http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 08:39:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crysis 2  (Read 11638 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2011, 02:15:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 01, 2011, 02:10:04 PM

Crysis 2 seems to be like The Witcher was on release:  you can either have it run with zero problems or if you get one bug you get them all.

Yeah, but like The Witcher it's still a great game even with bugs. smile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2011, 07:29:49 PM »

Any news on the patch to fix the single player issues?  I don't want to start playing if I am going to lose all my progress.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 01, 2011, 07:34:30 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 01, 2011, 07:29:49 PM

Any news on the patch to fix the single player issues?  I don't want to start playing if I am going to lose all my progress.

over the last weekend supposedly someone from Crytek said there'd be a patch on Monday, then Monday they said no one from Crytek actually said that, and that there is no ETA on the next patch.  I've given up on the official forums after I realized the folks over in Libya were acting more civilized than the MyCrysis.net gang.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2011, 05:06:09 AM »

I got it on PC... it's pretty damn awesome.

Runs great on the 8800GT... high settings, res is 1440xwhatever widescreen thing...

No bugs at all so far.  Runs a lot better than Crysis, and is more enjoyable.
Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2011, 05:41:55 AM »

About three quarters the way through and I've come to realise that I like ME2 alot more for what ever reason as it is now a chore that I am unsure of how much more I will put up with before giving up.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2011, 04:59:35 AM »

Ok I got the game installed but I can't login through the game. i can go to the website and login fine but in the game it says my login stuff is wrong..but it isn't WTH

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2011, 05:00:20 AM »

Quote from: kratz on April 02, 2011, 05:06:09 AM

No bugs at all so far.  Runs a lot better than Crysis, and is more enjoyable.

yeah, I have to say it's smoother than the first game even with all the flickering.

Because I can,
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2011, 08:21:59 PM »

You will absolutely get better performance out of Crysis 2 than you ever did out of Crysis.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 05, 2011, 01:21:48 AM »

New York I love you (potentially spoilerish)

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: April 05, 2011, 08:39:11 AM »

Hey guys, I've got a weird problem I've never encountered in a shooter before.

I can't use the Sprint (hold shift) and jump at the same time, that includes the power jump. This makes some segments a bit difficult since sprinting and power jumping from a sprint is key to mobility in some segments.

Anyone encountered this before? I don't have anything like this problem in other games, even other shooters. I've got a logitech illuminated keyboard, very good quality so it can't be anything like too many keypresses.
Grimwar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 05, 2011, 10:05:51 AM »

Is it a fairly new one?  I read that Logitech purposefully set up their non-gaming keyboards to not allow you to do that so they can sell more G series keyboards.  It sounds crazy that they would do that but I have seen many people report the same issue with non G series Logitech keyboards.

Playing: Nothing really.  Bring on Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: April 05, 2011, 11:23:21 AM »

Yep, looks like it's Logitech's fault. It's pretty common with later version of the illuminated keyboard, my older one that died due to water spill could handle everything fine.

They talk about how it's a hardware issue, but every other combination works, including Shift+S+Space. There's really no reason why Shift W Space would not work when even my crappy old keyboards could do so.

Going to see about rebinding some keys.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 05, 2011, 04:26:12 PM »

I don't see it mentioned here yet, but the 1.2 patch went up yesterday.  I have the non-Steam version so it came down automatically through the EA Download Manager when I started the game.

I was previously losing about 100 Nano Juice every time I exited the game, but the problems seems to have been fixed since installing the patch.

-Autistic Angel
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 05, 2011, 08:27:23 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 05, 2011, 11:23:21 AM

Yep, looks like it's Logitech's fault. It's pretty common with later version of the illuminated keyboard, my older one that died due to water spill could handle everything fine.

They talk about how it's a hardware issue, but every other combination works, including Shift+S+Space. There's really no reason why Shift W Space would not work when even my crappy old keyboards could do so.

Going to see about rebinding some keys.

Another bonus to spending the cash on a good mechanical keyboard: Many of them are full NKRO, so you can literally hit any combination of keys and never worry about that kind of garbage.

I have a Leopold Tenkeyless and a DasKeyboard Professional Silent that both have no limits whatsoever on key combinations.

I'll never buy another shitty rubber dome based keyboard again. Granted, your Logitech is a laptop style scissor switch board so it's definitely good for typing, but... meh. As you've found out, definitely not a good keyboard for gaming.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:29:05 PM by Thin_J » Logged

Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 06, 2011, 01:21:40 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on April 05, 2011, 08:27:23 PM

I have a Leopold Tenkeyless and a DasKeyboard Professional Silent that both have no limits whatsoever on key combinations.
Okay, I know not much about keyboards and haven't bothered to look those up, but just the names make them sound like they'd be expensive German imports!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: April 06, 2011, 01:43:05 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 05, 2011, 04:26:12 PM

I don't see it mentioned here yet, but the 1.2 patch went up yesterday.  I have the non-Steam version so it came down automatically through the EA Download Manager when I started the game.

I was previously losing about 100 Nano Juice every time I exited the game, but the problems seems to have been fixed since installing the patch.

-Autistic Angel

Yay, now I can finally try out the game I bought a couple weeks ago.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 06, 2011, 10:49:10 PM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on April 06, 2011, 01:21:40 AM

Okay, I know not much about keyboards and haven't bothered to look those up, but just the names make them sound like they'd be expensive German imports!

I don't actually know where the DasKeyboard folks are at. The Leopold is imported from Japan.

Both are $100 or over, depending on sale prices or whatever. If you think about how much time you spend on your average keyboard, it really isn't a bad thing at all to spend some extra money on.

My typing improved significantly after I switched.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: April 06, 2011, 11:16:28 PM »

Also, those things look really durable and the key style looks resistant to spills in case you eat at the same table you work/game.

I've actually lost 2 illuminated keyboards due to spills, costly mistakes. But it's the only keyboard of this kind that I like, and the keys are very quiet, the main reason why I switched from my mechanical keyboard, since I type hard the clacking was driving me insane, and probably my housemates too. If that quieter Das Keyboard works as advertised, I may check it out.

I encountered an odd crash bug in the transition between two missions. As soon as the intro movie to the mission ended, the game would freeze on a black screen. Thankfully I got around it by simply choosing the next mission from the chapter select. Pretty annoying, and I'm not sure what caused it.

Anyway, the game is still out and out fun. One thing I didn't realize until late was that using a silencer on a gun drastically reduced the amount of energy used when shooting while cloaked. I also want to try some more running and gunning so looks like I'll need to experiment with the laser sight and other suit upgrades.

One thing Crysis has going for it is the scale. A lot of FPS games, even some of the most realistic, have environments that look very compressed, like they were trying to fit everything on a small sound stage. Crysis really, really looks like you're in a proper big city, of course they had New York itself to base things on, but it's still impressive.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 11:24:03 PM by Turtle » Logged
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 07, 2011, 12:15:15 AM »

Turtle, do you know what kind of switches your previous board had in it?

The Das silent model and other Cherry Brown switch based boards are going to be quieter than anything using Cherry Blue or Cherry Black switches, but still louder than any rubber dome board you'll ever use.

Back to Crysis 2: It's so friggin nice to not lose my nanowhateverstuff every time I leave the game.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 07, 2011, 02:10:17 AM »

This Logitech G15 I use is illuminated and I can sprint and jump at the same time. Maybe it's old enough to work?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 07, 2011, 02:10:23 AM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on April 06, 2011, 01:21:40 AM

Quote from: Thin_J on April 05, 2011, 08:27:23 PM

only the best from the fatherland!

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 07, 2011, 06:47:39 AM »

I have a wonderful new bug now. This one is hindering me though. I cannot reload a shotgun. Doesn't matter how many I pick up or mod or not mod , I just cannot reload them. even standing at ammo caches. All other weapons reload fine.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 07, 2011, 08:38:36 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 06, 2011, 01:43:05 AM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 05, 2011, 04:26:12 PM

-Autistic Angel

Yay, now I can finally try out the game I bought a couple weeks ago.

looks like they're still working on a driver fix.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: April 08, 2011, 09:23:48 AM »

Finished the game, thoughts:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Interesting fighting. The Ceph were definitely a worthy enemy to fight and made you use a lot of suit abilities. The cloaking enemies at the end were tough to fight and took almost too many bullets to kill. But running around while being stalked by them was fun.

I saved up early and got the Stealth Enhance as my fourth upgrade, which made sneaking around way easier, almost too easy. I almost wish that they would have done more things to get past your stealth. Such as scanner sweeps and even certain human enemies using tools that can see you stealthed, but not instantly and with limitations. This way there could be more interesting gameplay if you choose to sneak around. Some of the ceph use those spherical energy pulses to drain all your suit energy, but those could be easily avoided. At least the hunters could kind of see you while stealthed, forcing you to stay moving.

Likewise, I would have liked if they put in a bit more upgrades for people who want to turn on armor mode and go in guns blazing in a style more akin to Halo. Of course, grabbing one of those .50 cal turrets and taking it with you with armor mode on is essentially "Maximum Killing Machine" mode, something that I took every opportunity to do.

As for the end, I think it's more that Prophet's consciousness got transferred into the suit, and that towards the end he basically merged with Alcatraz and took over. Where the Ceph were taking Prophet over, Prophet was taking Alcatraz over as represented by the player slowly revealing more of Prophet's memories.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:27:03 AM by Turtle » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2011, 01:12:33 AM »

CryTek confirms DX11 patch.

for now.

check back next week for a denial.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2011, 06:20:15 AM »

All done. Since I can't play multiplayer and they don't seem to care because they aren't fixing it...i just deleted it when I got done. really wanted to play MP..it's a big reason I bought it. shit

Ok now Ceekay you post,
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 08:22:27 AM by Daehawk » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2011, 08:29:10 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 08, 2011, 09:23:48 AM

Finished the game, thoughts:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Interesting fighting. The Ceph were definitely a worthy enemy to fight and made you use a lot of suit abilities. The cloaking enemies at the end were tough to fight and took almost too many bullets to kill. But running around while being stalked by them was fun.

ugh, I was afraid they'd do something like that.  kinda makes me miss the Koreans.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2011, 08:33:05 AM »

Actually, it was only those guys that took too many bullets to kill. The rest of the time things took a reasonable amount of shots to kill, and anything that was on the tougher side tended to have a good reason why it was tougher.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2011, 08:59:33 AM »

I think I'm near the end, not sure, but I don't think it's as good as Crysis. It's a good game, but I thought Crysis was excellent, not merely good.

I think the graphics are worse strangely enough. There are a couple of scenes where it's raining, and for instance the rain went through some parts of the roof. This always kind of bugs me, and I thought in Crysis 1 it was implemented better. Also, the setting of urban New York just feels more limiting (and ugly) than the beautiful paradise island. Views are not as grand neither. It does run smoother though.

Gameplay feels like a step backwards too. The environment limits you more, the new powers make the action more 'simple' (faster recharge of the suit's powers, stronger invisibility, instakill-moves, a very strong 'armour'-mode), the enemies don't react particularly smart...

It's a good game, but the highlights of the previous game (vehicles, large open environments, destructable scenery, believable enemy behaviour) have been removed.

Lastly, the story feels rather disjointed, chaotic, clumsy, and is just not very well executed. The Halo-games suffer from this as well. I really don't like the way these modern games create a story. Half the time you have no clue what's going on, and they just complicate things for the sake of it. Does anyone feel all these movies showing your suit with vague symbols, alien viruses and technical mumbo-jumbo talk add anything? What's wrong with a clear story about -oh, I don't know - the alien invasion? Right now it feels more like a hindsight... Very weird.

By contrast, the story of Crysis 1 wasn't anything great, but it at least had an enjoyable cast and some clear, obvious scenes. You always knew your role in the big picture.

Still, I like the game, but I don't like how they changed the direction the series is going in. I'd rate this a 7 so far (and Crysis a 9).
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2011, 09:05:51 AM »

I agree rocketman These stories are just a jumble of randomness these days. Theres not one out there that makes sense in any order.

Also I prefer the games in the order they came out...Far Cry then Crysis then Crysis 2. I'd prefer to have a new Far Cry on an island. I did really like Crysis 2's game play. But it really made me want to go back and play the first two games again.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2011, 09:06:08 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 15, 2011, 08:33:05 AM

Actually, it was only those guys that took too many bullets to kill. The rest of the time things took a reasonable amount of shots to kill, and anything that was on the tougher side tended to have a good reason why it was tougher.

OK, that sounds better.

on another note, looks like Pscyho is getting another outing  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 22, 2011, 08:50:42 AM »

Ok, finished the game on medium setting.

It felt really long. The last 6 missions or so I thought I was at the finale, only to find out there was yet another newer and bigger problem, so it started to drag for me. They had some good setpieces, but I never felt as any of it really mattered.

I think there were a lot of good ingredients to make this a very good game, but I felt it never really delivered.

The story sucked. It was really bad. It was full of macho-talk, epic (but hollow) hollywood-moments, melodrama, and just overall it felt very puberal. "They call me... Prophet." <stare into distance>. Oh please, just shup up.
The pacing was bad as well. A lot of shooters suffer from this. I much prefer the predator-approach (crysis 1) to the rollercoaster-ride this one offers.

The gameplay felt too aerodynamicized  ninja2 The suit's powers were too good and unbalanced, causing me to play very carelessly. Why wouldn't I? I could always hop behind a wall, and after 2 seconds put on armour-mode again. The same with invisibility, it was too good. Again, Crysis 1 scored way better by making you weaker. I like taking it slowly, thinking about an aproach, and then implementing my plan. I didn't need to here, even against some of those very strong alien guys.

I *still* think highly of Half-Life 1 today. Why is that? Mainly because of the awesome set-pieces against the marines in that game, and the great pacing. I can't understand why this game (or the latest Call of Duty to name another) score so highly. I feel they are very much inferior to older shooters. Or is it me? Call me disappointed.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:54:06 AM by The Rocketman » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 22, 2011, 02:56:12 PM »

editor and SDK due out this summer

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 10, 2011, 05:04:47 PM »

first DLC map pack hits the 17th.  still waiting on the DX11 patch.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 26, 2011, 08:58:45 PM »

Details on the next patch:

New Features
• Added advanced graphics options
• Added F1 to vote during vote kicks
• Prematch mode for ranked servers added allowing people to fight on the map until sufficient players have joined for the ranked play to start
• Upped the default score limits in some game modes:
• - Crash Site has a limit of 175 (was 150)
• - Team Instant Action has a limit of 75 (was 50)
• - Instant Action has a limit of 30 (was 25)

Fixes
• Fixed vote kicking not working for players with certain characters in their name
• Fixed ping display displaying 1000 for many servers in the PC server browser
• Fixed issue where terrain would be rendered in black on some levels
• Fixed single player save games with broken nano catalyst values (NB: This is for existing save games!)
• Fixed under-barrel attachment HUD displaying incorrectly
• Fixed minor 'Loadout Pro' exploit
• Fixed issue with being melee'd during a ledge grab (which could lead to fly exploits)
• Fixed some AI spawning issues in single player
• Fixed rare crash in single player
• Fixed an audio loop issue on the single player level "Semper Fi"
• Fixed an issue with the DLC store which could lead to players not being able to access the purchase history tab. Players can now access this tab, and from there download their DLC straight into their game and have it auto installed for them
• Fixed other cosmetic issues in the DLC store
• Fixed Light Shotgun attachment skill assessment not being levelled up
• Optimization to SSAO
• Further Anti cheat improvements
• Tweaked in-game audio dialogue (player taunts, announcements, etc) to be more diverse with more content for more events
• Mystery dog tags unlocked whilst not connected to a server will now remain unlocked
• Players that have rebooted will no longer be able to enter "New Recruits" servers

Balance Changes
• Balance changes to a variety of weapons, including:
• - JAW rocket speed and damage reduced
• - Under-barrel shotgun effectiveness reduced
• - Removed accuracy bonus for crouching with HMG
• - Increased K-Volt damage
• Balance changes to a variety of nanosuit modules, including:
• - Reduced the bonus that extended mags provides
• - Point fire enhance has improved effectiveness
• - Mobility Enhance has reduced effectiveness
• Balance change to Maximum Suit's armour: effectiveness has been slightly reduced
• Balance change to headshot damage from 1.8x to 1.5x

no ETA on when it'll be out though.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 15, 2011, 09:10:55 AM »

well, if you were waiting for a Steam sale you might have to wait awhile, because it's now an Origin (EA's own version of Steam) exclusive and no longer being sold through Steam.  people who own it through Steam can still download it and all, there's just no new sales.  it looks like Steam is the only place it got pulled from too so far.

Because I can,
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 15, 2011, 12:29:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 15, 2011, 09:10:55 AM

well, if you were waiting for a Steam sale you might have to wait awhile, because it's now an Origin (EA's own version of Steam) exclusive and no longer being sold through Steam.  people who own it through Steam can still download it and all, there's just no new sales.  it looks like Steam is the only place it got pulled from too so far.

lol, Way to lose some sales EA. This was an eventual buy from a Steam sale for me. Now I doubt I will ever buy it. Heck I finally bought and beat the first Crisis off of a Steam sale a couple of months ago.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 15, 2011, 05:06:47 PM »

Ugh. Guess its going back PC-DVD sales for EA games. Will not be installing another gaming service to download games. If their games start requiring Origin to install I'll be pretty POed.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: June 15, 2011, 05:38:18 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on June 15, 2011, 05:06:47 PM

Ugh. Guess its going back PC-DVD sales for EA games. Will not be installing another gaming service to download games. If their games start requiring Origin to install I'll be pretty POed.

That's probably what's going to happen. The Old Republic will be exclusively available through that shitty portal, for example. There's no way I'm going to support a consumer-hostile move like that. You're not supposed to tell the customers where to go. You're supposed to go where the customers are. Sure, they'll get away from the 30% service fee Valve requires, but they'll piss off almost every single online customer they have in the process. Is it worth it? It better fucking not be.
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 15, 2011, 06:02:08 PM »

I guess I won't be playing EA games anymore. I have Steam, GOG and Impulse accounts, and that's more than enough for me. I only buy games through other distribution channels (only physical media actually) when there's a significant price difference. For example, The Witcher 2 was 30 for a physical copy at Play.com, while Steam sold it for 50. For a 40% difference I'm willing deal with not having it in my regular digital collection. I doubt EA is going to give me such a discount for forcing me to buy their games through their crap service. I guess I'll stick 'em in the trash can next to Ubisoft (haven't bought a single one of their PC games since they introduced their DRM).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: