http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 11:04:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crusader Kings II out  (Read 2715 times)
Arnir
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2012, 05:27:43 PM »

I just downloaded my pre-order from Gamersgate.  For once the download speeds were decent.  I'm teaching all day, so it will be a while before I can try it out.
BTW, if you pre-ordered DLC, it is redeemed from the in-game store.  You can also buy DLC there using GG's blue coins.  Just FYI.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 08:00:54 PM »

Surprised there isn't more chatter on this.  There is a demo for those who are interested.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 11:15:41 PM »

Do give a bit more info, as I'm new (again) to PC games, but I like the title of this one.  I'm guessing strategic management?  On a grand scale?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 11:55:13 PM »

Not really my thing, but I did like this line in the review I read:

Crusader Kings II is a grand-strategy game with a twist. Starting in 1066 and lasting for 400 years in real-time

You can play this game for 400 YEARS in real time, that alone is awesome lol.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 12:23:16 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on February 14, 2012, 11:15:41 PM

Do give a bit more info, as I'm new (again) to PC games, but I like the title of this one.  I'm guessing strategic management?  On a grand scale?

Check out the review here:  http://www.outofeight.info/2012/02/crusader-kings-ii-review.html

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 07:21:18 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 14, 2012, 11:55:13 PM

Not really my thing, but I did like this line in the review I read:

Crusader Kings II is a grand-strategy game with a twist. Starting in 1066 and lasting for 400 years in real-time

You can play this game for 400 YEARS in real time, that alone is awesome lol.
Just make sure not to step away from the computer after 200 years as you'll instantly disintegrate into a pile of dust.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 08:55:39 PM »

I always get Crusader Kings mixed up with the King's Crusade.  Rather different though.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 03:45:20 AM »

I just noticed this game the other day, so I dug up some info on it and it  looks very good. It sort of sounds like Medieval 2 TW, but grand-strategic only as opposed to grand strategic+tactical. Interesting that it lets you start at the Norman conquest and conclude at the closing year of the 100 Years War.

That review in this thread describes it as having RPG features, but I didn't get that impression from anything else I read? Can anyone here that has it confirm whether or not it does?
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 03:00:02 PM »

I am actually considering get this off Steam

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 03:19:33 PM »

The 1.03b patch is out now.

Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 05:18:13 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 17, 2012, 03:45:20 AM

That review in this thread describes it as having RPG features, but I didn't get that impression from anything else I read? Can anyone here that has it confirm whether or not it does?

It doesn't have RPG features in the traditional sense. What it has are events that can change your character's traits. For example, you might get an event that pops up asking if you'd like to lead a hunt for a giant boar. Depending on your choice of whether or not to go on the hunt and whether or not you are successful on the hunt, your character could earn the trait Brave, or Coward, or Timid, or ...

The traits that your character earns effect your realm, but they aren't traditional level-ups or abilities that you choose deliberately. They come through the course of the game.

I've got the game and can't wait to spend time with it. I loved the original. In the few minutes I've had to jump in and look around, it looks and feels great.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 06:23:43 PM »

Quote from: Qantaga on February 17, 2012, 05:18:13 PM

It doesn't have RPG features in the traditional sense. What it has are events that can change your character's traits. For example, you might get an event that pops up asking if you'd like to lead a hunt for a giant boar. Depending on your choice of whether or not to go on the hunt and whether or not you are successful on the hunt, your character could earn the trait Brave, or Coward, or Timid, or ...

The traits that your character earns effect your realm, but they aren't traditional level-ups or abilities that you choose deliberately. They come through the course of the game.

I've got the game and can't wait to spend time with it. I loved the original. In the few minutes I've had to jump in and look around, it looks and feels great.

Let us know how it goes.   I love games like Civ, nabanBLAHs ambition, etc.   I am sort of in game overload at the moment however.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 07:08:34 PM »

I took the plunge on Steam and after reading the thread OO I am sold.  Leaning curve be damned

NiM$
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 05:16:26 AM »

Quote from: Qantaga on February 17, 2012, 05:18:13 PM

Wow, that sounds very cool.

I've noticed this is getting excellent reviews from some sites. I'm getting it for sure. slywink thumbsup
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 03:58:25 PM »

Link to a guide at the forums:  http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?588062-GUIDE-An-in-depth-guide-to-CKII&p=13463062#post13463062

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 05:50:46 AM »

I've also been playing this.  Best Paradox game in some time.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 06:26:33 AM »

Agreed..I really wish they'd finally update their technical work (the multiplayer setup is horrific - straight from the 80s), but the actual game play is oh so sweet.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 11:24:13 AM »

yeah, I am enjoying myself

NiM$
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 05:25:02 PM »

I finally got the chance to play some today.

It's a blast. In my first four years in Scotland, I have imprisoned my brother (for plotting to kill my heir) and my marshall (for plotting to overthrow me), re-married (I was a widow at game's launch), have a new child on the way, and have to decide if I want to press a claim against a vassal of Norway.

So much fun.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 06:29:18 AM »

Is a fifteen minute wait from launch to main menu normal, or an indication the game isn't playing nicely with my system?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 07:22:23 AM »

Defintely not normal..I think I wait 2-3 minutes or somesuch, but nowhere near 15 minutes.

A new one
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 11:24:11 AM »

yeah, doesn't take the long for me.. Actually, it noticed it takes longer to boot up on my laptop versus my desktop.  My desktop is for gaming

NiM$
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 07:31:48 PM »

RPS's Wot I think.

Be warned, even if you only have a slight interest in this game, this review will probably push you over the top. Adam Smith makes it sound like the game I have always dreamed of playing as I was reading a history book. I bought it, but haven't had a chance to play it, can't wait to dive in.

This alone will appeal to a lot of people:
Heck, do you like A Game of Thrones? This is the best Game of Thrones game you will probably ever play, unless you really need the fantasy element and if you do, then for Godís sake just pretend that pagans are riding wolves and French people have six eyes or whatever it is you need to do, but play this game. Thereís incest and intrigue aplenty and isnít that what GRRARGH Martin is really all about?
onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 05:31:27 AM »

Quote from: Shkspr on February 22, 2012, 06:29:18 AM

Is a fifteen minute wait from launch to main menu normal, or an indication the game isn't playing nicely with my system?

On my laptop, I find I have to set the affinity of the program to a single CPU and then it is *much* happier.

To do this, right click the ck2.exe process in Task Manager or use the windows "start" app - http://blog.tune-up.com/windows-insights/assign-processor-affinity-to-improve-performance/.  Not sure how well "start" plays with steam shortcuts, however.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:34:31 AM by onnel » Logged
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 05:14:12 PM »

Anyone playing this?   Is it really good?
onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 07:27:19 AM »

Yes and yes.  May just be my favorite paradox game.  If you enjoyed the original, get this.  The family stuff is such a nice addition and really adds a great roleplaying/storytelling element to the game.  My brother and i have also been having great luck with pretty much rock solid 2 player multiplayer (both on broadband) which is fantastic.  4 thumbs up (2 being my brother's).
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 05:40:32 PM »

There's also a demo available.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 12:38:14 AM »

Played through a couple of the tutorials in the demo.  I love the maps, but, I really don't understand wtf is going on..

Looks to be allot of topics in the tutorial though.  Not sure I have the will to figure it all out.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 04:40:39 AM »

If anyone is still interested in this game, it's on sale on Amazon for $9.99, USA residents only.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 04:32:49 AM »

Just a heads up to folks that might still be interested in this game, or maybe got the base game and not all the DLC. Steam has had CKII and most of the DLC on sale this week, 75% off. The sale ends in 37 or so hours. I picked up the main DLC packages Legacy of Rome, Sword of Islam and The Republic, although I opted out of the Aztec invasion one as that just sounds a bit too, well, odd for my tastes.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 08:42:07 AM »

My son saw it in the Steam sale and he knew I'd been meaning to get it for the past year. He bought it, along with The Republic expansion, for me as one of my birthday gifts. slywink  I'm looking forward to exploring it later this evening.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 08:43:54 AM by kronovan » Logged
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 03:40:11 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 21, 2013, 08:42:07 AM

My son saw it in the Steam sale and he knew I'd been meaning to get it for the past year. He bought it, along with The Republic expansion, for me as one of my birthday gifts. slywink  I'm looking forward to exploring it later this evening.

I hadn't played it in several months, but getting the DLC motivated me to try again. This time I quit worrying about studying the manual and the user's guide and all the numbers and nuances and just play for fun. I ended up staying up half the night ruling my little duchy, marrying off my children to lock me into some bigger kingdoms, overthrowing my neighbors, and (oops) having to throw my son into prison when he refused to return the title to me that I gave him when he was two years old. Well, he got to enjoy it for four years, what is he complaining about??  icon_biggrin

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 04:18:08 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on February 21, 2013, 03:40:11 PM

I hadn't played it in several months, but getting the DLC motivated me to try again. This time I quit worrying about studying the manual and the user's guide and all the numbers and nuances and just play for fun. I ended up staying up half the night ruling my little duchy, marrying off my children to lock me into some bigger kingdoms, overthrowing my neighbors, and (oops) having to throw my son into prison when he refused to return the title to me that I gave him when he was two years old. Well, he got to enjoy it for four years, what is he complaining about??  icon_biggrin

Wow, that sounds like 1 awesome gaming session! I doubt I'll get anywhere near that far into it tonight  - I'm one of those gamers that has to read the manual for strategy games to avoid feeling completely lost in the first 15 minutes.  icon_confused  I noticed a few fans have created some video tutorials and posted them on the Steam community guides site, so I'll probably will check out 1 of those.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 04:34:05 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 21, 2013, 04:18:08 PM

Quote from: jztemple2 on February 21, 2013, 03:40:11 PM

I hadn't played it in several months, but getting the DLC motivated me to try again.  I noticed a few fans have created some video tutorials and posted them on the Steam community guides site, so I'll probably will check out 1 of those.

Here's a video series I found useful.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2013, 06:24:54 PM »

Good God this game is deep. In my 1st game I'm playing the Abyssinians with their Miaphysite flavor of Christianity. At one point I attempted to exploit some possibilities by marrying my daughter into a Sunni Islam family. Before I knew it my daughter's new husband was in prison, my daughter was back in my kingdom and shortly after a screen popped up with a portrait of her husband with an agonized look and a scream of pain - he was dead. I swear I didn't make any careless clicks on dialog boxes. From what I can make of it my daughter had a nasty streak in her character (think it was an Intrigue thing) and just plotted his demise.  eek Being new to the game, I wasn't being too careful about who educated her, so maybe she learned a bad trait. I had time accelerated at 1 point without many pauses, so I guess maybe I may have made a bad click or 2, but for those who've played this game a lot - can nasty shit like that go down?

Needless to say I haven't married any of my children into an Islamic family since.   icon_cool
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2013, 03:24:24 PM »

There's a new DLC expansion out called the The Old Gods. It apparently adds lots of Viking and northern European pagan content. I didn't get it myself, because I just bought the Sword of the Caliph and Legacy of Rome expansions in the sale and haven't had a chance to play any of the Republic expansion yet. From what I'm reading on the Paradox CK II forum The Old Gods is an excellent expansion.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2013, 03:33:07 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on May 29, 2013, 03:24:24 PM

There's a new DLC expansion out called the The Old Gods. It apparently adds lots of Viking and northern European pagan content. I didn't get it myself, because I just bought the Sword of the Caliph and Legacy of Rome expansions in the sale and haven't had a chance to play any of the Republic expansion yet. From what I'm reading on the Paradox CK II forum The Old Gods is an excellent expansion.

I'm waiting for a sale on Old Gods, figure it'll come soon enough.  I've only been dabbling with the game on and off even though I've been grabbing all the expansions when they go on sale for cheap, one of these days I need to dive in.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2013, 03:40:14 PM »

To accommodate the new DLC there was a pretty massive patch to the game released yesterday. It may (probably will) affect any saved games you have underway.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2013, 04:11:10 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on May 29, 2013, 03:40:14 PM

To accommodate the new DLC there was a pretty massive patch to the game released yesterday. It may (probably will) affect any saved games you have underway.

The only save I'd be concerned about would be my Abyssinian empire game, but I got stomped so badly by the Fatimids I doubt I'll play it any further.  icon_eek
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2013, 05:32:09 PM »

Might have to end my HRE play through.  The old Kaiser passed away and his 14 yr old son has inherited his old titles including Kaiser and 99% of his vassal are ready to revolt.  Don't think I can hold onto the crowns and duchies I've accumulated.  Might play it out just to see how long I can last

NiM$
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: