http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 11:09:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crusader Kings II: An After Action Report  (Read 2391 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2012, 12:37:44 AM »

15 September 1066

I find myself in the 60yo body of Duke Isleifur I of Iceland.  I have no wife.  I have no memories of a wife.  Maybe that’s why my son, Teitur Isleifursson, is so good at being my spymaster. He’s not thrilled with the gavelkind succession, but as he’s my only son.  I’m not likely to have another; I may see if there’s something I can do about that.  Teitur needs for me to wait until I’m 70 to get the rules changed.  Of course, if I die before then, it’s kind of a moot point.

Well, regardless of the line of succession, that will likely sort itself out, it’s time to find a wife.  I’m rather paranoid, so I need to make my selection carefully.  It doesn’t look like there’s anyone chomping at the bit to warm my old bones in this frozen wasteland.  Gwenllian Mathrafal, age 24, the eldest daughter of Duke Bleddyn I of Gwynedd in Wales appears to be a good match. And will cement an alliance with her father.  

Before we send the boat off with that missive, my chaste son has been too busy scheming to protect my coronet (I hope), that he has not seen fit to put effort into finding a wife of his own.  We shall endeavor to fix that.  Princess Urraka Gartzez Jimena of Navarra, aged 26, appears to be a great match.  She is of an age with my son, and second daughter of King Antso IV of Navarra, giving my son a leg up in the world, and netting us another alliance.

Hmm, my advisor seems to think I need to set an ambition.  One of those on his short list appears to be, “Get Married”.  I think I’ll pick that one.  
Well, I’d better get these letters off to the steward so that he can get them off on the tides.  I hope they can clear the bay before the ice floes set in.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 12:39:04 AM »

26 September 1066
God is good!  Teitur and Urraka are married!  I have paid for the wedding without deferring the cost to the people.  I hope they appreciate the sacrifice that I have made for them.  

27 September 1066
While I await the answer regarding my own nuptials, it is time to review my council.

Chancellor: Gunnar av Goddalir – Masterful Diplomat.  He likes my diligence and his paycheck, and I like him as a person.  As long as he continues to exhibit his skills in service of the duchy, he will have a lifetime of my gratitude and such rewards as I can grant him
Marshal: Ogmund av Akureyri – Competent Commander.    Also likes my diligence, and I’m a fan of his as well.  He won’t supplant Gunnar as my favorite (non-kin) council member, but he’s a fine chap and one I trust to lead my armies.
Steward: Harald av Hrisey – Decent Administrator.  While he may be competent enough to keep gold in the coffers, he’s a hedonistic, envious little drunken prick.  How I might have come to appoint him, I will never know.  He won’t last the year.  I need to have Teitur keep an eye on him.
Spymaster: Teitur Isleifursson – Competent Schemer.  My son.  His strategery and diligence have, I assume, served me well over the last few years.  Short of an outright betrayal, I will do everything in my power to give him whatever he desires.
Court Chaplain: Bård av Kirkjubaer – Competent Scholar.  The man is masterful as a theologian, but is he ever hard on the eyes.  A hunchbacked, slovenly coward, the man takes every mild criticism as a terrible rebuke and will cringe in the face of any wrath.  Time will tell if I keep him around, as it is a pain to watch him, regardless of his intelligence and skill.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:55:10 AM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 06:55:27 PM »

Update?  What's happening in the realm today? 
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:26:30 PM »

The duke is napping while his guiding spirit works to pay the bills.  There is an October 1st update written, but not yet published, as it is short.

Coming up: We review our one vassal, see how he's doing, and tour the two counties to see if we can afford any upgrades.  And pondering continues on the future of Harald av Hrisey.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 09:15:10 PM »

Your steward sounds almost like the Imp, Tyrion Lannister.  As long as he's good at his job, I might turn a blind eye to the other stuff.  Besides, I'm guessing you can always "remove" him later, if needed.  It sounds like the duke may have to watch his back if his son continues to develop as competent spymaster.

You might open up a can of worms you don't want if you put a strong, charasmatic person in the Court Chaplain role. Maybe the weak Court Chaplain is a good thing.     
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:48:12 PM »

1 October 1066
Gwenllian has arrived and the wedding was spectacular.  Again, the wedding was accounted for out of our own coffers.  The people rejoiced to see their duke married once again (for the first time?).  The doctor warns me about senility in my dotage, but I worry about it not. 

7 October 1066
My advisor tells me I need a new ambition.  The short list is not very appealing.  I may have him flogged, as the first one on the list is “See my wife dead”.  The gall of the man!  The others fare little better.  As we are a poor land, I fail to see a path to becoming “wealthy”.  And as I am not an overly pious man, I don’t see becoming what the church would consider a Paragon of Virtue to be remotely plausible.

This last one has promise:  “Have a daughter.”  I don’t know that I have it in me, but I shall certainly enjoy trying. 

It’s past time for our Steward to receive a closer look.  A quick review of what few hangers on that I have shows that not one of them would be a better choice for filling the coffers.  I suppose our dear “friend” Harald will be put to use regardless of my current feelings on the matter.

Currently on the Western half of the island, we have Count Sigfus af Oddi of Vestisland.   Seems a decent enough sort.  He is over the mayor of the one non-capital city on this frozen rock, Alftanes.  The mayor also happens to be his spymaster.  We shall have to watch the pair of them carefully. 

1 November 1066
The capital of Hrisey is woefully unprotected.  We don’t have much in the way of funds, but we must secure the town from any enemies.  While I may not have found them yet, I know that they are there.  I have given orders to construct a wooden palisade around the town forthwith.  The engineers tell me that it will take a full year.  I told them that Harald, my wonderful steward, will be more than happy to oversee construction and do everything he can to speed things along.  Two birds with one stone, as it were.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 11:50:54 PM »

On an associated game note, the consummation of my marriage was quite a gamble.  There was 20% chance that I would gain the Lustful trait.  There was a 40% chance that it would kill me.  I made the 48% probability roll and ended up with neither result. 

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 02:52:19 AM »

must... resist... until... steamless...

in other news, please keep it coming isgrimnur!  im chomping at the bit for this one!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 03:06:36 AM »

I'm glad you're enjoying it.   icon_biggrin

1 December 1066
The month of November has passed quietly.  But it is time to send out the Council to further my goals.  Being the closest to my domain, I have begun eyeing the island of Faereyar.  Unfortunately, my council tells me that it is held directly by the King of Norway, Harald Hardrada.  I don’t imagine he will just hand it over if I ask nicely, especially since he seems to want MY title.  Seeing as he’s currently attempting to sack York, perhaps the Saxons will rid me of him.  One can only hope and pray.

In any event, I have sent Gunnar off to Faereyar to see if he can drum up a claim for me on the county.  Ogmund has been set to researching military technology.  If he can gain us an advantage when my hidden enemies appear, we can sweep them into the sea!  Teitur, I have sent to Vestisland.  While things may seem peaceful on the island, I have sent him to uncover any plots that Count Sigfus and his spy mayor may be hatching.  And finally, I have sent Bård out into the countryside to research culture and any benefits that may bring.  I hope the local villagers don’t hunt him down by mistaking him for a troll.

24 December 1066
Christmas Eve!  Truly a wonderful time.  In honor of all the blessings bestowed upon my family these last two months, I am throwing a large feast in the capital.  All are invited.  Truly, it shall be a grand affair.

26 December 1066
Heeding my call, a troupe of acrobats has come to the capital to seek a venue to perform.  It shall be an honor to have them attend.  The fire breather!  He, too, shall entertain my guests! Steward, pay the Fool and the man that smells like a still!

19 January 1067
The head chef has come to me to get my opinion on the level of lavishness of food to prepare for the feast.  Apparently, he has a really good supplier at Côstcô, as all the options will cost me the same.  The best of food for everyone!

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 02:38:39 AM »

20 January 1067
As it is a feast, I shall send the invitation to my vassal, Count Sigfus.  For the boar hunt, I shall defer from taking it myself and pass the honor to my son. 

12 February 1067
My sweet wife has come to me to tell me that she desires a daughter.  I tell her than I am more than willing to help her in that matter whenever she desires and that I share her feelings on the matter.

21 March 1067
The feast is prepared.  The Count has arrived.  Let the celebrations begin!

22 March 1067
Apparently, Sigfus did not care for the food!  He has been overheard disparaging my kitchen to anyone who will stand to listen!  This is an outrage!

10 April 1067
The feast is completed. Everyone left happy.  My spies indicate that Count Sigfus found the feast as a whole to be fabulous, his opinion of the food notwithstanding, and greatly enjoyed the entertainment.  I’m so glad that he could enjoy his stay.  However, I am not sorry to see him go.  May his horse stumble and his cloak be moth-eaten! I suppose I should do what I can to keep his opinion of me high, but I am ambivalent about his fate.  I will do what I must to keep him happy, but I shan’t enjoy a moment of it.

(I got an 8 point boost on his opinion of me from the feast.  He got a -10, taking my opinion down to 1, for his mouthing off about the food.)

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 02:55:56 AM »

Thank goodness someone else is playing this besides me! I picked it up on the 75% sale on Amazon a couple of weeks back and have been periodically leading my people of Leon in northern Spain (or what will become Spain, eventually). I've been battling the Moors on and off, but they have consolidated their power base and I'm a mite cautious about kicking over that anthill again. Meantime I've gone through four generations of rulers; the last one died years after being hit on the head in battle and turning into an idiot. The first two became idiots without any assistance biggrin. My current ruler decided to get on a different horse and by the age of 22 has sired five children. Father's Day won't be a festive occasion in a few years!

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 06:10:05 AM »

2 May 1066
God is great!  My wife is pregnant.  The wait to see if we have been blessed with a daughter will be interminable.

11 June 1067
My Marshal, Ogmund, has made it known to me that he desires to be wed.  I have had the steward review the reports of who is available, and found what I believe to be a suitable match for him in Vivili Hermegues, courtier to Count Egas of Castelo Branco in Galicia and daughter of Hermigio of Cavilhá, mayor of that town and spymaster of Castelo Branco.  Vivili is a maid of 19, six years younger than Ogmund.  Reports are that she is proud, yet charitable.  She does not appear to be strong-willed, however, which I believe will suit Ogmund just fine.  There may be some religious issues, but I’m sure the court chaplain can help soothe whatever conflits might arise.

27 June 1067
Vivili has arrived on our shores to wed Ogmund.  Truly a great day.  I hope that she will give him a happy marriage and a passel of children, which will hopefully ease her mind if I need to send my marshal into the field.

2 July 1067
A grandson!  Teitur and Urraka did not tell me that they were pregnant!  I must say, from the description, he does not seem a hardy sort.  When the new parents visit with the child, I shall have to ensure the nursery is set up well outside my normal paths.
(Initial impression of my grandson: -7)

18 August 1067
I have decided to institute the Limited Crown Authority Law in the Kingdom of Norway.  Since this is a Crown Law and you are a formal elector of Norway, you may vote, even though you are not my vassal … yet

Signed
King Olaf III of Norway
Well, it seems time did in his father, old King Harald Hardrada!  Reports are that he died of natural causes.  More’s the pity.  Unfortunately, old Harald seems to have convinced his upstart son that my duchy should belong to him as well! 

He can wait until puffins learn to tap dance.  I’m not approving a change from the autonomy his vassals have especially since he wants to try to make me one!  May the Saxons do to him what they could not to his father.

9 September 1067
The palisade around Hrisey is complete.  Unfortunately, it appears that we are out of funds for any further improvements at the moment.  I need to talk to the Harald av Hrisey and see what we can do to raise more money.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 04:20:07 AM »

23 September 1067
The messenger from Norway has brought foul tidings.  Apparently that brat, “King” Olaf III, managed to strong-arm enough votes to get his Limited Crown Authority passed.  Now, if he calls, his vassals will be expected to raise levies for his use.  May the day never come when I am to swear fealty to him, or any of his wretched family.

6 October 1067
After reviewing options with the steward, it appears that it time to demand a small feudal tax.  Count Sigfus enjoyed my hospitality enough at the feast, he can help pay for the bills.  I expect some small measure of disappointment from him regarding this, but nothing that his ego and coffers can not withstand.  After all, he has Reykjavík and its attendance tax revenue.

13 December 1067
A son!  While we were both wishing for a daughter, both my wife, Gwenllian, and I are happy to have a healthy child.  He shall be named Øystein Isleifursson.

2 January 1068
I swear, these council meetings are interminable!  Gunnar, Harald, and Bård are all moping about, whining about how lonely they are, how they have no one to warm their beds at night, no one to bear their children.  Needs be I get these lots married off just to get some peace and we can get some governing done.  Am I running a duchy or a matchmaking service?

Gunnar will be matched with Onega Hermegues, the younger sister of Ogmund’s wife.  A maid of sixteen, she is rumored to be a budding stateswoman, someone that could help Gunnar reach the heights of diplomacy and keep our enemies at bay.  The age difference of 20 years is a bit much, but Gunnar is full of life and could use a woman that can keep pace with him.

For Harald, I shall spend a bit less time, I think.  Count Svein of Rogaland on the Southeast coast of Norway has a courtier, one Alfhild Aslaksdatte, the daughter of Count Aslak, the previous count.  Rumors are that she is just and temperate, which should help keep Harald keep up with his stewardship duties. 

Our humble little hunchback Bård, we shall find a truly masterful match.  Ermessinde Chatenois, aged 40, courtier and niece to Duke Gerhard I of Upper Lorraine on the Western edge of the Holy Roman Empire.  Her father was Duke before him, but alas, passed away some twenty years gone.  Her previous husband passed away a decade ago of natural causes at the age of 35.  She has enough brains in her head to perhaps keep some semblance of conversation with our beloved scholar.  But reports are that she is proud and cruel.  I shudder to think what dinner would be like in their chambers.  But never let it be said that I do not grant my chaplain what he requests.

18 January 1068
By the frozen wastes, I am tired of weddings.  All three women have arrived and proceeded through their nuptials.  I am too old to sit through another of these ceremonies.  It has been what, five in the last year and a half?  The next person that mentions wanting to get married  will find himself locked in a kennel with a half dozen hungry arctic foxes!

13 April 1068
I do not know why God is punishing me.  Rather than attend another wedding, instead I get to attend a funeral.  My courtier, Ingrid av Goddalir, age 17, has passed away.  I shan’t miss her, the deceitful, lusty wench.  The doctor has informed me that she died from syphilis.  And I was just about to marry her off to some poor sot in Kiev.  Ah, well, at least I am rid of her intrigues and fat face.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 04:20:18 AM »

A couple notes about my game.

You might have figured it out, but Duke Isleifur is paranoid and a flamboyant schemer.  Also, through some web searches, I found that, if you pick Count Sigfus, Isleifur swears fealty to Harald Hardrada in a matter of days.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 09:19:57 PM »

15 April 1068
Perhaps Count Sigfus would like to be my cup bearer.  Maybe whatever plots against me there are will claim him in my stead.  

30 July 1068
Since Harald has nothing to build and has been getting underfoot, I have sent him out into the countryside to gather the taxes more efficiently.  Perhaps the peasants will do him in.  In either case, I will consider it a benefit.

17 September 1068
My son has been unable to uncover any plots in Austisland.  I am faced with the options that either none exist or that he is incapable of finding them.  I doubt the former, yet I have faith in my son’s ability as spymaster.  Until such time as I can find a path through this quagmire, I shall set him a new task.  His orders are to start a spy network in Vestisland to further our goals against Count Sigfus and his undiscerning palate.

31 October 1068
While my wife and I are fond of each other, things have cooled since the birth of our son.  In an effort to regain some of the passion, I have named her High Almoner.  It truly is an honor, and I know that she will be grateful.

11 January 1069
The priest has scolded me for missing church more than he would like.  I suppose that I shall have to oblige the busybody and show up more often.  If it will keep the clergy off my back, I’ll do it.  And express my displeasure in other ways.

30 June 1069
Marshal Ogmund has reported no breakthroughs in his military research.  While I’m sure he has helped our progress along, I believe it is time for him to train some more troops.  There is a possibility that Faereyar, with a large enough force, might be taken from King Olaf while he’s off on a foolish crusade to take over England.  With some time and luck, we might be able to expand our Duchy and stick a thorn in the side of the great Norwegian king.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 09:22:52 PM »

On a game note, I have changed the autosaves to monthly.  The game will preserve the last three in order.  Alt-Tabbing out of the game to write up the events makes it very unhappy on occasion, and I have lost a few events due to having not saved in the recent time frame.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 12:39:36 PM »

thanks to your AAR I started up Crusader Kings 2 again..

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 02:33:23 PM »

It's a neat little game.  It's rather cerebral and relaxing to set stuff up, hit the calendar, and let stuff run and wait for the events to pop up.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 04:59:07 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 18, 2012, 02:33:23 PM

It's a neat little game.  It's rather cerebral and relaxing to set stuff up, hit the calendar, and let stuff run and wait for the events to pop up.

Agreed.  My current run has taken me from being a Count in England to be a King of Leon.  I had no intention of being a king, but events unfolded that way so I am playing it out.  Sooner or later I will be warring with England as I have two duchies in that country and in Leon I am fighting the Muslims kingdoms around me

fun times

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 06:06:20 PM »

Other than the super slow pace, this would probably be really fun multiplayer.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 06:48:06 PM »

There are different time settings and you can crank them up to get time by faster, but I don't know how that would affect MP.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 10:59:21 PM »

6 February 1070
A troubadour has arrived to perform.  And for some reason, my memory of them being at the grand feast makes Count Sigfus very happy.  So play on, players!  Entertain my vassal and court!

26 May 1070
My dear, frightful, frightened chaplain, Bård, has discovered a philosopher that will help improve religious relations.  For a substantial fee, of course.  Given that we are working toward raising an army, and those, last I heard, were not cheap to keep in the field, it is with deep regret that I must pass on this man’s offer.  Especially since the only other religion we are likely to deal with at any point ever are those pagan Norsemen.

I hope he can find some other developments to be worth his time than attempting to make friends with the puffins out here on the sheltered edge of Christendom.

19 July 1070
A hooded man has slipped me a book and run off.  I didn’t quite catch what he said.  I suppose I should turn it over to the priests for study … But I shall read it first to ensure that it is worthy of their time

(20 Piety if I had, I’ll take the Illuminated trait for the Prestige (and piety) monthly bonuses from reading it myself.)

1 September 1070
Things grow dull around the keep.  I believe I shall stage a Grand Hunt.  Won’t that be a thrilling diversion!  Surely there’s a white stag around here somewhere.
8 October 1070
The hunt has ended.  Truly a noble endeavor.  It was bracing to be out in the countryside, riding and enjoying God’s wilderness.

17 December 1070
Apparently our good “friend”, Count Sigfus has been busy of late.  I had heard disturbing reports of talk of a revolt amongst the peasants.  Sigfus, in a manner completely opposite of what I would have expected, staged a public execution.  That appears to have quelled any desire for insurrection amongst my western neighbors.

29 December 1070
My son tells me that Sigfus’ steward has had quite the impact on the tax revenue, but that he is as whiny about marriage as my council.  I happen to have a courtier whom I tolerate, Sunniva av Holar, aged 17, that also wishes to wed.  She is known to have some charisma, despite her terrific hump.  There is no evidence of a relation to our court chaplain, but one never can tell, as her parents are conspicuously absent.

In any event, I shall kill two birds with one stone.  If arranging marriages is what keeps me in my peaceful rule, I shall grin and keep running the ducal matrimonial service.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 12:01:37 AM »

30 March 1071
Gunnar and Onega have had a son, Gudleik.  While I am happy for them, I am still not fond of other people’s children.
(-12 opinion of the child ON BIRTH!)

9 April 1071
More children.  Congratulations to my steward, Harald and his wife Alfhild on their new daughter, Ragnhild.  But keep her away from me.
(Same opinion.  Man, I apparently hate babies.)

12 June 1071
Gunnar comes through with flying colors!  He has fabricated a claim to the island county of Faereyar.  Using the document won’t be cheap.  It will take 20% of my treasury, and I will take a massive public relations hit in a general sense (-100 prestige), not to mention pissing off the dear King Olaf.  But one must break some eggs to make an omelet.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  I just hope my son will be able to press the benefit of this work once I am gone.

17 June 1071
Gunnar has arrived in Shetland to sow dissent between Duke Paul I and his liege, King Olaf.  I hope he can be as successful there as he was in Faereyar.  Apparently, the Duke is none too pleased with Olaf as it stands.  Olaf has raised Paul’s levies and taken them off to war, and the King is eyeing direct ownership of his island as well.  This may be the beginnings of a beautiful alliance.

18 June 1071
I have declared war on King Olaf.  I shall raise the levies across the island and send them to Faereyar to press my claim.
[This will be a day that the historians say was a turning point.]

7 July 1071
The troops have been raised and sent.  May they have smooth sailing and an easy landing.

10 July 1071
Gwenllian is pregnant!  Happy day.  I look forward to her coming time with child.
(Seriously.  Her being pregnant raises my opinion of her by 25.  Afterwards? Not so much.)

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 01:55:22 AM »

7 August 1071 – War Report
The siege of Skansin, capital of Faereyar have begun.  We outnumber the defenders almost two to one.  May God have mercy on their souls.
- Ogmund av Akureyri, Marshal of Iceland

16 August 1071 – War Report
The defenders launched an attack from within their walls.  They were able to inflict casualties greater than they received.  Unfortunately, this attack has raised their morale.  We shall continue to build our siege weaponry in an effort to take the town.

17 August 1071
Ogmund and Vivili have joined the ranks of parents with the arrival of their daughter, Ingjerd.  I’m sure Gwenllian will be more than happy to assist the new mother while her husband is in the field. 

4 November 1071 – War Report
Another attack from the keep, with similar results.  One wonders what they hope to gain.  Our siege weapons have been completed for some time.  We had hoped that they would surrender peacefully when faced with our strength, but if they persist in this harassing folly, I may have to let the stones fly.

24 November 1071 – War Report
The defenders attempted another sally.  This time, we were prepared for them.  They saw the other side of the coin this time, and it is a defeat that they shall not soon forget.

11 February 1072
A daughter, at last!  There shall be a feast in honor of Gwen and our new joy, Asterix …. er, Astrid.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 01:25:41 AM »

4 March 1072 – War Report
Bandits hit the camp in the rear.  We lost five good men repelling the attack.  I shall visit their widows personally upon my return. 

29 April 1072  – War Report
Skansin and Faereyar have fallen.  We lost 58 men in the siege.  But the island is ours.  Now to return to my wife and new child.
(Battle report indicates that, while I reduced morale to zero on close to 300 troops still defending the county seat, after I was through with it, the survivor count was zero.  So I apparently put every last one of them to the sword.  The man defending the town, Skofte av Marstrand, is back at court of Olaf.)

17 June 1072
The armies have returned from their excursion and been released from service back to their homes. 

18 September 1072
King Olaf has apparently been greatly bothered by our actions against him in Faereyar.  15 galleys have been spotted off the coast.  The garrison there remains at only 1/3 strength.  I fear that they are not long for this world.  I shall send out word to raise the troops and perhaps we can take Olaf in the read of his formation and keep our newest acquisition.

(Dun dun DUNNNN)

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 01:31:00 AM »

For those that would like to see where the main action is taking place:

Iceland and Faereyar

Regional map

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 01:32:42 AM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 10:45:47 PM »

7 October 1072
The troops are embarked to return to Faereyar.  I fear that this may not come in time for the garrison there, but we shall do what we can.  This time, I shall accompany them on their journey to face down this upstart King!

20 October 1072
The king has received a blow to the head.  The doctors tell me that he is not likely to wake.
- Trond, Mayor of Alftanes
(I’m outnumbered three to one in an attempt to relieve the siege, and I apparently fell off the boat.  I am now “Incapable” with almost all of my stats at zero.)

21 October 1072
I am now acting regent.
-Teitur Isleifursson, Regent and Heir of Iceland

15 October 1072
Our forces have been routed, taking 10 losses for every one inflicted.  Our survivors are in full flight, but to where?  The boats were sent back to protect them.  I fear that all is lost. 

9 December 1072
We have surrendered to King Olaf.  This ill-conceived war is over.  My father will never again be the man he was.  He has squandered our men and our money for what?  Another speck of frozen rock in the middle of the North Sea?  I shall consider our next move carefully.
-Teitur Isleifursson, Regent and Heir of Iceland

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 10:50:28 PM »

Lesson #1: Make sure you know who is in command of your armies.  I certainly didn't plan for my character to take command.  And, of course, having a 65yo commander who can't get off a boat properly.  Certainly a more ignominious way to end a reign than, say, Balon Greyjoy.

Lesson #2: No matter what the casus belli, just because you take your goal doesn't mean that you get to make the other guy accept a peace.  And pissing off a King when you're a duke doesn't tend to end well. 

I declared war in the hopes that he was too busy stomping around Northern Europe to bother with me.  I was apparently very wrong.  He tied up whatever loose ends he had, then came all the way out to curb stomp me.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 08:09:14 PM »

perhaps you should consider becoming Muslimicon_wink

love the AAR BTW.  played around with the game myself for a bit and was really disappointed I couldn't pioneer gay marriage.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 08:28:29 PM »

Thank.  I'm at a holding point right now, trying to decide if I want to let the game keep playing out with my simpleton, sexagenarian duke or roll it back to before that ill-advised declaration of war.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2012, 09:23:15 PM »

19 May 1073
My marshall, Ogmund and his wife, Vivili have had a son, Håkon Ogmundsson.  I hope he doesn’t think that he’ll be able to play with my toys.

6 July 1073
I see no issue with my son being the guardian of his own son.  After all, who else outside the family would we trust?  The purple hippos might get him!

15 October 1073
My Chancellor, Gunnar and Onega have had a daughter, Sigrid, their second child.  She better not try to eat my smashed prunes.

13 December 1073
My son, Øystein, is ready to be shipped off to a guardian.  As my grandson is learning at the right hand of his father the ways of intrigue, I will send Øystein to be fostered by my Marshall, Ogmund.

24 June 1074
My friend, Bearsly, has raised a good question.  Why is the world filled with suffering and heretics?  After discussing it with my lunch, I have decided that God is as clueless as we are.  I suppose that I might be considered cynical, but …. Ooh, pastries!
(45% chance of cynical trait, did not acquire)

5 February 1075
I have received a letter from Gunnar.  He has sown discord between Duke Magnus I of Orkney and Grand King Olaf III.  I’m off to my toy chest to raise the levies and help liberate the island.  I was sorry to hear of his predecessor’s death, his older brother, Paul I.  In any event, it appears that Magnus may require some more convincing of his liege’s bad faith.

27 July 1075
It is with a mixture of sadness and relief that I sent out the announcement that my father, Duke Isleifur I, has passed away in a coma.  His long suffering is over.  I have been granted the Duchy and will set to ruling the people.

My first act is to appoint my wife, Urraka as spymaster.  I have sent her to build a spy network in Faereyar in order to keep an eye on King Olaf and gain word of any possible moves against us.  She will also serve as guardian for our son, Ivar, teaching him the way of intrigue that I will be unable to part with my new duties.

-Teitur I, Duke of Iceland

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2012, 05:29:17 PM »

4 October 1075
To take my mind off the stresses of my newest position, I shall hold a Grand Hunt.  Mayhap it will allow me to relax away from the office and the demands of court.

9 October 1075
Gunnar has given me the honor of his kill.  He has shown his price in me.  I shall endeavor to honor him and be worth of his pride.

20 October 1075
My horse has stumbled and broken his leg.  I called the huntsman for his assistance in dealing with the poor animal.  (Picks up the Slothful trait.  No idea why.)

The hounds seem to be more excited this morning than usual.  I feel that this shall be a great day with pleasant surprises around the bend.  (Picking the Let’s go! Option awards me with the Diligent trait, which is in direct opposition to Slothful, clearing it off the sheet)

21 October 1075
The hunt has concluded.  The memories of it will help me as I slog through the paperwork and expectations of the coming winter.

15 June 1076
We have some funds available.  It is time we upgrade our defenses.  My father’s palisade will be upgraded to a stone wall.  This should also help raise funds through the attraction of people to trade in the protective town.   We shall send Harald the Steward to oversee construction and speed things along so that we can complete it before next year’s harvest.

29 September 1077
Hrisey’s low stone wall has been completed.  We’re close to broke, but hopefully this will help rebound the finances quicker (bigger levies, some more tax revenue, higher fort level)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: