http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 02:21:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crazy stuff from nvidia...  (Read 2442 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2005, 08:17:16 PM »

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/10/news_6120158.html

I guess I saw this coming, actually for awhile now but wow...512mb cards. I have a 6800gt256mb card and this thing smokes! I can only imagine what resolutions/fsaa settings you can run with this thing. And the price :shock: , wow. I can`t wait to hear what this thing costs.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 09:49:39 PM »

You could play DOOM 3 on ultra and actually see those effects.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
rslifka
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 04:55:18 AM »

My guess is they'll cost 1.5x the price of the next gen consoles when they're released this fall/winter.

An XBox 360 or video card that only a couple of games in the next year after its released can take advantage of?  Tough choice :roll:

Rob
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 05:41:29 AM »

ATI made the news for developing a 512MB video card within the last couple weeks as well (short story from xbitlabs.com), although it looks like nVidia may have theirs to market first.  personally, i see it as something that was obviously going to happen at some point...the real issue is the necessity of it at this point.  i'm not sure these cards are something that a lot of people are going to jump on right away...especially considering the hefty price tag they're sure to carry...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 06:50:03 AM »

Isn't there some bruhaha about the 512mb not equalling a significant performance difference over 256?  I'm currently running a 256 Radeon 9800 Pro and it's served me pretty well and I see no reason to upgrade to a 512 card.  I agree with disarm:  I think the 512 cards are probably going to find a home with the boutique system makers and the general public's going to pretty much avoid them due to their high price.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 07:19:01 AM »

Quote from: "rslifka"
My guess is they'll cost 1.5x the price of the next gen consoles when they're released this fall/winter.

An XBox 360 or video card that only a couple of games in the next year after its released can take advantage of?  Tough choice :roll:

Rob
Why you'd waste your money on an XBox360 is beyond me.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 08:42:22 AM »

But is that really saying much?
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 01:34:06 PM »

Quote from: "RightBastard"
Isn't there some bruhaha about the 512mb not equalling a significant performance difference over 256?

It depends on how a game is designed. Textures are loaded into video memory as much as possible. Textures that are not in video memory have to be "pulled" from your hard drive and swapped out with existing ones, which created stuttering and is really not an optimal choice.  

I do not think any games other than Doom 3 currently have settings that push more than 256mb of textures into video memory. The ultra setting in Doom 3 needs to load approx. 500 mb of textures into video memory in order to avoid swapping.

So its really all about how the game is designed.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 04:00:25 PM »

I'll keep that in mind when we are all having Live night.  I'm looking forward to seeing what Splinter Cell is gonna look like on that beast! smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2005, 04:35:05 PM »

Isn't there some bruhaha about the 512mb not equalling a significant performance difference over 256?  I'm currently running a 256 Radeon 9800 Pro and it's served me pretty well and I see no reason to upgrade to a 512 card.

I completely agree with you here as well, as I work on the 'every other generation' theory as far as video cards go.

Started off with a GeForce TI 500, moved to an ATI 9700 Pro, and now I have an ATI X800.

Buy the biggest and baddest card available every other generation/year. It hasn't steered me wrong before, and I doubt there will be that big of a jump between this and next generation anyway.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 06:24:25 PM »

Quote from: "WestNile"

But is that really saying much?

BURN!11   unibrow
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2005, 08:34:10 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"
Isn't there some bruhaha about the 512mb not equalling a significant performance difference over 256?

It depends on how a game is designed. Textures are loaded into video memory as much as possible. Textures that are not in video memory have to be "pulled" from your hard drive and swapped out with existing ones, which created stuttering and is really not an optimal choice.  

I do not think any games other than Doom 3 currently have settings that push more than 256mb of textures into video memory. The ultra setting in Doom 3 needs to load approx. 500 mb of textures into video memory in order to avoid swapping.

So its really all about how the game is designed.

Cant say for sure but EQ2 is prolly another game that could take advantage of this.  So 2 games for prolly $500 smile.

morlac00 on PSN
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2005, 11:03:35 PM »

A 512 vid card would do wonders for EQ2.  There are so many detailed textures that could be randomly on screen at any one time.  But the price would scare me away.

rslifka
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2005, 04:48:42 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Quote from: "rslifka"

Rob

Did you read what I wrote?  Or just hit "reply" when you saw, "XBox360"?

Oblivion alone will be worth the price of admission.  Not to mention SSX4.

Rob
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2005, 08:17:59 PM »

This post "was" about a video card...not really about consoles... :wink:

I did pay $400.00 for this 6800gt last year. That is kinda crazy since I can(probably) buy a next-gen console for that much in the next year or so.
  I can`t imagine having running 2 of these 512 cards in SLI mode. WOW!!! :shock:
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2005, 09:18:39 PM »

I'd waste a tax return on a new bad-ass video card. Think of how long you could go before upgrading again.

I won't do that this generation, as I already picked up a 6800GT this past August, but sometime in the next couple years I'll pick up another new video card.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 08:29:06 AM »

I`m thrilled with this 6800gt. I`m hoping it lasts a good while :wink: .
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2005, 02:37:34 PM »

I wont be ditching my 6800GT anytime soon, however I do plan on getting a XBox 360 on launch day...
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2005, 07:55:12 PM »

Quote from: "Mystic95Z"
I wont be ditching my 6800GT anytime soon, however I do plan on getting a XBox 360 on launch day...

Same here. Lets just hope it`s NOT called that. Anything but that please! :wink:
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 08:38:26 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"

Same here. Lets just hope it`s NOT called that. Anything but that please! :wink:

No kidding Xbox Whatever is better than that....
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2005, 08:42:54 PM »

Hehe. I`m glad I`m not alone. Don`t get me wrong I`ll buy it regardless of what it`s called, but...xbox 360 :roll: ...that just seems silly.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2005, 08:50:10 PM »

Mebbe one of the launch titles is gonna be Burnout 360 Dougnut Destruction....  Tongue
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2005, 09:42:44 PM »

Mebbe one of the launch titles is gonna be Burnout 360 Dougnut Destruction....  Tongue

Tongue  Seriously, if that is the name...like I said I`d still buy it...but...who`s idea was that??? I hope it`s just rumor, like most of which was out there until recently.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: