http://gamingtrend.com
November 25, 2014, 01:49:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crap! Mass Effect is going to suck  (Read 1412 times)
Rob_Merritt
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2006, 02:59:53 PM »

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/03/06/mass-effect-preview/

"Mass Effect will combine the real-time fighting elements of Jade Empire with the interstellar conflict of KOTOR. Piloting your spaceship will also play a larger role than it did in KOTOR."

So Bioware is taking the worse elements of its previous two games and making a game out of that. I was so looking forward to that game. Those two sentences just crushed all hope and desire I had to play that game. frown

Well, maybe they will change their minds. The game isn't due out for a long time.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 03:10:45 PM »

Hopefully the Jade Empire  'elements' = real time fighting and not the suck butt rock paper scissors mechanic.

Oh and I loved the combat in KOTOR...TB fighting hearken's back to Pool of Radiance (the original) for me.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 04:19:55 PM »

Sorry Rob, but I loved the fighting elements of Jade Empire (KotOR 3 would rock with that system) and that statement's raised my level of interest in Mass Effect.  The ship combat in KotOR was pretty basic though, maybe if they stole a page from Freelancer it would be better.

Who knows, maybe it will change, but if they planned the game to be an action RPG then I really can't see them going turn based for combat.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 04:24:52 PM »

What about them did you like?

I thought the fighting was the best part of JE, but that's not saying much.

It became far too formulaic and there wasn't enough variety...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 04:43:01 PM »

I wouldn't jump to conclusions here- given the first/third person viewpoint of ME, when they say real time they are likely talking about something more akin to regular FPS controls with RPG stats determining damage, etc.  Sort of like the Elder Scrolls games.  

And it says flying the ship will play a bigger role- nothing about the control setup being the same.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 05:39:03 PM »

Considering that ME is more like an FPS game, being real-time would work well for it.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 05:51:52 PM »

Jade Empire had the worst combat system in an rpg ever. I really liked everything else about it but couldn't finish the game because the combat was driving me mad.

Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 06:46:34 PM »

I thought the combat system in Jade was fairly easy to grasp.  Maybe because I tend to like FPS's more than RPG's, so Mass Effect will likely be geared more towards my tastes.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 07:16:54 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
Jade Empire had the worst combat system in an rpg ever. I really liked everything else about it but couldn't finish the game because the combat was driving me mad.

Well I know SOMEONE who didn't play Metal Dungeon. :roll:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 07:42:59 PM »

Reading that doesn't bother me. I've always liked Bioware's stuff, although I hope they expand on Jade's fighitng since it got fairly easy IMO once you got the hang of it.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 08:04:10 PM »

I liked JE's fighting too.  It was far from perfect, but it was a good start for a developer who hadn't done action combat before.  I also wonder how close their relationship to Pandemic is, and whether they will be helping with the action elements.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 10:19:50 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/03/06/mass-effect-preview/

"Mass Effect will combine the real-time fighting elements of Jade Empire with the interstellar conflict of KOTOR. Piloting your spaceship will also play a larger role than it did in KOTOR."

So Bioware is taking the worse elements of its previous two games and making a game out of that. I was so looking forward to that game. Those two sentences just crushed all hope and desire I had to play that game. frown

Well, maybe they will change their minds. The game isn't due out for a long time.

What part of using the Unreal 3 engine to make the game lead you to believe it was going to be turn-based combat?  

Personally, I have always assumed that Mass Effect would be some sort of FPS/RPG hybrid, something like Deus Ex or Troika's Vampire game.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 10:28:58 PM »

Personally, I have always assumed that Mass Effect would be some sort of FPS/RPG hybrid, something like Deus Ex or Troika's Vampire game.

Sarkus you tease you had to go and type it outloud
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 02:39:43 PM »

Most action rpg's I've ever played involve 1. Target Enemy 2. Click Mouse 3. Loot corpse 4. Rinse and Repeat.

Jade Empire at least required some tactics, and reflexes.

"Goonies never say die"
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 11:00:57 PM »

agreed.

Now you add
2.1 hold block and direction to flip behind enemy
2.2 release flurry of 100 fists (or whatever it was called)
2.3 make a Bruce Lee MWwwaaaaaaAAHHHHHOOOoooo sound.

and then move onto 3. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 04:00:04 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
What part of using the Unreal 3 engine to make the game lead you to believe it was going to be turn-based combat?

I didn't think it was going to be turned based Jade Empire wasn't exactly real time either. It had broken time. You pushed buttons and whated. If you guess what buttons it wanted you to push at a specific time you were allowed too, then you one. If not you weren't given any feedback as to what the screw up was. Eventually you got a cheap move which you could execute over and over and you would almost always win but it was just so horribly boring.  They should of stuck to either the combat engine of KOTOR or just made an actual fighting engine.

What scares me since they said Mass Effect is going to have a Jade Empire combat engine, is it will be like a FPS except you with have to pull off timed combos and wait to see if you can sucessfully press fire or something stupid like that.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2006, 04:16:22 AM »

I don't understand what you're saying about the JE combat system.  Each button executed a certain attack, and each had a counter.  I didn't see any guessing which button to push at which time.  If the enemy blocks, you use a strong attack to overcome the block, if they are doing a strong attack, you do a quick attack to interrupt it, etc.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2006, 06:47:27 AM »

No idea what he's complaing about either. There's no "guessing" as to what buttons to push in JE combat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: