http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 01:42:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crackdown Vs. Saint's Row  (Read 985 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2007, 09:39:16 PM »

So, I've put a decent amount of time into Crackdown now and it seems like a well-done game, although a bit shallow. There isn't a true storyline to the game and as far as missions, your basically on the sole mission to take out the leaders of the three dominating gangs of the city. There are also the "side-mission" style goals, which are collecting the agility and hidden orbs, as well as the races. On top of that, your character is constantly growing stronger. So, how does all this compare to the other GTA-inspired game on the 360, Saint's Row? I haven't played SR myself, but I would love to see what people who have played both think about them in comparison, and which one they think is better.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 09:48:20 PM »

I enjoyed them both each in their own ways. SR is much more of a traditional GTA game and a pretty darn good one in my opinion. It has far more story and more side-missions than Crackdown. Crackdown is more fun as a sandbox where I can create chaos, throwing buses and jumping around rooftops, but very shallow with an abysmal story. PvP in Saint's Row vs drop-in co-op in Crackdown is a differentiating factor but I'm not big on either so not so much for me.

Ass I said, I like them both for different reasons. I can't decide betweem Crackdown for sheer fun vs Saint's Row for actually having a bit of a story, while still being good fun.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 10:07:30 PM »

Agreed.  They're in the same genre but they set out to present very different experiences.  In my opinion they both succeed very well at them, too.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 10:21:13 PM »

Saint's Row was a little too Food Court Gangsta to be truly enjoyable IMO.

Just Hiro will do.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 10:23:22 PM »

i liked saints row much better.  but then again, i didnt really like crackdown.  well, not that i didnt like it, it just felt really generic and didnt hold my attention very long, which is weird because i LOVED the whole "take down the deck of cards" aspect from mercenaries - but in crackdown it just felt meh.  cant really explain why either

and when i became bored with saints row - i "rediscovered" it when i found how much fun it could be to steal numerous cars, then "pimp them out"  then go cruise.  this was also weird to me, because im the guy that played need for speed with near stock skins - but here it felt like fun.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 11:01:26 PM »

I liked Saints Row when I first started playing it, got bored of the rather basic action and the wannabe gangsta theme and then got back to it when I rented it a few months later. I did not rediscover it. I didn't like it at all the second time around. I played it for like an hour.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 11:20:31 PM »

then got back to it when I rented it a few months later

in hindsight i think that this is probably the best way to enjoy both these games
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 11:31:07 PM »

FOOD COURT GANGSTA....

Is just about a perfect way to describe it.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 11:59:57 PM »

I put more time into Saint's Row than any other 360 game yet. It took a little while for it to "click" for me, but when it did, I enjoyed it so much that I played it until I completed almost everything in the game (which is pretty rare for me).
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 12:21:28 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on March 27, 2007, 11:20:31 PM

then got back to it when I rented it a few months later

in hindsight i think that this is probably the best way to enjoy both these games

I rented it both times actually-and I am going to rent Crackdown too when my BB coupons reset in a few days-I figure for 10 hours a rental is fine.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 02:40:58 AM »

Thought Saints Row was a great game. Probably my favorite part about it is the "homies" feature where you can recruit homies to join up with you, even in the very beginning of the game you get someone to follow you around and watch your back anywhere you go. (The number goes up as you complete missions and gain experience)
And your home town.. you've got homies all over the place. Any time a cop car comes through our neighborhood I'll usually go up and punch it, cop will come after me and then ALL my homies lay hell on the cops! Nobody messes with you on your home turf..

Definitely would highly recommend Saints Row to anyone who hasn't played it yet.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 02:44:25 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on March 27, 2007, 09:48:20 PM

Ass I said

Heh heh...you said, "ass."

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 04:45:07 AM »

Yeah, I really should pick up Saints Row, seems like I really good game I missed out on.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 04:49:36 AM »

Yup, as much as I was initially turned off by the over the top gangsta theme of Saints Row, once I played the full game I really started to love it and it became one of my most played 360 games.  In addition to the decent storyline stuff there was also a good variety and amount of side missions to keep me busy. 

Having said that, I also have a certain affinity for Crackdown with it's build up to super-human abilities and sandbox play.  Lots of fun, but I spent less time overall with it. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 01:46:28 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on March 27, 2007, 10:21:13 PM

Saint's Row was a little too Food Court Gangsta to be truly enjoyable IMO.

I LOL in real life

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 03:24:02 PM »

Quote from: HankRaptor on March 27, 2007, 11:31:07 PM

FOOD COURT GANGSTA....

Is just about a perfect way to describe it.

This is wholey true.  But it's also an intentional satire.  It cracked me up.  I loved taking on the Los Carnales and discussions about the Rio Grande river.

Tricking out the cars and the homey system were definitely top notch.  I grew stale on GTA after the first release.  This game brought me back to the sub-genre.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: