http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 06:54:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Counter-Strike?  (Read 5875 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 09, 2004, 06:24:39 PM »

I know everyone is waiting on HL2, but since its available...how is CS?  Now that its been out for a lil bit...what's the dealio?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 07:17:00 PM »

CS for Xbox?  I loved it.  I never played PC (always stuck w/ DoD) so on Live there were some very good players and the maps took a bit to get used to - but even when I was gettin shot every two seconds I loved it!  Weapons are fun, teamplay is great (youll find most times people are on there tellin people theyre throwin off flashbangs, checkin hallway x or room y, runnin bomb to "B" that kind of thing).  Lag was 99 times out of a 100 pretty non existent for me on cable.  This was actually one I never bought and that my rental priviliges quickly expired - 'cause I woulda played it constantly smile  But ya good game I gotta say!
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 02:02:29 AM »

Pretty sure he was asking about the Counter Strike: Source that you can get through Steam when you purchase Half-Life 2.   :wink:

LiveTAG: happydog
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 06:51:34 AM »

Played it today for a few hours. I'd *never* played counter strike before so there was a bit of a learning curve. Still trying to figure out exactly how the whole "money" thing works for getting equipment. Even though I'm a pretty solid FPS player I got my ass handed to me over and over and over Tongue

That being said, the engine is slick. Frame rates were very high and the graphics are gorgeous in a very non-showy understated way. The physics were very believable though the rag doll bodies still seem to occasionally land in positions that don't seem particularly believable.

The flash bang effects are absolutely fantastic, the smoke grenades are very well done, and the blood spatter decals from hits are some of the most believable I've seen. The sound was good but didn't seem to stand out in any way.

I occassionally had crashes during level changes but other than that it was quite a fun game smile

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 07:02:46 AM »

Hmmm....so what you are saying is "Don't wait Ron, download it..join us in the fragging", right?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
archipelago
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 07:39:05 AM »

Absolutely.

Luckily I had only started dabling with CSa few weeks before CS:S was released, so I was still learning the game a far from burnt out as I suspect a lot of olde-timey players are.

It's a Blast!
I suck!

I'm with Gryndyl on all his points - I wasted FAR too much time playing today and am looking forward to firing it up tomorrow as well.

I've been having fun converting some of my digital artwork into custom wall sprays as well...funny watching players running by then stop to check out your spray  smile

Download now!

the artist previously known as Adumir
STILL resident Kielslowski and Jennifer Jason Leigh obsessive
"Obviously, I need more Merlot..."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 12:14:14 PM »

I haven't played Counterstrike in years, but since I went ahead and ordered the Half Life 2 Sliver thing from Steam, I thought I would go and check out this new Counterstrike Source.

All in all, it's damn fun. I was really addicted to Counterstrike a couple years ago and this version of it has all the same addictiveness as the original.

It should keep me entertained until Half Life 2 comes....which is soon I hope...

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 01:23:26 PM »

For anyone who's played 1.6 and the new source how is the recoil are they similar? The bullet grouping? The accuracy? Just curious if this is just a graphic port or a whole new game.

Ascendent
archipelago
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 03:55:10 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
For anyone who's played 1.6 and the new source how is the recoil are they similar? The bullet grouping? The accuracy? Just curious if this is just a graphic port or a whole new game.

Ascendent

I can't speak very knowledgeably on these matters, being new to the game ,but while playing I have seen several conversations regarding the recoil being dialed down a bit, so it may be all the parameters have been tweeked.

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 06:35:30 PM »

Thanks for the info archipelago glad to hear it isn't just a graphical conversion that there's actually something to the game.

Ascendent
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 07:53:55 PM »

Soooo....

obviously we need to start posting STEAM names so we can stick each other on our friends list smile

I'm...wait for it...Gryndyl!

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 08:37:12 PM »

Think mine is r1s3n i'll have to double check.

Ascendent
archipelago
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 09:05:16 PM »

Mine is "Johnny Long-Torso"

..with apologies to MST3K

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2004, 10:01:20 PM »

Quote from: "archipelago"
Mine is "Johnny Long-Torso"

..with apologies to MST3K

Could be worse - you could've called yourself Big McLarge Huge. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2004, 10:03:48 PM »

I am hetz_gg

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
GoblinToe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2004, 10:57:33 PM »

How is the cheating is CS these days?  I played very frequently years ago when it first came out, but I eventually stopped playing completely because of the cheating.  Then I found Firearms, and found it to be far superior to CS.  For one thing you could go to ammo boxes and reload your ammo supply.  That, and the fact that if you died (early), you didn't have to wait 4 minutes to play again.

However, Firearms is pretty dead these days, so I'm forced to look elsewhere for the occasional FPS fix.  Natural Selection is an absolutely amazing HL mod as well, as is DoD, but for a little extra flavor, I was considering giving CS another shot.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2004, 11:14:15 PM »

I am Vidiot.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2004, 11:17:57 PM »

Cheating is still very rampant I'm sorry to say. Just can't let it get to you find. a good group like GG/CG group hopefully and have fun. Oh also alot better if you have mics adds alot to the game.  Lets start selecting servers guys. Post the ips' and play time maybe we can start playing together. I prefer non awp servers, but I'll play anywhere.

Ascendent
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2004, 12:58:31 AM »

I haven't seen any really obvious cheating yet.

As far as how it is, well it's CS in an awesome graphics engine.

The gameplay is still essentially the same. There are seemingly some small tweaks to the weapons, but in general you still end up with 1 full team with AK's and one full team with M4's. With a smattering of AWP's of course.

If I have one complaint it's that there doesn't seem to be an ability to select other player skins.

I do get tired of looking at whole teams of the exact same guy over and over.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2004, 01:12:04 AM »

I am not sure why I havent pulled the trigger on this. I want the Silver package, I know I am going to play everything available in it, yet I havent bought it. Thats stupid. Maybe I am stupid. Ok, I am going to buy it tonight!
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2004, 01:47:41 AM »

Here's a quick derailment/suggestion for anybody reading this thread that's noticed just how terrible Steam's friends system really is.

use Xfire.
http://www.xfire.com/

It really is an excellent program. The idea that I only have like 20 friends directly on my own list, but can still see when all of the friends of those people play games as well is an excellent idea. So, despite having only 20 people on my own list, I have 214 that I can see total as long as they're playing games.

It sounds weird at first, but it really is good stuff.

It works amazingly well for CS and it's ilk.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2004, 01:57:05 AM »

Trigger was just pulled, but cant play till later as I am watching the football with friends....

Cant believe I just spent 60 buckeroos. Didnt know Condition Zero was on there too--nice bonus. Half Life 2, COunter Strike Source early, Half Life Source to play again, Day of Defeat Source to replace Call of Duty MP, and Condition zzero as a bonus-worth 60 in a heartbeat. Impressions later!!
_Pointer_
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2004, 10:39:29 AM »

Anybody else playing this regularly? This is my first ever attempt at online gaming on the PC and I am loving it. Taking me a while to get some kills but having a lot of fun still. Can't believe there isn't more talk about it here!

Pointer
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2004, 11:43:48 AM »

I play every evening at least for a few hours.  I'll get my servers IP up here.  I'll post the server IP once I get back home.

Ascendent
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2004, 12:07:20 PM »

*nods* I know where your comming from Yim I used to play quake 3 on 56k luckily I found out about instagib mod and it was really friendly towards dial up.

Ascendent
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2004, 04:48:27 PM »

I've been playing CS:S nightly and am hooked.  It has that same CS feel, but the physics and graphics make it oh so much more.

smile
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2004, 05:06:51 PM »

here you go my server

WarCraft III [Ka Tet] Feed Your Addiction !!!!
67.18.253.167:27015

Its high speed download well if you have cable or dsl, it willl auto download maps and mods and such. I go by the name [Ka Tet] r1s3n so if you see me on feel free to indentify yourself.  Perhaps I see a few of you this evening feel free to stop by.

Ascendent
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2004, 05:12:31 PM »

How does all that work?  Do you pre-order HL2 then get to download CS:SOURCE?  Does CS:SOURCE cost anything??

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2004, 05:28:32 PM »

I believe you buy HL:2 over steam you get to download CS:S right away 49.95 plus tax. I wouldn't mind getting it but I'm going to pick up a hard copy no point in buying the game twice.

Ascendent
whispa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2004, 07:07:54 PM »

Played a lot of Counterstrike in the past and pre-ordered HL2 the other day. Having played only a few rounds so far of CS Source, I can say so far that I am very impressed by the graphics overhaul and physics of the new engine. The sounds are very well done as are the models and animation. Hopefully there is little cheating going on because I am really digging this new CS version!
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2004, 07:27:19 PM »

I can't seem to get any servers to come up on CS:S I tried changing the filters and everything but not a single server comes up. How are you guys finding them?

Ascendent
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2004, 07:49:49 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
I believe you buy HL:2 over steam you get to download CS:S right away 49.95 plus tax. I wouldn't mind getting it but I'm going to pick up a hard copy no point in buying the game twice.

Ascendent

For $10 more ($59.95), you can also download Day of Defeat: Source (a purchase Steam is the only way to get this game), Half-life 1: Source, and every back catalog game from Valve that is on Steam. (Condition Zero, Half-life, Opposing Force, etc).

Once you buy either one, Counterstrike: Source is available immediately.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2004, 08:41:10 PM »

Yep, to get it you just install Steam, click the button to add games, choose your package and then you can immediately download CS: Source and start playing.  You also get to play all of Valve's back catalog with no download required. Very fun to revisit the original Half Life smile

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2004, 08:48:50 PM »

Well I caved in and Ordered HL:2. CS:S is umm interesting. Alot, Alot slower then CS at least thats just my opinion. No more spray and pray recoil is off the charts once you start laying down lead. I'm going to play it a bit more tonight see if I can adjust to it.

Ascendent
justin
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2004, 01:10:04 AM »

Anyone have any screenies of CS:S  I'd love to see how it looks with the new engine.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2004, 01:29:56 AM »

Quote from: "justin"
Anyone have any screenies of CS:S  I'd love to see how it looks with the new engine.

Click the links below for a bunch:

GameSpot screenshots

IGN screenshots

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2004, 07:09:02 AM »

I was in the beta for its duration, though I haven't enlisted retail yet. Probably this weekend.

To answer a few of the above questions:

The recoil is distinctly different.  The game almost feels identical except the weapons are just different.  Not bad just not the same. As said above, pray and spray is pretty much finished except at point blank.  The weapons have to be used in a much more patient and deliberate manner.  This may contribute to the feeling of a slightly slower pace.  The models actually run at exactly the same speed as 1.6 AFAICT.  Oh and the grenades have finally become something that CANNOT be ignored.  I easily spent my first year at CS never buying a single nade and never really being bothered by others'.  Smoke and Flash have become so effective that you can't miss it.

In the beta there was rampant speed hacking on the non-secure servers.  I assume this has only been elaborated not squashed.  I would reccomend using the server filters by Geographical area, maxping, and cheat prevention.  I had much better experiences when I chose my server carefully, same as 1.6/CZ.
Jocke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2004, 07:53:42 AM »

This talk of the recoil change is worrying... The mayor reason I still love playing cs is the superior "feeling" when you shoot a gun. No other game comes close I think. Is that "feeling" still there? I do not really care if it is really only the recoil that is stronger but...
The feeling of the bullets really hitting where you are aiming? I do not know how too describe it. I hope people understand what I am talking about since I am not sure I do.  :?   smile
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2004, 08:36:30 AM »

I understand it perfectly. All the Half-Life engine games always gave you a good sense that you were firing a weapon instesad of just aiming with your mouse.

That sense is carried over into the new engine. The guns in CS: Source feel like guns, and not like nerf guns, which is my one and only complaint so far against Doom 3.

*Edited to add the requisite "Your Mileage May Vary" Which I should have included from the start. But to me, the new game feels just like the old one only 100 times prettier.

Jocke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2004, 08:50:24 AM »

/Burns voice
Excellent!
/Burns voice
 biggrin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print