http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 05:58:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Countdown to DS Lite: DEAD PIXEL? AUGH! PG 3  (Read 6557 times)
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2006, 09:42:45 PM »

I also had a stuck light green pixel on my touch screen. I exchanged it at TRU. My original DS had two stuck pixels, one on each screen. I went through Nintendo for that replacement. They have a nice system where they will send you a replacement and a box to send the defective unit back. If you don't send it back within a week, they'll charge your credit card. Easy, and you're not without a machine for any time.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2006, 10:20:14 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
So hold up - is Gamestop/EB supposed to get their first shipment in today?  Or are we talking about other stores, like Target, Best Buy, etc.?

I think they've had their shipments for quite a while.  Anyay, yes, Gamestops/EBs have the DS Lite in as of today.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2006, 10:37:05 PM »

Yup, picked it up today Kevin.  I was a dork and hadn't been hyping myself up for it very much.

So took it home, charged her up, and fiddled with some of my games.  Overall . . . I'm not that impressed.  In fact, I almost want my old DS back.  Let me explain:

Overall it seems as though the new Lite is not as durable as my old DS.  Case in point - it seems flimsy already.  My volume control button thing is loose and can almost do a popping in-out sort of thing whenever I manuever it.  Also, if I open up my Lite, the bottom of it - that material that seems to be the "outer shell" - is already popping out a bit.  It's that part right above the GBA opening that I can just push in-out.  It's already flimsy and I don't like that.

With my old DS I used and abused it.  Just by the way this thing handles and looks, I know I can't sling it in my work bag like I could with my older DS.

Let's talk about after we flip it open - I dislike the buttons.  It seems as though they're just not as sturdy as my old DS buttons.  The start / select buttons seem just weirdly tacky as well for some reason.  I have some issues with the control pad - again, it just doesn't feel as durable as the regular DS' pad.  In addition, in my Children of Mana game I had a HARD TIME running diagonally.  Maybe it's just "stiff" due to not being broken in.  Hopefully after some snaking sessions in Mario Kart I can wear it in a bit.

So I fired up and fiddled with several games:

Ouendan - looked good!  Really, in terms of how each game played on the Lite, this seemed the best.  Graphics looked nice and crisp with the bright setting.  Maybe I'm just looking into it too much, but the music quality seemed a bit better.  Did they tweak/change the speaker configuration or hardware?  Overall, good improvement.

Animal Crossing - the brightness only made it look crappier than before.  I used to think it looked quite well but after seeing it with the bright settings it looked worse off.  The sky up top was big and super blue though.

Mario Kart - looked a lot better.  Impressive stuff!

Children of Mana - looked very good as well.  Though, the whole "diagonal" thing grabbed my goat a bit.  Plus, maybe I just didn't realize it with my old DS, but it seemed as though while I was running in the town it was a LOT choppier and there was a good deal of slowdown present.  Maybe it's because of how I'm able to see it better, but I didn't really notice it with my old DS.

Just going to charge it now before I play some Super Mario Bros.  But so far, I'm not very impressed.  Overall, it feels cheaper, not as durable, and just not as comfortable (in regards to the buttons/pad) compared to my old DS.  But maybe it'll get better as I play it more.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2006, 11:28:19 PM »

Further impressions: I love it. It's sleek and the screens are megaawesome. One thing I noticed is it doesn't pay to overdue it with the brightess setting. I've ended up on setting 2 for now. I noticed when it's very bright, the picture is so sharp it actually brings out some flaws in games that I never really noticed before. These screens are so superb, I love them.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2006, 01:21:25 AM »

Was at Target today and they had about 30 of them. Stupid EB!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2006, 01:41:08 AM »

aboslutely love it, got mine and my wife's today. Not too worried about the wi-fi as I only played Mario Kart online and I don't own that anymore.

Otherwise I love it, you can tell Nintendo just had a bunch of Ipods sitting in their labs and knew what people like in portable electronics.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2006, 01:54:36 AM »

finally got to opening mine..

so far I just need to wear it in..it just feels alittle weird.  The sound does sound better.. (just more clear it seems)  The screens are definitely better (some of the colors look almost to clear)  Like the Yellow on the NSMB menu.  Over all I am happy..sad that it didn't come with a strap (even though I never really used it)..but I did keep the one from my original DS.  

Overall I'm just happy to have my DS back.  Sort of odd about the GBA piece..I thought it would be like a fold in door or something.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2006, 02:18:28 AM »

I opened up the 2nd unit. No dead pixels. I shall be returning the other one tomorrow.

So far I'm enjoying it, but I'm not BLOWN away.  I don't know that I expected it to be and the DS Lite will be a nice compliment to my usual gaming habits. Can't wait for my next business trip to carry it along with me.  W00t!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2006, 02:54:07 AM »

I can't believe the difference between playing GBA games on the SP and the DS.  It makes the GBA look like a piece of crap.  I picked up Tetris, and now I have to decide what else to get.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2006, 03:24:38 AM »

Quote from: "ATB"

So far I'm enjoying it, but I'm not BLOWN away.  I don't know that I expected it to be

You started a countdown thread for it for gawd sakes.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2006, 05:39:21 AM »

Quote from: "Canuck"

So far I'm enjoying it, but I'm not BLOWN away.  I don't know that I expected it to be

Tongue
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2006, 05:47:49 AM »

I have 90 bucks worth of Best Buy gift cards, so I might head down there this week to pick up a DS lite.

But I wanted to ask, does Best Buy allow exchanges in case I get a DS with dead pixels? How tough would it be to do so?

Or are the Best Buy folks relying on the nintendo replacement system?

Welcome to the Bovine.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2006, 11:30:11 AM »

Quote from: "Canuck"

Touche!

That said, I enjoy the device very much, but hmm.  Maybe it's the external circumstances of life that have changed rather than my reaction to Lite itself. Oh and did I mention that I haven't had good sleep in nearly a week.

However, it's wonderous to be playing SMB again and only now do I remember how bad I am at those games smile. Meteos is fun, if a bit confusing and I still have 2 more games to take a look at.

Overall I'd give the Lite 8 Marios after a preliminary 2 hrs.  I've not made use of wifi nor do I really understand how to use the device at this point.
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2006, 12:54:55 PM »

for some reason i thought it would change my friend code if I had to re-setup the wifi..but everything is good.  Playing the lite makes me excited for the games to come.  Bring on Zelda!

EDIT...nevermind..I did have to change my friend code.  It didn't tell me it had to till I logged on.  crappy..I'll repost it in the multi-player post so anyone can delete and readd me with the new code

133216-363917

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Poomba
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2006, 03:51:54 PM »

Well I'm bummed, went to pre-purchase it at Gamestop with a bunch of trade-ins only to find out that they were getting 18 units in for Sunday and I was person number 19...dammit.

Anyway, hopefully someone will cancel their pre-order, or more units will hit the store soon.

Enjoy your DSL's everyone!
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2006, 04:24:22 PM »

I been messing with some of the mini games in new mario.  I really like some of them.  Sort of mind numbing, but not in the Wariow are kinda way.

I like the sling shot one and the whack a mole one.  22500, in the slingshot game, and 54 moles in Whack A Mole first try.  I am on world 3 in mario.  I am liking it.  Everyone complained about no saves, but whenever I feel I want a save, I just go and unlock one of the 5 coin areas, and save.  I am also replaying the levels to find the coins that I missed first time through.  

I dontknow.  thats what old platformers were about, I cant even remember how many times I played mario and mario 2 all the way through.  even though I knew where everything was, I still tryed to beat my score, or my time.  I cant wait till I can pick up some of the other games.

I want Advance Wars, I am thinking about picking up animal crossing.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2006, 07:38:18 PM »

Has anyone experienced any bugs in Super Mario Bros.?  I was fighting the mini-boss in the fifth world (the snow/ice one) and he was jumped around after I bonked him twice . . . he jumped down a hole and the screen zoomed out a bit.  And then the background just started twitching.  And I could move and everything, but nothing was going on.  So I decided to just jump down the hole too . . . died . . . and then the screen got some crazy lines on it and froze my game.

Anything like that happen to anyone else?

warning

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2006, 08:12:07 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
Has anyone experienced any bugs in Super Mario Bros.?  I was fighting the mini-boss in the fifth world (the snow/ice one) and he was jumped around after I bonked him twice . . . he jumped down a hole and the screen zoomed out a bit.  And then the background just started twitching.  And I could move and everything, but nothing was going on.  So I decided to just jump down the hole too . . . died . . . and then the screen got some crazy lines on it and froze my game.

Anything like that happen to anyone else?

Dude!  You got the Ultra Secret Ending.  Congrats!
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2006, 12:27:20 PM »

I am blown away with a side by side comparison of the DS and the LITE. The screens are so much better its really not funny. The lite fixes all most of my complaints about the DS. Now if they would just put an amazing 3d Graphics processor in there......

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2006, 02:00:00 AM »

Got my Lite tonight. Nice improvement, but I still wish it was black.

Now do we get to count Mario Kart DS as a new game again because, technically, the DS Lite is a new system!  :wink:

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2006, 02:44:57 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Got my Lite tonight. Nice improvement, but I still wish it was black.

Now do we get to count Mario Kart DS as a new game again because, technically, the DS Lite is a new system!  :wink:

Huh? I thought you were giving up on DS and ehre you are with a Lite?  I was gonna ask for your friend code then didn't but am asking again now. PM me!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2006, 12:33:58 PM »

ATB - My whole deal in here is that the DS Love/PSP Hate was going WAY overboard and I'm trying to even things out.

I do like my DS but play my PSP 10x more.

I have no idea what my code is - I'll have to get back to you on that.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2006, 09:09:32 AM »

Hey here's a question -

I've noticed that my DS makes a super but barely audible loud-pitched noise when it charges, specifically when it charges and it's in sleep mode for its alarm clock duties.  Any one have this "problem"?

I've tested it several times and it does indeed make this noise.  Quite annoying.  And my cat even perks his ears right when I plug it in . . . it might dissipate after awhile, I don't know.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: