http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 10:56:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Countdown to DS Lite: DEAD PIXEL? AUGH! PG 3  (Read 6425 times)
Dafones
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2006, 03:02:27 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
3. I'm hankering to find my brother's old N64 and play Ocarina of Time.  I never made it through the whole thing...in fact I only made it about 3 hrs.  I always seem to lose my direction in Nintendo RPGs

You are a bad, bad person. When you buy a Wii - that's not an if, it's a when - you will buy Ocarina of Time on the spot. And you will be thankful.

Same with Majora's Mask.

Same with A Link to the Past.

But yeah, um, the DSL looks awesome.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2006, 06:42:20 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
3. I'm hankering to find my brother's old N64 and play Ocarina of Time.  I never made it through the whole thing...in fact I only made it about 3 hrs.  I always seem to lose my direction in Nintendo RPGs

You are a bad, bad person. When you buy a Wii - that's not an if, it's a when - you will buy Ocarina of Time on the spot. And you will be thankful.

Same with Majora's Mask.

Same with A Link to the Past.

But yeah, um, the DSL looks awesome.

Or you could luck out like me and buy the Gamecube collector's disk.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2006, 01:45:59 PM »

i have never realized how much i play my ds till it's gone.  I always just start playing wether for 2 minutes or 2 hours.  The person at EB games made fun of me because I returned it in the box, the original bags, even the little pink paper in between the screens.  

Oh DS lite, I am ready to welcome you to the family come sunday.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2006, 01:52:17 PM »

we(UK) get this on the 23rd of june,ata price of 99(two third party 360 games..i.e oblivion)

but i can part exchange my old DS...and take the lite home for 60...so i think i will do that

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2006, 01:56:40 PM »

i stopped by Eb last night to put the rest of the money down on mine.

i cant wait.  I got a vacation coming up in July, and I might be traveling in the Rv with my dad, so it might come in handy then.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2006, 06:50:21 PM »

I think the EB and GS stores have all gotten their shipment of them in by now, we of course cant sell them until Sunday. I've cheated a bit though and opened mine and have been playing it in the store, and let me tell you the quality of the Lite is much better than the original DS. I held up the Lite to our DS demo system in the store to compare the screens and the Lite was so much brighter and clearer that it made the original DS seem like it didn't even have a backlight.

One thing I've been meaning to ask is whether they've mentioned if the DS Lite has improved sound over the original DS? On the Lite when you have surround sound mode on the games sound amazing.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2006, 06:57:54 PM »

2 Days suckas!

FYI- The targets around here open at 8:00 AM! I will be hitting target before church! w00t!
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2006, 07:17:38 PM »

Dammit.  I do NOT need another expense until July.  Stop being so tempting, DS Lite!

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2006, 08:17:58 PM »

Saw the DS Lite today at EB, it was on the demo stand replacing the old DS.  It looked much better then the DS.   Its no PSP of course, but it looked nice. Looks like Nintendo got it right on the second try smile.

Any idea on when the web browser comes out?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2006, 09:38:05 PM »

Sadly, my enthusiasm has been tempered by some tough RW news...but I'm past the shock and pumped like a Reebok about the Lite again.

48 hrs from now I shall be neglecting my family to play it! w00t Tongue
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2006, 11:25:23 PM »

So how do I transfer my Nintendo WiFi info if I've traded mine in?  Is this even necessary?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2006, 12:35:14 AM »

i wish my kirby stylus would fit.. that is my only sadness towards the lite.  (other than the gba games sticking out, but atleast it has a door if you don't have one in.)

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2006, 04:37:27 AM »

Sadly, my enthusiasm has been tempered by some tough RW news...but I'm past the shock and pumped like a Reebok about the Lite again.

48 hrs from now I shall be neglecting my family to play it! w00t Tongue

Don't get caught playing it in the back pews.  :wink:
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2006, 04:51:50 AM »

I really, really want one of these things now, and I'm not even sure if I wanna play any of the games on it. It's just so frickin' sexy. I guess it can finally compete with the PSP, if looks matter when it comes to portable gaming.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2006, 04:57:19 AM »

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2006, 01:43:56 PM »

In less than 24 hrs it will be in my hands! IN MY HANDS! <lightning bolts>
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2006, 04:25:30 PM »

Not to throw the countdown off, but does anyone know when the "second shipment" should be at EB?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2006, 06:18:06 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Not to throw the countdown off, but does anyone know when the "second shipment" should be at EB?

I asked the guy at EB and he just shrugged..not much help.

My wife will be picking mine up on Sunday..sadly I will be stuck at work until later in the evening.  

Is the system menu the same, or has that changed at all?

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2006, 09:19:53 PM »

Does anyone know how the battery life of the DS Lite compares to the orignial DS?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2006, 12:25:19 AM »

W00t! 12 hrs.  I shall be heading home to put my new DS Lite on the charger and then running out the door to church in no time!

W00t!
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2006, 01:05:47 AM »

W00t! 12 hrs.  I shall be heading home to put my new DS Lite on the charger and then running out the door to church in no time!

W00t!

I just pictured you as the "you can do it" guy running with a DS lite in hand while someone is laying on the horn to leave for church.  Hope you have fun tomorrow!

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2006, 05:53:50 AM »

"Not to throw the countdown off, but does anyone know when the "second shipment" should be at EB?"
Does this talk of a second shipment mean that Nintendo is not shipping a lot of units?  I figured there would be plenty to go around, as they've had a long time to manufacture them.  If I were to walk into Best Buy on Tuesday, what would my chances be that they've have some left?  Anyone know?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2006, 12:09:51 PM »

I would say you probley will find some in Target/Walmart/Best Buy.  They are making it sound like it's going to be a long time until they ship more, but I give it a week.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2006, 12:28:10 PM »

When I was in EB a week ago, they told me they only had one reserve spot left.  I tink they are going to be sorta hard to get a hold of.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2006, 12:47:35 PM »

W00t!

I am now the proud owner of 2 DS Lites.  The one I plan to keep is charging right now.  I purchased the 2nd just in case of:

* Other gamer need (shipped at cost + shipping) if there's a shortage
* Potential profiteering (depending how bad a shortage there is)
* Return to the store if neither of the above occurs.

Can't wait till it charges.

There were about 20 people there and all proceeded politely and orderly.  Someone said that they'd called target and they had 40 in stock so I felt comfortable buying 2.  Others did the same.

Met a very nice lady there with her 10 year old. The 10 year old was way past excited.

There was also a 16/17 year old who was volunteering information about the system, its capabilities and how EB was already oversold. Nice kid, so I let him geek out and decided not to grab any of the spotlight  Cool

Sweet!
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2006, 01:08:37 PM »

Quote from: "GGMark"
When I was in EB a week ago, they told me they only had one reserve spot left.  I tink they are going to be sorta hard to get a hold of.

Yeah, Nintendo is already apologizing for not having enough ready and promises that they will have a bunch more real soon.

Planned shortage to create a false panic?
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2006, 01:58:16 PM »

<shrug>  That I dont know.  Didnt really discuss it.  Maybe they just didnt figure that people would jump all over a system thats whats they had?  I dont know.  Nintendo usually seems to be right on with numbers.  Who knows.

I hate you people on the west coast from me, in Michigan.  I have another hour before I can go get mine..frown

how long do they take to charge, and what a shame that they dont come charged already...frown
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2006, 02:13:34 PM »

how long do they take to charge, and what a shame that they dont come charged already...frown

My Lite took a couple hours to charge the first time.  The battery does have some juice in it right out of the box, not sure how much tho.  There's at least enough to turn it on and play with it a bit to make sure everything works and you don't have any dead pixels.

If the battery runs down and you absolutely can't wait, you can play with it while it's plugged in.
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2006, 02:42:11 PM »

As long as I'm answering questions, here's some more:

So how do I transfer my Nintendo WiFi info if I've traded mine in? Is this even necessary?

If you already traded it in and don't have the unit anymore you're SOL.  I went online to nintendowifi.com and removed my old DS and added the new one.  When you stick a Wifi game in the new DS it will tell you that it is a different DS and that it has to save settings.  I still had my record for Tetris after doing this so maybe it somehow keeps it?

If you do still have your old DS and the new one you can transfer the setting wirelessly.  nintendowifi.com has instructions (they might be in the manual too, but mines in Japanese so i can't read it).

Does anyone know how the battery life of the DS Lite compares to the orignial DS?

I thought Nintendo said that on the brightest setting the DS Lite lasts as long as the original DS which was around 10 hours.  I don't buy that, but at level 4 brightness the Lite is too bright to use inside.  Level 2 is fine for me.  The life will also depend on what you're doing.  It should last longer when playing GBA games because one screen will be turned off completely and you won't be using the Wifi, touchscreen or mic at all.  Under normal use I usually charge mine every couple days or so.

One thing I've been meaning to ask is whether they've mentioned if the DS Lite has improved sound over the original DS? On the Lite when you have surround sound mode on the games sound amazing.

I think the sound is the same.  The surround sound thing is done in the games themselves.  Some games don't have it.  It does sound good tho, like it "widens" the the sound.

Any idea on when the web browser comes out?

I don't think there's an exact release date but I'm guessing no sooner than the Fall.

Is the system menu the same, or has that changed at all?

The OS is exactly the same as far as I can tell.  The brightness button now toggles between 4 levels of brightness instead of on and off.  There is no off for the backlight anymore.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2006, 02:53:42 PM »

So I've fallen into the DSL hype. This won't be the first handheld I've ever owned and I'm intrigued by the "gadgetry" of the device, but none of it's games interest me whatsoever. It was the same way when the PSP came out (luckily I didn't get one). I guess I just want the device for the sake of having a new, shiny gadget to tinker with. <shrug>

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2006, 03:02:11 PM »

Charged up. System set up done.  Load up NSMB and what do I see?

A dead pixel on the touch screen.  It's light green.

What do I do?  Will it clear up or is this one defective?

GAAH!
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2006, 03:26:49 PM »

I'm sure EB tells everyone they only have one left. They're like the used car salesmen who tell you that someone just test drove the car that you want to buy.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2006, 03:50:24 PM »

no, the Eb I go to, the guy I usually go to talk to is pretty cool.  I been going to the same store for years now.

They didnt have more than 20 in the store.

I started mine up in the car, to make sure everything was Kosher, it looked Ok, but now that I am home.  I will double check for dead pixels.  Wow that would suck.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2006, 03:53:03 PM »

no, the Eb I go to, the guy I usually go to talk to is pretty cool.  I been going to the same store for years now.

They didnt have more than 20 in the store.

I started mine up in the car, to make sure everything was Kosher, it looked Ok, but now that I am home.  I will double check for dead pixels.  Wow that would suck.

So does that mean it's defective or is there a wear in time?
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2006, 04:09:57 PM »

I went to Best Buy and they had many many DS Lites, so no lines or shortage around here. I picked one up and I am impressed. I did a check for dead pixels during set up and didn't see any. I went brightness setting 3. (4 is only supposed to last 5-8 hours I think). One was way too dim and 2 looked a lot like the DS's setting. Anyway, I loaded up Super Mario and WOWZERS. The difference is unbelievable. Seriously, it's like night and day. I even put it back in my DS just to be sure the difference was as big as I thought and WOW. Awesome new screens. Hope the battery life on setting 3 isn't too bad.

It's considerably lighter and smaller than the other model and looks sleeker. I always thought the DS itself got a bad rep for design as I thought it always looked neat, but whatever, the Lite is cooler looking. I also like where the LEDs are (on the spine of the clamshell). Much more visible. Thumbs up from me, now I am letting it charge! smile

ATB, if mine had (or ends up having) a dead pixel, I would return it. If they refuse then politely raise hell.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2006, 04:17:36 PM »

Yea, just restarted mine, and gave a check for dead pixels.  Didnt find any.  Played some of mario loving it.  I know there were some complaints with no saves, but I am only like halfway through the first world and I had two chances to save.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2006, 07:49:06 PM »

So hold up - is Gamestop/EB supposed to get their first shipment in today?  Or are we talking about other stores, like Target, Best Buy, etc.?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2006, 08:22:58 PM »

A dead pixel on the touch screen.  It's light green.

What do I do?  Will it clear up or is this one defective?

Generally, no. Thankfully, Nintendo tends to be very generous with their replacement policies when it comes to dead pixels (just give them a call or go exchange it at your place of purchase), so odds are it'll turn out good in the end.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Moatman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2006, 08:33:19 PM »

No dead pixels in mine today, was a bit worried.  I had a couple "always on" pixels on my psp, but you only notice them when the screen is totally black, and even then you barely notice.

As for the no-saves in the mario, I've gotten to the point where I may give up on the game.  I'm in world 8 and the levels after the "tower" are really frustrating me to the point where I get pissed every time I try to play.  I used to be decent enough at platformers, beat all 96 levels in super mario world multiple times for example, but as I've gotten older I just can't do it anymore.  I *always* get to a point in platformers where I get stuck and can't go any further these days.  

So I've basically gotten all the enjoyment I ever will out of nsmb and even mario64 I got at ds launch.  I did beat the level I was stuck on *once* in this new mario...but didn't have enough coins to open up a gate and save, total crap the way the saves are setup and it's going to cost me never actually beating the game.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2006, 08:41:14 PM »

I got it!!!!! I'm embarrassed about how excited I feel about it. Oh well, I never got to own a console when I was a kid, so this makes up for it, I guess. So far, I've only set the system up and played a bit of Animal Crossing, but it's so sweet and all of my pixels are alive and kicking.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: