http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 05:51:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Countdown to DS Lite: DEAD PIXEL? AUGH! PG 3  (Read 6638 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2006, 09:11:44 PM »

Actually less, but I'm not going to be tracking hours.  And some of you lucky schlubs already have it...but for the rest of us:

Whose jumping into the handheld market for the first time?  

Whose upgrading from a DS/PSP to a DS Lite?

For those of you in the first category, what purchases have you made in preparation for your new toy?

I'll start!  biggrin

As mentioned somewhere, this will be my first handheld gaming system in 25 years.  I'm thrilled beyond all get out and it was pretty much New Super Mario Brothers that pushed me over the edge- that and needing an easy way to get a gaming fix when the TV is occupied of when I'm on a trip.

I have spent mucho dinero already on the DS:

The system  (116.00 at Overstock), a 10.00 case, 4 games (Meteos, Mario Kart, Advance Wars and Phoenix Wright (re-issue preorder <4 of em>).  Other things I might want to buy are screen protectors as it seems lots of people recommend them, Castlevania, New Super Mario Brothers (natch) and some of the other quirky games like Brain Age and Big Brain Academy and Kirby: Cursed Canvas).  All of it mostly financed by the selling of old games.

I'm most excited about the features of the DS including wifi- I'll need players to house me on MK in the coming days- as well as being back in touch with my Nintendo side for the first time since the NES.

I'm super excited and it's neat to be able to buy my second console in a year (PS2 in March) and feel like a gaming N00b with all of the requisite excitement that comes with it.  Now I've got to not go overboard and somehow save up some cash for the Wii.

Anyhew-  Can't wait!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 09:49:47 PM »

Upgrading from a DS to a Lite, though I have to wait until Father's Day to receive mine.  Very much looking forward to it and have been deliberate holiding off playing DS games for the last month or so in anticipation.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 09:55:29 PM »

Will probably be getting one soon after release. My girlfriend gave me the perfect excuse (at the expense of me almost killing her) by losing the DS I gave her for X-mas. When may depend on how often we are both vying for our one DS over the next week.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 10:33:05 PM »

I still play lots of GBA games on my DS so I'm not sold on the Lite yet.  I think the GBA carts stick out and that would bug me.

I'll get a Lite eventually and give the old DS to the kids to play.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 10:54:09 PM »

Tempted, but money is a bit tight.  Depending on the trades market, may acquire an original DS through the trading forum.

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 10:59:08 PM »

I like my GBA SP still, sure the Ds is awesome.

I might get one, one day. Not anytime soon.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 11:27:43 PM »

I'm still deciding if I want one.  EB/Gamestop is offereing $70 for an original DS trade-in this week, which brings the price of a DS Lite preorder down to $60.  Tempting, but I don't know if the better screens and buttons are worth it.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 11:52:36 PM »

As someone who owns one I can tell you that it really isn't that big of a deal.  In fact I gave mine away to my girlfriend.  If it's your first DS then ok that's fine.  But if you are excited about getting an upgrade then you are officially a geek smile
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 12:27:30 AM »

As someone who owns one I can tell you that it really isn't that big of a deal. In fact I gave mine away to my girlfriend.

If your willing to just give your DS away your obviously not the type of person who would be excited for the DS Lite.

Personally, I've owned a DS before but traded it in, but I'm definately picking up the Lite. Can't wait!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 12:49:14 AM »

Hey I was excited-I waited in line with about 500 japanese people on opening day smile

It was my first DS though so I got an excuse.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 01:11:17 AM »

Quote from: "Canuck"
Hey I was excited-I waited in line with about 500 japanese people on opening day smile

It was my first DS though so I got an excuse.

lol. that was chuckle worth.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 11:38:14 AM »

I want to upgrade to a Lite and if they'd brought Navy or Black to the US I'd have done so on day one...but not white. No thanks. I'll happily while away the hours waiting for another color on my blue DS.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 11:39:49 AM »

Both my wife and myself are upgrading to the DS lite definately looks to be the superior version of the two systems. If for nothing other than the larger stylus.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 12:23:21 PM »

Let's chat about colors to ring in T-minus 6 days.

I usually like cool colors on my stuff- and more often than not, I like dark colors- black, navy blue, hunter green, blah blah blah...but as I've gotten older and more um, practical, I find that dark colored stuff is a pain in teh tuckus.

For example: I used to have an umbrella that was black.  If I was to ever do a quick visual search for it in my closet or on the floorboards of my car I could never see it.  Ditto my walkman or any other old electronic thing.

Now I have a nice yellow umbrella that sticks out against dark backgrounds and is easily visible. I have a fire engine red mp3 player that is easy to spot in the bottom of my computer bag....and that's why I will be getting the stark white DS.

If I get a black one or a blue one or a whatever one, I'll never be able to find it. With a bright white one, I shall be able to see it in my car, my bag, in drawers, in pockets, in my dog's belly, etc.

Vive Polar White!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 12:25:27 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
If I get a black one or a blue one or a whatever one, I'll never be able to find it. With a bright white one, I shall be able to see it in my car, my bag, in drawers, in pockets, in my dog's belly, etc.

Vive Polar White!

LOL, who knows...I may change my mind once I get to see one (I've seen Lites, but not the white).

angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 04:28:14 PM »

Quote from: "Temjin"
I'm still deciding if I want one.  EB/Gamestop is offereing $70 for an original DS trade-in this week, which brings the price of a DS Lite preorder down to $60.  Tempting, but I don't know if the better screens and buttons are worth it.

I haven't been able to find any offical information regarding the EB/Gamestop trade in deal. Does this only pertain to certain stores, or is it nationwide in the US? Is there any information on their website?
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 04:32:41 PM »

Got mine on pre order...I cant wait.  I got to play a bit of mario the other day at Game Stop.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 04:39:08 PM »

Quote from: "angrycoder"

I haven't been able to find any offical information regarding the EB/Gamestop trade in deal. Does this only pertain to certain stores, or is it nationwide in the US? Is there any information on their website?

The deal isn't specific to DS...it is an extra 20 bucks for trading in a DS, GC, PSP, PS2, XBox, or 360. It is in the June 4th Newspaper insert and the offers run through 6/11. No coupon is required. As far as I know, it is nationwide.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 04:58:14 PM »

Just call your local store if you are unsure- that's what I did to confirm the deal and I'm trading in my old DS later today.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 05:46:29 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"

The deal isn't specific to DS...it is an extra 20 bucks for trading in a DS, GC, PSP, PS2, XBox, or 360. It is in the June 4th Newspaper insert and the offers run through 6/11. No coupon is required. As far as I know, it is nationwide.

How much does an Xbox trade-in go for?  I have one laying around in a box (w/ power cords but no controllers), it's tempting to put that towards a DS.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 06:38:46 PM »

If your willing to just give your DS away your obviously not the type of person who would be excited for the DS Lite.

...you're...your...you're...

Grammar zing!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2006, 08:11:26 PM »

Does Gamestop or EB have DS Lites on display now?  I'd like to try one out first before deciding to trade-in.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2006, 11:08:31 AM »

For the 5 day celebration, I'm going to discuss which game I shall fire up first on my new DS Lite (after charging of course).

Right now I have Meteos (en route, purchased used), Mario Kart and Advance Wars and though I'm interested in playing each, I don't know that any one of them will be my first foray into handheld gaming.

I'm thinking I may buy New Super Mario Brothers, but I have a big problem paying full price for any game and I missed the circuit city sale on the game by mere seconds before it went out of stock online.

However, that game seems like it would be perfect for the beautiful bright screen and new handheld goodness.  Sadly, the cost is the biggest issue. What shall I do?
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 11:35:54 AM »

Quote from: "Clanwolfer"
How much does an Xbox trade-in go for?  I have one laying around in a box (w/ power cords but no controllers), it's tempting to put that towards a DS.

This week only it is 70 dollars Trade in Credit or 80 if you trade it in for a 360. However, that includes power cords, video cords and one controller. You'll have to buy a used controller from them if you can't find one, which would knock 15 or 20 off. Still, beats a doorstop.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2006, 02:37:14 PM »

I know that coming from me, it's going to be taken the wrong way:

Is this really a daily countdown thread to a system that's already out?!

smile

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2006, 03:06:42 PM »

No. It's for the DS Lite, silly!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2006, 03:47:37 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
I know that coming from me, it's going to be taken the wrong way:

Is this really a daily countdown thread to a system that's already out?!

:)

Think about it as getting excited about a new video card and raising all the detail settings on your favorite games...while at the same time making your mouse easier to hold and your computer tower smaller and lighter.  Sure, your 3.5" floppies stick out of the drive a bit when you have one inserted, but it's a small price to---wait, what was I talking about?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2006, 09:10:57 PM »

So I went ahead and bought New Super Mario Bros today.  It shall be my first DS game!
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2006, 11:53:29 PM »

ok so i finally noticed the coupon for the additional $20 off from gamestop's website.  I might do the trade in since it will only be 59.99..i feel like if I don't do it, i will regret it in the future.  

unrelated..but do you know how much they would take for a old ps2 (one of the bigger ones)..cause I've been thinking of seeing how much i could get to put it towards a new ps2 (the thin one)

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2006, 12:23:07 AM »

I almost pre-emptively traded in my DS several months ago, when the rumors of an enhanced version were first swirling. The PR flacks at Nintendo were so vehement in their denials that I got cold feet. They announced the DSL right after. Just as well, since they went Japan-first. In the meantime, my daughter discovered the DS. Kirby's Canvas Curse ("the balloon game") and Tetris ("the squares game") are her favorites. So, she gets the old one, with a Nintendogs skin to make it "new," and Dad (and Mom, who has fallen sway to Brain Age, all according to Nintendo's diabolical plans) gets a new DSL. I'm also of the belief that while black is cool, it scratches so easily I'll gladly go for white.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2006, 01:28:40 AM »

Quote from: "adamsappel"
...and Mom, who has fallen sway to Brain Age, all according to Nintendo's diabolical plans...

Ladies sure do love them some Brain Age.

xbox live: nude rick james
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2006, 11:34:45 AM »

Quote from: "weleavefossils"
unrelated..but do you know how much they would take for a old ps2 (one of the bigger ones)..cause I've been thinking of seeing how much i could get to put it towards a new ps2 (the thin one)

Should be $45 + the 20, depending on condition/completeness of course.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2006, 12:36:28 PM »

So last night, to ring in T-Minus 4 days, I opened up my first DS game to be played: New Super Mario Bros.  MAN! That cartridge is small!

I inhaled deeply and smelled the glossy manual and was instantly transported back to the late 80's and early 90's.  Nintendo was back in my life after 15 +/- years.

I played some Mario Kart in college, but by and large was a PC gamer for all of the 90s through 2002.

Oh Mario, I embrace you as kin once again!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2006, 01:40:28 PM »

Oh Mario, I embrace you as kin once again!

You really are Tony Little...admit it.

unbreakable
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2006, 12:54:15 AM »

That avatar is from the Geico commercial, isn't it?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2006, 01:27:03 AM »

I'm IN! on the second shipment!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2006, 04:13:46 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
That avatar is from the Geico commercial, isn't it?

"You can do it!"

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2006, 11:59:20 AM »

3 more days.  Is it coincidental that this has been a slow week?  As my GT bretheren seem not to be as stoked as I am about the release of the DS Lite, the week is taking even longer.  

Random T-Minus 3 Day countdown questions:

1. It's fun to say 'Koopa Troopa' over an over <giggle>
2. Wouldn't Nintendo's Pro Wrestling be a great updated wrestling game for the DS?  I think so. Bring back all the classic characters. I think it's time for a new generation to behold the bad assness of King Slender, the subtle bad guyness of Kin Corn Karn and the absolute uselessness of Fighter Hayabusa.
3. I'm hankering to find my brother's old N64 and play Ocarina of Time.  I never made it through the whole thing...in fact I only made it about 3 hrs.  I always seem to lose my direction in Nintendo RPGs
4. I have a man crush on Mario.  How could you not?  I mean, every time I hear or say the words 'Ittsa me, Mario!' my heart lightens
5. I downloaded a trailer...yes a trailer. SSB Brawl.  It's still a great trailer. Who is MetaKnight?
6. I know already that because I'm grown with grown up responsiblities, the Nintendo rebirth into my life won't be exactly the jovial care free times that they were when I was a kid, but I'm hoping that some of the magic will be rekindled.
7. Who is Kirby and why does have his own games?
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2006, 01:09:09 PM »

apparently I am in for the DS lite..my wife was like "aren't you taking in your ds for trade in tomorrow?"..i honestly made the decision to just let it go by..but not when I am told to do it!

I feel like im betraying my old ds though..poor guy.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
warning

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2006, 01:44:36 PM »

Random T-Minus 3 Day countdown questions:

1. It's fun to say 'Koopa Troopa' over an over <giggle>
2. Wouldn't Nintendo's Pro Wrestling be a great updated wrestling game for the DS?  I think so. Bring back all the classic characters. I think it's time for a new generation to behold the bad assness of King Slender, the subtle bad guyness of Kin Corn Karn and the absolute uselessness of Fighter Hayabusa.
3. I'm hankering to find my brother's old N64 and play Ocarina of Time.  I never made it through the whole thing...in fact I only made it about 3 hrs.  I always seem to lose my direction in Nintendo RPGs
4. I have a man crush on Mario.  How could you not?  I mean, every time I hear or say the words 'Ittsa me, Mario!' my heart lightens
5. I downloaded a trailer...yes a trailer. SSB Brawl.  It's still a great trailer. Who is MetaKnight?
6. I know already that because I'm grown with grown up responsiblities, the Nintendo rebirth into my life won't be exactly the jovial care free times that they were when I was a kid, but I'm hoping that some of the magic will be rekindled.
7. Who is Kirby and why does have his own games?

1. Not a question.
2. Never played it.
3. You will be able to buy it on the Virtual Console and play it on the Wii.  This will be my first purchase.
4. I like how he jumps with his fist raised high in the Mario & Luigi games.  It's like a black power salute.
5. No idea who MetaKnight is.
6. Still not a question.
7. Kirby's awesome.  You really need to pick up the Kirby DS game once you get your DS.  It's the game that hooked me on my DS and has the greatest control scheme ever.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: