http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 03:31:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: could ps3 lose its exclusive FF13???  (Read 3547 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2007, 04:18:31 PM »

the way the exclusives are dropping like flies from the PS3,it would seem likely

kotaku this morning reported the same story,but their link doesnt work...so here is C and VG(computer and video games)link

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=160471

for those of you who cant be arsed clicking on the link

'The latest in Square Enix's epic RPG series, Final Fantasy XIII, has not yet been secured as a PS3-exclusive.

Discussing game exclusivity, Vice president of SCE Europe, Georges Fornay, told French site dna.fr: "The development cost of games has exploded, so it has become difficult to have exclusiveness, except over our own games."

He goes on to reveal that exclusivity for Final Fantasy XIII is "under discussion", suggesting that the deal is still up for grabs. Might we see Square opt for a cross platform release? We've put forward the query and await a reply.

Fornay confirms: "We will have as of launch 30 games, including Motorstorm, Resistance and Virtua Fighter 5. Moreover, we await 200 games from here to the end of 2007." There'll be plenty of games to play, then.

Exclusivity looks set to become a rarer occurrence with escalating development costs making it increasingly necessary for third-party developers to release games on multiple platforms to gain maximum possible returns on their investments.'

and here is what Kotaku had to say

'In an interview with French newspaper Dernières Nouvelles d'Alsace, SCEE VP Georges Fornay  has gone and said something a little...silly. While discussing the upcoming PS3 launch, he thought it'd be a good idea to clarify just where Sony stands in regards to Final Fantasy XIII:

Enfin, pour Final Fantasy XIII, je peux vous dire que l'exclusivité est en discussion (Lastly, for Final Fantasy XIII, I can say to you that exclusiveness is under discussion).

Right. See, Georges, can I call you Georges? Georges, we were all under the impression FFXIII was already a PS3 exclusive. If what you say is true, now of all times probably wasn't the best to bring this up.

That said, this is probably just a mix-up. He might have gotten flustered and chosen his words rather poorly. Maybe, being French, he went for flowery prose when he should have just stuck to "no comment". Try and keep this in mind before you go bouncing off the walls, OK?'

still,nothing concrete,but with all thats gone on recently,it wouldnt suprise me if FF13 did come to 360...some one important said just last week that squeenix white engine(which they are using for FF13)could easily be adapted and ported for the 360

i guess we will just have to wait and see,i think it still isnt due out until 2008 anyway,just like MGS4

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 04:20:38 PM »

Could you read halfway down the page and find the 50+ posts we've made on it already???

gellar
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 04:22:25 PM »

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,19011.50.html

We already had this argument yesterday.

NOT.GONNA.HAPPEN.

It is cute though how people seem to be latching onto this non-story in some vain hope (less than 10% I'd say) that FF XIII will be on the 360.  icon_wink

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 04:25:03 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 22, 2007, 04:22:25 PM

NOT.GONNA.HAPPEN.

... in Hetz's opinion.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 04:26:12 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 22, 2007, 04:25:03 PM

NOT.GONNA.HAPPEN.

... in Hetz's opinion.

Well, obviously.

In your opinion, it will. We will see.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 04:28:41 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 22, 2007, 04:26:12 PM

In your opinion, it will. We will see.

That's not what I'm saying.  I'm saying it can't be ruled out - obviously, if exclusivity were locked up, we'd be getting a bunch of denials/corrections from Sony and Square.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 04:31:07 PM »

okay sorry guys,i did look but i guess i missed it

and sorry Hetz,i forgot you love that machine

it was actually a different topic of what Calvin posted,but i suppose seomone might have posted this in the thread already
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 04:32:40 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 04:31:25 PM »

Jesus tapdancing Christ, we already have a thread saying all of this stuff, down to the same arguments.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 04:31:44 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 22, 2007, 04:31:25 PM

Jesus tapdancing Christ, we already have a thread saying all of this stuff, down to the same arguments.

Did it have this argument?

Your mother.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 04:33:45 PM »

Quote from: gellar on March 22, 2007, 04:31:44 PM

Your mother.

gellar

I will end you sir. Or does getting busted by J-J a third goddamn time not sound good to you?
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 04:34:35 PM »

Quote from: gellar on March 22, 2007, 04:31:44 PM

Your mother.

My mother?!

YOU'RE GONNA...

wait...

Calvin's mom?

No problem.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 04:37:08 PM »

someone can delete this thread if they wish

sorry,i will double check next time when posting a new thread

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 04:39:18 PM »

It is cute though how people seem to be latching onto this non-story in some vain hope (less than 10% I'd say) that FF XIII will be on the 360.  icon_wink

Kinda like it is cute some people latch onto any thread of hope about the PS3 making a miraculous comeback in a few months?   slywink

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 04:48:45 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 22, 2007, 04:37:08 PM

someone can delete this thread if they wish

sorry,i will double check next time when posting a new thread

No need to be sorry, I wasnt bolding at you, just at the arguments. Gellar was just being a jerk. He is gellar.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 05:02:41 PM »

gellar adds fuel
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 05:03:56 PM »

Quote from: warning on March 22, 2007, 05:02:41 PM

gellar adds fuel

AND I AM FIRE... BURN ROAR!?
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 05:31:55 PM »

As I always mention, it seems Squeenix's strategy is to not tie their success or failure to one platform.  And, the logic of that strategy is pretty hard to argue against.

Now of course a console would love to lock down Squeenix, since their games pull people to the console, not the other way around.  But that situation is good for the console manufacturer, not Squeenix.  Having a game on multiple platforms can mean big money: just ask Rockstar Games (or EA Sports).

When you hear Squeenix state FF13 was created to be platform independent, it's not hard to see what they are thinking.  You don't go through all that trouble to make the game exclusive to one platform: you go through all that trouble to make it multiplatform.

I wouldn't be surprised if FF13 at least makes it to the PC.  And if you are going to do that, it's probably far easier to throw a 360 version out there as well.  IMO, the only thing which will limit them is how many potential sales they believe that platform can sell.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 05:37:23 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on March 22, 2007, 05:31:55 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if FF13 at least makes it to the PC.  And if you are going to do that, it's probably far easier to throw a 360 version out there as well.  IMO, the only thing which will limit them is how many potential sales they believe that platform can sell.

A PC port would surprise me a bit.  The only non-MMO ones they've done are VII & VIII, and neither of those turned out very well (or sold very well, from what I understand).  FFXI is still going gangbusters, but I think they'd be a more than a little gunshy about a PC port of a single player RPG.

As someone that is PS3-less for the forseeable future, that isn't to say I wouldn't want a port, but I just doubt we'll see it.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 05:43:45 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on March 22, 2007, 05:31:55 PM

When you hear Squeenix state FF13 was created to be platform independent, it's not hard to see what they are thinking.  You don't go through all that trouble to make the game exclusive to one platform: you go through all that trouble to make it multiplatform.

To be fair, they never said that. The series creator, which doesn't work for them anymore, said that.

Also, he said the White Engine was designed to be an open development platform, not strictly tied to the PS3. He never said that FFXIII was created to be platform independant.

unbreakable
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 06:10:04 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 22, 2007, 05:37:23 PM

A PC port would surprise me a bit.  The only non-MMO ones they've done are VII & VIII, and neither of those turned out very well (or sold very well, from what I understand). 

I can't speak for how well it sold, but the PC port of FF VII was actually quite good, and had some extra content (I think two more Ultima Weapons were around, fun for completionists like me).  Unfortunately, I lost the last disk, so if I ever replay it's going to have to be on the PSX.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 06:13:50 PM »

The problem with the PC port of FF7 is that they didn't re-render the backgrounds for higher resolution.  So 320x240 backgrounds that looked fine on a TV thanks to the native blurring effect were pixelly messes on a monitor at just 640x480.  That was offset a little bit by the nice (for the time) 3D accelerated battle sequences. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2007, 06:16:04 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 22, 2007, 06:13:50 PM

The problem with the PC port of FF7 is that they didn't re-render the backgrounds for higher resolution.  So 320x240 backgrounds that looked fine on a TV thanks to the native blurring effect were pixelly messes on a monitor at just 640x480.  That was offset a little bit by the nice (for the time) 3D accelerated battle sequences. 

That was the problem I remember as well.  I also recall that the music was screwy as well (different MIDI systems between PC & PS1), and never really sounded right.

Something tells me we wouldn't run into those types of problems with the current gen. smile

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2007, 06:18:17 PM »

And the wrong thread won't die frown It makes me angry HULK SMASH.

I owned the PC version FF7 for a long time and tried to play it many times, but as Kevin said, the 320x240 prerendered background were hideous.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2007, 06:37:21 PM »

Bah you kids.  I played FFVII on the PC back in the day and I liked it, low-rez backgrounds and buggy crashes and all.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2007, 06:38:17 PM »

Quote from: warning on March 22, 2007, 06:37:21 PM

Bah you kids.  I played FFVII on the PC back in the day and I liked it, low-rez backgrounds and buggy crashes and all.

Same here. I had a good time with it. smile

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 06:41:19 PM »

Quote from: warning on March 22, 2007, 06:37:21 PM

I loved it too (I had only spent maybe an hour or two at a friend's playing it on PS1 so the PC version was the first experience for me).  But it didn't stop me from noticing how much the backgrounds looked like ass. 
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2007, 07:21:34 PM »

NOT.GONNA.HAPPEN.

It is cute though how people seem to be latching onto this non-story in some vain hope (less than 10% I'd say) that FF XIII will be on the 360.  icon_wink

Tell you what, Hetz. I'm willing to make a bet if you are.

If, within 6 months of FFXIII's release on the PS3 (a reasonable timeframe for a time-limited exclusive to last long enough for S-E to break the news), it hasn't been officially acknowledged to be in the works for a release on the 360, I'll purchase FFXIII on the PS3 for Ron to offer as a prize for whatever contest he wants to run on the site. If, however, FFXIII is officially acknowledged as in the works for the 360 anytime prior to that 6-month-post-game-release timestamp, then you will purchase FFXIII for the 360 when it's released for Ron to offer as a prize for whatever contest he wants to run on the site.

I'm confident enough that it's a fair wager with decent odds of me winning. Are you?

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2007, 07:24:20 PM »

I think that's a double-dog-dare, isn't it?

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 07:25:27 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 22, 2007, 07:24:20 PM

Well, I figure it's a decent step up from standard forum debating, and making the wager over picking up a game for Ron to offer as a contest prize for the site makes it a positive and fun wager for GT. icon_biggrin

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2007, 07:25:42 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on March 22, 2007, 07:21:34 PM

NOT.GONNA.HAPPEN.

If, within 6 months of FFXIII's release on the PS3 (a reasonable timeframe for a time-limited exclusive to last long enough for S-E to break the news), it hasn't been officially acknowledged to be in the works for a release on the 360, I'll purchase FFXIII on the PS3 for Ron to offer as a prize for whatever contest he wants to run on the site. If, however, FFXIII is officially acknowledged as in the works for the 360 anytime prior to that 6-month-post-game-release timestamp, then you will purchase FFXIII for the 360 when it's released for Ron to offer as a prize for whatever contest he wants to run on the site.

I'm confident enough that it's a fair wager with decent odds of me winning. Are you?

Oh, SNAP!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2007, 07:25:48 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 22, 2007, 07:24:20 PM

Which, I believe, calls for this:

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2007, 07:38:26 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on March 22, 2007, 07:21:34 PM

NOT.GONNA.HAPPEN.

I am very willing to take that bet. I'd say the odds are in my favor though.  Tongue

Honestly though, this bet is about 2-3 years off from coming to a head, even if it comes out for the 360. The FFXIII game won't be out in the USA or Japan until 2008 or maybe even 2009. The demo may hit later this year on the PSN though. If it does come for the 360, we are looking at most likely 2009/10/11.

That is a long ways off, but I'm game.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 07:40:59 PM by Hetz » Logged

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2007, 07:45:02 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 22, 2007, 07:38:26 PM

Cool! I'm sure Ron will be happiest of all; free contest for him to run either way! icon_biggrin I do agree the odds are slightly in your favor, too, but it'll be fun anyway.

The one downside is, yeah, the game is so far off. Don't worry, my memory is long! It'll still be fun having the prize/contest when the release comes around anyway.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2007, 07:50:33 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on March 22, 2007, 07:45:02 PM

Cool! I'm sure Ron will be happiest of all; free contest for him to run either way! icon_biggrin I do agree the odds are slightly in your favor, too, but it'll be fun anyway.

The one downside is, yeah, the game is so far off. Don't worry, my memory is long! It'll still be fun having the prize/contest when the release comes around anyway.

Agreed!  thumbsup

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2007, 07:50:48 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on March 22, 2007, 07:45:02 PM

Dont forget the forth-coming delays. You know how Square is.  slywink

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2007, 10:28:57 PM »

This calls for a poll.

Who wants to open the THIRD THREAD ON THIS DEAD HORSE?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2007, 10:33:09 PM »

No one unless they want me to yell obscenities for ruining my awesome thread and then forgetting about it. I am tired, and angry, and prone to violence today. Do not tempt me.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2007, 10:36:22 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 22, 2007, 10:28:57 PM

This calls for a poll.

Quote from: Calvin on March 22, 2007, 10:33:09 PM

No one unless they want me to yell obscenities for ruining my awesome thread and then forgetting about it. I am tired, and angry, and prone to violence today. Do not tempt me.

I am so there.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2007, 10:41:18 PM »

Quote from: gellar on March 22, 2007, 10:36:22 PM

Quote from: Purge on March 22, 2007, 10:28:57 PM

This calls for a poll.

Quote from: Calvin on March 22, 2007, 10:33:09 PM

I am so there.

gellar

And death shall be your just reward infidel!!!  mad
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2007, 10:43:21 PM »

Durka durka.

gellar
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print