http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 01:30:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could I start the MGS series with #3?  (Read 2136 times)
Dafones
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2006, 07:38:09 AM »

I've always wanted to try out the Metal Gear Solid series - one of the best on the PS/PS2, goes the rumour - but I gave Sons of Liberty a shot a while back and wasn't really able to get into it. I really didn't know what the hell I was doing, and since the game is so cut scene heavy, I wasn't given a lot of time to try to figure the game out before I got bored of it. I'm not against cut scenes by any means, but I also want to play a game.

Still, a part of mel wants to play the games, and enjoy them.

MGS3: Subsistance is relatively cheap (and/or rentable), and I was just kinda wondering if it would be unwise to play it first. I understand that it's a prequel, but would I be doing myself a disservice by playing the third game in the series first? Will I get it? Or shoud I really try to drudge up a copy of MGS1 for the PS and play it on my PS2?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 07:55:52 AM »

Storywise, you'd be fine for the most part.  Some relevance of events would be lost, but since it's a prequel that isn't really required.

It's the gameplay that would be a big deal, especially if you ever want to go back and play 1&2.  Each game has essentially added a large amount of tools to the toolbelt, so going to 1 after playing 3 would feel kind of limiting.  I would recommend just starting with MGS1 and go from there.  Graphically it's a bit dated obviously but otherwise it still holds up very well in my opinion. Just replayed the original PS1 version this year, in fact. Alternately you could grab The Twin Snakes if you have a Cube since it has updated graphics and gameplay. 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 08:07:58 AM »

yeah if you have a Gamecube or a Wii, just play Twin Snakes first
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 12:38:05 PM »

if you played snake eater first it wouldnt be too bad,,,but you would miss all that....'oooh theres him'...or 'so thats why that was like that in the first two games'...stuff like that

i like the metal gear series for another reason as well,it gets me to use....my gamecube,xbox and ps2...which since my 360 came into view,i have hardly touched

cant wait for the PSP game thats set in 1970!!!!(which will be set after snake eater but before twin snakes and sons of liberty...and persumely guns of the patriots)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 07:01:15 PM »

DO NOT!

As a gamer who missed the boat on the PSX and only recently (03/06) arrived in Playstation Twoosville, hunt for MGS and MGS2 and play them.  MGS holds up remarkably well- though you'll note the primitive control limitations- and MGS2 is a masterpiece of a game.  A MASTERPIECE.

3 is a gigantic departure from the first 2 (and I've still not worked through it due to other game priorities).

YOU MUST play MGS and MGS2.  Please, for the sake of Snake...
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 05:59:44 AM »

I actually wanted to pick up Twin Snakes, but it's hella difficult to find anywhere. A little Ebay action seems to be the only way to purchase a copy. (Or I could rent it, if a copy's available.)

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 06:06:20 AM »

Quote from: Dafones on November 27, 2006, 05:59:44 AM

I actually wanted to pick up Twin Snakes, but it's hella difficult to find anywhere. A little Ebay action seems to be the only way to purchase a copy. (Or I could rent it, if a copy's available.)

You can grab a used copy from an Amazon seller for about $20.00.  Whichever way you go, I'd recommend getting one with a case if possible.  You actually need it for one moment in the game (though it can also be easily bypassed with the use of a FAQ so it's not a dealbreaker). 
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 08:45:25 AM »

Could you?  Sure.  Should you?  Fuck no.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
only1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 01:49:00 PM »

I would definitely say go to MGS1.  It, by far, for me, has been one of the best games I've played.  MGS2 just wasnt that good, IMO ad I'm still working on MGS3... but I've played through MGS1 so many times... it's re-playability is phenomenol.

"Beer- the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes little problems."
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 04:26:04 PM »

I heard you are better off playing the original MGS rather than the "Twin Snakes" version of MGS.  I've only played the original, so I don't know what differences there are.

BTW, I saw a disk with MGS 1/2/3, can't remember what the name was, but it was probably for PS2.  Any criticisms of that version I should be aware of?  Tower Records is closing, and they have one I've got my eye on for their ultimate "we need to get the hell out of here" sale.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 04:29:05 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on November 27, 2006, 04:26:04 PM

BTW, I saw a disk with MGS 1/2/3, can't remember what the name was, but it was probably for PS2. 

I've never heard of such a compilation.  What you might have seen was Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence which has the "Special Edition" version of MGS3 along with newly translated versions of Metal Gear 1&2 (ie not MG Solid but instead the original MSX games circa the mid to late 80s).  If that is the disc you saw, I can say that Subsistence is perhaps the greatest gaming "Special Edition" ever. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 05:27:33 PM »

Quote from: only1 on November 27, 2006, 01:49:00 PM

MGS2 just wasnt that good,

eek puke

Gah!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 06:21:56 PM »

BTW, I saw a disk with MGS 1/2/3, can't remember what the name was, but it was probably for PS2.  Any criticisms of that version I should be aware of?

I haven't heard of anything like that either...buuuut if you buy it I'll buy it off you for twice as much as you paid for it slywink

TheMissingLink on PSN
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 06:41:54 PM »

Metal Gear (NES) > MGS1 (PS1) > MGS3 (PS2) > MGS2 (PS2) > Metal Gear: Snake's Revenge (NES) > Halo.
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 07:13:44 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 27, 2006, 04:29:05 PM

BTW, I saw a disk with MGS 1/2/3, can't remember what the name was, but it was probably for PS2. 

I've never heard of such a compilation.  What you might have seen was Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence which has the "Special Edition" version of MGS3 along with newly translated versions of Metal Gear 1&2 (ie not MG Solid but instead the original MSX games circa the mid to late 80s).  If that is the disc you saw, I can say that Subsistence is perhaps the greatest gaming "Special Edition" ever. 

Ah yes, Subsistence was the one.  That actually sounds cooler than I though, I'll see if it's still there when I go home (I need to stop buying games!!!).

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on November 27, 2006, 06:41:54 PM

Metal Gear (NES) > MGS1 (PS1) > MGS3 (PS2) > MGS2 (PS2) > Metal Gear: Snake's Revenge (NES) > Halo.

Actually, I loved Snake's Revenge (I may be one of the few).  Tried playing the original MG, never really liked it that much.  The first MGS, however, is one of my all-time favorite games.  There aren't too many games which will make you want to play for 24 hours straight.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 07:17:46 PM »

FWIW, Snake's Revenge was officially disowned.  It was an American-created sequel.  The "true" MG2 was Japan only and the Subsistence disk is the first time we've received an official release of it. 

MG2 is pretty remarkable in how closely it matches in gameplay to MGS1.  Very advanced for the 8 bit days.  It's pretty akin to Zelda: Link to the Past compared to Ocarina of Time. 
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 07:51:46 PM »

Yeah, I know Snake's Revenge is the red-headed stepchild of MG games.  What can I say, it was pretty fun.  I must have finished it at least five times.

If I recall correctly, I rented it... and then purchased it.  And I purchased very few NES or SNES games.  I rented a ton of them, however.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 07:53:44 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 07:54:39 PM »

Quote from: only1 on November 27, 2006, 01:49:00 PM

I would definitely say go to MGS1.  It, by far, for me, has been one of the best games I've played.  MGS2 just wasnt that good, IMO ad I'm still working on MGS3...

+1.  I absolutely loved MGS 1, and MGS 2 was a Day one purchase for me.  For some reason, it just never grabbed me like the original did, and I only ended up getting about halfway through it before getting completely bored.  I even tried it again a year or so later to see if maybe it just didn't "click" with me the first time around, and came away with the same opinion.

I tried MSG3 when it first came out, but didn't really care for it either.  To be fair, however, it came smack in the middle of a glut of other games and I didn't really give it much of a chance.  I remember getting frustrated very early on and just never going back to it.  It's one I've been meaning to try again but just haven't gotten around to it.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 07:59:48 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 27, 2006, 07:54:39 PM

I tried MSG3 when it first came out, but didn't really care for it either.  To be fair, however, it came smack in the middle of a glut of other games and I didn't really give it much of a chance.  I remember getting frustrated very early on and just never going back to it.  It's one I've been meaning to try again but just haven't gotten around to it.

To echo what I said in the Resistance/GoW thread, MGS3 is yet another slow starter.  The tutorial section, which is pretty long, doesn't really do a very good job of explaining the new moves, controls, and equipment. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 09:23:11 PM »

I would definitely say go to MGS1.  It, by far, for me, has been one of the best games I've played.  MGS2 just wasnt that good, IMO ad I'm still working on MGS3..

+1.  I absolutely loved MGS 1, and MGS 2 was a Day one purchase for me.  For some reason, it just never grabbed me like the original did, and I only ended up getting about halfway through it before getting completely bored.  I even tried it again a year or so later to see if maybe it just didn't "click" with me the first time around, and came away with the same opinion.

My experience is very similar to Gratch's.  MGS on the PS1 is one of my favorite games of all time.  For whatever reason I despised Sons of Liberty and never gave Snake Eater a fair chance.  I still have it and maybe one day I will go back.  The long dialogue sequences seemed cool in MGS 1.  But for me they got old quickly in 2 and 3. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 09:31:12 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 27, 2006, 09:23:11 PM

I would definitely say go to MGS1.  It, by far, for me, has been one of the best games I've played.  MGS2 just wasnt that good, IMO ad I'm still working on MGS3..

My experience is very similar to Gratch's.  MGS on the PS1 is one of my favorite games of all time.  For whatever reason I despised Sons of Liberty and never gave Snake Eater a fair chance.  I still have it and maybe one day I will go back.  The long dialogue sequences seemed cool in MGS 1.  But for me they got old quickly in 2 and 3. 

Same way I feel, I blew through MGS1 and loved every minute of it... I've started MGS2 3 or 4 times and I can never get into it.  I've started MGS3 twice and never really got into it. 

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 04:55:56 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on November 27, 2006, 07:51:46 PM

Yeah, I know Snake's Revenge is the red-headed stepchild of MG games.  What can I say, it was pretty fun.  I must have finished it at least five times.

If I recall correctly, I rented it... and then purchased it.  And I purchased very few NES or SNES games.  I rented a ton of them, however.
Nice to know that I wasn't the only one that loved Snake's Revenge!

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 04:58:02 AM »

I'm pretty sure I liked Snake's Revenge as well but I think I was 14 or 15 when it came out and I wasn't really a very discerning gamer. 
warning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2006, 05:53:17 AM »

I liked the Gameboy Color Metal Gear Solid game.  Sadly, it gets little love.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2006, 06:09:11 AM »

Quote from: warning on November 28, 2006, 05:53:17 AM

I liked the Gameboy Color Metal Gear Solid game.  Sadly, it gets little love.

Metal Gear 2 for the MSX is *very* similar to the GBC game (which was very good stuff I agree). 
only1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2006, 07:26:19 AM »

my problem with MGS2 is, I swear, I found myself in a loop and can't get out of it.  lol.  It's where you have to wear an enemy soldiers uniform and carry an enemy rifle to get past the camera.  I think it's the middle section of the rig or whatever it is.  Well, I could NEVER find a rifle!  I think I killed off all the enemies and now can't get one of the rifles... maybe I'm just doing it wrong (probably) but after trying and trying and trying fro probably a week or two, it sucked the fun out of the game.  Up until that point I felt it was better than I had heard.

MGS3, like someone said, just came at a time when there was a buch of games being released that were good.  I remember even holding off on buying it just to get through other games.  I got stuck on an area, again, and just got into other stuff and never got the chance to go back.  Now that I'm having too much fun with Smackdown 2007, I doubt I'll play it anytime soon.

But just to illustrate the impact the series has had on this gamer, I'm waiting on buying a PS3 until the next game is out.  It gives Sony some time to work out the bugs, and it gives me my favorite game series as my first title on the new system.

"Beer- the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes little problems."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2006, 01:24:45 PM »

Quote from: only1 on November 28, 2006, 07:26:19 AM

my problem with MGS2 is, I swear, I found myself in a loop and can't get out of it.  lol.  It's where you have to wear an enemy soldiers uniform and carry an enemy rifle to get past the camera.  I think it's the middle section of the rig or whatever it is.  Well, I could NEVER find a rifle!  I think I killed off all the enemies and now can't get one of the rifles... maybe I'm just doing it wrong (probably) but after trying and trying and trying fro probably a week or two, it sucked the fun out of the game.  Up until that point I felt it was better than I had heard.

FWIW, you had to get the AK you needed from the armory. 
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2006, 04:34:35 AM »

Well .... I'll give EB a shout and see if they have any used copies of MGS1 for either the PS1, or the Cube remake.

How long is the game? Could you beat it in a week if you rented the game?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2006, 04:38:10 AM »

Quote from: Dafones on November 29, 2006, 04:34:35 AM

Well .... I'll give EB a shout and see if they have any used copies of MGS1 for either the PS1, or the Cube remake.

How long is the game? Could you beat it in a week if you rented the game?

Absolutely.  MGS1 is about probably about 8-12 hours depending.  MGS2 is a little longer and MGS3 is much longer. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2006, 12:08:54 PM »

Remeber though that's about 8-12 of gameplay. You can probably add another say...5 or so for cutscenes.  icon_biggrin I love MGS cutscenes.
unbreakable
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2006, 07:02:39 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 29, 2006, 12:08:54 PM

Remeber though that's about 8-12 of gameplay. You can probably add another say...5 or so for cutscenes.  icon_biggrin I love MGS cutscenes.

It took me over 24 real hours to beat MGS, but I take my time.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2006, 05:45:46 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on November 29, 2006, 07:02:39 PM

Quote from: ATB on November 29, 2006, 12:08:54 PM

Sounds like it's worth buying then, if I could find a reasonably priced copy.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2006, 01:12:05 PM »

I actually don't know how long it took me. I was doing the usual make fun of MGS for all of its cutscenes routine.

You can find them very cheap. I paid 5 or so dollars for my copy of MGS2 and about twice that for MGS both at EB/Gamespot.

Make sure you inspect the discs!  Also, in MGS2 (I think), you need a code to get the radio working. You can find it at gamefaqs if the copy you find doesn't include the original packaging.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2006, 01:31:37 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 30, 2006, 01:12:05 PM

I actually don't know how long it took me. I was doing the usual make fun of MGS for all of its cutscenes routine.

You can find them very cheap. I paid 5 or so dollars for my copy of MGS2 and about twice that for MGS both at EB/Gamespot.

Make sure you inspect the discs!  Also, in MGS2 (I think), you need a code to get the radio working. You can find it at gamefaqs if the copy you find doesn't include the original packaging.

It's MGS1 (and Twin Snakes) that you need the packaging for. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: