http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 10:00:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cool Article - Strategy related sort of  (Read 1563 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2006, 04:22:15 PM »

Remember a few months ago when Ron and Company were taking suggestions on cool ideas and stuff to do for the site here?

My suggesion was some sort of "Tom vs. Bruce" type ripoff thing where two people play games and write a quasi-AAR about it from their own perspective.

Well, I know quite a few of the readers here don't read the Bovine Front Page, and those guys don't really pimp too much of their stuff over here, so...

Link to Bovine Article

This is a link to something that Orpheo and Hiro have done along those lines with a Dawn of War game they played, and is exactly what I was talking about.  I realize alot of people could really care less, but if you are into the whole Tom vs. Bruce type of thing, check it out. They did a great job.

They even linked the replay of the game if you want to watch it (assuming, of course, you have Winter Assault installed).   biggrin

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 04:34:36 PM »

Heh. It is a good article! Hooray for BC pimpage!

PSN ID: EduardoX
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 04:46:10 PM »

There are some real exceptional writers at BC - really have a knack for making anything enjoyable reading.  

And that was an entertaining article biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 08:54:26 PM »

Wow, it's great to know you enjoyed it.

The replay though, isn't THAT great.  We definitely made it sound better than it actually was.  It's pretty sloppy (I made a whole lot of brain farts that I omitted from the article).

Just Hiro will do.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 09:18:37 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
Wow, it's great to know you enjoyed it.

The replay though, isn't THAT great.  We definitely made it sound better than it actually was.  It's pretty sloppy (I made a whole lot of brain farts that I omitted from the article).

So you actually sucked even more than it seemed?

NICE WORK BUDDY.

gellar
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 10:16:01 PM »

Those cow people dont like me..but i enjoyed the article  anyways so there!

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 10:24:01 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Those cow people dont like me..but i enjoyed the article  anyways so there!

Ok, terrific.

gellar
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 11:14:34 AM »

The concept is great of course-but I would much rather read an AAR about something more than just your run of the mill RTS.  I mean it's not exactly interesting stuff.  Give me WWII, or Civil War or Renaissance (a la EU2) any day.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 12:16:53 PM »

Quote from: "Canuck"
The concept is great of course-but I would much rather read an AAR about something more than just your run of the mill RTS.  I mean it's not exactly interesting stuff....

You mean it is not exactly interesting stuff to you.

And you calling Warhammer:Dawn of War a "run of the mill" RTS made me scratch my head.  Feel free to explain that if you wish.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 02:38:59 PM »

Your right it isn't interesting to me.  Where's the story?  You replace the entire game with Warcraft 3 and you'd have the exact same AAR.  And yes, it's a run of the mill RTS. Of course it's probably one of the best, but it's essentially the same as every other RTS out there.  You build up your forces, you go attack the other guy, maybe you rush maybe you don't.

Don't get me wrong I don't mean this as a swipe against the authors-like I said it's a fascinating concept and I wish I could get someone to play against me and do the same thing.  Only playing a game that has a little better background or story that you can relate to.

But hey what do I know.  I thought people who downloaded other peoples' Warcraft 3 matches and watched the replays were stupid.

These are the types of games that I like reading AAR's of:

Birth of America
Take Command
Combat Mission
Close Combat
Hearts of Iron
Europa Universalis
maybe even Civ 4

The writing itself also matters and this is a completely different topic altogether.  I've done a couple AAR's myself and believe me they are nothing special.  But I have read some absolutely amazing AAR's some gripping and others just comical.  I have to admit though today was the first time I ever read this in an AAR:

BAHAHAHAH! YEAH! EAT IT PUSSY. EAT IT. LOLOLOL. THAT WAS PURE OWNAGE.

*edit* Oh I just saw that you can actually download the replay of the game.  Now that's a surprise.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 03:30:31 PM »

Not to cross pimp too much, but you may want to take a look at CSL's post in our forums, Canuck.  It may be more to your liking.

gellar
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 04:04:44 PM »

Yes believe me I've been reading it.  It got me playing HOI again but I suck horribly.  I'm trying the Italy scenario just to get my combat skills down but I can't manage to successfully invate the Italian boot after taking over Sicily.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006, 04:58:01 PM »

I think I've worn out my wouldn't it be cool if someone started a site for that sort of thing joke.  I'll just link to the game stories page.

See if you can find any stories you enjoy here.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 11:18:01 PM »

Quote from: "Canuck"
Yes believe me I've been reading it.  It got me playing HOI again but I suck horribly.  I'm trying the Italy scenario just to get my combat skills down but I can't manage to successfully invate the Italian boot after taking over Sicily.

Not to be a total whore, but if you check out the front page, CSL has started up a new Doomsday AAR JUST FOR YOU.

Just Hiro will do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: