http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 11:16:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Controller Broken Angry  (Read 1265 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2006, 06:32:00 PM »

For the first time in my life I have raged so hard at a game that in the process of slamming the contoller down, I broke it.

PoP:TTT: Dual boss battle: Guy with the Axe & Guy with the Sword.

I spent close to 3 hours trying to beat this at about the 2 hr mark I threw my controller down so hard that it tore away from the quick rip on the cord.

I plugged it back in and the rumble pack is on full time now.  Into the trash it goes.

I had no life upgrades- in fact I didn't know there were any in the game until I read in a gamefaq guide (searching for tips on how to beat them).

I can imagine that if I had the 4 (FOUR!) life upgrades that I missed throughout the game, I could have taken them in 5 or so tries.  So mad.

I finally beat them and have moved on.

ATBs top 5 Angry Gaming Moments this generation: (I don't think there are any spoilers)

1. POP:TTT Dual Boss
2. BtVS: Hell level (could not get past the jumping puzzle)
3. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. I can't remember the specifics, but I kept dying at this one part and I remember being SUPER hot under the collar
4.Jade Empire: Final boss.  Didn't like the game to begin with but had to finish it to justify the $$$.  This frustration combined with his superattack or whatever it was made it just not worth it. Played the whole game with grand master on the fights...changed the final boss to easy.
5. Mercenaries: I took down the Ace of Spades, but clipping issues put him under the nuke pad so I couldn't retrieve him.  I tried the level 2 more times and then used GOD mode to get my rightfully earned (and pathetic) end cinematic.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 06:35:39 PM »

Welcome to the club!  I've broken three Xbox controllers as well as kicking a dreamcast and thus scratching the NFL 2k1 that was spinning inside.

Sometimes the rage just tells me to slam down my controller!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 07:16:05 PM »

I've never broken a controller due to anger.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 07:21:25 PM »

I don't break controllers; I break people.

Fucking Ryu's cheap little low short kicks and then a jump-punch followed by either a hadoken or shoryuken.

Hadoken THIS, BITCH.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 07:32:55 PM »

I came the closest to shattering my controller with the towers of pain in God of War. I don't recall ever screaming in fury at a game before. Thank you God of War.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 07:58:42 PM »

I tossed my DS after failing for the thousandth time against the second-to-last boss.  I tossed it on a couch, though.  Depward joked that if it were a PSP, it would have shattered  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 08:12:24 PM »

Ninja Gaiden had me cursing at the screen and hurling my controller to the ground.   Same goes for the last boss on FFX.    :x

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 08:21:05 PM »

I threw my controller against the coffeee table last weekend when fighting the last boss in DQ8. I went and did something else for a few hours because I was getting so irritated over it.
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 08:35:08 PM »

I go after the furniture when I get upset. I punched and broke a coffee table once playing FIFA on the Gamecube. Cheap IKEA thing. But punching the couch seems to be a fairly nondestructive way to vent.

For all the people who like to say violent video games cause violent behavior, I've never thrown more punches at my couch than when I played Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast. Sports games can anger me so. But it's strange. I never get that way when I play in real life. Something about the AI I guess.
Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 09:11:19 PM »

Heheheheh! This is a great subject!

Heroes of the pacific was my most annoying in recent memory.
I might be wrong on the exact number level that it was, but it went something like this.

Level 1: not much problem
Level 2: not much problem
Level 3: not much problem
Level 4: ...WTF?!?! Is this the last level? Because suddenly I'm getting my ass kicked insanely badly and this is the 3rd hour I've been playing this bloody level! Controller into couch! Controller into couch again! Much profanity, run downstairs and punch the punching bag until I'm out of energy......and then try again.
I did eventually pass it, and even finished the game, but damn! Talk about slanted difficulty. I was determined to even finish the game on hard with all the objectives and unlock everything(I'm a sucker for WWII flying games), I did surprise myself with how many of the levels I could later go back and (after too many repeated attempts) defeat, but I'd like to shake someone's hand that actually beat this game on hard and got all the unlockables.

Hopefully Blazing Angels is a little more forgiving, I mean Secret Weapons Over Normandy was definitely challenging, and my controller was quickly introduced to the couch several times , but at no time did I fear losing my sanity!

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 09:34:33 PM »

Ninja Gaiden is a good call.  Drove me batty at times.

Forza Motorsports.  On Hard.  With no driving aids.  Cars are equal... track was Tokyo.  FUCK YOU AI WHY CAN YOU NOT TAKE A HAIRPIN WITHOUT PLOWING INTO ME YAHAHRGHGHG.  It eventually made me shelve the game.

gellar
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 09:37:15 PM »

Just don't break your guitar after trying Bark at the Moon on hard - those things are expensive.  :wink:
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 07:21:40 AM »

Unreal Championship 2 for X-Box.

Great design, but aimbot AI is bad enough in UT2k4, and simply isn't appropriate for a console shooter like UC2.  Playing one of the lower tier matches against a group of AI bots at the default difficulty, and they're ungodly accurate.  Most online competition feels easier to me than these bots.  Death after death.  So I sent the controller across the room and hard into the ground.  Now I only have one X-Box controller.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: