http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 02:18:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contact [DS] Impressions  (Read 3486 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2006, 10:28:22 PM »

I'm about 3 hours in and I'm loving this game.  I think it'll be very hit or miss for those who purchase it.  The reasons why I enjoy it are:

-The humor.  I mean Mochi is a "space dog" that wants to be a "space cat."  Wtf!
-The whole you being a part of the game.  "Hey!  Something poked me!  Do that again!"
-Stats - they are a WHOLE lot of stats that update constantly
-Graphics - I like how the Professor and his room look all 8-bit while everything else has a very nice look to it

I'm just enjoying it very much.  It's definately a game I can pick up and play for awhile.  Anyone else pick it up?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 10:34:47 PM »

I'm at the first boss and I keep getting thrashed.
On my most recent attempt I jacked my health way up by eating bbq and still no good.
Guess I'll have to do some more grinding.

This game is almost like the anti-Enchanted Arms, meaning it gives you fairly little info on what stuff does. This is one of the rare games these days where you actually need the booklet to see what stuff does (like the stats).

Edit: managed to find a strategy that worked and squeaked by with 25hp left (started with 254)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 11:11:04 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 12:25:38 AM »

I honestly love this game so far..it's about time to have a decent RPG.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 02:15:07 AM »

I picked it up today, but haven't gotten much of a chance to play other than answering the initial questions.  I will post more when I have played more.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 02:28:40 AM »

This seems like one of those games that leaves you lots of stuff that you have to come back and do, for better or worse.

I have some odd nitpicks about it, such as the time to save a game is the longest I've seen in a DS game by far.
And I'm trying to get this dude to follow me at the moment and it's a royal pain.

Graphics are really remarkable at times.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 02:48:12 AM »

Bought it yesterday but don't know when I'll get around to playing it.  Slate is pretty full right now. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 02:48:51 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 21, 2006, 10:34:47 PM

I'm at the first boss and I keep getting thrashed.

yep, that's just where i am smile ...

there's lots to enjoy, but definitely a few things not so enjoyable, about the game so far. up til now, anyway, i'd been having a great time, but the difficulty level ratchets up dramatically (&, for me, very unexpectedly) with the first boss...

really like the graphic/musical presentation. the different art styles of the 2 screens is very cool (damn tricky keeping up with some of the peripheral stuff going on on the top screen while your playing). the controls've been satisfactory for the most part, tho i've gotten stuck being unable to attack when surrounded in narrow corridors a couple times & have had to reboot...

still giving it the benefit of the doubt right now, but if it does indeed begin looking like a massive grindfest, that just might change things...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 04:02:17 PM »

Okay, I've given it some time and have some initial impressions.  I am finding the game somewhat difficult as I've died quite a few times.  It took me a number of times to beat the Lester dude in the ruins and finally could only do it by having a bunch of herbs.  Then, when I got to the first boss, I didn't have enough herbs to make it through it.  Between the boss' siphon thing and that earth shake thing is guaranteed damage.  I managed to dodge the siphon thing a couple of times, but I am not sure how I was doing it.

So far the game certainly is cute, but I am fairly wary of guys that I die a lot during the beginning (I'm looking at you Ninja Gaiden).  The complaints I have seen about the combat system in reviews don't bother me at all.  I think there is a great deal to the game that I haven't picked up on yet, like which types of weapons do better damage to what types of enemies and such.  Overall, I am enjoying it and I just paused after dying to that boss to write this up and then go back after the boss, so it must have its hooks in me on some level.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 04:17:21 PM »

You had to reboot? That's odd. I haven't had any technical problems at all, aside from decals being mildly troublesome at times and having to work a little too hard to use some objects like beds. Don't forget you can switch targets with (L).

As I said, I did figure out how to make it past the boss with a specific strategy. I've made it a bit further since then and the story is starting to become more intriguing. I've also learned to make some new recipes, and I'm enjoying that side aspect so far. I really like the music in the game quite a bit. Reminds me of Phoenix Wright at times. There's a lovely visual with parallax scrolling shortly after that boss fight, too.

If you want to know how I beat the boss, here you go:

Spoiler for Hiden:
First off, make sure your tech bar is full before you go in. I beat him wearing the aqua shot outfit. Next, you want to get your health up. I did this with three mystery bbq (just cook up mystery meat) which should get your health up into the 250 range. Equip your best blunt weapon--for me this was a club, but if you haven't found that you could buy a bat. Once the fight begins, save your aqua shot until the end. Beat on the two fists without using your techs. Don't forget you can switch back and forth with (L) if you like. If you're able to avoid a few of those fists, you should be ok.

The last part of the fight (once both fists are gone) is the worst, because of unavoidable attacks that heal the beastie to boot. Unload your aqua shot 5 times for nice damage then hang on until the end. Note that for some reason you'll have to hit B to have terry start fighting again for this last phase.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 07:14:50 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 22, 2006, 04:17:21 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
First off, make sure your tech bar is full before you go in. I beat him wearing the aqua shot outfit. Next, you want to get your health up. I did this with three mystery bbq (just cook up mystery meat) which should get your health up into the 250 range. Equip your best blunt weapon--for me this was a club, but if you haven't found that you could buy a bat. Once the fight begins, save your aqua shot until the end. Beat on the two fists without using your techs. Don't forget you can switch back and forth with (L) if you like. If you're able to avoid a few of those fists, you should be ok.

The last part of the fight (once both fists are gone) is the worst, because of unavoidable attacks that heal the beastie to boot. Unload your aqua shot 5 times for nice damage then hang on until the end. Note that for some reason you'll have to hit B to have terry start fighting again for this last phase.

Right after I posted, I beat the boss using exactly what you had outlined minus the cooking, because I didn't visit that island before coming to the ruins.  Thanks for posting it, though, because it might help others.  I even wore the same outfit that you specified and did the techs the same way.  I guess maybe this is the best way to beat it?  Anyway, I am on the cooking island now, so I can do that part before going onto the next island, since I guess cooking might be important.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 08:02:05 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 22, 2006, 04:17:21 PM

You had to reboot? That's odd.

yeah, it was smile . didn't know about the 'l button' thing, will try that next time. i'd be in a narrow area, with an enemy on either side, & i couldn't shove them away, & wouldn't/couldn't attack them, no matter how i'd turn...

just beat the boss as well, with basically the same technique:

Spoiler for Hiden:
except for the earthquakes, avoid damage destroying the fists, then unload techs & whacking away (i used the cloud sword) - still kinda nasty (especially those damn lock-on health-suckers), &, as grue points out, it doesn't bode too well for what lies ahead...

i'm listening to the menu music as i type, & it is indeed very good. as i said, lots to like about the game, & well worth checking out, imo - just don't expect a cakewalk, i guess?...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 08:15:56 PM »

I had the same thought, that I was concerned about the difficulty curve. However, it should be noted for those who haven't tried it thhat there is no penalty for getting thrashed that I have noticed, other than winding up back in Terry's room. Now, later on that could be a huge hassle I guess, but it hasn't been too big of a deal so far.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 08:37:33 PM »

A little bit farther past that boss at that island that everyone has outlined.  He was pretty easy for me, due to my grinding a little bit and cooking a boatload.  Yes, it's QUITE important that you visit the Cooking Island before embarking on that cell finding quest.

So, why was this boss somewhat easy for me?  Well... the Mochi stamp.  Yeah, it can deal some massive damage!  Do you ever wonder why after saving you get some time to play with Mochi?  Well, the more you play... the more smiley faces you get from him... the higher the attack with the Mochi stamp!

The best way of getting those smileys:
Spoiler for Hiden:
The best way of getting those smilies is by making Mochi go on his back (by sliding your stylus gently across him).  He'll then give you a big smilie.  Then start poking his tummy and watch those smilies fly!

I'm really digging the game.  The whole "grindfest" thing isn't bothering me much, because it's on a handheld.  And I have no problem doing that on a handheld while watching football or hockey or something.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 09:07:47 PM »

whoah whoah whoah....

You mean you got Mochi to DO something other than lick himself then run off?! I'm stunned. Seriously.

Rofl 

I had no idea

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 09:51:27 PM »

Quote from: depward on October 22, 2006, 08:37:33 PM

So, why was this boss somewhat easy for me?  Well... the Mochi stamp.  Yeah, it can deal some massive damage!  Do you ever wonder why after saving you get some time to play with Mochi?  Well, the more you play... the more smiley faces you get from him... the higher the attack with the Mochi stamp!

i knew about that, & had found his 'sweet spot', but never thought to try using the stamp (d'oh!)...

btw, after i posted previously, i got stuck again within 5 minutes - chatted up the woman in the town square who was by the well, & she & i became stuck together (!) between the well & the wall to the south. could not break away & rebooted...

depward

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 11:01:43 PM »

I've been stuck one.  Thankfully, I had a "return to ship" stamp and used that.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 11:09:50 PM »

"oh, murakami... you and your post-modern fever dreams."

having read everything he's ever written (just finished the new collection of short stories), that line from the professor just made my day - okay, i'm hooked smile ...

(quote edited for exactness' sake)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 01:16:44 AM by semiconscious » Logged

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 11:22:15 PM »

Stamps, once you use them you can't use them again the game said, so how often do you get replacements, like the Mochi stamp?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 11:48:29 PM »

Go back and visit the Professor and he'll replenish your stamps.

weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2006, 01:31:03 AM »

i'm happy that there is some challenge to this game, my only complaint is I cant seem to decide between using the stylus or the d-pad..it just seems uncomfortable each way depending on what you are doing. 

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2006, 05:33:45 AM »

Searching for secret passages I use the stylus, its much easier. rest of the game, D-pad.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2006, 04:29:35 PM »

I'm about 8 1/2 hours in, now.
I hit what seems to be the next big encounter (not sure "fight" is the right word--this is at Ft. Eagle btw) but had absolutely no clue what was happening.

Is anyone else really missing the lack of any kind of map function?

Funniest line I've seen:
Professor "I wish a base like this belonged to us."
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 04:53:13 PM by Misguided » Logged

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2006, 10:30:37 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 23, 2006, 04:29:35 PM

I'm about 8 1/2 hours in, now.
I hit what seems to be the next big encounter (not sure "fight" is the right word--this is at Ft. Eagle btw) but had absolutely no clue what was happening.

Is anyone else really missing the lack of any kind of map function?

Funniest line I've seen:
Professor "I wish a base like this belonged to us."

right where i am, again. hint:

Spoiler for Hiden:
pushing the plus & minus signs distracts the guys on the top screen who change the colors & send in the re-enforcements...

as far as maps, it'd be nice, but the areas aren't so large (yet) that it's a problem for me. i did get a map/guidebook of the ruins for completing a side-quest, but haven't figured out how to use it (or even if i can use it)...

the murakami line's still my favorite. found this excerpt from a shacknews interview with tomm hulett, who headed the localization team:

"Shack: Presumably, Shigesato Itoi's Mother (Earthbound) series had some influence on Contact. The visual cues are immediately apparent, but are there any other meaningful connections in terms of overall aesthetics or atmosphere?

"Tomm Hulett: I assure you that Shigesato Itoi's mom had nothing to do with Contact's development. I don't see her name in the credits, anyway. However, Itoi's friend Haruki Murakami did write a number of novels I was reading over the course of Contact's localization. This came in handy since the game itself has kind of a Japanese post-modernism vibe going on. Also, a lot of people have pointed out that the Professor's lab on the Top Screen resembles Super NES cult-classic, EarthBound. It certainly looks like it was drawn on for inspiration, but the games aren't connected in any way, though they do deal with similar themes..."

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2006, 11:11:53 PM »

My only real complaint right now is that I die a great deal.  Now, when you die, you keep everything you earned, but I am faced with a decision to go back to my last save (which I guess I have to turn off the game to do because there isn't any Load screen that I can find other than when you first boot up the game) or run all the way back to try to get where I was, but still fight all the same enemies and everything since they respawn if you leave the room.  Since a lot of the combat is just dice rolls I find that I never want to load up my last save since I am pretty sure I wouldn't make it through.

For instance, at Ft. Eagle, I have died numerous places in the complex but before the next save.  So, I could just start back in the cabin, I guess, by turning off the game, but I am not very likely to make it through.  So, I start back at the boat, work through the forest, get into the base and I make it to the next save spot, but I die further in.  Now, I could start at the last save point, but I probably won't make it again, either.  So, I start back at the boat, work through the forest, work through all the complex that I have done so far, etc., etc., on and on.  Just a wee bit annoying.

Is there some mechanic here that I am missing?  Am I making this harder on myself than it has to be?

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 02:15:45 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 23, 2006, 11:11:53 PM

Is there some mechanic here that I am missing?  Am I making this harder on myself than it has to be?

i don't think so...

Spoiler for Hiden:
i'm not sure why there isn't a tub at the cabin - it seems like there should be. & i ran right past the save spot / tub in the fort multiple times - it was only after losing the boss battle the first time that i finally, on returning, found it... & the airport...

initially, when i'd die, i'd reboot, but eventually i realized this was pretty self-defeating - you can't keep throwing away what you've accumulated (stats as well as stuff). contact's pretty 'uneven', & a bit unforgiving, compared to most action rpgs - going to it from something more traditionally slick & smooth like summon night & devil summoner, as i did, really makes that obvious. for me, anyway, it's required quite a bit of backtracking, mad dashes, & stumbling across better weapons. i'd describe the game as half-assed, but in a good way, but that doesn't sound too good smile . it's a lot like killer 7 in that, if you're not sucked into the gameworld & story, i'm not sure that the gameplay alone justifies continuing very far...

my question to anyone who's defeated the ft eagle boss:

Spoiler for Hiden:
when you fought lester, did he just stand there & let you thrash him without ever hitting you back? cuz that's what happened when i fought him...

weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2006, 02:28:56 AM »

i've also noticed that some enemies can run faster than you, and just because you leave the area doesn't mean they aren't going to follow.  Definitely has some meat on this game (as well as cooking meat!)

I'm also confused about cooking.  Everything I cook gets burnt, though I did buy a recipe for potions..is it trial/error or do you wait for recipes?

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
depward

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 02:38:30 AM »

Trial and error.  I occassionally burn the meat I cook, but only about 25% or so of the time.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2006, 02:48:24 AM »

As your skill increases, you'll burn stuff less.
Buy the potion recipe, then you can buy bottles from the shop outside Ft Eagle then go back to the ruins where you can get the water (well) and herbs (shop).

Re: the fight with the guy that doesn't fight back: No that didn't happen to me, but did happen with one other (non-important) critter. Coincidentally, perhaps, I switched weapons mid fight.

Re: getting killed in the base. That's interesting, because for the most part the stuff in the base hasn't been too big of a threat. I did come in with a stack of about 20 potions, though. Check out the area behind the base before going in. There's a fight there that can be a bit sticky (have your transformation sticker handy), but has a great reward that has been a big help inside the base.

Re: the boss fight
Spoiler for Hiden:
I was trying to push the plus and minus buttons, but had no real rhyme or reason to it. I only managed to target the thing once and didn't seem to do much damage to it. I have the feeling the color changes are important somehow, but it was all kind of overwhelming when it first happened.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2006, 03:43:27 AM »

Those at Ft. Eagle -

Have you leveled your water magic yet?  The second water spell you learn is Spirit - an HP regeneration spell.  It takes two EP to cast.  I was able to march through the base without using a single potion by just going through, gaining EP from enemies, and using Spirit.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2006, 10:56:29 AM »

I used aquashot a fair bit, but apparently havent leveled it high enough, because I haven't gotten that power yet. It sounds great! I'm loving the first air ability, though. The first earth power left me a little flat.

I wonder how bonuses to magic from items affect learning new skills. I have a staff that adds +10 to all schools. I assume it goes off the base value.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2006, 12:10:30 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 24, 2006, 10:56:29 AM

I used aquashot a fair bit, but apparently havent leveled it high enough, because I haven't gotten that power yet.

Same here.  I always have the blue suit equipped, but I guess I haven't used the water power enough to get that ability.

Poomba
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2006, 01:24:22 PM »

So would all of you recommend this game? I've been following its development and have been looking forward to a decent RPG for the DS. I'm torn between this and Clubhouse Games for my next gaming fix. I think in the long run, Contact will provide a more satisfying experience from what I am reading here.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2006, 02:02:29 PM »

Quote from: Poomba on October 24, 2006, 01:24:22 PM

So would all of you recommend this game? I've been following its development and have been looking forward to a decent RPG for the DS. I'm torn between this and Clubhouse Games for my next gaming fix. I think in the long run, Contact will provide a more satisfying experience from what I am reading here.

I've played both, and they're both excellent games, but Contact will definitely last longer and has more meat on its bones.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2006, 02:25:17 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 24, 2006, 02:02:29 PM

I've played both, and they're both excellent games, but Contact will definitely last longer and has more meat on its bones.

Contact, a game which people say takes 10 hours to beat will last longer than Clubhouse Games, a game which has 43 games that you can play over and over and has online multiplayer?  I mean, I like Contact and all, but as far as longevity goes, I think Clubhouse Games has Contact beat.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2006, 03:05:05 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 24, 2006, 02:25:17 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 24, 2006, 02:02:29 PM

Contact, a game which people say takes 10 hours to beat will last longer than Clubhouse Games, a game which has 43 games that you can play over and over and has online multiplayer?  I mean, I like Contact and all, but as far as longevity goes, I think Clubhouse Games has Contact beat.

Yeah, if you're looking at the numbers, but for amount of time you'll actually play it and for what you get out of it, I still think Contact will get more play time from me (and I cranked through Clubhouse Games' Stamp Mode for a week).  Again, if you can, get both, but Contact will last a longer haul.  Also, CG's multiplayer mode is kind of a pain.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2006, 03:17:08 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 24, 2006, 12:10:30 PM

Quote from: Misguided on October 24, 2006, 10:56:29 AM

I used aquashot a fair bit, but apparently havent leveled it high enough, because I haven't gotten that power yet.

Same here.  I always have the blue suit equipped, but I guess I haven't used the water power enough to get that ability.

I spent some time walking around as the water nun and using the tech, then I got my second tech, but it was an increase in intelligence, not the health one mentioned.  Must be something about play-style.  Cool, but I want that health power.

Quick Question:
Spoiler for Hiden:
In the very first cave at the beginning, when you walk in if you hug the right wall, you can just glimpse a chest.  How do I get there?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 03:38:12 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2006, 03:39:20 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 24, 2006, 03:17:08 PM

I spent some time walking around as the water nun and using the tech, then I got my second tech, but it was an increase in intelligence, not the health one mentioned.  Must be something about play-style.  Cool, but I want that health power.

You know, I think I remember getting that Intelligence power as well.  Maybe the heal one is a third power?

depward

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2006, 04:22:28 PM »

Let me check that... I THINK I received the healing power when I hit level 21 for Water.  But it really is quite a cool spell.

AH!  It IS the third powerup!  Doh!  It's well worth it though - just keep on pumping out that water spell until you can receive Spirit.

I'm loving the game.  Sure, it's a grindfest... but I'm cool with grinding it out on the public train every day, or while watching television...

I also like leveling up all three of the weapon types evenly.  Fun stuff!

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2006, 11:17:13 PM »

Grrr.okay, the game is starting to piss me off.  I have tried to make it about 5 times through Ft. Eagle and I keep dying.  I finally got to what I assume is the end boss this time, but I died.  At least in the ruins there was a way to open up a shortcut, but I haven't seen such a thing in Ft. Eagle, so once again, I have to make it all the way through.  I brought 10 potions with me and it wasn't enough.  I may give up on this one if it continues to be like this.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2006, 02:02:19 AM »

6th time was apparently the charm, but man that was annoying.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: