http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 04:15:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consoles on LCD  (Read 3237 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2005, 01:23:00 AM »

Hello!! I finally got an LCD-well, I finally ordered one, and it should be here in about 10 days or so. Anyways, I was thinking about playing games on it and was realizing that I play my consoles on an old TV-its about 8 years old, slightly curved, decent color, poor sound, but reliable old TV. Its either 23 or 25 inches, and it does the job. But I was thinking that since I now have a 20.1 inch widescreen coming in that everything would look sharper and better and all that on the LCD. So, a few questions-first do you guys think that is correct-that console stuff would look better on the LCD? Second-how the heck do you run the consoles off the LCD? Thanks guys!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 02:16:41 AM »

Did you by chance get the Dell FPW2005?  Picked one up myself a month ago.  Great monitor.

Shouldn't be a problem- the monitor comes with S-Video and Composite video inputs.  And when you get a next gen console that supports DVI or HDMI out it also comes with a second DVI input so you should be all set!

I don't have my consoles hooked up to my monitor (I have a dedicated HDTV for them) but I imagine they will look much nicer though there is a chance the clarity of the monitor will bring out all of the image flaws that a conventional TV is designed to hide.  Next-gen hi def games are guaranteed to look great on it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 05:28:37 AM »

I disagree. The 2005FPW isn't High-Def IIRC... it uses the digital DVI, whereas TVs use the analog signal.

It *is* an awesome monitor though... god I love being able to read forums in Portrait view. smile

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 05:54:03 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"
I disagree. The 2005FPW isn't High-Def IIRC... it uses the digital DVI, whereas TVs use the analog signal.

Really?  I can ouput from my video card right into both my TV and monitor via DVI.  The same doesn't hold with another device using DVI?  

While I've never tried it myself I've read numerous reports of people using their 2005FPW as an HDTV.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 05:54:44 AM »

Yes, I got the Dell. I waited at least 4 months for the good deal, seriously every other day I looked for it, and finally a few days ago I found it. I cannot even tell you how psyched I am. Looks like it will ship tomorrow if all goes well, and might be here by Friday. In time for FEAR, Call of Duty 2, a nice Half Life 2 replay in native widescreen, and some console love on my new LCD. Thats awesome.

THanks for the help guys, I didn't know it would be that easy. Can I run it through a switchbox like I do now for the TV?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 06:02:18 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"

Yes, I got the Dell. I waited at least 4 months for the good deal, seriously every other day I looked for it, and finally a few days ago I found it. I cannot even tell you how psyched I am. Looks like it will ship tomorrow if all goes well, and might be here by Friday. In time for FEAR, Call of Duty 2, a nice Half Life 2 replay in native widescreen, and some console love on my new LCD. Thats awesome.

Yeah, I checked for deals every day for three weeks before getting a good enough deal with the time constraint I had.  Ended up getting it for $500 with free shipping but I know that sometimes a super deal can take it as low as $400.  How much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

THanks for the help guys, I didn't know it would be that easy. Can I run it through a switchbox like I do now for the TV?
'

If I undersand what you're saying, you would have a switchbox setup to alternate the consoles output between the TV and monitor, right?  If so, then a switchbox should work fine for the S-Video and composite connections.  Theoretically it should work for DVI/HDMI too but I haven't seen a switchbox with those connections on anything cheaper than $150 or so.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 06:06:03 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Yeah, I checked for deals every day for three weeks before getting a good enough deal with the time constraint I had.  Ended up getting it for $500 with free shipping but I know that sometimes a super deal can take it as low as $400.  How much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

'

If I undersand what you're saying, you would have a switchbox setup to alternate the consoles output between the TV and monitor, right?  If so, then a switchbox should work fine for the S-Video and composite connections.  Theoretically it should work for DVI/HDMI too but I haven't seen a switchbox with those connections on anything cheaper than $150 or so.

Ok, number 1:
I would like to both switch between monitor/tv and also have my consoles selectable through the switcher-perhaps I need two switchers? Or maybe I am just going to have to move the main input from monitor to tv when I want to do that. Either way I will know soon.

Number 2:
I seriously have waited for about 4 months now. I saw several 500 deals, but it was just a tad more than I could pay. About two days ago a deal for 389$ or so came up-with shipping it ended up being 392$ I think-which is seriously like a gift from heaven at that price! smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 06:50:12 AM »

Wow, that's an awesome price.  Wish I could have held out as long as you but I was forced to ditch my old monitor on relatively short notice.  

As far as the switching- The inputs are selectable via the press of a button on the front of the monitor.  So you should be able to hook up your TV and PC simulataneously with no additional equipment required.  

So just plug your consoles into one S-Video switcher with the switcher output going into the monitor and you should be good to go.  Again with the caveat in theory since I haven't used the other connections myself.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 03:16:37 PM »

Typing on a 2005 (on my mac) as we speak, but I actually just bought Gateway's new 21 incher for my PC. The reason I went with the Gateway was because of the component input, as I'm planning ahead for a console purchase. I'm using the DVI port for my PC.

Regardless you got a great price on the 2005 and I think you'll be happy with it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 03:19:16 PM »

Shouldn't be a problem- the monitor comes with S-Video and Composite video inputs.  And when you get a next gen console that supports DVI or HDMI out it also comes with a second DVI input so you should be all set!

Since when? Mine doesn't have a second DVI, nor does Dell's website mention it. If it had one, I would have gotten a second one.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 03:38:54 PM »

I have the Dell 2005 as well.  Through composite connections, the PS2 looked like crap on it.  I haven't tried to configure the consoles for DVI input though, or trying to find adapters for it.  I think a 720p signal through the monitor wouldn't look great either, as it wouldn't fill the screen, or be stretched.

The other part, is that LCDs really don't do well with fast moving things, like console games (sports, racing, etc.)  The 2005 is okay for games, and I play Half Life 2 on it, but you can tell when you move around to fast.  

For games like WoW, or Total War Rome though, its awesome.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 04:05:13 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"

Since when? Mine doesn't have a second DVI, nor does Dell's website mention it. If it had one, I would have gotten a second one.

You're right.  For some reason I was thinking Dual DVI but I just looked and I was mistaken.  

Shouldn't be an issue until the PS3 hits though.  Unless they've changed their stance, MS isn't supporting HDMI/DVI on the 360 initially.  HD is supposedly via component connection only.  

Quote from: "Scott"
I think a 720p signal through the monitor wouldn't look great either, as it wouldn't fill the screen, or be stretched.

The other part, is that LCDs really don't do well with fast moving things, like console games (sports, racing, etc.) The 2005 is okay for games, and I play Half Life 2 on it, but you can tell when you move around to fast.

720p should only be an issue with the current Xbox and 720p support is still pretty rare to boot.  Both 360 and PS3 are supposed to internally upconvert to 1080i though which should make a big difference on the 2005.  

I've sampled quite a few FPS games on the 2005 and have yet to see any sort of motion blur or trails.  Seems to be one of those issues that some people notice and others don't.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 04:06:23 PM »

720p should only be an issue with the current Xbox and 720p support is still pretty rare to boot. Both 360 and PS3 are supposed to internally upconvert to 1080i though which should make a big difference on the 2005.

PS3 will do 1080p as well.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 04:08:17 PM »

Both 360 and PS3 are supposed to internally upconvert to 1080i though which should make a big difference on the 2005.

But the 2005 doesn't support 1080i, it doesn't have the resolution needed for it.  How will it handle a 1080i signal?

PS3 will do 1080p as well.

And all 10 people with TVs and monitors that can display 1080p, will love it I'm sure smile.

---
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 04:09:48 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
PS3 will do 1080p as well.  smile

Yeah but I suspect that 1080p will only be in "supported games" which is likely to be pretty few.  Its a nice bullet point for Sony but I don't expect many devs to spend the extra time coding for the tiny percentage of HDTV owners that own a 1080p set.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2005, 04:22:50 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

Huh?  What does that have to do with anything?  "HD" content can be delivered both via component (i.e. Analog) and DVI/HDMI (Digital)
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2005, 04:25:07 PM »

PS3 will do 1080p as well.

And all 10 people with TVs and monitors that can display 1080p, will love it I'm sure smile.

*AHEM*

biggrin

Actually, a monitor that can display 1920x1080p isn't *that* rare.  Now, one meant for the living room?  Yeah, that's a bit harder to find.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2005, 04:44:53 PM »

But the 2005 doesn't support 1080i, it doesn't have the resolution needed for it.  How will it handle a 1080i signal?

The 2005 supports 1920x1080 it just isn't its native res.  The Dell is excellent at scaling and I don't really see any distortion or blurring if I take my monitor to that resoution.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2005, 05:01:34 PM »

The 2005 supports 1920x1080 it just isn't its native res. The Dell is excellent at scaling and I don't really see any distortion or blurring if I take my monitor to that resoution.

1680 x 1050 is the default, isn't it?  I haven't ever tried doing more on it, as there doesn't seem to be any point for computer applications.  At 1920 by 1080, you'll then have a widescreen image on your monitor, right?

The 2005 supports DVI, so that won't work with the XBox 360 HDMI connection, or a bunch of others?  Sorry I'm slow today, cold medicine smile.

---
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2005, 05:38:39 PM »

1680 x 1050 is the default, isn't it?  I haven't ever tried doing more on it, as there doesn't seem to be any point for computer applications.  At 1920 by 1080, you'll then have a widescreen image on your monitor, right?

The 2005 supports DVI, so that won't work with the XBox 360 HDMI connection, or a bunch of others?  Sorry I'm slow today, cold medicine smile.

Yeah 1680x1050 is the default but it will support up to 1920x1080 (or at least it does with my Geforce 6600GT).  As for widescreen- both 1650x1050 and 1920x1080 are widescreen resolutions- the former is 16:10 and the latter 16:9 which is a pretty subtle distinction.  

As for DVI and HDMI, if the 360 has a HDMI connection (and my understanding is that it will not initially) HDMI/DVI adapters can be had for $30 and under.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2005, 06:19:12 PM »

Ok so, aside from this thread going in a direction I never ever foresaw  :wink: , is the consensus that maybe I should get some component cables if I am going to try to connect my consoles to the LCD to improve image quality? Scott, how many games have you played on your LCD, and was the difference really that noticeable (console wise-I am comfortable with how PC games look on most LCDs).
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 06:48:01 PM »

The Dell doesn't have component connections and I doubt component/DVI adapters even exist.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2005, 07:15:39 PM »

The Dell doesn't have component connections and I doubt component/DVI adapters even exist.

Hmm ok. Well Kevin, I guess we will find out how I think consoles look on an LCD in 5-7 days, and I will report back to you smile
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2005, 07:21:15 PM »

component/DVI adapters even exist.

I *think* they do, but last time I looked they were pretty expensive.

Scott, how many games have you played on your LCD, and was the difference really that noticeable (console wise-I am comfortable with how PC games look on most LCDs).

It is probably the same as PC games, if you're fine with that, you'll be content with the console games I think.  I'm perfectly happy with the monitor.  I do notice some of the inherit LCD issues, but they aren't bad, and I like the widescreen and size of the monitor.  Don't think I'm being overly harsh.  I like the monitor.

When I tried the PS2, it was through a composite hookup, so that handicapped it a bit.  Plus, I noticed even more problems with the PS2's graphic abilities on a higher resolution device, then the 20" old Sony I was using.  I was used to seeing HL2 running at 1680x1050, then the PS2 came on, and it was a big difference.

With all that said though, I'm not sure I'd buy an LCD for a pure console gaming device.  There are enough differences between the LCD and other formats, that I think it'd be bug me.  Then again, its a good deal for the 2005, so it is hard to complain to much.

---
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2005, 07:25:34 PM »

What you may end up wanting to do is get something like this
http://www.x2vga.com/

Then you can use the dvi connection for your computer.
*shrug* I don't know.

I'm sure you'll figure it out and congrats on getting a great monitor.

Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2005, 09:07:23 PM »

I had an X2VGA and my xbox connected to my 2005FPW for all of about 5 minutes. Halo 2 (480p) looked like crap being stretched to fit the screen. 720p shouldn't look nearly as bad, but I didn't have any 720p games at the time and have since sold my X2VGA to my brother and got a 26" HDTV to play on.

That said for the 360 MS will be selling a first party VGA cable for it, so no need for an expensive 3rd party one.

PC games look nice on the 2005 though... King Kong looked awesome running in 1680x1050.

-Tony
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2005, 02:29:23 PM »

The other part, is that LCDs really don't do well with fast moving things, like console games (sports, racing, etc.)  The 2005 is okay for games, and I play Half Life 2 on it, but you can tell when you move around to fast.  

For games like WoW, or Total War Rome though, its awesome.

Never had a problem with response... it's an 11ms avg response time.
That works out an average response time that keeps up with ~90FPS. (1000 / 11) I'm using the DVI connection.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2005, 02:42:02 PM »

Just an FYI for anyone looking to get a LCD, check out gotapex.com

They have a Dell deal listed for the 2005FPW for $39435 (which is what I got mine for a few months back) and the 2405FPW 24" for 779.35.

-Tony
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2005, 09:31:32 PM »

Quote from: "Mystic95Z"
Just an FYI for anyone looking to get a LCD, check out gotapex.com

They have a Dell deal listed for the 2005FPW for $39435 (which is what I got mine for a few months back) and the 2405FPW 24" for 779.35.

-Tony

Shit, I apologize guys, this was the deal I got. I thought I had posted it in another thread but it looks like I either forgot or I am just crazy. My apologies. Jump on this great deal now. If I had had the cash, I would have gotten the 24" in a heartbeat smile Still, I think I will be ok with only my 20.1" widescreen!!!!!

Oh yeah-it arrives tomorrow!!!!!  :  retard
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2005, 09:31:56 PM »

I had an X2VGA and my xbox connected to my 2005FPW for all of about 5 minutes. Halo 2 (480p) looked like crap being stretched to fit the screen. 720p shouldn't look nearly as bad, but I didn't have any 720p games at the time and have since sold my X2VGA to my brother and got a 26" HDTV to play on.

That said for the 360 MS will be selling a first party VGA cable for it, so no need for an expensive 3rd party one.

PC games look nice on the 2005 though... King Kong looked awesome running in 1680x1050.

-Tony

Hey man, let me ask you a quick question. Why would Halo2 stretch to fit the widescreen? It works fine on widescreen tvs.

Thanks.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2005, 09:37:25 PM »

Why would Halo2 stretch to fit the widescreen? It works fine on widescreen tvs.

Because it is only a 480p game I think, so 640x480 or something, trying to fill 1680x1050...  Anyway, showing it on a higher res monitor probably exagerrated every jaggy, and other issues, as opposed to normal TVs.

---
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2005, 10:06:19 PM »

Because it is only a 480p game I think, so 640x480 or something, trying to fill 1680x1050...  Anyway, showing it on a higher res monitor probably exagerrated every jaggy, and other issues, as opposed to normal TVs.

Oh of course Scott, I forgot about that. Could you explain to me how the..."high def" games work? What resolution are they at? Will they look better on the LCD? I dont really mind continuing to play on my shitty tv, but I wouldn't mind using the LCD either smile

TOMORROW!
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2005, 10:44:29 PM »

Because Halo2 and most games on the XBOX for that matter run in 480i or 480p which is 640x480 and with an LCD you can either let it (the lcd) stretch the image to fit the screen or play it in a native 640x480 "window". Halo 2 looked much better on my 19" CRT using the x2vga than the 2005 & it also looks better on my new 26" Toshiba HDTV.

-Tony
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2005, 10:45:34 PM »

Yes when stretched it was very jaggy and blocky...
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2005, 10:49:12 PM »

Oh of course Scott, I forgot about that. Could you explain to me how the..."high def" games work? What resolution are they at? Will they look better on the LCD? I dont really mind continuing to play on my shitty tv, but I wouldn't mind using the LCD either smile

TOMORROW!

720p games run in 1280x720 and I believe 1080i runs at 1900x1080. And I'm no sure if the 2005 supports those resolutions. The X2VGA website even warns about alot of LCD monitors not supporting those resolutions. All I can say is give it a try.

-Tony

-Tony
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2005, 01:53:26 AM »

720p games run in 1280x720 and I believe 1080i runs at 1900x1080. And I'm no sure if the 2005 supports those resolutions. The X2VGA website even warns about alot of LCD monitors not supporting those resolutions. All I can say is give it a try.

I just checked and 1280x720 doesn't come up as a res option for me on the 2005.  It might be possible custom configs, however.

1920x1080, on the other hand, is supported on the 2005.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2005, 02:21:14 AM »

I just checked and 1280x720 doesn't come up as a res option for me on the 2005.  It might be possible custom configs, however.

Whats the default res? 1600x1200? ANyways, it will be here tomorrow, so Kevin, anything I should know or do when I get it to tune it or something?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2005, 02:51:54 AM »

Default res is 1680x1050.  

You should be all set- I was very impressed with the packaging.  Dell included just about every possible cable type in the package.  I just plugged it in and it worked perfectly with no setup or calibration required.

I would definitely suggest checking out www.widescreengamingforum.com if you haven't already.  Its pretty much the best resource for determining which games support widescreen resolutions and how to implement them (some games support it natively and others require some form of hacks).

Oh yeah, you are going to want to download the Cleartype utility from Microsoft's site if you don't already have it.  Enabling cleartype drastically improves text quality on LCDs.  

And go under your display settings and increase your DPI to 120 (default is 96 I believe).

I'm sure you'll love it!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2005, 02:59:22 AM »

Thanks man! I will report back tomorrow!!
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2005, 12:25:53 PM »

That has to be your drivers.  I've never seen support for that resolution with my ATI drivers.  I'm not convinced the 2005 natively supports it.  I forgot to look last night though.  Do you see black bars on the top and bottom, or is the picture compressed to display that res?

Cool forum link, I'll have to check it out.  A lot of newer games support the 2005 resolution now, and games like Total War Rome can be hacked to do so.  Total War Rome looks incredible at 1680x1050, but it kills my computer at that res without turning down some options.  Other games like Guild Wars run smoothly and look great as well.

---
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: