http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 02:06:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Console Sales (Nov-Dec): 360 Triumphant, but Wii Wins the Hearts and Minds  (Read 2777 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2006, 06:00:49 AM »

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=158897930&play=1#

Preliminary Numbers:
360 - 2million
Wii - 1.8million
PS3 - 750k

A few notes:
-My hat is off to MS for leading the next-gen sales pack in the wake of the release of the Wii and PS3.
-The Wii is doing much better than I anticipated, and I think Nintendo deserves praise for taking a huge leap of faith by successfully moving in the opposite direction of the trends. Had this decision been a mistake, I think Nintendo would have been out of the console market after this generation.
-Sony falls another 1.25 million units behind MS. Exceptional hardware, but unless they start gaining that market share I expect more Japanese developers to jump ship for the Wii and 360. The Wii just may end up erasing much of Sony's mindshare in the gaming public.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 06:36:48 AM »

Seriously, other than trying to cause another console bitch fight, how do you figure the Wii is winning hearts and minds? Whats the point of that addition?  If I am somehow wrong and you have factual and documented sources about Wii's (or any other console) winning hearts and minds, please post it and then accept my apologies.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 06:42:12 AM by Calvin » Logged
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 06:53:24 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 31, 2006, 06:36:48 AM

Seriously, other than trying to cause another console bitch fight, how do you figure the Wii is winning hearts and minds? Whats the point of that addition?  If I am somehow wrong and you have factual and documented sources about Wii's (or any other console) winning hearts and minds, please post it and then accept my apologies.

Nice on the edit there.  Did you watch the video?  Those were the numbers listed on CNBC.  The analyst said the Wii "captured the imagination of the non-gamer."  I think that's a direct quote. 

Anyway, people getting inflammed about consoles really need to relax.  Gamers are winning in the console wars.  It seems both MS and Sony are busting their asses to make the most appealing system.  Console buyers so so finnicky that a leading in one generation is dead in the next.  That pretty much means the manufacturers have to respect the consumer as brand loyalty is very, very low (this, imo, is a good thing.  Corporations have zero loyalty and yet expect loyalty.  Screw that!).  Then there is the Wii.  Again, this is a company trying to create something to please us, the gamers!  Frankly, it's really nice to see.  I just hope it keeps going this way.

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 07:02:18 AM »

Did you watch the video? The analyst refers to the system as capturing the imagination of the non-gaming, and appealing to a broader audience in the marketplace. Have you read any of the articles in the mainstream press? Time? Businessweek? Or the Wall Street Journal? They actually say "The Wii Won Our Hearts." Do you watch CNN or Fox News? CNN had a piece on Nintendo growing the video game market with the launch of the Wii. The actually compared it to the ipod in terms of momentum. The Wii is the console of the day. It doesn't matter that it is my least favorite of the three consoles, the simple fact is that Nintendo has created enormous positive buzz and enormous sales.

It isn't meant to be inflammatory. Nintendo should be applauded on a definite achievement. On paper the Wii should have been crushed.

But apparently Inferior graphics+Inferior HDTV support+Inferior online capabilities+Inferior third party support=success. How many people would bet their salary on that horse?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 07:09:05 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 07:12:24 AM »

Quote from: Space Herpes on December 31, 2006, 06:53:24 AM

Gamers are winning in the console wars.  It seems both MS and Sony are busting their asses to make the most appealing system.  Console buyers so so finnicky that a leading in one generation is dead in the next.

Most appealing... OR MOST EXPENSIVE?

I kid, I kid. I just love these gamer console wars, though. Piss some people off, but I love them.

Just don't be dissin' my PC, and it's all good.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 07:14:09 AM »

Quote from: Space Herpes on December 31, 2006, 06:53:24 AM

Nice on the edit there.  Did you watch the video?  Those were the numbers listed on CNBC.  The analyst said the Wii "captured the imagination of the non-gamer."  I think that's a direct quote. 

Anyway, people getting inflammed about consoles really need to relax.  Gamers are winning in the console wars.  It seems both MS and Sony are busting their asses to make the most appealing system.  Console buyers so so finnicky that a leading in one generation is dead in the next.  That pretty much means the manufacturers have to respect the consumer as brand loyalty is very, very low (this, imo, is a good thing.  Corporations have zero loyalty and yet expect loyalty.  Screw that!).  Then there is the Wii.  Again, this is a company trying to create something to please us, the gamers!  Frankly, it's really nice to see.  I just hope it keeps going this way.

Well, I'll agree with Kevin Grey on one point- I can't say gamers are winning the console war until I see how microtransactions and the growing ability for developers to release buggy games that are later patched plays out. But I agree that being loyal to a console is strange. Play the games you love wherever they land.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 07:15:18 AM »

Odd, the numbers show the Xbox winning, but the clown in the interview says the Wii wins, then says "But, the Xbox 360 had more time to prepare, so we really don't count them as winning"..  Wtf? 

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 07:57:44 AM »

FWIW, these are strictly analyst's estimates.  While I'm sure the relative positions will stay the same, we still don't have real numbers. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 08:55:56 AM »

i have both a Wii and a 360(ps3 hasnt even been released here)and the Wii is a cool little machine..but it feels as though the games just aren't there for it at the moment...with less than half a dozen games(i think it stands at 3 titles) wanted for it by me in 2007

i have finished zelda,so i havent touched that again...red steel i am having some probelms getting into,but WILL try again...only the virtual console at the moment that i am playing on it(sim city rules).....its funny that nintendo have always said its about playablility with their consoles,not graphics or power so it is suprising to see ..the weather channel,the news channel,the internet channel etc,but i have always loved nintendo so i am not about to desert them...but i DO know that its practically in house games only for that console..me thinks,and the backwards compatible works fine

whereas the 360 goes strength to strength(again IMO)..the games coming out for the 360 look great and i have lost count of the games i want for it in 2007,this console you can depend on in house games and thrid party titles...and xbox live is still great...and hopefully like blue dragon before it,lost odyssey can get the japanese pumping about the 360

the numbers...obviously ps3 being last for now because they screwed up big time getting the numbers of units available...i think that the Wii may only keep it up because of its price...........now if the 360 was to cut their price(it has been out for over a year now)...it could see them start to take a more serious lead

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 09:20:45 AM »

One thing about the games for the Wii, it's a new system. New systems never have the games. Every console I have owned goes through this initial dry spell. The 360 only just seems to be opening up to where there are a wide variety of games I want (please hurry up with Blue Dragon!). I really think we need to take a wait and see approach to it.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 12:40:04 PM »

I can't look at those numbers and see a "win" for Microsoft. They had the year marketing lead, they had a MUCH better developed software selection, they had the price/performance sweet spot as far as "next-gen" graphics--and most importantly--they had the only console that was readily available. The fact that it was even close is not good news for Microsoft, IMO.

I disagree that brand loyalty is very, very low, and it is the thing that will save the PS3 eventually. There is a huge install base of PS2 owners, and manay of them will eventually get PS3, but it's a tough migration at the current price point, especially when there are still major PS2 titles on the way.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 02:34:15 PM »

The Wii sold less than the 360 only because there weren't enough Wiis to meet demand.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 03:34:20 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on December 31, 2006, 07:15:18 AM

Odd, the numbers show the Xbox winning, but the clown in the interview says the Wii wins, then says "But, the Xbox 360 had more time to prepare, so we really don't count them as winning"..  Wtf? 

Because the Wii was only 200,000 units behind the 360, with no Wiis left on retailer shelves. Had there been 300,000 more Wiis available to consumers, the Wii would've clearly won the retail season in all categories.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 04:07:22 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on December 31, 2006, 12:40:04 PM

they had the price/performance sweet spot as far as "next-gen" graphics

Baloney.  The price sweet spot is the lowest price, and that's the Wii by far. 

The Wii would've "won" if they had been able to manufacture enough, but they didn't.  I don't agree with the people who think the 360 should be running away with it.  That's a silly thought at this point.  The Wii is clearly the new hotness, so I'd have to agree with the "hearts and minds" statement as we can see new fanboys being minted daily icon_biggrin The Wii might have more momentum, but the fact is that the Xbox still sold more than any other console, at least according to these numbers, and I think that's interesting in and of itself.   So clearly the 360 hasn't reached a real market saturation point yet.  There's still quite a bit of road left in the console war.  I imagine we'll have to relive this thread over and over again like the undead as other sales estimates come out for December and the companies start their war of press releases retard
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 04:09:44 PM by kathode » Logged
Natjak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006, 04:11:53 PM »

Yeah it's too bad Nintendo has problems mass producing 5 year old tech, they would have sold more if they were around. I would have bought one but I've got Zelda for Gamecube now so the Wii can wait until more games show up.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2006, 05:10:21 PM »

It will be interesting to see how the last minute after-Christmas shuffle plays out. I have two friends who test drove their PS3s and walked away unimpressed. They are now both going for an Xbox 360 and Wii combination. I have a third friend who was going to buy a 360, but he had so much fun playing the Wii at a relative's house on Christmas Day that he has decided to go with the Nintendo system.

Sure, these three examples are anecdotes, but I'm certain the same scenario is being played out across the country as people decide what to do with those gift cards, and as they test drive their new systems.

I also wonder how many of those 360s were purchased because available inventory on the PS3 and Wii was so sporadic. Will the people who received those Microsoft systems return them and hold out for the next wave of their preferred console?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 05:15:58 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2006, 06:08:41 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on December 31, 2006, 02:34:15 PM

The Wii sold less than the 360 only because there weren't enough Wiis to meet demand.

Exactly.

We will see the real winner by next holiday season.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2006, 06:46:43 PM »

Quote from: kathode on December 31, 2006, 04:07:22 PM

I disagree, there are much more to factor than just price.  I simply cannot see the Wii sustaining the hype in the long term.  By many accounts, a full 50% of Americans will have HDTV's by next Christmas, and to go with those units, people will want real next-gen graphics and power.  The Wii cannot deliver this, and will never deliver this, and quite possibly could be a holiday fad.

The Wii would've "won" if they had been able to manufacture enough, but they didn't.
At this point I should probably break the news that the developers kit for the Wii is nothing more than a couple strap-ons to the existing Gamecube developer kits. The net result will be quite simply - everything on the Wii will look like stuff on the Gamecube, and what you have left is the controller.  Will that be enough for the long term given what we know?

I don't agree with the people who think the 360 should be running away with it.

2007 will be the Xbox360's year, mark my words.  Incredible 3rd generation games will be arriving.  Microsofts focus on developer sex will start showing through and paying off, and titles in development for 36+ month cycles will start hitting.  Mach2 hardware will be arriving, and with it reduced costs, better reliability, and market penetration.  I got to hand it to Microsoft, they positioned their console perfectly to have the best games at the best time, both in 2006, and in 2007.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2006, 07:07:58 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on December 31, 2006, 06:46:43 PM

Quote from: kathode on December 31, 2006, 04:07:22 PM

I disagree, there are much more to factor than just price.  I simply cannot see the Wii sustaining the hype in the long term.  By many accounts, a full 50% of Americans will have HDTV's by next Christmas, and to go with those units, people will want real next-gen graphics and power.  The Wii cannot deliver this, and will never deliver this, and quite possibly could be a holiday fad.

The Wii would've "won" if they had been able to manufacture enough, but they didn't.
At this point I should probably break the news that the developers kit for the Wii is nothing more than a couple strap-ons to the existing Gamecube developer kits. The net result will be quite simply - everything on the Wii will look like stuff on the Gamecube, and what you have left is the controller.  Will that be enough for the long term given what we know?

I don't agree with the people who think the 360 should be running away with it.

2007 will be the Xbox360's year, mark my words.  Incredible 3rd generation games will be arriving.  Microsofts focus on developer sex will start showing through and paying off, and titles in development for 36+ month cycles will start hitting.  Mach2 hardware will be arriving, and with it reduced costs, better reliability, and market penetration.  I got to hand it to Microsoft, they positioned their console perfectly to have the best games at the best time, both in 2006, and in 2007.

I'll agree that 2007 should be the year of the 360 based upon their release schedule (although some listed below are shared with the PS3):

Halo 3
Mass Effect
Blue Dragon
Virtua Fighter 5
Lost Odyssey (supposedly its a worldwide release)
Lost Planet
Crackdown
Too Human
Ghost Recon 2
Bioshock
Alan Wake (?)
Eternal Sonata
Grand Theft Auto 4
Forza 2
Splinter Cell 5
Assassin's Creed
Culdcept Saga
Guitar Hero 2 <edit>

Factor in these titles with a price drop and the 360 should excel. Like you, I also believe that the Wii will see a sales decline based upon its limitations, but I don't see that happening for at least another two years. Casual gamers are less invested in the HDTV aspect of gaming.

Sony needs to get their price down by at least $100, but I don't know how easy that will be from a manufacturing standpoint. Factor in their low software attach rate and you have a definite problem. Final Fantasy and Metal Gear are a long way off, so Sony needs a few of their upcoming lesser known titles to be home runs. (Lair, Heavenly Sword, etc.)

Its not going to happen, but it would be really interesting to see if MS could clip Nintendo's wings by dropping the price of their console by $100 during 2007. Even if Nintendo dropped their price and matched the core Xbox 360 at $199, Microsoft has alot of advantages over the Wii.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 07:39:06 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2006, 07:21:34 PM »

Lets not forget that casual gamers have notoriously short attention spans.

You forgot other big things like Guitar Hero 3 w/downloadable content.  Thats going to sell an Xbox360 to my wife next year, shes now a huge GH fangirl, and her main beef is "I want more songs". Assuming they will offer GH3 on the Wii, and the downloadable songs, it would be a tough sell to get her to invest next gen prices in yesterdays technology and go with a Wii over a 360.

Also, expect the Xbox360 with the new hardware to start approaching sub-$200 pricepoints. Its at that point that cheap fucks such as myself, will take seriously looks at the console, and mainstream gamers will not have much trouble convincing parents to toss it under the tree next Christmas.  Not to mention the magical $500-700 40"+ LCD units will be here, putting the entire package price well under $1000.00, and that includes almost all used 1st and 2nd gen games.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2006, 07:23:13 PM »

Well and remember that the Wii is $250 now and (cue Devil) Nintendo is already making money on it.  As they refine the production process I can see the Wii dropping to $200, then $150 eventually and probably still being profitable.  I think there are a lot of people who will eventually buy a Wii maybe as their only system or maybe as another one to go with their 360 or PS3.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2006, 07:49:13 PM »

Quote from: warning on December 31, 2006, 07:23:13 PM

Well and remember that the Wii is $250 now and (cue Devil) Nintendo is already making money on it.  As they refine the production process I can see the Wii dropping to $200, then $150 eventually and probably still being profitable.  I think there are a lot of people who will eventually buy a Wii maybe as their only system or maybe as another one to go with their 360 or PS3.

If the Wii and 360 managed to hit a $200 price point by next Christmas, I have no idea how Sony could effectively respond to that move. That would put them $300 and $400 above the price of their competitors. They'd need to follow suit on a price drop, but it would need to be at least $200 to make people do serious comparison shopping. They would then be taking a huge bath on each console sold, and Sony isn't minting money like MS and Nintendo. I really want Sony to succeed, but they seem to have painted themselves into a corner until sometime in 2008.

Perhaps Vista will bomb and Blu-ray movie consumption will really take off?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2006, 08:54:24 PM »

I wonder what the sales figures for the DS are.  I still can't find one around here.  No problem finding a PSP though, but I really don't have any interest in any of the games for it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2006, 10:06:16 PM »

Go to Costco, they got Pink, Black and White by the hundreds.  Want me to send you one?  LOL

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2006, 10:39:11 PM »

Predictions.

I'm still waiting on the $179.00 Wii.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2006, 10:40:59 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 31, 2006, 10:39:11 PM

Predictions.

I'm still waiting on the $179.00 Wii.

Well they decided to add a pack in, and wanted more profit at the 11th hour.  Shit happens.  99% is still a good record.  :slywink:

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2006, 11:53:47 PM »

Quote from: warning on December 31, 2006, 07:23:13 PM

the gamecube was the cheapest of the 3(at least here in the UK)...and they didnt drop the price until outlets and video game shops in general,stopped/refused nintendo products altogether because they just werent being bought,nintendo had a decent enough month or two after that,then it went back to how it was(sales wise,not price wise)thats when i bought my second gamecube because it was 80 and came with the 4 game zelda disc(360 games cost 40-50)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2007, 01:10:02 AM »

Isn't it nice that the same thread, over and over can happen?  It is sort of comforting to know that we will always have these arguments.

Personally I don't get it.  I am perfectly willing to bet that MS will sell more 360s than Nintendo will sell Wiis.  Of course since being "#1 in sales" isn't the business model that Nintendo is using it is a pointless comparison.  In other words another statement I am perfectly willing to agree to is that Nintendo will make a higher profit on each Wii sold.  There is only one reason that MS and Sony can fight the way they are - they are huge.  Neither company could sustain the types of loses their gaming divisions do without the support of the rest of the company.  Those two companies are fighting a different battle, with different goals. 

So, anyway yah MS will sell more 360s...and it won't mean crap to the investors in Nintendo because they will still be making money. 

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2007, 04:24:25 AM »

Battlestar Galactica Online for the Xbox360 coming in 2007 could be interesting. 360 exclusive.

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=200251

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2007, 04:27:24 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on January 01, 2007, 04:24:25 AM

Battlestar Galactica Online for the Xbox360 coming in 2007 could be interesting. 360 exclusive.

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=200251

I didn't even know they were making a BSG game.  Anyone hear anything about it beyond EBGames listing it?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2007, 04:34:56 AM »

This is all so far;

http://playsquad.commongate.com/post/Battlestar_Galactica_Online_confirmed_by_Vivendi

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2007, 06:32:36 AM »

I got a Wii from my wife for Christmas.  I played Wii Sports for a while and will probably still play it when people come over.  But as a single player console I don't see anything I really want to play right now, or in the near future.  I rented Zelda but I could have just played it on the Gamecube if I really wanted to play it.

I'd like to want to buy a PS3.  But I just can't see a reason to do so besides Resistance.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2007, 10:36:36 AM »

2007 will be the Xbox360's year, mark my words. 

Be careful- Wilfred Laurier said the exact same thing about Canada and the 20th century. And look how that turned out.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2007, 12:16:34 PM »

in order:

I hate it how anything that is stated is automotaically turned into the favor of the person's system they prefer.

wii sold 1.3 million units...

PS Fan: Look they sold 1 million because its cheap and it's like buying cheap cologne...
XBox Fan: Not our numbers, gg nub
nintendo fan: Xbox had a year head start and only won by *Blah* amount of games, this is the year of the wii!

MY point of view:
PS3's are too much, period.  It's a serious investment that will need them to actually pimp out a serious amount of games people would be willing to pay to play.  I havent seen anything worthwhile yet.  when they announce a new gran tourismo, a new final fantasy, a new etc... and suddenly I start drooling... I'll probably consider going out to get one.

X-Box is just now doing that for with thier lineup of games.  I'd damn near sell a kidney for gears of war (No I wouldnt but you know what I mean) plus with its upcoming lineup... I'm having a hard time not shelling out the money...

My friends own wii's and X-box 360's... To me the Wii is a party machine.  You want to play with 4 or 6 of your closest friends... All the games are meant ot be _fun_ for one and all.  It's a system that has worked for them for many many years now.  You dont need the big graphcis, you dont need the amazing frills if your games are just that much fun to play.  Still... I'm wondering how crimson skies would play on a wii...

Me.. right now I'm apathetic about comparing any of the systems.  I think the Wii is going to do its thing and make money, because nintendo doesnt do big, it does good.  I think the Playstation better sell thier souls to the third party developers and put out an amazing lineup sometime through the middle of next year with a 100 to 200 dollar price drop by next christmas or they are going to get molested. Who wants to shell out 600 bucks for a system no one is supporting?  And the X-Box needs ot go full steam ahead and press thier advantage while they clearly have it in terms of amount and quality of games...  The price drop will probably do that for them..

Still I like how competition breeds excellence in most cases.  The longer all 3 systems duke it out, the more everyone of us will win.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2007, 12:32:23 AM »

One thing about the games for the Wii, it's a new system. New systems never have the games.

The Dreamcast did!   icon_cool thumbsup

I agree that 2007 will be the true battle royale, when the hardware is all readily available.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2007, 01:30:46 AM »

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/plenty-o-ps3s-but-no-takers-225271.php

Is there a word or a phrase win you get so much anectdotal evidence that it shows a trend, or is there a description for something just above anectdotal evidence.

I think, while the PS3 is an awesomely powerful machine, they have been hurt by not having enough good games available at launch, coupled with price, and then not getting listed as the hot item to buy. I saw a pile of them in my Best Buy, anectdotal yes, but it looks like it is becoming a trend. Hopefully for Sony Motorstorm, Oblivion, and a couple others like FEAR will help the system get moving again.

I am definitely in the camp of the PS3 pulling an SNES-like comeback in about 2 years when they have more games, more people have HDTV's and know how to use them. Yeah Nintendo and Microsoft may have big leads by then, but Sony will close the gap. I can easily see all three systems having 35 to 45 million systems sold worldwide by the end of 2009 middle of 2010. Which would be good for Microsoft and Nintendo, not so much Sony.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2007, 02:07:23 AM »

My purchase cycle for the newer consoles looks something like this;

Xbox360 - Christmas 2007 at the earliest.  This could be delayed another year depending. I do need to get the kids something big at Christmas, and I will probably be out of options next Christmas so this is a logical candidate.  But then again, that depends on the library of games, both new and used available, and whether or not the Mach2 hardware redesign is ready.  Lotsa variables here.

Wii - 2009 + (or when it gets to $100 or less, and only then to replace the cube to run cube games and the odd cheap used AAA wii game)

PS3 - 2010+ (or whenever their SlimPS3 design arrives along with a plethora of cheap used AAA games)

No hurry for us, we're always well behind the curve with consoles - and this is by choice.  I learned the hard way to avoid the gaming glut, and wait for the large and cheap used libraries.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2007, 02:44:11 AM »

What we all need to remember is where we are posting and reading right now.

Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Like your 360? Who cares!
Found a PS3 and enjoy it? Shut up!
Picked up a PSP and it hasn't actually killed you in your sleep? Liar!

Every argument devolves to one simple point...

:slywink:  icon_biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2007, 03:26:19 AM »

Quote from: Devil on January 02, 2007, 02:44:11 AM

Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

He admitted it!!!!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2007, 04:26:13 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on January 02, 2007, 02:07:23 AM

My purchase cycle for the newer consoles looks something like this;

Xbox360 - Christmas 2007 at the earliest.  This could be delayed another year depending. I do need to get the kids something big at Christmas, and I will probably be out of options next Christmas so this is a logical candidate.  But then again, that depends on the library of games, both new and used available, and whether or not the Mach2 hardware redesign is ready.  Lotsa variables here.

Wii - 2009 + (or when it gets to $100 or less, and only then to replace the cube to run cube games and the odd cheap used AAA wii game)

PS3 - 2010+ (or whenever their SlimPS3 design arrives along with a plethora of cheap used AAA games)

No hurry for us, we're always well behind the curve with consoles - and this is by choice.  I learned the hard way to avoid the gaming glut, and wait for the large and cheap used libraries.

I'm with you on this, it pays to be patient and pocket the savings. Although I did buy a Wii on Nov 19th. It's a been a family tradition for 3 Nintendo generations; camped out in 96 for the N64, strolled in at noon on Nov 19th 01 to pick out a cube from a large stack, Got in line at Walmart on Nov 19th at 6:00 with my 2 youngest kids and was lucky to snag the last ticket.  icon_biggrin The fact that Nintendo's consoles are also much cheaper really eases the pain of day 1 purchasing.

360: I'll be buying the one in 2007 when Mass Effects is released. Can't bear to hear how great a Bioware game is and not be able to play it.

PS3: I'll also wait until a cheaper version of the PS3 is released; hopefully in 2008. 

I generally make it a policy not to buy a console after it's 1/2 way through it's life cycle. Otherwise you run the risk of the manufacturer completely abandoning it such as Micro$oft did with the XBox when the 360 released. In hindsight I'm very glad I bought my XBox in 2003 after the price had dropped by $100.
I also vowed to never own a PS2 last gen due to pathetic claims that Ken the BS'er made about it, but finally broke down and bought one in September.
I'll admit to wanting all AAA titles the day they're released, so holding on out until 1/2 way through a consoles life cycle can be real torchure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: