http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 10:43:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Console keyboard and mouse?  (Read 2572 times)
dkass
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2004, 08:39:45 PM »

Just curious of there is a keyboard and mouse combo for any of the consoles. I'd like to buy one, but prefer the KB + M setup for games--I can't seem to get used to any kind of a joystick or Mpad.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 09:06:49 PM »

Lik-Sang released one for the Xbox.  You have to import it though.
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 06:59:53 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"

Has anybody used the Lik-Sang K/M adapter for the xbox?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 07:38:50 PM »

Adrenaline Vault just posted a review for the SmartJoy Frag.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 08:06:00 PM »

Quote from: "crumsteel"

Just got mine on friday. I called MS, apparently it's not being hunted by the live service, however I'm going to try it after I disconnect the CAT5. <sigh> I'll likely dump an impression up here later this week. (12hr workday today).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 07:35:56 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

Just got mine on friday. I called MS, apparently it's not being hunted by the live service, however I'm going to try it after I disconnect the CAT5. <sigh> I'll likely dump an impression up here later this week. (12hr workday today).

Any impressions yet Purge? What about live, can you use it when playing multiplayer?
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 08:46:23 PM »

I got mine the other day although I havent been able to try it yet. I hope to be able to in the next day or two (maybe tonight). I'll post my impressions as well when I get a chance to try it out.

-Tony
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 05:03:06 AM »

Any impressions yet Purge? What about live, can you use it when playing multiplayer?

Not yet... I didn't think Half-Life2 would suck me in as much as it did. slywink I'll try it out this weekend; I'm on call this week and between pages I'm in HL2. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 01:04:39 PM »

Not yet... I didn't think Half-Life2 would suck me in as much as it did. slywink I'll try it out this weekend; I'm on call this week and between pages I'm in HL2. biggrin

Thats exactly the same thing thats kept me from trying it myself. I'm on the prison level right now (hard).

-Tony
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 04:19:43 PM »

I haven't had much time to mess with the keyboard, but the mouse is amazing. I mean, I started the level with the Arbiter in Halo2 where you just arrived on the trolley and you have the sentinels coming out. without the keyboard I was able to snipe 12 of the buggers in 3 bullets or less (each) from the carbine. Didn't miss with one shot, and all of them were moving at the time, far enough that I was zoomed. Tracking is really good.

:shock: People will hate me if I use this on Live.  
:twisted: Maybe we'll try it sometime... heh.

I was using a standard IBM 104+ black keyboard (you know the ones, PS2 connection with the blue enter keys) and a MS Wireless USB v3.0 Intellimouse Explorer (ps2 adapter). I'll create a new impression thread when I've had some time with it. In the meantime, while it's connected my LIVE is not.

(fyi- beat HL2 now, working on Baiten Kaitos)

croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 06:04:37 PM »

I haven't had much time to mess with the keyboard, but the mouse is amazing. I mean, I started the level with the Arbiter in Halo2 where you just arrived on the trolley and you have the sentinels coming out. without the keyboard I was able to snipe 12 of the buggers in 3 bullets or less (each) from the carbine. Didn't miss with one shot, and all of them were moving at the time, far enough that I was zoomed. Tracking is really good.

:shock: People will hate me if I use this on Live.  
:twisted: Maybe we'll try it sometime... heh.

I was using a standard IBM 104+ black keyboard (you know the ones, PS2 connection with the blue enter keys) and a MS Wireless USB v3.0 Intellimouse Explorer (ps2 adapter). I'll create a new impression thread when I've had some time with it. In the meantime, while it's connected my LIVE is not.

(fyi- beat HL2 now, working on Baiten Kaitos)

Where did you get the adaptor to use it on the XBox?  Do you have a link of the one you bought?

Thanks
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2004, 06:31:20 PM »

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=160&products_id=5438&

-Tony[/url]
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2004, 06:45:05 PM »

Purge, from the time you ordered it, how long did it take to receive it?

I'm curious about the Live thing, too. I'd hate to be banned from Live for using one of these. I read some were banned recently just for replacing their DVD drives.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2004, 07:44:30 PM »

I don't see why they should ban you. You are NOT modifying the Xbox in any way. You are just hooking up a different type of joystick for all intents and purposes. I do not believe that they would even have any legal way of banning you for buying 3rd party equipment that does not modify the box directly.
As an aside, I just received mine. I order it the day before Thanksgiving. I am going away this week, so I'm not sure if I'll have time to try itout or not....
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2004, 07:56:34 PM »

When you guys get a chance to test it out... I have a few questions:

1. does the keyboard work anywhere. esp those "type your name in here" things that normally take 10 minutes to do.

2. is it only designed for FPS'? is there any other use for it?

3. how much was shipping?

thx
dkass
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2004, 08:16:37 PM »

I am actually more interested in using it with the platformers/rpgs (for some reasons all joysticks seem to really hurt my wrists) than I am with FPS's. If anyone has a chance, how does it work with those kind of games?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2004, 09:20:16 PM »

I don't know how long it took (exactly) as I pre-ordered it and they were waiting for stock. (beginning of October) As I recall, it took about 5-6 days (~1 week)after they had stock.

I called MS about it; they are not, at this time, banning people for using it. As to whether they *could* or not, they could indicate it is non-MS approved peripheral... like having a "turbo" or "macro" button on a 3rd party controller that had not been approved by MS.

As to the keyboard functionality, no, it doesn't work that way. The inputs WSAD emulate the up-down-left-right. The only keyboard interface I can recall was the adapter for Phantasy Star Online I & II; and that only worked for that game (it was an adapter for a memory port).

I've not had any time to play around with the settings or the custom configs yet; I'll let you all know in a full "Impressions" thread once I've had some time with it.

As it is, Baten Kaitos is taking up my time now. OOOooo, and Metriod Prime II (oh god I hope they corrected the controls or at least allow custom config). I'm also picking up my WoW special edition preorder today. <sigh> Its a busy time to be a gamer.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2004, 05:26:46 AM »

if you decide on the Xbox SmartJoy Frag, try jandaman.com, it's in stock there now. it costs one dollar more than at liksang (but if they're out of stock...)    go straight  to Xbox, it's about 3 pics down on the page.

i ordered an Xbox cable and a Dreamcast adapter, and the shipping for both was $2.70, USPS.  jandaman is in Washington state and i'm in Massachusetts, so it might end up being slow but i doubt you can beat that shipping cost.

here's some of the info there on the Frag:

Product Features
# Connect PC Mouse and Keyboard to your Xbox®
# Especially designed for First Person Shooters
# Supports all keys on Keyboard and Mouse (including Scroll-Wheel)
# Pre-Installed configurations for most FPS Best Sellers
# Fully programmable including advanced features such as Deadzone and Mouse Control Inversion
# Built-in Memory Card slot for compatible peripherals (incl. Headset)
# Works with any game, even without built-in Mouse + Keyboard support
# Compatible with all Xbox® consoles (US, JPN, PAL)
# Compatible with standard PS/2 Mice, incl. USB Mice with USB to PS/2 Adapter
# Compatible with Optical and Wireless Mice
# Controller port cable with inline release
# Also available for PlayStation®2

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2004, 07:59:27 PM »

Thanks for the impressions and info, just ordered one.

Now to decide on buying halo2 and xbox live.
dkass
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2004, 09:13:33 PM »

Anyone have impressions with the keyborad/mouse combo with non-fps games?
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2004, 10:58:55 PM »

sorry, i can't help with impressions on the item, but i can say that it seems you won't have to worry about the shipping time if you get it from that website i discovered - jandaman.com.  I ordered two items from them on 12/1 (i'm across the country from them)  - and just got the items today (12/4).

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: