http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 08:00:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Console Gold is going to expand.  Where would you like to see the site expand next?  (Voting closed: June 17, 2004, 03:29:16 PM)
PC Only Site - 5 (20.8%)
Game Specific Sites (think PlanetFable) - 6 (25%)
Hardware Review Site - 1 (4.2%)
Accessories Only Site - 1 (4.2%)
Something else - 11 (45.8%)
Total Voters: 24

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Console Gold's Future - The Poll  (Read 2993 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 17, 2004, 03:29:16 PM »

Console Gold is going to expand.  Where would you like to see the site expand next?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 03:56:21 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Console Gold is going to expand.  Where would you like to see the site expand next?

Ummmm,,, why is there a choice for "PC Only" site??? Isn't that the point of GoneGold.com?

For Consoles, expanding into Hardware and Accessories would be as boring as watching wood warp,,,, you might get 3 news items a month on that.

Just for the record, why is Console Gold wanting to expand so bad anyway?

...and yes, I voted for Game Specific sites.  That makes sense to me.  That served the GameSpy community pretty well and I really miss all those game specific sites.  There really isn't anything like that for the Xbox:
- PlanetHalo
- PlanetFable
- PlanetPlayboyMansion (errrrr, 2 sales doesn't warrant a game getting a site)
- PlanetSplinterCell
- PlanetMorrowind

.etc., etc., etc.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 04:39:45 PM »

I voted for PC Only site.

Sure, we have GoneGold, but they don't exactly have any PC game news aside from what is mentioned in Bill's column.

I really enjoy the format of CG and wouldn't mind seeing a PC section run in the same way.  You know, with actual news updates and reviews.  They do such a fine job with consoles, why would I not want to see the same for PC games?

I would also like to see the old hardware reviews added to the site.  I don't think that would be too big an expansion really as long as it is handled like the game reviews.

As for game specific sites, how far can you take that with console games?  You can't exactly have mods or tweak guides, which is what most of those sites are based on.  For example, just what can you do with a game-specific KOTOR site?  A strategy guide, walkthrough, and a few rumors...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 05:24:30 PM »

I wish there was an option about not wanting to expand, so here is my vote for that smile

I personally think you should wait and focus on features that are missing.  (Trading Forum features, putting next and back arrows on your screenshot pages) stuff like that.
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 05:27:25 PM »

Quote from: "naednek"
I wish there was an option about not wanting to expand, so here is my vote for that smile

I have to agree with that as well.  I like LOVE(!) Console Gold and really get nervous hearing talk about "...expanding".

If anything, I wish Console Gold could have more coverage of games and bring us more news instead of going in a different direction altogether.

...but, for whatever reason, if it has to expand, I hope it adds game specific sites.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 05:43:36 PM »

Well, not to worry.  This isn't a 'next week' expansion.  This is a probably next year sometime timeframe.  There is a LOT of things that I want to do with CG.  Not to worry...this is just very long range planning.

As for the PC, I don't want to compete with Rich.  Don't get that idea in your head.  I want to make something that is doing the things that they are not.  I don't ever want to have people think that I used Rich as some sort of spring board and now I want to somehow bury his site.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 05:59:42 PM »

I don't ever want to have people think that I used Rich as some sort of spring board and now I want to somehow bury his site.

I'm glad to hear you say that, Knightshade, 'cause I've been getting that impression a little, honestly.

I'm happy to have a site that is more dedicated to console games, as that's where my interest has shifted, and I understand that Rich hasn't been upkeeping GG (and Bill's stuff is very Bill-centric), but I still have a deep love for Gone Gold and the more things that take CG away from that, the more disappointed I get.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 06:05:26 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
As for the PC, I don't want to compete with Rich.

Honestly, I really can't imagine CG covering PC games.  Honestly, how many sites do we need covering PC games?  There is already a bazillion:
- Shacknews
- Blues News
- HomelanFed
- Evil Avatar
- GoneGold
- The whole Gamespy network!

Now, how many great sites cover Console Games?  The key word is *great*.  Just Console Gold in my mind.

I could care less about PCs and having to start wading through lots of that information would be a major turn off.  Yes, I understand that some like consoles and PCs, if that's the case, there is a ton of sites (see above) that already cater to that need.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 06:05:47 PM »

Well then I'm glad to have said it.  We are not trying to take anything away from GG.  Hell, there is no way that I could really.  Rich has a magnetism that pulls people in, I really can't even say I understand how it works.  I know that Mary Jo cooked waffles for Rich for breakfast one day.  I know that Rich watches football and has a young son.  I know the details of his injuries.  I know his friends and I know the kinda games he likes to play.  I know more about Rich LaPorte than I know about some of my co-workers!

All that said, name ONE webmaster that you have that level of REAL connection.  If you can name even ONE I'd be surprised.  I couldn't emulate/take that even if I wanted to.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 06:06:09 PM »

I thought I should give an example, just to set the record straight:  This forum, for one.  I understand this is a new forum (though it bums me out to no end that I am back to "newbie"), there will be new posters and trolls, but the GG forum was one of the greatest on the net for level-headed discussion.  Flame wars were at a minimum.  There was a sense of respect that just isn't as firmly rooted here (yet, hopefully).   I get that being relegated to one forum section was a little limiting, but the console section wasn't getting that many posts anyway, and here there are even fewer.

I realize I'm coming off as an old guy who doesn't like change, but I'm an old guy who doesn't like change.

EDIT:  I meant to add again that it's great to hear your respect for GG still exists, it gives me hope for this forum and site.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 06:06:37 PM »

No matter which way we go it'd be a seperate domain I'd imagine.  You won't find PC stuff on CG.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 06:18:03 PM »

To be honest with you guys, we really wanted to stay with the Gone Gold forum, but for a long time there were major problems with the Gone Gold forum where it would go down at "high time" during the day.  Because of the inability of GG's forum to stay up, we probably lost a lot of chances at getting some advertising for the CG main site and we started talking about a Console forum set up on our new site that had been in the works for a while.

Opening up this new forum gives us the chance to have a stable forum and have control over the forum.  If you note, none of the CG staff had any control over the Console Forum over on GG and we were often chastized for trying to garner some conversation on stuff CG related on that forum.  So, what's the best idea for Console Gold in this situation in your opinion?  We took the path of a new forum.

We offered an idea up to Gone Gold that would have tied the two forums together more, but it was declined or the offer was never answered (I really don't know), so here we are with this forum.

GG is an excellent forum (I still post there), we would just like a more broad look at Consoles than they were able to give us.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004, 06:31:37 PM »

Rather than the given options, I'd like to see versions of CG page sets for each console.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2004, 09:19:38 PM »

I voted: Game Specific Sites (think PlanetFable)

But I was thinking more TvTome.

Think about it

You can have a page for a given game in development or completed. Have someone who's interested in the game post news about the game. Have links to people who developed the game. see what other games they worked on and are working on.  Same with the voice talent.

I think it's unique. Dunno if anyone else is doing it.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2004, 01:43:47 PM »

I think that is a great idea.

Maybe have pages for games in development, with a wiki or something similar on it so whenever a member of CG finds some new news on the game or something they can post it.  

I voted for Game Specific Site.

Go Gunners...
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2004, 01:50:35 PM »

Quote from: "naednek"

I personally think you should wait and focus on features that are missing.  (Trading Forum features, putting next and back arrows on your screenshot pages) stuff like that.

Agreed. I voted for 'something else', but I would really just rather see a mo betta CG. I realize you are talking about long range planning here, but I would like to see the current format continue. Maybe Driver's platform specific pages, but don't change too much.

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2004, 08:33:57 PM »

Just re-instate your GameTab feed and I'll be happy.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2004, 08:50:08 PM »

I voted for "something else".  The separate platform page is a nice idea.

Or maybe expand to something like movie news/reviews?  It seems like for every movie coming out, a game must be made to coincide.  I think the two would go nicely together.  I'd also trust reviews from fellow gamers before many of the other "professional" reviewers out there.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
DaBargainHunta
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2004, 02:30:51 PM »

I voted for "something else" too. I'm not sure what that "something else" IS, but I know I don't want a PC-only site, and I'm not quite sold on the idea of individual game sites either.

Addicted to game and DVD bargain bins everywhere!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2004, 05:08:35 AM »

I'm bumping this back up with Bill Harris quitting Gone Gold as of his last Night Call tonight.  I would be interested if there is any other people that might like to see PC content as well as the Console content here.

I have no inner knowledge of what is going on at Gone Gold in case you guys were wondering.  I just find it odd that many moderators and now Bill have left the site.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2004, 05:44:14 AM »

Yeah, the conspiracy theorist in me is screaming, "Who knew what when," but it really wouldn't matter.  No matter what, it now seems to be a very smart move, switching over to a semi-independant site and forum.  

There is much lamenting at GG, and with that forums long-standing history, I think most would be sad to lose all the info still contained within, but if it goes away, I'm sure everyone would happily find a home here.

Maybe the "Something Else" could be archiving the old GG forums.

Also, PC info might not be a bad thing to add.  Honestly, we haven't had it on the GG main page for quite awhile now.

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2004, 01:54:55 PM »

i dont think cg should expand to cover pc, i took it to be a non-pc gaming site. i think this needs expanded coverage. if it expanded its coverage by reporting more news, having more topics, etc, i think it could be greatly improved.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2004, 04:56:05 AM »

To me, GG has deteriorated to a popular weblog for the past 2 years or so. It's stagnant and the posts/content isn't really relevant to the topic of PC gaming. I mean, release dates? Hello...

The forums are fine and I respect GG; I just don't bother with it anymore. Not enough hours in the day.

As for CG, I don't like game specific sites, PC gaming is meh (see below), so I chose Something Else.

Consolegold with platform specific format wouldn't be bad, but I don't know that segregating that information is required. Also, it's very done (/em looks to IGN and shudders).

The thing is, I want to see info on more than one platform at a time. oooo... profiles. That'd be nice. Selecting your game platforms (e.g. I currently have no use for GBA's, Phone-gaming-tacos, PSPs, etc...) so I could filter the news to exclude the explict mobile-only articles etc.  

Also, rather than having a daily wrap-up as a news article, I'd like to see it as its own section, where today's wrapup is presented on the front page and once again is filtered on my preferences. Being able to browse through previous ones would be nice, and even having a searchable news archive.

PC comments--------------
The problem with going for PC gaming in CG is that it doesn't fit... PC game news muddies the water when it comes to relevant info. What I mean by that is, are you planning on going into hardware reviews, performance testing, covering "Gameplay", etc? What about the latest graphics chip competition, and worrying about new driver updates, blah, blah, blah.... It's apples and oranges my friend; I'm happy with the abundance of CG's apples.
-------------------------------

[sigh] I know, I give you work. Sorry Tongue

Oh, and good job with the site. ^^ No complaints about it, except that PJ guy. He's got shifty eyes; I wouldn't trust him around my beer.  :twisted:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2004, 05:18:33 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
The thing is, I want to see info on more than one platform at a time. oooo... profiles. That'd be nice. Selecting your game platforms (e.g. I currently have no use for GBA's, Phone-gaming-tacos, PSPs, etc...) so I could filter the news to exclude the explict mobile-only articles etc.

Now THAT is a great idea!  With the current setup I don't know how easy it would be to do that (although the stories are marked with the little icons) but that would be a very cool thing to implement.  I do that on GameTab since I don't own a Cube.

Also, rather than having a daily wrap-up as a news article, I'd like to see it as its own section, where today's wrapup is presented on the front page and once again is filtered on my preferences. Being able to browse through previous ones would be nice, and even having a searchable news archive.

I don't know about that one.  I like the sound of it, but then you really start to compartmentalize a lot of the features.  I think the ease-of-use in having everything on one page is key to clean design.

I don't know why you can't search old news archives.  Maybe you can, but I never found that option.  I know I can, but I don't think regular readers can and that doesn't do you much good :twisted:

Great suggestions, Purge.  I think you hit the nail on the head in terms of where I would like to see things move in the short-term, and that is to refine what we have before doing much more.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2004, 06:03:09 PM »

Now THAT is a great idea! With the current setup I don't know how easy it would be to do that (although the stories are marked with the little icons) but that would be a very cool thing to implement. I do that on GameTab since I don't own a Cube.
Already something in the long range plan. smile

Also, rather than having a daily wrap-up as a news article...
The Wrap is becoming automated and will probably be moved to the features page.  Still figuring out where it works best.

I don't know why you can't search old news archives.

They aren't quite DB driven yet, that's coming.

It is a ton of work and because we are all (to borrow a phrase from some friends) Gamers-With-Jobs, we have to do what we can when we can.  Just know that none of us are the 'stand still' type and we will always keep moving to the future.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: