http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 11:55:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Console games you want to love but can't  (Read 3810 times)
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2008, 09:54:09 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 21, 2008, 04:53:01 PM

RE4.  And I've tried, I have restarted soooo many times.
TML, are you playing the Wii or the PS2 version?  B/C I was in the same boat with the PS2 . . . just gave up, but on the Wii it clicked . . .

Quote from: GatorFavre on February 22, 2008, 09:24:12 PM

Halo 3 (Single player) - I seriously can't stand Halo anymore.  The last 3-4 levels of Halo 3 were terrible and it felt like a chore to finish.  Multiplayer on the other hand, I really enjoy.
I only managed to play part of the first level single player and just could not get into it . . . the only reason I ever went back and finished the campaign was to play co-op with my son.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 09:57:28 PM by ras752000 » Logged

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Pyperkub
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2008, 11:51:55 PM »

Quote from: Caine on February 22, 2008, 09:18:03 AM

smt: nocturne.  like the idea of it more than the actual gameplay.  still have it and the guide on my shelf.

smt?  I recall the Nocturne PC game fondly but doubt that's what we're talking about...

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2008, 12:11:04 AM »

The MGS series entirely, the first of which I loved while the next two I wanted to nail Kojima to a cross for. Dead Rising as has been noted vehemently by yours truly in the respective thread. I'd also say Dragon Quest VIII because while I enjoyed aspects of it I realized I couldn't do the standard level grind in those type of games anymore. I have a hard time now where 60 hours out of a 100 hour game have to be devoted to level/skill jacking.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2008, 12:43:54 AM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on February 22, 2008, 11:51:55 PM

smt: nocturne.  like the idea of it more than the actual gameplay.  still have it and the guide on my shelf.

smt?  I recall the Nocturne PC game fondly but doubt that's what we're talking about...

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne- part of a JRPG series. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2008, 02:10:51 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 23, 2008, 12:43:54 AM

yeah, not Nocturne starring The Stranger by Pandemic.  It sucks they never made a sequel beyond that one Blair Witch spin off.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2008, 04:33:43 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 23, 2008, 02:10:51 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 23, 2008, 12:43:54 AM

yeah, not Nocturne starring The Stranger by Pandemic.  It sucks they never made a sequel beyond that one Blair Witch spin off.

I can't believe you're just dismissing the entire Bloodrayne spin off series.  Think of the movies if nothing else.

On topic, count me in Gears crowd.  The dark bird things pushed me over the edge.  Some day I'll finish it though.

I also didn't enjoy Mechassault.  I love mech games, but that series just felt hollow to me.

I just couldn't get into Super Mario Sunshine.  I'd love one part then hate the next two.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2008, 04:48:26 AM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on February 23, 2008, 04:33:43 AM

On topic, count me in Gears crowd. 
I also didn't enjoy Mechassault.  I love mech games, but that series just felt hollow to me.

You just killed a little piece of my soul.   tear

Gears and Mechassault are probably my 2 favorite non-sports console games ever.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 04:50:28 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2008, 05:59:45 AM »

I used to love EA sports games but now I cant STAND EM.  Madden's secondary is almost just a random chance.  Some passes caught, some dropped, some intercepted, and I cant tell why. Plus as QB you still cant get a good look downfield.  Madden had better game mechanics when it first came out, Receiver cams at least allowed you to see your options.
 I would LOVE for sports games to go back to fun simple game mechanics.  Enough with all the over complicated fluff and shit.

Obilivion bored my to tears, I also hate all the megamans, and final fantasy titles. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2008, 07:19:51 AM »

Guitar Hero.  Medium was fun, but trying to learn Hard felt more like work than play.  Combine that with the fact that I've never heard of half the songs, and hope never to hear many of them again, and you end up with an exercise in frustration.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2008, 07:34:19 AM »

God of War.  The new PSP demo just proved to me again how much I dislike these games despite really wanting to enjoy them.  Tons of the same old boring button mashing, stupid Dragon's Lair "minigame" button timing crap, making me walk across a tiny board when I have no control over the camera, boss fights where they gain back nearly all of their health if I don't hit the right button... so much potential ruined by these shitty elements. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
davidf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »

I like sandbox games, but all the arcady elements of GTA series made it hard for me to get into it (liked timed missions, you do again, again, and again...for what?). However, I LOOOVED Crackdown. As far as I'm concerned it is the Diablo of Sandbox games, what everyone else should aspire to!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2008, 06:47:29 PM »

So much Dead Rising hate.  Makes me sad.    crybaby

Okami would be in the top 10. I was so excited for that game, but I just could never get into it.

Mass Effect too, though I've only given it about 3 hrs. That may have been my most anticipated game ever and to never load it up beyond my first time...it's shocking.

Castlevania.
I didn't get it on NES and I didn't get it on DS.  Never again.

Halo.  Played all 3. Loved the MP in Halo3 but haven't fired it up since COD4 hit.  Worst game writing I've ever seen in part 3. Ever.  EVER!

Pokemon. Everyone who loves it loves it.  I've never played it and probably never will. But man, people love that stuff.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2008, 05:04:01 PM »

Gran Turismo is definitely the first on my list. I actually liked the very first one a lot, but all the sequels lost me fast. I understand it is an impeccable driving simulation, but I really prefer arcade style racing games.

Metal Gear Solid 2, 3 and Portable ops. I loved the MGS remake on the Cube, and I thought I'd like these, but it's just not the same.

Kotor - I played into it about 8 hours, but it just fell flat for me, and the whole good/evil thing is terribly implemented. Bioware shoehorns this in to a lot of their games lately, and I truly feel their mechanic is broken. It's too black and white, their matrix or whatever is too simplified, and things tend to boil down to making either really evil choices or really good choices. Usually the game plot really rewards you for the really good choice too. Except for the 2 Baldur's gate titles most of Bioware's games are ones I want to love but can't.

Halo series is another one, I played the first one on co-op with the wife, it was good to a point, then we did the same with the sequel, and we were more disappointed. I am not even interested in the 3rd game. The universe and characters and basic story are interesting as hell, but the actual stages and gameplay fail to deliver for me. Especially in the face of other shooter series that surpassed Halo a while ago.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: