http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 06:25:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Console games you want to love but can't  (Read 3788 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2008, 09:56:08 AM »

This has probably been done before but I can't ever remember seeing it and anyways it probably needs updating anyways.  I'm going to me one for the PC forum as well because I've got a bunch for there as well!

Anyways here goes:

Dragon Quest 8- I'm just not hardcore enough for this game I guess.  As much as I love JRPG's there's only so much I can take.  I'm sure it's a good game-30 billion Japanese can't be wrong.  I just can't get into it.  The cell-shaded graphics don't help either.

Warhawk-Wow Battlefield 2 on a console! Doesn't quite work that way for me.  I think my lifetime score is about 3-140 and half the time I don't even know why I died or who killed me.  I can't get used to the controls and I can't help feeling that this type of game plays a lot better on the PC.
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 11:13:49 AM »

Dead Rising - I love zombies, I love malls, yet for some reason this game didn't click.

Unreal Tournament 3 - For some reason I love Unreal Tournament games to death for a week, and then lose all interest.

And I'll second Dragon Quest 8, too generic for it's own good.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 12:30:42 PM »

Ico, Dead Rising, Resident Evil (all of them but especially RE4) and Jade Empire come to mind pretty quickly for me.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 12:44:52 PM »

Ico & Shadow of the Colossus, the Shin Megami Tensai games, Culdcept, Rogue Galaxy, Burnout Paradise, most Zelda games, RE4.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 12:48:58 PM »

Sports and any game that is Japanese in style.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 01:32:21 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 21, 2008, 12:44:52 PM

Ico & Shadow of the Colossus

+Katamari Damacy(or whatever it's called), Beyond Good & Evil, GTA series

I'm the only person I know who doesn't like the the GTA series.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 01:36:46 PM »

I feel like I should love Mass Effect. I even read the prequel novel. But for some reason I can't bring myself to keep playing it.

Warhawk on the PS3 sounded like a great concept.  But I have grown to hate the gameplay so much that I traded it in to Gamestop last night.

All Zelda games since OoT.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 01:55:32 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 01:37:36 PM »

Dead Rising - I love zombies, I love malls, yet for some reason this game didn't click.
Couldn't agree more.  I also have no love for Mario Galaxies for some reason. Super Smash Bros. snuggles right next to that as well - I've just never really enjoyed the series.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 01:44:48 PM »

Gears of War: I'm a sucker for cover mechanics in games, but somehow this one fell REALLY flat for me. I haven't quit playing a game so quickly since Far Cry for the 360. It just boggles my mind why I'd need to shoot a bad guy 100 times to kill him.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 01:54:04 PM »

Quote from: Pong on February 21, 2008, 01:32:21 PM

I was never much of a fan of the series either. Haven't picked one up (or even thought about it) in years.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 02:00:30 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on February 21, 2008, 01:44:48 PM

Gears of War: I'm a sucker for cover mechanics in games, but somehow this one fell REALLY flat for me. I haven't quit playing a game so quickly since Far Cry for the 360. It just boggles my mind why I'd need to shoot a bad guy 100 times to kill him.

Sorry for the slight derail but your post reminded me of my latest pet peeve.  I have been playing Uncharted for the last few nights.  And if you think it's frustrating to have to hit an armored alien mutant with 20 bullets, just imagine taking 20 bullets to to kill a jungle thug in a tank top.  I love that Naughty Dog stole Gears' combat mechanics.  But that is one thing they should have changed.

Back to the thread topic....

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 02:02:48 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 21, 2008, 01:54:04 PM

I was never much of a fan of the series either. Haven't picked one up (or even thought about it) in years.

Same here.  I didn't include them on the list because they've never been a game I've particularly wanted to enjoy.  In fact, I can trace many of my most disliked gaming mechanics directly back to the GTA games.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 02:16:02 PM »

I wanted to love Mass Effect, but no.

Same for Assassin's Creed.  I so so wanted to love it.  No love for you, Dr. Jones!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 02:36:37 PM »

This isn't just consoles, but on any platform: RTS games.  I want to love them, because they look neat, but I just don't get them.
On consoles only, it would be fighting games.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 02:39:56 PM »

Zelda games.  Seriously, any Zelda game I just can't get into, going back to the NES one.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 02:50:26 PM »

Call Of Duty 4, Viva Pinata, MUA.

I so want to love them, but I just. don't. get. them.

Oblivion used to be on that list; putting some time into it changed it to something I _do_ love.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 03:34:17 PM »

GTA any number and version.

Halo 1 and 2. I never tried 3 but I can't imagine it's that much better.

Ico and Shadow of the Collosus.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 03:35:01 PM »

lair (had no problem with the sixaxis control, but really hated the mission-based setup)...

other than that, i'm with gratch's take on gta: the other games i don't play i don't particularly want to, anyway...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 03:50:38 PM »

Dead Rising - Great game paired with some outdated play mechanics, gave it several tries but frustration factor outweighed fun for me.
Rainbow Six Vegas - Loved earlier Rainbow Six games, love all Ghost Recon games. I think for me this one dropped too much of the tactical, and felt very arcade like with a story and levels I found dull.

16-bit and loving it!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 03:52:57 PM »

Final Fantasy and GTA.  FF I get about 8 hours into and tend to lose all interest, and with GTA it'll be up to the first 'chase the bad guy' mission before I call it quits.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 04:21:01 PM »

I wanted to love Battlestations Midway because ATB talked me into buying it.  Unfortunately it sucked and it made me angry at ATB.

I also wanted to love APF08 because everyone here talked me into buying it.  I love football, and there really is a lot about it to like.  Unfortunately, it's really not very good, but this time I was only angry at myself.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 04:21:26 PM »

I hate to say this, but KOTOR.  I played up through the first 2 planets and I just got kind of bored.  There just didn't seem to much to the gameplay.  You went into areas, talked to a few people to get a quest, did some fighting, and then moved on. Rinse, repeat.  I really want to go back to it at some point, but I don't feel very motivated.

Devil May Cry - I want to be good at games like this, but I'm just not.  The sword/gun combo stuff is very cool, but I couldn't even get past the first boss.  My Devil May Cry 5th anniversary box set is getting sold with 2 of the games still in the shrinkwrap.  As far as this type of game goes, I loved God of War, but DMC just doesn't work for me.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 04:53:01 PM »

RE4.  And I've tried, I have restarted soooo many times.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 05:55:33 PM »

Agreed, Eddie.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 12:48:20 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 21, 2008, 02:00:30 PM

Sorry for the slight derail but your post reminded me of my latest pet peeve.  I have been playing Uncharted for the last few nights.  And if you think it's frustrating to have to hit an armored alien mutant with 20 bullets, just imagine taking 20 bullets to to kill a jungle thug in a tank top.  I love that Naughty Dog stole Gears' combat mechanics.  But that is one thing they should have changed.

Back to the thread topic....
The reason I still like Uncharted is that it takes a few less bullets than GoW, and the shooting isn't the ONLY PART OF THE GAME. There's so much more that's fun.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 01:01:33 AM »

Okami - on paper it should be a home run for me: Zelda like adventure, great Japanese art style, quirky/unique game mechanics... but for some reason I've tried really hard to get into it 2-3 times now and always end up hating it.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 06:24:16 AM »

Dead Rising, Gears of War, Mario Galaxy. Not that I don't enjoy the games, but I didn't love them like everyone else seemed to.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 09:18:03 AM »

warhawk.  i like the flying alright, but i couldn't find time to devote to it.  i really should sell it
smt: nocturne.  like the idea of it more than the actual gameplay.  still have it and the guide on my shelf.
dmc.  i couldn't get the combat down to progress very far

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 01:47:07 PM »

Quote from: Dimmona on February 22, 2008, 01:01:33 AM

Okami - on paper it should be a home run for me: Zelda like adventure, great Japanese art style, quirky/unique game mechanics... but for some reason I've tried really hard to get into it 2-3 times now and always end up hating it.

It's the 20 minute intro. My god, I'm cool with a longish intro but this thing is just painful. By the time it was over I didn't want to play any more.

Those first few minutes of gameplay are really important to me.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 03:24:14 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 21, 2008, 02:02:48 PM

Quote from: Destructor on February 21, 2008, 01:54:04 PM

Same here.  I didn't include them on the list because they've never been a game I've particularly wanted to enjoy.  In fact, I can trace many of my most disliked gaming mechanics directly back to the GTA games.

I 'like' the GTA games. I like being able to run around and do whatever I want to whomever I want. I hate the storylines of them. I hate how clunky everything feels.

Crackdown took everything I liked in GTA and removed everything I hated.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2008, 05:17:59 PM »

i will go along with Warhawk as well.....i just cant begin to love it,even though its pretty much the kind of game that got me into online gaming(which was star wars battlefront...3rd person flying and ground fighting)

eternal sonata.....this really puzzles me,it has all the right things that i love in JRPGs,and i even dont mind the Chopin bio cutscenes and classical music stuff...but after one or two hrs,i got very bored with the game and in the end traded it...points still go to the title for looks and style

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2008, 05:31:46 PM »

Quote from: somoflange on February 22, 2008, 01:47:07 PM

Quote from: Dimmona on February 22, 2008, 01:01:33 AM

It's the 20 minute intro. My god, I'm cool with a longish intro but this thing is just painful. By the time it was over I didn't want to play any more.

Those first few minutes of gameplay are really important to me.

I completely agree.  I bought Okami for $12 from Gamestop just to see what all the buzz was about.   I never made it through the intro to actually play the game. It's still sitting on my shelf. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 06:14:13 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2008, 05:35:35 PM »

Castlevania - I wish I could get into this series but i just can't. Same with the first Metroid.
Shooters - I'm pretty sure it boils down to two things. I tend to not like twitch gaming and anything with a paper thin storyline. Granted there are exceptions.

The things that bugged me about Okami were the sounds used in place of voices and the inconsistent accuracy of the brush. Otherwise what I played of it I enjoyed.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2008, 05:39:34 PM »

I will agree with the GTA games.  I always buy them because of the hype and I like them at first, but a few hours in I just lose interest.  I've actually bought all of them at least once, and some of them multiple times, for multiple platforms.  Never finished any of them.  Now I find myself wanting to buy the PSP versions, although I never play my PSP.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2008, 06:00:40 PM »

So much Okami hate, it makes me sad :*(

TheMissingLink on PSN
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2008, 09:16:12 PM »

Gear of War...such a beautiful game, but I just hated how you had to empty an entire clip into an enemy and sometimes that still wasn't enough.  Quit the game on the first level and never went back.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2008, 09:24:12 PM »

Okami - Zelda clone that just kept dragging and dragging... gave up at 25 or so hours as I felt I was going nowhere fast.  Also hated how the combat worked.  Forcing me into a little arena and fighting a bunch of things that all look the same.  Not fun.  Looks fantastic though!

Gran Turismo - All I can say is, realistic driving sims aren't for me... no matter how nice they might look.

Halo 3 (Single player) - I seriously can't stand Halo anymore.  The last 3-4 levels of Halo 3 were terrible and it felt like a chore to finish.  Multiplayer on the other hand, I really enjoy.

Final Fantasy 7, 10 - I tried both of these as people were shitting their pants over them... pretty graphics but seriously long and boring cinematics.  I like to play my games, not watch them!

MGS 2 and 3 - Too much talking not enough playing.  I love MGS1 and really wanted to like 2 and 3.

Splinter Cell series - Picked up the second one after rave reviews and just couldn't get into it.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2008, 09:24:19 PM »

Quote from: The_Man on February 22, 2008, 09:16:12 PM

Gear of War...such a beautiful game, but I just hated how you had to empty an entire clip into an enemy and sometimes that still wasn't enough.  Quit the game on the first level and never went back.

So much Gears hate.  Makes me sad.   crybaby

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2008, 09:29:23 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 21, 2008, 01:37:36 PM

Couldn't agree more.  I also have no love for Mario Galaxies for some reason. Super Smash Bros. snuggles right next to that as well - I've just never really enjoyed the series.

Another for Dead Rising. Even though it was a game designed for a "western" audience I can still very much feel that I'm playing a game that was made by a Japanese developer, and so there are things that turn me off about it to the point I just stop playing it.

A big fan of Stealth action games but I just can't click with the MGS games. The basic concept is there but just about every design decision they make(Story, character, control, camera) I dislike. Played about 8-10 hours of MGS2 but only lasted a few with the last one. Maybe some of the changes they are making with 4 will make it so I can last all the way through.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 09:32:26 PM by Jumangi » Logged
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2008, 09:41:20 PM »

Dead Rising. The whole implementation was just screwed up, imo

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: