http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 08:41:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Considering a DS. Any RPG's on the way?  (Read 1824 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2005, 04:51:40 PM »

Against my better judgement, I'm seriously considering getting a DS system.  I've purhcased and sold 2 GBA's now as well as a PSP, but the DS is starting to intrigue me.  And for $150, it makes more sense to me that the overpriced PSP.  

At this point, I'm mainly picking it up to play the GBA RPG's I've missed out on like Final Fantasy:  Dawn of Souls, Rivera, Fire Emblem, and to replay one of my all time favorites:  FFTA.  I haven't followed the DS news much, so are there any RPG's on the horizon for the DS?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 05:23:07 PM »

I've heard of Lunar being released for DS.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 06:46:17 PM »

Mario & Luigi 2, Castlevania DS, and Lunar: Dragon Song are the  RPGs coming out before the end of the year. Trace Memory and Lost in Blue are also scheduled to be relased in 2005. These are adventuge games with some RPG-like exploration elements that may appeal to RPG fans as well.

Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center: Under the Knife aren't RPGs but the concepts are  so cool that you should take a look at those games as well.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 08:01:12 PM »

I picked one up with Mario 64 (came bundled), Bomberman DS, Final Fantasy I & II, and Reviera.  Should keep me busy for a while.

Funny how when the DS was released, I thought people would have to be insane to buy one with the PSP coming out.  Turns out, I sold my PSP due to lack of any good games, and will probalby be pretty happy with my DS.  I think think the DS feels cheap as hell, but mine won't really be a portable system (I'll really only play it at home), so I'm not too worried about it.

Let the old-school RPG goodness commence!  smile

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 12:17:31 AM »

Final Fantasy 3 is also in the works, though no release date has been mentioned.  A US release hasn't been confirmed, but it's pretty much a given.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 12:28:57 AM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
I picked one up with Mario 64 (came bundled), Bomberman DS, Final Fantasy I & II, and Reviera.  Should keep me busy for a while.

Funny how when the DS was released, I thought people would have to be insane to buy one with the PSP coming out.  Turns out, I sold my PSP due to lack of any good games, and will probalby be pretty happy with my DS.  I think think the DS feels cheap as hell, but mine won't really be a portable system (I'll really only play it at home), so I'm not too worried about it.

Let the old-school RPG goodness commence!  smile

Gratch - I did the exact same thing.  Had a PSP but sold it due to the lack of games coming out and how I didn't just want a portable "emulation machine."  Then I picked up a DS on a whim and I play it more than any other system now.  I've been playing Meteos, Riviera, Kirby Canvas Curse, Golden Sun, and more.

I also picked up the bundle with Mario but truthfully I haven't played much of it.  The control is just plain horrific.  If it takes me more than 5 times to jump up the tower thing in the third world or whatnot - when it was so easy in the N64 version - I really don't want to put out the effort to play through the game again.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 01:53:20 PM »

Just to get them all in one place:

Mario & Luigi 2
Lunar: Dragon Song
Final Fantasy 3
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Secret of Mana (not much known yet)
Baten Kaitos DS
Xenosaga DS
Mistwalker SRPG (title not yet know)

And you can bet there'll be a new Fire Emblem as well
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 02:01:09 PM »

When did Castlevania become an RPG?

<grumpyoldman>
I swear, kids these days, put anything even remotely connected to levels and items in a game and all of a sudden its an RPG
</grumpyoldman>
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 02:35:01 PM »

Quote from: "Belgedin"
Just to get them all in one place:

Final Fantasy 3
Secret of Mana (not much known yet)
Baten Kaitos DS
Xenosaga DS
Mistwalker SRPG (title not yet know)

And you can bet there'll be a new Fire Emblem as well

Sweet.  That justifies the purchase right there!

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 07:03:45 PM »

Quote from: "angrycoder"
When did Castlevania become an RPG?

<grumpyoldman>
I swear, kids these days, put anything even remotely connected to levels and items in a game and all of a sudden its an RPG
</grumpyoldman>

That's what I thought at first, but then he added the following:
"These are adventuge games with some RPG-like exploration elements that may appeal to RPG fans as well."

RPG elements with the leveling, stats, equipment, etc.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 07:14:03 PM »

The 2D Castlevanias are RPGs, without question. I don't see how this is even debatable.
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 07:58:33 PM »

It is very easily debatable, Castlevania shares far more with the action/platform genre than it does RPGs. SoTN and the GBA game's closest relative is Metroid.

I really think you'd be hard pressed to find people who consider metroid an RPG.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 08:11:04 PM »

Castlevania is essentially Metroid with RPG gameplay systems added. These elements are a core part of the game.  Hence, it's an RPG. The fact that it also has platforming as another  core gameplay element  is irrelevant.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 08:22:36 PM »

I don't really consider it an RPG either, but others here seemed to think so, and it really doesn't matter, does it?

I mean, I don't consider Xenosaga to be an RPG either slywink
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 08:32:08 PM »

I don't really consider it an RPG either, but others here seemed to think so, and it really doesn't matter, does it?

No, it doesn't matter, but I'm enjoying the discussion and would assume angrycoder is too.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2005, 10:32:56 PM »

Carry on.

Cool
Sterling
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2005, 02:40:52 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Castlevania is essentially Metroid with RPG gameplay systems added. These elements are a core part of the game.  Hence, it's an RPG. The fact that it also has platforming as another  core gameplay element  is irrelevant.

When you spend 80% of your time doing action/platforming, and 20% doing RPG stuff (if that much), I don't consider it an RPG.  It's an action/platform game, with some RPG stuff added in, but the focus is still clearly on the action side.
Sudy Nym
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2005, 03:37:45 PM »

I love being able to play all the great GBA games I've missed out on (though I wish I could play the GB and GBC ones, as well), as I've never owned a gameboy system. But I can't find a thing to play for the DS itself! I'm happy waiting, but the DS is starting to feel a little bit like the N64 to me with respect to its scant game library. I hope the dual screen thing isn't scaring developers away-- heck, I don't even care if they use the second screen. I just want to see some interesting games for a Nintendo handheld this powerful.

I might get the new Advance Wars game. And I've been looking at Meteos and Bomberman. But I just can't imagine spending a lot of time with a puzzler solo.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2005, 05:49:31 PM »

There have been a ton of DS rpgs announced, but we probably won't see some of them. However, I am optimistic being that the GBA was decent for Rpg style games.

As for other games, there are at least 10 games that are worth buying that are one their way by the end of this year. Very exciting times coming for the DS.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: