http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 07:54:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confused about multiple accounts on an XBox 360  (Read 8575 times)
animeshk
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2008, 11:53:35 PM »

When I first set up my XBox 360, I had one account on the box and it was set up with XBox Live Gold.  Fine.  Later, my kids created their own accounts.  Of course, these are local-only accounts.  Recently, my girlfriend put her own account on the XBox 360.  Again, it was local-only.  I am wondering two things . . .

First, a bunch of the games that I unlocked on my account are not unlocked on the other accounts!  Further, since those accounts don't have XBox Live, there doesn't seem to be any way to unlock them.  Is there a way around this?

Second, is the only way to set up XBox Live on multiple accounts (in order to play multiplayer games) . . . to buy a whole new $50/year XBox Live membership?  Is there a discount for multiple accounts on the same XBox 360?

Thanks!
pingwrx
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 12:14:07 AM »

Each xbox live account that you want to play online with you'll have to pay they have a few different options though you can pay month to month every 3 months or year to year. No discount for multiple accounts.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 12:27:52 AM »

Quote from: animeshk on October 05, 2008, 11:53:35 PM

When I first set up my XBox 360, I had one account on the box and it was set up with XBox Live Gold.  Fine.  Later, my kids created their own accounts.  Of course, these are local-only accounts.  Recently, my girlfriend put her own account on the XBox 360.  Again, it was local-only.  I am wondering two things . . .

First, a bunch of the games that I unlocked on my account are not unlocked on the other accounts!  Further, since those accounts don't have XBox Live, there doesn't seem to be any way to unlock them.  Is there a way around this?

Second, is the only way to set up XBox Live on multiple accounts (in order to play multiplayer games) . . . to buy a whole new $50/year XBox Live membership?  Is there a discount for multiple accounts on the same XBox 360?

Thanks!

If they want to play on Live without you being logged in, then yes, you have to pay each one.  Now the good news...a fair number of games allow for Guest players.  Someone with a valid live account logs in to play, then the others can log in as (Gamertag)[1], (Gamertag)[2] where your Gamertag will appear instead of your name.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 05:36:35 AM »

Well...all I can say is that it pisses me off royaly if unlocked XBLA games aren't available for local accounts, since I was explicitly told by XBLA support staff that they are. In fact, ealier this year when I was fighting with them to get a US points card coverted to Canadian points, they suggested I create another account with a US address as a possible solution. They did refer to it as a sliver account so maybe it's a different from a local account. Still they were adamant in insisting that any XBLA game I downloaded would be available for any account on my 360. Needless to say I wouldn't be surprised if I was BS'ed to.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 05:53:09 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on October 06, 2008, 05:36:35 AM

Well...all I can say is that it pisses me off royaly if unlocked XBLA games aren't available for local accounts, since I was explicitly told by XBLA support staff that they are.

Have you had to send in your 360 for repair as of late? Either that, or are you not signed in via the 'net all the time? I thought that no matter who you have signed in, as long as you're connected to the 'net it'll unlock anything you've purchased via any account.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 12:10:04 PM »

As long as the gold account is logged into Live.  Any silver accounts on the system should have access to the XBLA games.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 01:03:30 PM »

I'm not sure how I set it up, but my kids each have their own profile, and they are able to use anything I've purchased; though it has to be under my profile to actually buy something or do updates.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 02:53:31 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 06, 2008, 05:53:09 AM

Quote from: kronovan on October 06, 2008, 05:36:35 AM

Well...all I can say is that it pisses me off royaly if unlocked XBLA games aren't available for local accounts, since I was explicitly told by XBLA support staff that they are.

Have you had to send in your 360 for repair as of late? Either that, or are you not signed in via the 'net all the time? I thought that no matter who you have signed in, as long as you're connected to the 'net it'll unlock anything you've purchased via any account.

No I haven't even tried to play a XBLA game under any of my local profiles. When my kids play our arcade games they're always signed in under my account. The reason for being annoyed by this is that XBLA support suggested I go the silver/local account route with a relatives US address to avoid the beaurocratic process of having my US points converted to CDN points. It wasn't the option I took, mostly because using a false address smacked of being fraudulent, although in a minor way. It's good to hear it works as I have created a number of local account recently to help with NHL09 profiles.
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 04:26:13 PM »

All the arcade games that I have downloaded and paid for the full version are available for local only play to every account on my xbox regardless of the type of account.   The XBL games are licensed to the box they are sold to.   

Note that if the game is a multiplayer-live-only game, this is not the case (i.e Texas Hold-Em).  To play a multiplayer game over xbox live, you have to have at least 1 gold account signed in.

If you are not experiencing this behavior, something is up with your licensing and your box that needs to be fixed.

- shaggy

animeshk
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 08:19:11 PM »

Actually, here is my theory (some XBLA games work on local accounts and some don't) . . . if the local account existed when I unlocked the game, the game works with the local account.  If the game was unlocked before the account was created, the account goes in to "trial" mode.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 12:26:16 AM »

Quote from: animeshk on October 06, 2008, 08:19:11 PM

Actually, here is my theory (some XBLA games work on local accounts and some don't) . . . if the local account existed when I unlocked the game, the game works with the local account.  If the game was unlocked before the account was created, the account goes in to "trial" mode.

you should be able to get them working for all accounts by re-downloading them again...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 01:59:43 AM »

Here's the deal.

http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/

Once you've done the website thing, then go and recover your (gold) Live account.
Then go to Live Marketplace - Account management - prev. downloaded content (or somesuch nonsense).
Now go through that list and redownload anything you want. The DRM (digital rights management) key is then tied to your console for your downloads.
Oh, and if the downloads are already on the HDD, it will dl very quick and update the key so no need to pull everything back through the wire.

You should now be able to access ANY DRM locked content on that console EVEN IF YOU AREN'T SIGNED IN ... AT ALL.
Log everyone out, you should still be able to play unlocked arcade games etc.
That is the easiest test to see if this works.

Log out, go to games / my games / arcade and go to a game you've already paid for. When you select it, you should see achievements unlocked on the right as opposed to the "buy / trial" text.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 02:35:40 AM »

Quote from: Purge on October 07, 2008, 01:59:43 AM

A bunch of DRM stuff
He really shouldn't do this unless he's had to replace his 360, because he won't be able to do this again for at least a year and who knows if the system will go down...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 12:04:53 PM »

If your system goes down and you have a service call, MS will let you call them and they'll relink your account to the new console. Hell, they're supposed to do that automagically anyways.

Trust me, I just went through it (and I used the tool about 2 months ago; RIGHT before my 3rd replacement console started locking up and had to be replaced).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 11:11:17 PM »

My 360 crapped out, but it wasn't RROD related, so I'd have to pay for a fix.  Instead, I traded the old one for a new one at Costco.  I updated my account using the link below.  Everything seems fine for the most part.  However, Castle Crashers has reset my game.  I've lost everything.  Any idea what happened and how/if I can fix it?

Anyone else experience this?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 03:30:27 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: