http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 07:26:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confirmed: USB Storage for 360 in Spring Update  (Read 1665 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2010, 07:13:48 PM »

CNet

Game blog Joystiq has screens of what is says is an upcoming build of the Xbox 360 system software that will allow USB mass storage devices to serve as memory units.

The feature, which Joystiq says is due out in the next few months as part of the Spring system update, will turn any USB-based storage device--be it an external hard drive or a flash drive, to be formatted in sizes up to 16GB, which will work just as the Xbox 360 hard drive and memory units do. This includes allowing users to copy games to these devices, instead of having to spin up the 360's disc drive, as well as saving Live Arcade games, movies, and downloadable content.

Though according to Joystiq, users with a USB hub and a handful of cheap flash drives shouldn't get too excited, as the system limits the number of USB mass storage devices to just two. This means you can have two 16GB partitions handy, for a total of 32 extra gigabytes of storage on top of whatever hard drive you've got.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 02:48:25 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 07:15:39 PM »

Where's Destructor for comment?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 07:22:04 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 18, 2010, 07:15:39 PM

Where's Destructor for comment?

Where's Brendan with confirmation!!? 
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 07:26:35 PM »

That'd be "unemployed Brendan" you're thinking of.  I prefer to maintain the steady flow of incoming paychecks.  icon_smile
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 07:27:41 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 18, 2010, 07:26:35 PM

That'd be "unemployed Brendan" you're thinking of.

Hehe fair enough  icon_biggrin
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 07:28:15 PM »

be good if you could just stick a third party external 500 gig HDD onto the USB and have done with any storage problems,16gig X 2 is alright i supposed,still waiting for confirmation on 250gig HDD on its own

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 07:31:05 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 18, 2010, 07:28:15 PM

be good if you could just stick a third party external 500 gig HDD onto the USB and have done with any storage problems,16gig X 2 is alright i supposed,still waiting for confirmation on 250gig HDD on its own

Yeah, ho hum. 16GB isn't all that useful. I don't really want a stack of thumb drives next to my 360 holding my games.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »

But then MS wouldn't make a stupid amount of money overcharging people for their proprietary hard drives.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 07:37:17 PM »

Hmm... USB is a bit limiting in speed, but it should still be faster than the 16x DVD.  I'm thinking a small SSD in a USB HDD enclosure to install games to.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 07:45:37 PM »

we can spin this around... I'm in the camp that if it wasn't true, Brendan would tell us something similar.  By not commenting, he's confirming!  Can I have my gaming press badge now?  That seems to qualify me for IGN employment slywink
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 07:48:46 PM »

They should really tie this to a way to sign in your GamerTag as a secondary to another console.  Imagine being able to take a USB of your Rock Band DLC with you, hook it up to your buddy's machine, put in a guest secondary log-in that would be good for, say, 6 hours, and allow you to add your DLC into the machine for a Rock Band party.  You could have the validation server-side so there's nothing to hack, make it a limited time event, de-authorized by a log-out, system, shut-down, or the main console being logged in, etc.  

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 07:52:38 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 18, 2010, 07:45:37 PM

we can spin this around... I'm in the camp that if it wasn't true, Brendan would tell us something similar.  By not commenting, he's confirming!  Can I have my gaming press badge now?  That seems to qualify me for IGN employment slywink

That logic might work for kathode, but I don't work anywhere near the games group - even physically!  So, fortunately, I'm blissfully unaware of most goings-on.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 08:01:44 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 18, 2010, 07:31:05 PM

Yeah, ho hum. 16GB isn't all that useful. I don't really want a stack of thumb drives next to my 360 holding my games.

Since I'm still on a 20GB HD, I'd welcome the chance to add another 16.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 08:43:38 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 18, 2010, 07:52:38 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on March 18, 2010, 07:45:37 PM

we can spin this around... I'm in the camp that if it wasn't true, Brendan would tell us something similar.  By not commenting, he's confirming!  Can I have my gaming press badge now?  That seems to qualify me for IGN employment slywink

That logic might work for kathode, but I don't work anywhere near the games group - even physically!  So, fortunately, I'm blissfully unaware of most goings-on.

CONFIRMATION!!!! (You know, he keeps his thumb on the pulse of gaming... he's an addict) slywink Tongue \

PS. I'm kidding.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 09:05:02 PM »

My reaction upon seing this thread to finding out what was actually happening:   eek icon_biggrin nod disgust Roll Eyes icon_frown icon_mad finger

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 09:19:35 PM »

My reaction was similar.  Went from convinced that I could use an external drive of any size (if I ever fill up my 120) to realizing that I personally will likely never have a need for this new feature.  However, I'm sure there are some 20GB (Gratch) and Arcade owners who are much more the target demo for this feature. 

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 09:29:30 PM »

This will be very nice for Xbox Live Indie Games developers who would usually have to purchase a memory unit for testing. With this change we can test using just a regular thumbdrive or something similar, and most of us should have something like that.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 12:58:08 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 18, 2010, 08:01:44 PM

Agreed totally.

Also, if I could use one of my (many) portable/flash drives in my 360, I could do something like move the 1.2GB worth of Rock Band 1 songs on my HD off and then I could install two games at once to my tiny 20GB.

Definitely a good thing in the end, IMHO. Now I have no reason whatsoever to get a bigger drive.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 02:39:41 AM »

I really hope this is true.  My hard drive is usually full, and I have to make space every time I want to download a new demo.  Since I don't download movies, 16 more GB would be more than enough for me.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 02:44:33 AM »

Me too.  I've never filled the 20, but I figure it will happen some day.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 04:35:24 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on March 19, 2010, 02:39:41 AM

I really hope this is true.  My hard drive is usually full, and I have to make space every time I want to download a new demo.  Since I don't download movies, 16 more GB would be more than enough for me.

That is a great idea, put an install of rock band 2 and all of the songs on a usb key or hdd and just plug it in when you want to play.

I also hope we can put our gamer profiles and DLC on one of these and take it with us to a friends, that would definitely be helpful.  Even if not though, for us 20GB'ers adding 16GB more is pretty huge.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 07:01:48 AM »

Is there some sort of identifier for an USB drive? I mean, can you have say 10 16GB's USB sticks and just exchange them after whatever game you want to play? Or does the system recognize the individual USB drive and only allows 2 different ones?

A new one
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 01:39:26 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 19, 2010, 07:01:48 AM

Is there some sort of identifier for an USB drive? I mean, can you have say 10 16GB's USB sticks and just exchange them after whatever game you want to play? Or does the system recognize the individual USB drive and only allows 2 different ones?

I'm gonna say the first. You can only have two plugged in at any one time (even though the 360 has 3 USB ports), but I'm guessing there will be no upward limit.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 05:02:36 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on March 19, 2010, 02:44:33 AM

Me too.  I've never filled the 20, but I figure it will happen some day.

You won't on the three-siddy... you only get 11GB of that 20GB drive anyways.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kemper Boyd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »

The coolest part of this is that it could make the arcade a much more viable system for MS. Drop the price a little more, include a 2GB (or lower) USB drive with the system - just to give noobs the idea - and then have a ton of XBLA and DLC customers where they can really make some money.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 07:09:47 PM »

If they did what Nintendo did with SD cards -allowed you to play XBLA games off of a USB storage device- that would be awesome. I typically only have 1 game on the go right now, so I only ever really need have 1 game at a time ripped to the HD. If they allowed me to store XBLA's on a USB drive, I could make do nicely with my 20GB.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 02:47:09 PM »

I'm stealing denoginizer's link.

On April 6th, we will be releasing a system update over Xbox LIVE for your Xbox 360 that will allow USB flash drives to be used for storing profiles, game saves, demos and more.  Iíve been testing this feature out for a few weeks, and I have to say itís really great. Once you take the system update on April 6th, youíll be able to connect your USB flash drives to your console and head over to the memory section to configure your new storage device. Once you do that, the system will conduct a one time performance and integrity check to confirm the drive is working properly. You will then be able to configure how much storage to use on the device, up to 16 GB. The remaining space on the flash drive will be accessible by your PC or Mac.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 02:57:05 PM »

It is, in fact, pretty great - I moved my profile to one of the million USB keys I had lying around the house, and it handled it seamlessly.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 03:54:46 PM »

You will then be able to configure how much storage to use on the device, up to 16 GB. The remaining space on the flash drive will be accessible by your PC or Mac.

At first I was sad that it was limited to 16GB, but now that I know you can partition a device I'm happy. I can use my 32GB drive. biggrin OK, I don't know what I would actually use it for... but I can use it!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to ďholy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?Ē
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2010, 12:00:02 PM »

This probably probably coincides with MS making a new slim SKU for the 360. Going with a cheap USB storage solution such as the a flash drive in the box allows for extra cost cutting. We might see an arcade sku go as low as $170
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2010, 02:22:21 PM »

What I really want from this - what I hope you can do - is take a USB Keydrive and use it as a memory unit for playing MP3s on the xbox. IMO the most underrated feature of the xbox is the ability to load music on the machine and replace most games soundtrack with your own songs. It made Borderlands a good deal more fun since I was blowing stuff up to Radiohead and Muse.

However, I no longer buy CDs so getting music loaded onto the xbox is a challenge. There might be an easier way that I'm not aware of but I found the media center integration stopped working when you started a game.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2010, 06:11:34 PM »

I can hook my Sansa Fuze up to the 360 via a USB cable and access the music from there.  I haven't tried it in-game but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2010, 06:34:44 PM »

Sweet, SSD on my xbox here I come!
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2010, 06:39:27 PM »

Quote from: warning on March 27, 2010, 06:11:34 PM

I can hook my Sansa Fuze up to the 360 via a USB cable and access the music from there.  I haven't tried it in-game but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I don't have a portable MP3 player...

What I tried to do was plug a USB hard drive (granted it was 500GB) and see if I could copy music off it. I couldn't.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2010, 08:09:14 PM »

it annoys me to no end that they limit the partition size to 16gb.  i have several unused portable hd and there's no way in hell i'm going to bother setting up 16 separate partitions just to get the full use of a 250 drive. 

this replaces the mem card, and for that it's good, but still a damn stupid limit and totally useless for most people.

yeah, i know it's so they don't lose the sweet insane markup of their retail drives, but i can't be happy for such a nerfed feature.

Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 09:45:52 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 26, 2010, 02:47:09 PM

I'm stealing denoginizer's link.

On April 6th, we will be releasing a system update over Xbox LIVE for your Xbox 360 that will allow USB flash drives to be used for storing profiles, game saves, demos and more.  Iíve been testing this feature out for a few weeks, and I have to say itís really great. Once you take the system update on April 6th, youíll be able to connect your USB flash drives to your console and head over to the memory section to configure your new storage device. Once you do that, the system will conduct a one time performance and integrity check to confirm the drive is working properly. You will then be able to configure how much storage to use on the device, up to 16 GB. The remaining space on the flash drive will be accessible by your PC or Mac.

Only 16 GB extra storage? frown
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2010, 01:00:05 PM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on March 30, 2010, 09:45:52 AM

Only 16 GB extra storage? frown

x2
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2010, 01:15:25 PM »

http://kotaku.com/5505029/rumor-xbox-360s-usb-flash-drives-are-yes-expensive

A pair of listings on retail site GameStop indicate that Microsoft's first-party flash drive offerings are running a little on the costly side. An 8GB stick is listed at $40, while a 16GB stick is priced at $70. That's almost twice the price of standard USB flash drives of similar size.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010, 02:03:58 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 30, 2010, 01:15:25 PM

A pair of listings on retail site GameStop indicate that Microsoft's first-party flash drive offerings are running a little on the costly side. An 8GB stick is listed at $40, while a 16GB stick is priced at $70. That's almost twice the price of standard USB flash drives of similar size.

Shocking! slywink
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 02:11:25 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 30, 2010, 02:03:58 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 30, 2010, 01:15:25 PM

Shocking! slywink

Seriously, is anybody surprised that Microsoft is overcharging for this too? I sure as heck am not.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: