http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 02:06:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confessions of an Xbox One addict  (Read 565 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2014, 09:38:12 PM »

So, as some of you may know, I ended up purchasing an XB1 at launch and ended up returning it shortly after for a variety of reasons (primarily though due to the UI and Kinect nonsense). Fast forward a couple of months and I am able to score an XB1 w/Kinect and Titanfall for $429. At that price I figured I could stomach the Kinect.

Anyway, ever since then my XB1 has been constantly on and my PS4 has been silently crying under the TV. I was so wrong about the XB1. This thing is really incredible. I LOVE that they are doing monthly feature updates for the OS. Sony needs to get with the program here. The UI has gone from being an absolute mess, IMO, to being quite impressive. It's easy to find what you are looking for now. Well done, MS.

Now the games, my god the games. I have played more: Plants vs Zombies, Ryse, Titanfall and Dead Rising 3 then anything on the PS4, ever. I really have barely touched my PS4 in the last two months and never played it like this.

I guess what I am trying to say is: I'm sorry, MS for hating on the XB1 before launch. It really is something special. smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 10:20:31 PM »

Who are you and what have you done with our Hetz?

Serious note, I'm glad that the UI is improved.  I have no interest in Ryse or the current crop of exclusives and only mild interest in DR3, otherwise I might find myself in the same boat you were in. 

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 10:25:41 PM »

Did Hetz leave his computer on with the GT page open?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 11:14:20 PM »

Errr while I use the XB1 pretty much daily as my entertainment hub central, I am curious what the UI improvements have been.  I honestly haven't noticed much difference since day one.  In fact now I have more trouble finding the Youtube app than I used to, even if I had just used it the night before.  I'm having more trouble getting it to respond to my voice, and more often than not the play/pause interface stuff will pop up out of the blue. 

The biggest user impact for me since release was actually the multimedia remote, which is fairly decent but still ultimately a disappointment.  Why didn't they include provisions for the 4 color buttons?  Since some apps like Netflix use, for instance, the Y button to search, I actually have to grab the game controller for that.  Ugh!

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 12:21:24 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on July 01, 2014, 11:14:20 PM

Errr while I use the XB1 pretty much daily as my entertainment hub central, I am curious what the UI improvements have been.  I honestly haven't noticed much difference since day one.  In fact now I have more trouble finding the Youtube app than I used to, even if I had just used it the night before.  I'm having more trouble getting it to respond to my voice, and more often than not the play/pause interface stuff will pop up out of the blue. 

The biggest user impact for me since release was actually the multimedia remote, which is fairly decent but still ultimately a disappointment.  Why didn't they include provisions for the 4 color buttons?  Since some apps like Netflix use, for instance, the Y button to search, I actually have to grab the game controller for that.  Ugh!

The things that I actually have seen improved on the UI, since the launch: being able to rearrange your pins (a godsend and what the heck is taking Sony so long to let me do the same) friend online notifications, the Store is much easier to navigate, battery life indicator, showing how much you have left on the HDD, being able to uninstall parts of apps/games and lots of other smaller things. Granted, much should have been there at launch...but this is a much improved OS/UI than was shipped. Also, I can look forward to monthly updates to make it even better...like the new snapping for Achievements. Pretty cool!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 02:14:02 AM »

Wish I could muster love for the system like you do,  Hetz. It's basically been a BF4 box that I use to watch amazon and netflix.

Haven't tried Ryse, though...
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 03:35:14 AM »

I've been pleasantly surprised that I've split my time about evenly between the XB1 and the PS4. The XB1 is my entertainment hub, but I've also played a lot of its exclusives and it's the platform I'll buy any multiplayer games for.

The PS4 is my go-to cross-platform gaming machine for single player titles and indie stuff.

Each has their pros and cons, but I think both consoles are awesome and I'm glad I went all in and decided to invest in both of them.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 04:25:34 PM »

There's no way Hetz wrote that post, is it possible Ceekay hacked into his account and has assumed Hetz's identity? Ron can you look into that?

Seriously though I think it's awesome that this console Generation is off to such a good start. I literally have a new game to play every week and I only own the PS4. Ubisoft alone has released a bunch of good games for both the PS4 and Xbone. This year alone I beat ACIV, Child of Light,  I just beat Valiant Hearts (which came out of left field for me) and I just bought Watch Dogs. That's just the games from Ubisoft. Once you get into exclusives and indie titles you can literally play a great new game every week if you want. Heck I still haven't bought Transistor. Also Sunset Overdrive may be the game that gets me to buy an Xbone.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 07:40:50 PM »

I use my XBO to watch TV and to easily turn on my TV and receiver if I want to play games (which I rarely do on the XBO) on the PS4 and Wii U.  I definitely think the UI has improved over time and the voice commands have gotten better.  I still have issues with resuming games that have been put on standby.  Dead Rising 3 seems to be the biggest offender and if I leave that game to do something else or put the console in standby and resume, I pretty much always have to quit out of the game and launch it fresh.  I have a feeling these issues with resume are why Sony has yet to release theirs.  They probably can't get it to work consistently from standby and therefore aren't putting it out.

I will play more games on XBO when some better games come out.  Titanfall didn't grab me and I thought I'd play more Plants vs. Zombies, but I don't.  I bought Dead Rising 3 and Forza at launch and I've barely played Forza and took a long break from Dead Rising, though I have played it a little recently.  Honestly, I bought the console for the TV integration for my family and for the Below game from Capy, so still waiting on Below.  I think the next major release I will buy is maybe Forza Horizon 2 and if not that, then Fantasia.  There were some interesting XBO Indies coming, but not sure when.  PS4 will continue to be my multiplatform release system.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 10:24:39 PM »

I'd still love to play Killer Instinct and Forza, but not having a fight stick and steering wheel are killing the desire.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 07:20:49 PM »

Didn't really give a shit about either, nothing has happened in the last seven months to change that.  The only XBone game I really wanted, Dead Rising 3, is now coming to PC.  PS4 hasn't impressed either, but my assumption is when I do buy a new console it will probably be first.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade though, just a personal preference.  Glad to hear most are getting their money's worth.  I have no doubt that eventually I'll end up with both, just probably won't be any time soon.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: