http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 11:26:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conan demo on Live  (Read 1292 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 08, 2007, 11:36:50 AM »

The demo for the soon-to-be-released Conan action game is now available in the Live Marketplace.  For those who don't know, this is a violent action-adventure game in a similar vein as God of War, based off Robert E. Howard's Conan books and Frank Frazetta's artwork.  It's developed by Nihilistic Software.

Demo is 484 MB, impressions after I get it downloaded and play it. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 12:38:15 PM »

Well it was a short demo that can be completed in 10-15 minutes.  It's quite a bit like God of War -- with the red and green orbs even -- but for some reason I find this a little more appealing.  I have to admit I got bored with the first God of War pretty quickly.  The combat here was smoother than I expected and I could see myself actually trying to use combos and such.  I had trouble blocking or doing the quick parry thing, though.

There is violence aplenty with de-limbing, beheadings, and guys getting stuck on spikes, so keep the young'uns away.  One thing I liked was that you can pick up the weapon of any fallen enemy.  Dual wield a couple smaller swords or grab one of the huge two-handers.  I'm expecting many more types of weapons in the full game.  You can also throw barrels at guys or just grab them and slam them to the ground like a sack of potatoes. 

Of course Ron Perlman voicing Conan helps.  smile

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 12:58:52 PM »

Is this the same game that was supposed to be a MMORPG or is it a completely different game?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 01:03:05 PM »

Different game.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 02:35:20 PM »

Ooh, I'll be downloading this when I get home!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 02:45:12 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 08, 2007, 02:35:20 PM

Ooh, I'll be downloading this when I get home!

+1.  I look forward to hearing plenty of lamentations later on!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 03:43:26 AM »

I think this will be a fun game, if it can sustain the momentum through the whole campaign.  These things do tend to fall into a repetitious loop quickly.

One thing I especially liked is the scripting.  It seems to capture the Conan feel more than I would have expected.  Anyone know who's doing the writing?  Is it Kurt Busiek, by chance?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 05:54:10 AM »

that was kind of fun.  The graphics kind of bothered me though, with all the shimmering shadows.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 06:06:55 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 09, 2007, 05:54:10 AM

that was kind of fun.  The graphics kind of bothered me though, with all the shimmering shadows.

I wasn't a big fan of the voice for Conan either.  I was looking forward to this game, but the demo feels meh to me.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 09:32:34 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 09, 2007, 06:06:55 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 09, 2007, 05:54:10 AM

I wasn't a big fan of the voice for Conan either.  I was looking forward to this game, but the demo feels meh to me.
So when I first started playing this game I didn't like it. Thought the combat was meh, graphics were meh, voice acting was awful and the dialogue would make even the original Conan movies seem like good writing in comparison. The more I played the demo though the more I thought the combat system was pretty decent and the game wasn't that bad. I still wouldn't do more than rent it-but really not too shabby.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 10:58:59 AM »

I wouldn't rent this for my worse enemy.....The gameplay feels like the day before yesterday.

The voice acting was terrible and the script writing cheesy at best...........

Don't buy this. Someone has to tell these guys to stop making these games!

Grace: Unmerited favor.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 02:46:04 PM »

I was kind of disappointed in the gore factor- I was expecting more than what they showed.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 03:18:41 PM »

I am suprised by the complaints on the voice acting.  I think Ron Perlman is perfect for Conan.  I thought the female voice was good, too.  And the script is very Conan-esque, IMO.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 03:33:54 PM »

I kept trying to do combos also and I couldn't get the button presses down just right.  Maybe I just suck.  It became a button mash fest quite quickly for me.

Also, what's up with that camera?  Was there really no way to control which way it points?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 03:47:37 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 09, 2007, 03:33:54 PM

Also, what's up with that camera?  Was there really no way to control which way it points?

it doesn't look like it.  I kept wanting to swing it around out of instinct and would end up rolling away.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 07:21:01 PM »

You guys are pretty harsh on this one.  I went in with pretty low expectations and was pleasantly surprised by a fun action game.  I don't think I would buy it at full price right now, but certainly rent it or buy cheaper when things slow down. 

Yeah, the camera is stuck in place and that kind of annoys me, similar to God of War and such.  I also noticed the shimmering shadows on the close-up scenes, but that's not a huge deal to me and something that could potentially be smoothed out.

I kept trying to do combos also and I couldn't get the button presses down just right.  Maybe I just suck.  It became a button mash fest quite quickly for me.

I was able to pull off a few combos by doing X, X, Y and such, but if you look in the menu you can see that you buy/upgrade to more combos using the red orbs (once again, like in God of War) so I think it would gain some more depth over time.  I also had a couple situations where a big button would show up over an enemy's head, and I think it was for a finishing move but I never hit the right one so I didn't get to see. 

CSL

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 11:02:41 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 09, 2007, 07:21:01 PM

I was able to pull off a few combos by doing X, X, Y and such, but if you look in the menu you can see that you buy/upgrade to more combos using the red orbs (once again, like in God of War) so I think it would gain some more depth over time.  I also had a couple situations where a big button would show up over an enemy's head, and I think it was for a finishing move but I never hit the right one so I didn't get to see. 

It is a finishing move. I actually sliced one guy in half from the head down.

Had some great fun, but I wish the demo had been a bit longer. I'd look at getting this when its a bit cheaper than full price.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 12:25:27 AM »

pretty boring and uninspired - maybe if the full game has some great set piece moments and scripting it will be okay but really it did nothing for me - OUT!

oh - and for about 30 seconds i was excited as all hell thinking this was going to be the mmorpg and it would be out soon!  nope, sorry (that said if the rpg is anything like this it looks like ill be saving myself some monthly fees - different developer right? please???)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: