http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 10:13:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer Gaming World no longer??  (Read 2302 times)
Jimmy the Fish
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2006, 06:46:54 PM »

Well this came out of nowhere:

http://www.ziffdavis.com/press/releases/060802.0.html

CGW magazine will become "Games for Windows: The Official Magazine". According to Jeff Green over on the QT3 boards, it's just a name change with no change in editorial direction, content or review policy. We'll see how long that statement remains true.

Damn, I know it's "only" supposed to be a name change of the magazine, but I grew up with CGW. It doesn't seem right to change it to something as lame as "Games for Windows", or GfW(??).
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 07:01:40 PM »

Isn't ZD owned by Microsoft? I guess they want  to increase Windows Vista's presence as a gaming platform by giving it its own magazine. Makes sense I guess. Xbox, Nintendo, etc, all have their own "official" magazines.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 07:07:37 PM »

Quote from: "Old Negus"
Isn't ZD owned by Microsoft?

I don't think so - I can't google any information linking the two.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 07:29:31 PM »

Google more, young one. And isn't PC gaming dying anyway?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 07:53:56 PM »

Ziff Davis is an independent publishing company. While I'll miss the CGW name I'm actually going to take this as a positive. With what MS is trying to do with Vista and games, the Live anywhere, and now this magazine naming deal they do seem to be backing up their claim of taking PC gaming more seriously.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 08:08:58 PM »

As long as my free subscription keeps coming I'll check it out.

Games for Windows.  Wow, there is a stellar title that screams "grab me!" from the rack.  The idea of a relaunch might not be a bad one, but what genius came up with this title?  Is there already a mag called Generic Gamer Magazine?  This is the next best thing.  Woohoo!

But hey, I get it free so who cares...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 08:43:57 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
As long as my free subscription keeps coming I'll check it out.

Same here. biggrin

Thank you GT for giving me lots of magazines to read while on the can.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 09:15:48 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Google more, young one.

Very well...

http://www.willisstein.com/current.htm#ZiffDavis

Looks like they're owned by an investment fim called Willis Stein & Partners.  

The confusion might come from the fact that former Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen bought ZD's TV branch (renamed to TechTV) several years ago, but later sold it to Comcast. But that was his own personal interests, and was separate from Microsoft Co.  Either way, Microsoft has never had any controlling interest in Ziff-Davis that I can tell.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 09:24:37 PM »

I started getting CGW way back in the late 80s or early 90s. Changing the name is lame. Its just a first move in the change of format wait and see.

My bet is they change the name then slowly change the format then in under 2 years it will be gone completely.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 10:19:09 PM »

That sounds like a magazine I would've bought in 1991. "Games for Windows"? What kind of crap is that?

edit: Actually I wouldn't have bought it, even in 1991. Good thing I get the magazine for free.  :wink:
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 10:37:31 PM »

You know, I don't doubt Jeff Green's word that nothing other than the title will change, but for me, it's still a sad day because I've been reading CGW since it practically started back in the early 80's (yeah, I'm that old). For better or worse, the Computer Gaming World name MEANT something to me. There's a lot of good memories with CGW. I loved reading every bit of it cover to cover and I knew that the CGW name meant quality coverage of computer gaming. Sure, in the last 5-7 years thing have kind of fallen off due to internet coverage of gaming, but there's a part of CGW there that still feels like it did years ago. Compare it to the obnoxious PC Gamer and it's no comparison to me. And with a name like Gaming for Windows: THE OFFICIAL MAGAZINE, there will always be the stigma that they are somehow being swayed by Microsoft in their reviews and editorials. Green says they won't, but we'll see how long that lasts.

I'll give the newly named mag a chance. It's still supposed to have the same crew doing the writing, but it's not going to be the same to me anymore. With the name change, it is no longer the old friend that I enjoyed spending time with every month. Now it's like every other generic magazine that I'll eventually stop subscribing to.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 10:50:19 PM »

Judging by their letters section it seems like a lot of people were upset about the lack of star ratings.  I like the move myself, but I wonder if they will stick with it.  They can use the name change as an excuse to return to the old reviews.  That and they could stand to lose the Tech Insider stuff or whatever it's called.  That section just seems tacked on.  While the idea of reading a magazine seems a little out-dated in its own right, a section of hardware news and tips sounds even worse.  I can hardly believe people would wait a month or more to have their "why is my computer busted?" letter printed and then so tersely replied to.

I enjoy reading Tom vs Bruce.  "Let's slay some orc!"

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 10:56:21 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"

The confusion might come from the fact that former Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen bought ZD's TV branch (renamed to TechTV) several years ago, but later sold it to Comcast. But that was his own personal interests, and was separate from Microsoft Co.  Either way, Microsoft has never had any controlling interest in Ziff-Davis that I can tell.

Ah ha! That's exactly it. I remember watching The Screen Savers or something when that was mentioned. So I always just thought of ZD as a part of Microsoft.

BTW, I reallly miss that old network. The Screen Savers and Silicon Spin were a couple of my can't miss shows. Too bad ZDTV/TechTV couldn't last longer than it did.  frown
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 01:37:16 AM »

Since I get it for free also, I'm indifferent towards the change.

However, from my marketing eye, the new name is terrible.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 03:02:47 AM »

I think they really missed the boat in not using "Multimedia" in the title...  :wink:

What a load of crap.  But as it has been mentioned, at least it's free crap.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 04:51:33 AM »

In order of love I go with...

Tom vs Bruce
Greenspeak
Tech
Reviews / Previews

I would settle for a whole magazine devoted to Tom vs Bruce alternating pages with Greenspeak.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 05:00:21 AM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
I think they really missed the boat in not using "Multimedia" in the title...  :wink:

No no no... They should've called Super Hyper Games for Windows: Special Championship Edition. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 12:49:58 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Judging by their letters section it seems like a lot of people were upset about the lack of star ratings.  I like the move myself, but I wonder if they will stick with it.

Their lack of ratings really seems pointless since every review shows what other sites rated the games (and they often refer to other ratings in the text of the review). Sort of defeats the point of making the reader, you know, actually read the review.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 02:19:29 PM »

I just look at the pictures since I cant read. I have a lady that types all this for me. She cant type or spell very good though. Ouch she just slapped me. Now Im looking at her in shock. She is rolling her eyes. I am sighing heavily.....

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 06:30:30 PM »

Ya, will miss the CGW name but ah well. I'll roll with it as they're trying new things. Although I do hope they quickly roll past the review style where they quote other reviewers within the game review; I don't care with IGN's or whatever reviewer thinks of the game - if I did I'd read it.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 10:25:22 PM »

Quote from: "Crawley"
Although I do hope they quickly roll past the review style where they quote other reviewers within the game review

yeah, what's up with this??  it's laziness.  and it seems to manifest as

"So-and-so from gaming-website said 'Blah blah blah' regarding such-and-such about the game, and I happen to agree with that."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2006, 11:07:41 PM »

Quote from: "Crawley"
Ya, will miss the CGW name but ah well. I'll roll with it as they're trying new things. Although I do hope they quickly roll past the review style where they quote other reviewers within the game review; I don't care with IGN's or whatever reviewer thinks of the game - if I did I'd read it.

No doubt.  I believe that Ziff owns 1up, so I imagine we'll see a lot more of "1up said..." stuff. :/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2006, 02:13:57 PM »

Tom vs Bruce

The Tom vs Bruce stuff is great.  I always end up feeling sorry for Bruce at the end though ;-).

---
XBox Live: ScottW
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2006, 03:55:35 PM »

Any time I see the word *Official* in the magazine, I automatically assume it is a shill publication.  If it is Official Windows, then it is a Windows mouth piece.

Sure the Mac or Linux gaming community is small but why alienate them?  I don't see the benefit of that.

I honestly don't think that the name change will increase sales much at all-I think it will hurt. But I have heard that the content is supposed to stay basically the same...hah, we shall see.

I suppose we still have PCGamer.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2006, 04:30:53 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"

No... no...

Xtreme Games For Windows!

This is all part of Microsoft gearing up for Windows Vista.  They want to push Windows Vista as a separate gaming platform similar to Xbox.  There's an official Xbox magazine and now there's an official Games for Windows (Xtreme!) magazine.  It's cool that they are keeping everything the same of course but only time will tell if it stays that way.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2006, 04:52:08 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
Tom vs Bruce

The Tom vs Bruce stuff is great.  I always end up feeling sorry for Bruce at the end though ;-).

Yeah...love Tom vs Bruce smile
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2006, 07:47:02 PM »

Huge thread at Quarter to Three about this, with the actual editor of the magazine I think, and Microsoft's head Windows PR guy it appears.  Pretty interesting.  Besides the name, the only big thing that is going to change is that the magazine's distribution will greatly increase.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2006, 05:45:45 AM »

I've been a CGW reader since the late 80's myself. I will miss that name but if that's all they change, I'll be happy.

But surely they could have come up with something better than that?!

BTW, I'm sure you all have heard that Computer Games Magazine is launching a new mag just for MMORPGs.

They're calling it "Massive" (really).

That just kills me every time I hear it.   :lol:

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2006, 08:32:48 PM »

Quote from: "phormio"
BTW, I'm sure you all have heard that Computer Games Magazine is launching a new mag just for MMORPGs.

They're calling it "Massive" (really).

That just kills me every time I hear it.   :lol:

slogan: I'm huge.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: