http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 03:01:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Company of Heroes - Specific Mission Strategies (Spoilers!)  (Read 2209 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 17, 2006, 08:38:59 AM »

Got a new thread going to segregate the impressions from the spoilers. 

I'm....

Spoiler for Hiden:
Wondering how the hell to take that Hill in under 50 minutes.  If I take my time I can crush it, but under 50 minutes means an almost wreckless charge.  Strategeries anyone?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 08:52:56 AM »

Mortars with smoke cannisters?  I don't have the retail game so I don't know what you have available, but from the MP game, I've found that in order to get infantry up to a viable attack position, using the smoke cannisters from mortars drastically reduces the amount of fire a unit will take on the way there.  Then, the said unit can use grenades, satchels, stickies.  If a bunker is the problem, run engineers past in the smoke and use their demolition charge ability to quickly blow it up and move forward.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 11:07:05 AM »

I don't have an answer but I just wanted to say this thread is an excellent idea as I have been contemplating looking up FAQs myself.  I'll be back as soon as figure how to describe where I am stuck.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 10:36:24 PM »

How do you inflict 250 casualties on the Axis in the Defend Caratan mission?  I killed every Axis I could find on the map, saving 1 tank for last, and only got 186.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 12:46:04 AM »

Quote from: olaf on September 17, 2006, 10:36:24 PM

How do you inflict 250 casualties on the Axis in the Defend Caratan mission?  I killed every Axis I could find on the map, saving 1 tank for last, and only got 186.

Honestly? Kill them faster.  I built rock solid defenses on the two side bridges and then played kinda fast and loose with my defenses in the center.  As they crossed the bridge, I ripped em up.  Like some kinda Nazi funnel.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 09:52:27 AM »

You got questions...I got answers.   Got a lil further into the game tonight...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 03:59:33 PM »

Still it seems kind of stupid they just stop spawning.  Also I did what I was supposed to do, I held the fuck out of those bridges.  I have read in some other places that defending the North resource points is the easiest way to get the kill medal.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 11:10:43 PM »

I did run out and cap those points and tried to hold them, so perhaps that is a factor.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 04:12:56 PM »

I've been unable to get those 250 kills on the Carantan Counterattack mission also.  I must have tried ten times by now.  I think I got about 200 yesterday, but that's still pretty far short.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 04:34:07 PM »

I got 250 kills pretty easy on my first try, not sure why people's mileage varies so much.

I never sent anything across the bridges, never tried to cap the points north of the river, and I didn't fall back to the church when they told me to.

My defenses were nothing fancy, I started with one AT gun at each bridge, with a 4th gun in between the two rightmost bridges to move back and forth depending on which had more action.  Each position had one machine gun team, and a paratrooper team with bazookas.  Other than that, I had a machine gun nest at each bridge, and some mines behind the lines on the way to the HQ to nab any vehicles that blew past my defense.

Oh, I did make sure and nab 2-3 MG42s and panzershreck/faust (not sure) that were laying around the start point, maybe that's what helped increase the kill rate?
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 04:59:36 PM »

Just to be clear, we are talking release version (not demo), correct, and normal difficulty level?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 05:03:23 PM »

I'm playing the retail version and didn't alter the difficulty when I started my campaign.  Does it default to Normal or Easy?
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 07:29:22 PM »

Normal, I'm pretty sure.  Now I am upset.  I must have played that mission over and over for 3 or 4 hours last night.  I tried setting up ambushes across the river.  I tried defending the supply points.  I tried the "Nazi funnel" strategy.  I tried everything.  Couldn't kill more than 200 jerries.

Where are those MGs that are supposedly near the start point?  I found the AT guns, but can't find the MGs.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 07:45:58 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 08:18:45 PM »

I'm pretty sure I found the MG42s a short ways down and to the left of the top HQ.  At least one of them was right on top of a panzershreck, so unless I moused over a certain part of the MG42 the panzershrek name would appear instead.  Make sure you look carefully.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 05:39:06 PM »

Uhm.....wow, just played a REALLY hard mission.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Defend Hill 300something as well as the adjacent town.  It came down to almost completely losing the hill at the 50 second mark before the Axis turned tail.  I was raining arty on top of my own people to keep them alive, hoping more of them die than us!  TOUGH mission!

The medal was really easy to get, if you planned ahead though. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 08:51:18 PM »

Hey, and another thing, do you guys build those fixed MG emplacements?  Or are they just artillery targets?

Gamertag = IkeV
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 09:36:06 PM »

The fixed MGs are awesome in the campaign because they do not count against the population cap.  I generally do not build them before I hit that cap though.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 10:40:58 PM »

Quote from: olaf on September 20, 2006, 09:36:06 PM

The fixed MGs are awesome in the campaign because they do not count against the population cap.  I generally do not build them before I hit that cap though.

Me on the other hand, I build them LOOOONG before I get anywhere NEAR the cap.  Those are almost the first things I build.  Very useful.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 03:28:44 AM »

I want to know what is  the strategy used to win in skirmish mode. I cant bet the com. on normal for nothing. I even tried the capture all gas points strategy to know avail. the comp some how still rains out tanks.
What do I do.
Oh and they sniper is a pain in the ass.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 12:46:02 PM »

Are you playing victory point or annihilation games?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2006, 01:02:56 PM »

Oh and they sniper is a pain in the ass.

Crocodiles for the win.  Nothing says "I'm sick of you" like raining flaming death on somebody's building. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2006, 01:49:00 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf
Normal, I'm pretty sure.  Now I am upset.  I must have played that mission over and over for 3 or 4 hours last night.  I tried setting up ambushes across the river.  I tried defending the supply points.  I tried the "Nazi funnel" strategy.  I tried everything.  Couldn't kill more than 200 jerries.

I was having a lot of trouble earning that medal, too.  Here is the strategy I used:

Spoiler for Hiden:
1) Most of the Axis troops approach from the most northern corner of the map, so I laced the initial approach with mines and laid down a few tracts of barbed wire.  Neither of these will last long once the attack begins, but they're enough to cripple the first tank or two that appear and to restrict the movement of enemy troops in the meantime.

2) Along the road, I set up one long sandbag wall.  Behind that wall, I deployed an anti-tank gun, an MG team, another AT-gun, another MG team, and finally one sniper.  Also, I placed two snipers in the building closest to this defensive line.  They're important because while the AT guns tear up the enemy armor and the MGs pin down enemy troops, the snipers can pick off enemy flamethrowers who rush the line and try to kill the weaponry teams.

3) Perpendicular to this main line, in the field beside the road where the Nazis arrive, I placed another sandbag wall to provide cover for one AT-gun and MG team.  This AT gun should score rear-armor hits on most of the enemy tanks that roll into town, while the MG team provides some cover.

4) Three mortar teams are placed a short distance behind these front lines.  Once the attack starts, they'll bombard enemy infantry trying to take cover in craters and return fire.

5) Some Axis units will approach Carentan from the east and west.  Use alternating lines of barbed wire and mines on the eastern and western bridges to prevent any of them from entering the town.  Use mines to secure the central bridge, but do not seal it off with barbed wire as you'll want some way open to reinforce your units in the front.

6) If you have anyone available, place paratrooper teams with recoilless rifles near the strategic points to the northwest and northeast.  Enemy units will attempt to take these points and flank the defensive lines covering the main road.  These paratrooper teams can keep them occupied and protect these points for as long as possible.  Additionally, a ring of mines placed around the points themselves will help pare down the number of enemy troops who survive a capture attempt.

7) As the attack begins and you begin to recoup the resources used to build all these defenses, use engineering teams to build MG emplacements to cover the bridges against any enemy troops who try to cross.  As your front lines begin to collapse, you'll want to garrison new troops inside these structures to cover the approaches, and hopefully reinforce them with an AT gun whenever possible.

8 ) Finally, one of the special abilities earned in this mission is the artillery bombardment.  Use it early and often against the clusters of enemy troops you're trying to hold on the northern road.  It costs 200 munitions points per use so once your front lines collapse you'll probably want to lay off it in favor of requisitioning new troops, but in the meantime you can help greatly thin out the number of Nazis your troops have to worry about.

Using these tips, I was able to score 250-kills well before Able company arrived to reinforce the town.

-Autistic Angel
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2006, 05:18:54 PM »

you'll want to garrison new troops inside these structures to cover the approaches

Wait, you can garrison troops inside the machine gun emplacements?

Gamertag = IkeV
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2006, 05:59:59 PM »

Yep.  You can put troops inside allied MG nests.  The MG nests can survive decently long under fire, so it'll give you a chance to unload those troops before it dies.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2006, 06:03:20 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 21, 2006, 05:59:59 PM

Yep.  You can put troops inside allied MG nests.  The MG nests can survive decently long under fire, so it'll give you a chance to unload those troops before it dies.

I've never put my engineers with flamethrowers in there.  Does it toss out flames as well as MG if you do?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2006, 01:33:19 AM »

Mission 13.  Mortain Counterattack.  I give up.  It's the one where you have to hold the VPs near the end.  I can't do it.  I suck at this game.

Gamertag = IkeV
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2006, 04:59:58 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on October 01, 2006, 01:33:19 AM

Mission 13.  Mortain Counterattack.  I give up.  It's the one where you have to hold the VPs near the end.  I can't do it.  I suck at this game.

Replay Mortain, you'll have the same position in Mortain Counterattack as you do at the end of the Mortain mission - which IMHO was quite easy.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2006, 05:07:44 PM »

I think I had a hard time with that one too.  I really do suck at this game.  It is a testament to how good the game is that I keep playing it despite my suckitude.

Gamertag = IkeV
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2006, 06:01:39 AM »

My vid card would'nt even play the demo frown

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2006, 06:55:24 PM »

I figured it out.  I did have to replay the previous mission to get a better mix of units.  I'll spell it out if anyone else is having trouble with this mission, but won't bother if I'm the only dumbass who couldn't get it.

Gamertag = IkeV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: