http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 06:21:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Company of Heroes Single Player Demo  (Read 763 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 06, 2006, 08:22:16 PM »

So I downloaded that 1.8GB monstrosity from Download.com last night (go go Flashget!) and played through it.  Pretty good stuff.  There are four training missions, two single player missions, and one skirmish mode. (didn't play the skirmish yet)    The first single player mission is the assault on Omaha Beach, so you have a good idea of the futility in that mission.  Once you get through the meat grinder you have to use the enemy trenches against them to blow up some 88s.  Lost a lot of guys but earned a sharpshooter medal in the process.   The second mission was a little more difficult.  Defending the city of Carentan, I had to secure three bridges using only troops and field defenses.  I put up land mines, machine gun nests, snipers, etc. but when you are rolled against with tanks, your anti-tank weapons are all you need right?  Wrong.  The game is VERY well balanced in that you need a mixture of units at each bridge position or you will find yourself throwing the wrong ammo at the wrong troops.  Well, my very well balanced groups held the line pretty well and I took out about 40 of the required 200 Nazi soldiers.  I was feeling pretty cocky...until the artillery started.  From that point until the end of the mission, I felt like I was scrambling the entire time to hold the line against the Germans.  Multiple breaches and more arty wreaked havoc on my defensive perimeter and I lost the initial objective.  Redoubling my efforts had me literally holding position and defending the objective AT the objective.  The Germans had completely surrounded me.  Well, I earned my bronze star for killing 200 Germans, and Able company brought in a contingency of tanks to help push the enemy back.  It is amazing what a few well placed tank rounds will do for your side. 

I was really impressed.  It is hard to justify a download this big for a single player demo, but it is totally worth it.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 10:20:02 PM »

I started to download it but when it came up at 13 hours to do so, I said fooooorgeeeeeet it.

Maybe in a week or so.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 10:20:40 PM »

Plus the fact that there is no way my comp would run it anyway, so...

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 10:33:40 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on September 06, 2006, 10:20:40 PM

Plus the fact that there is no way my comp would run it anyway, so...

Well, with Flashget and 10 open connections it took roughly an hour on my connection.  Just use the Download.com link and go nuts.  As for your PC not running it...ehh, I haven't looked at the requirements.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 11:14:13 PM »

I downloaded it from Filefront (free, no registration required) last night at a steady 500K+.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 03:57:34 AM »

I played some of the Omaha mission.  Ehh.  Been there and done that, and couldn't make it through it.  I went back to Dawn of War and the Winter Assault campaign (fantastic).  I'm sure other missions get more interesting, and the graphics certainly looked great.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 06:34:25 AM »

Scott,

First, play the second mission.

Second, don't play it like DoW.  You need to use tactics more.

Thirdly, it's the first mission of the entire game.  If I recall DoW's first mission wasn't all that interesting either.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 12:54:00 PM »

I'm sure other missions are more interesting Turtle, and the game looked good.  I'm not sure I played it like DoW really.  I just played it smile

Its another WWII game, which is yawn inducing by itself.  The first mission is yet another take on something we've all played 100 times.  I just couldn't get through it.  The topic just doesn't appeal anymore (worn out), so I was really looking for a fresh take, not just the same D-Day landing we've all played over the years.

I'll probably pick it up down the road though.  So much stuff coming out this fall, will be tough to fit it I think right now.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: