http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 07:51:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Company of Heroes - massive 2.4 patch coming very soon  (Read 4458 times)
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2009, 05:55:28 PM »

http://community.companyofheroesgame.com/forums/topic/patch-2400-coming

icon_eek

Looks like the Brits & PE are getting the nerf bat, and Wehrmacht and US are getting some decent improvements. I think it's called the 'multiplayer balance patch', and I think it's supposed to be HUGE.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 07:29:09 PM »

So soon, its only been a year!  Roll Eyes

I love CoH and Relic to death, but no way in hell this should have taken a year+ to roll out. There are so many game breaking balance issues that needed to be addressed way sooner than now.

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 07:51:19 PM »

And their entire patching process is FUCKED for CoH.  There is no reason that I should have to download and install around 10 separate freaking patches to bring it up to date.

Hopefully this new patch is an entire rollup patch.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 08:13:50 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on March 26, 2009, 07:51:19 PM

And their entire patching process is FUCKED for CoH.  There is no reason that I should have to download and install around 10 separate freaking patches to bring it up to date.

I totally agree, it's truly absurd. This last go-round, I just went with the Steam version, so it would do all the patching nonsense for me, behind the scenes.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 08:26:20 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on March 26, 2009, 08:13:50 PM

Quote from: Greggy_D on March 26, 2009, 07:51:19 PM

I totally agree, it's truly absurd. This last go-round, I just went with the Steam version, so it would do all the patching nonsense for me, behind the scenes.

Steam seems nicer, but they apparently can't even release patches on the same day for retail vs Steam.

Utterly ridiculous.

I'm like an abused housewife and CoH is the wifebeater... it hurts me so much but I just can't let it go  icon_biggrin
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 03:15:55 AM »

Quote from: madpeon on March 26, 2009, 08:26:20 PM

Steam seems nicer, but they apparently can't even release patches on the same day for retail vs Steam.

Utterly ridiculous.

That's exactly the reason I have both versions. I first bought Opposing Fronts on Steam. Because of Relic's system of forced logins, regardless if you were playing solo or multi, I was actually locked out of the game for a couple of days. Steam was behind 2 days on getting the retail patch, and without the patch you couldn't login to Relic. Thus, you couldn't play - period. I was so pissed (and so jonesin' to play) that I went and bought a retail copy of OF.

Thing is, I've heard the other side to that story, that it wasn't Valve's fault - but rather Relic was late in providing Valve with the Steam version patch. To me that's more believable.

The same thing may happen with the 2.4 patch, but I certainly hope not. It caused quite the shit-storm last time, and hopefully Relic will ready all versions at the same time.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 03:11:50 PM »

The patch is going live now. Steam is getting it, though very slowly.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 02:17:51 PM »

Apparently, the 2.4 patch is somewhat of a disaster

A sad day for CoH fans. frown

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 02:48:56 PM »

One of the big complaints in that thread is that the volume levels between the announcer, the units, and the in-game effects is all screwed up, but I haven't noticed any difference at all in the two skirmish games I've played.

As far as the various balance problems, I am so inexcusably awful at Company of Heroes that I'll just have to take everyone else's word for it. Tongue

I wonder if any of these reported bugs will affect my ability to finish the campaign.  Maybe I should have held off on patching until I was done...or maybe I'll just wait for the fixes before continuing.

-Autistic Angel
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 03:56:38 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 31, 2009, 02:48:56 PM

As far as the various balance problems, I am so inexcusably awful at Company of Heroes that I'll just have to take everyone else's word for it. Tongue
-Autistic Angel

I think the major problems are for skirmishers. The good news is that, in that thread, a Relic staffer is taking notes, reproducing the bugs, and making statements that they will be fixed. Just a few of them would make skirmish playable again. Right now, the potential for exploits is huge, such as with garrisoned MG teams now able to instantly change targets.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 04:22:26 PM »

Haven't they been working on this patch for months?

I wish I could go back to 2.3.

But I am NOT going to uninstall and then repatch from scratch.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 05:04:32 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on March 31, 2009, 04:22:26 PM

Haven't they been working on this patch for months?

I wish I could go back to 2.3.

But I am NOT going to uninstall and then repatch from scratch.

It is indeed sad, and given that

* our Steam group is taking off nicely

* I was starting to become halfway decent at skirmishing with the Wehrmacht

* Tales of Valor is due in a matter of weeks

* skirmish is the only way I care to play

... I'm even sadder that this happened. I'm not sure why the patch was released yet. What is QA for? It'd be one thing if it were optional, but it's forced on anyone who fires up the game (unless you jump through hoops including unplugging your internet).

Hopefully, with the impending release of ToV (which is already gold), they'll get these showstoppers fixed sooner rather than later. I'm not sure how ToV is going to play into this.

One of the bugs listed is 'badly broken skirmish A.I." and I can say that is what I saw last night too. I played a quick one on normal at Angoville, and the A.I. did virtually nothing. I took 3/4 of the map, and all I saw it produce was engineers, jeeps, and a bit later one M8 car which i promptly destroyed. I took the match in 16 minutes.
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 07:03:47 PM »

There is a Steam group playing CoH?  Is everyone good?

I'd like some game but I'm pretty bad.

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 01:24:10 AM »

Quote from: Redfive on March 31, 2009, 07:03:47 PM

There is a Steam group playing CoH?  Is everyone good?

I'd like some game but I'm pretty bad.

We have quite a few in the beginner and lower tier class of players. You'd fit in no problem! As soon as Relic sorts out this mess, I'll try and schedule some beginner level games for the newer players.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 02:42:09 AM »

Here is a video of the game-breaking MG42 bug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5sBxMNtGOY

Watch as rifle squads try to flank from 3 sides of the house. The 42 can now instantly change windows and decimate all the flankers. This is a disgusting bug, and this is coming from a Wehrmacht player.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 10:09:25 AM »

You know, I seriously think some disgruntled employee at relic is just slipping in random bugs.

Either that, of they're pushed the essence engine way too far and need to rewrite it to include better error checking background systems.  A lot of these weird problems are things where code objects seem to be inheriting the wrong things from the wrong areas and there should be policies in place to catch that sort of stuff.

Oh and have better internal standards.  The same sort of stuff is happening in DoW2 so it looks like Relic hasn't changed.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 06:44:36 PM »

Some good news ...

From Relic:

Patching Plans

Patch 2.400 is out the door but we still have a couple of patches that we are working on and that will be released in the near future.

Patch 2.500

Patch 2.500 is the "Tales of Valor" patch and is in the final stages of testing. It contains the new art and information from Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor so that players who don't have the new standalone expansion can play with players who do.

2.500 will be going live around the release date for Tales of Valor, April 9.

Patch 2.501

We also have patch 2.501 in development. Bugs that the community is finding in the 2.400 patch are first tested to see if they can be reproduced using the 2.501 patch. If they do occur in 2.501 were logging a bug on them, and well be looking at addressing anything high priority. Some bugs in the 2.400 patch are already addressed in the 2.500 and 2.501 patches.

Thank you all for your feedback, we appreciate your support as we continue to work to improve your gaming experience by providing ongoing support for Company of Heroes.
DOSHIGH
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 03:44:44 PM »

THQ presented a timeline for their upcoming games.  Any idea what the hell CoH online is? I never heard about it yet its suppose to come out next year.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 03:53:57 PM »

Quote from: DOSHIGH on April 03, 2009, 03:44:44 PM

THQ presented a timeline for their upcoming games.  Any idea what the hell CoH online is? I never heard about it yet its suppose to come out next year.

Yep, it's Company of Heroes in a persistent, online world. It's already up & running in ... Korea, I think it is. It's the core game with some heavy changes, RPG elements, Hero units, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_of_Heroes_Online
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 05:14:26 PM »

Asia release first?  icon_confused

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 09:33:47 PM »

It was never meant as a US release, just an MMO-like thing that they could do for China/Asia.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 01:17:47 PM »

Well the nightmare that was ver. 2.400 supposedly ends today. According to posts at the Relic forums, 2.501 is going out today, and some apparently already have it. Things are looking really good, from what I'm reading.

The broken A.I. in 2.4 is apparently not only fixed, but greatly improved.

22 new maps (!)

No word on the MG42 garrison bug, but here's hoping.

I keep getting weird date changes for ToV from Amazon. It's gone from the 7th, to the 8th, to now the 10th. Steam still says the 15th. Though a one week delay works for me if it means getting the game playable again.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 01:44:28 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on April 08, 2009, 01:17:47 PM

Well the nightmare that was ver. 2.400 supposedly ends today. According to posts at the Relic forums, 2.501 is going out today, and some apparently already have it. Things are looking really good, from what I'm reading.

The broken A.I. in 2.4 is apparently not only fixed, but greatly improved.

22 new maps (!)

No word on the MG42 garrison bug, but here's hoping.

I keep getting weird date changes for ToV from Amazon. It's gone from the 7th, to the 8th, to now the 10th. Steam still says the 15th. Though a one week delay works for me if it means getting the game playable again.

Good news.

I've been waiting on the patch before firing the game up again.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 03:20:32 PM »

I've been planning to jump back into the single player campaign, but since I wasn't sure the patch problems would cause scripting errors, I decided to hold off until the fix was released.  I'll be picking up Tales of Valor as soon as I can this week, so hopefully I'll be able to continue playing soon.

Does Relic Online have some sort of Friends List so I can find other GTers to play with?

-Autistic Angel
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 03:30:25 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 08, 2009, 03:20:32 PM

I've been planning to jump back into the single player campaign, but since I wasn't sure the patch problems would cause scripting errors, I decided to hold off until the fix was released.  I'll be picking up Tales of Valor as soon as I can this week, so hopefully I'll be able to continue playing soon.

Does Relic Online have some sort of Friends List so I can find other GTers to play with?

-Autistic Angel

Tales of Valor might be out today. My local Gamestop is going to call me shortly to let me know if it came in the order (she thinks it did).

AA, why not join our Steam group for CoH?

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/cbob

It's a mix of GT'ers and GWJ folks. Also, yes, Relic Online has a friends list you can add people to as well. 
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 04:11:26 PM »

Steam is updating the game now. Version 2.500 is here.  nod thumbsup
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 07:54:40 AM »

So, is the AI better?

I'll probably end up uninstalling my previous version and just run Tales of Valor via impulse.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 09:08:37 AM »

Let me know what is good/what is bad etc. Tempted a little bit.....

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 02:36:21 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 09, 2009, 07:54:40 AM

So, is the AI better?

I was getting reasonably comfortable at battling 'Hard' AIs before, but the new patch has turned that around.  It's suddenly gotten very comfortable fielding mixed teams of infantry, making greater use of special abilities like grenade throws, retreating fragile units like snipers to avoid needless casualties, and mounting coordinated attacks on two or three fronts at a time.

I'm certainly no expert, but the AI has certainly gotten better against me. thumbsup

-Autistic Angel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: