http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 10:26:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Company of Heroes Impressions  (Read 15047 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2006, 08:58:48 AM »

When you tell an infantry unit to retreat, they get a speed and defense boost, and run back to that player's HQ.  Basically it's a way to save your infantry if they're in big trouble, as it's cheaper to reinforce than to buy a whole new unit.

As for your troops retreating without your control.  The Axis Terror doctrine has an ability called Propoganda war that forces any units caught within a small radius to retreat.  To counteract this, don't move units in tight groups (never a good idea), and when capturing a point, have only one unit capture the point with another a small ways away in cover.  If he hits your capturing unit with propaganda war, you can move up the second unit to capture the point.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2006, 10:25:13 AM »

Good games tonight guys. I'm working today through until tuesday, but come the middle of next week I'm up for more.

I'm not sure when, but in a couple of weeks I should be switching to a day shift, so maybe I can get some CoH in a little more regularly after my shift switch takes effect biggrin

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2006, 02:47:57 PM »

On retreating, there are a few instances where a final stand is indeed better. Last night my friend and I were playing vs. two random people on Mechagen's War, VP win conditions.  We were down to 100 points while the Germans had about 300. Still, we held all the VPs so their ticker was counting down quite fast. I was airborne and had an airborne squad guarding the rightmost VP when I saw 3 squads of grenadiers coming up the road. I didn't have enough resource to drop another airborne squad and my friend didn't have any infantry to send.

So, rather than retreating I waited until all three were by the VP. Some were shooting at me and one grenadier squad was trying to cap the VP but they were all clumped together. Satchel charge right into the middle of the group. My satchel thrower (last man alive) managed to throw it before he died. 4 seconds later, a mighty explosion and I saw our VP bar return back to our possession. (It does that if you stop capturing the VP before it goes to neutral).

We came back to win the game smile.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2006, 10:04:38 PM »

I'm stating ahead of time I only skimmed the three pages here, but I am running out to the shops and I might pick this game up.  How is the AI, especially in skirmish games?  Will it use good tactics, etc?  Thanks for understanding. icon_smile
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2006, 10:06:17 PM »

Quote from: Vinda-Lou on September 22, 2006, 10:04:38 PM

I'm stating ahead of time I only skimmed the three pages here, but I am running out to the shops and I might pick this game up.  How is the AI, especially in skirmish games?  Will it use good tactics, etc?  Thanks for understanding. icon_smile

AI is so-so, very predictable for the most part, and on Expert it is pretty cheat-centric.  Certainly not BAD AI, but nothing I would say is that great.  After a few games you can easily manipulate and predict the AI.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2006, 10:14:32 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 22, 2006, 10:06:17 PM

Quote from: Vinda-Lou on September 22, 2006, 10:04:38 PM

AI is so-so, very predictable for the most part, and on Expert it is pretty cheat-centric.  Certainly not BAD AI, but nothing I would say is that great.  After a few games you can easily manipulate and predict the AI.
Thanks!  I'm not the best at rts games, but after reading the strategy article in the newest PC Gamer I was looking forward to some good tide turning battles.  I'm no where near good enough for playing online as I'm an online strategy virgin.  Anyway, off I go to the stores!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2006, 10:27:35 AM »

Turtling the in the traditional sense isn't possible in CoH.  Instead, you can have a very effective defense in a particular area, but only if you have mobile defenders alongside fixed defenses.  Also, the only fixed anti tank defense is the 88, so to defend against tanks, which can basically ignore many fixed defenses.

It's also a matter of choosing where to defend, and where your opponent actually lets you turtle up.

In my last game with Calvin and ThinJ, we played against three players who really, and I mean really, turtled up.  They had tank traps a plenty, bunkers, mines, 88s, etc...  However, they built this behind the center line of the map where most of the high value resources are.  They never pushed forward, and all the while we had captured and secured the middle ground high value resources.  So while they were just beginning to build their tank factories in preparation for a big tank rush, we already had tanks and were quickly pushing in on their lines.  My airborne took out the 88s and other turrets, and my tanks dealt with the bunkers.

I think they planned to use all those defenses to hold us off long enough to make a swarm of axis tanks and hit our base.  The problem was we had the majority of fuel and munitions.  Anything they sent at us would be killed by our tanks or picked off by airstrikes.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2006, 11:25:38 PM »

Big head mode for the win.

Open console, Ctrl+Shift+~

Type ee_bigheadmode

Really funny.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2006, 01:26:45 AM »

I'm a bit late to the party.  I downloaded the demo from the PC Gamer disk.  It looks like a great, fun - if tactical - game.  I'm very tempted to buy it, even though I don't much like RTS games.  I tend to quickly lose interest in them (though I liked Medieval: Total War).  I only have two complaints.

1.  It's awfully fast.  I don't have the dexterity to keep up with it.  It's hard.  I've played the Carenten scenario through 3 times...and only on the last did I get the Medal (with 15 seconds to go).  Part of the problem is that my defenses were rather effective, which blocked the bridges.  People couldn't get around the burning tanks to attack me.  Then, of course, I get hit with the artillery...and things get very ugly at that point.

2.  The demo runs like a dog on my system (AMD 3.2, 1G RAM, X1800 Pro video card).  It's not so bad when the action happens, but the load times are horrendous...I'm talking minutes here.  Now, to be fair, the demo says it's not optimized.  But I'm wondering if those really do speed up on the real release. 

Now I'm not likely to spend $50 on this game, especially since I won't play it multiplayer.  The single player scenarios aren't worth $50 for what (or so I've read) is about 20 hours of gameplay.  But it has captured my imagination like few prior RTS games.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2006, 01:52:15 AM »

2.  The demo runs like a dog on my system (AMD 3.2, 1G RAM, X1800 Pro video card).  It's not so bad when the action happens, but the load times are horrendous...I'm talking minutes here.  Now, to be fair, the demo says it's not optimized.  But I'm wondering if those really do speed up on the real release. 
Two patches in the pipe have really cleaned up the performance.  Anyone similar specced that can help?

Now I'm not likely to spend $50 on this game, especially since I won't play it multiplayer.  The single player scenarios aren't worth $50 for what (or so I've read) is about 20 hours of gameplay.  But it has captured my imagination like few prior RTS games.
20 hours of gameplay in an RTS is pretty high I'd think.  As for the 20 hour amount, I'm stuck on Mission 12 and 13 (they are linked - I won't tell you how).  There are a total of 16 medals iirc, so I'm guessing 16 missions.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2006, 02:06:56 AM »

Quote from: Blackadar on September 25, 2006, 01:26:45 AM

I'm a bit late to the party.  I downloaded the demo from the PC Gamer disk.  It looks like a great, fun - if tactical - game.  I'm very tempted to buy it, even though I don't much like RTS games.  I tend to quickly lose interest in them (though I liked Medieval: Total War).  I only have two complaints.

1.  It's awfully fast.  I don't have the dexterity to keep up with it.  It's hard.  I've played the Carenten scenario through 3 times...and only on the last did I get the Medal (with 15 seconds to go).  Part of the problem is that my defenses were rather effective, which blocked the bridges.  People couldn't get around the burning tanks to attack me.  Then, of course, I get hit with the artillery...and things get very ugly at that point.

your specs are better than mine and I have no problems running the retail version you also know you can use the pause button?

amd xp 2500+
6600 gt
1 gig of ram
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 02:08:29 AM by pingwrx » Logged

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2006, 02:07:06 AM »

I'm very tempted to buy it, even though I don't much like RTS games. I tend to quickly lose interest in them (though I liked Medieval: Total War).  I only have two complaints.
Then don't buy this one.  While a fun game, you WILL quickly lose interest in it I am betting. COH has essentially run its course here after only a couple weeks.  Primarily I think this is due to the fact there are only 2 sides, limited hardware, and very few maps.  While it is a well done game, beautiful, and skillfully crafted, there just isn't enough "Meat" to make it GOTY material to me.  BFME2 IMO has legs far beyond this one.

1.  It's awfully fast. 
Indeed, very fast, and requires extreme micromangement.

2.  The demo runs like a dog on my system (AMD 3.2, 1G RAM, X1800 Pro video card).  It's not so bad when the action happens, but the load times are horrendous...I'm talking minutes here.
Fixed on release, load times are pretty snappy in the final product.

Now I'm not likely to spend $50 on this game, especially since I won't play it multiplayer.

Don't buy it if you don't play on the lan or multiplayer, thats the "Meat" of this game.  Expect to blow through the SP modes in 15 hours if you have experience with RTS games, or you might be like my son, he got bored before the end and moved on..  MP/Lan gives this game legs - at least for the short term but you won't get your $50 out of the single campaign that doesn't even accord you with the right to play as the bad guys.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2006, 02:31:36 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 25, 2006, 02:07:06 AM

I'm very tempted to buy it, even though I don't much like RTS games. I tend to quickly lose interest in them (though I liked Medieval: Total War).  I only have two complaints.
Then don't buy this one.  While a fun game, you WILL quickly lose interest in it I am betting. COH has essentially run its course here after only a couple weeks.  Primarily I think this is due to the fact there are only 2 sides, limited hardware, and very few maps.  While it is a well done game, beautiful, and skillfully crafted, there just isn't enough "Meat" to make it GOTY material to me.  BFME2 IMO has legs far beyond this one.

1.  It's awfully fast. 
Indeed, very fast, and requires extreme micromangement.

2.  The demo runs like a dog on my system (AMD 3.2, 1G RAM, X1800 Pro video card).  It's not so bad when the action happens, but the load times are horrendous...I'm talking minutes here.
Fixed on release, load times are pretty snappy in the final product.

Now I'm not likely to spend $50 on this game, especially since I won't play it multiplayer.

Don't buy it if you don't play on the lan or multiplayer, thats the "Meat" of this game.  Expect to blow through the SP modes in 15 hours if you have experience with RTS games, or you might be like my son, he got bored before the end and moved on..  MP/Lan gives this game legs - at least for the short term but you won't get your $50 out of the single campaign that doesn't even accord you with the right to play as the bad guys.

It is a complete mystery to me how you could become bored with this game.  I don't think it has run its course at all.  I'm loving it.  GOTY?  Hard to say, especially not having seen anything from the holidays in-hand yet, but I'd say it is a solid contender with the aformentioned BFMEII. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2006, 02:42:52 AM »

Been working with Calvin and Whispa.  I've also been learning airborne.

One nasty tactic I've been using with an infantry teammate is to wait until he has an arty strike ready, then fly over the enemy base and let him drop it on the axis krieg barracks.  The krieg barracks is a large and structurally weak building.  One arty strike is enough to destroy it most of the time.  Then, if I have extra munition, I do a strafing run to kill any infantry he has.

Also, if I see the enemy retreat a lot of infantry, I wait a little bit then scout plane the enemy base, while the enemy infantry are clustered around the hq I do a strafing run and that usually finishes off a large number of them.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 25, 2006, 02:50:36 AM »

Any Nazi player should have a couple flak panzers parked towards the front of his base so your planes would be shot down almost instantly.   The bad part about Airborne line is that it can be effectively neutralized with either 88's or Ostwind Flak Tanks.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2006, 03:31:14 AM »

They changed it a bit.  Now it takes more than one flakpanzer to down a plane before it completes its objective.  Also, planes come in from any angle you want, so I can always find someplace I can attack.  Flakpanzes are also much more vulnerable to artillery fire now, like in my last game where any time my opponent clustered his flakpanzers they'd take howitzer fire.

88s aren't much of a threat to planes unless they happen to be aiming in the right direction.  Otherwise they're too slow to track the plane before it delivers its payload.

Scout planes are much harder to shoot down, and overall the airborne strike abilities are affordable and very precise.

That said, it is still annoying whem my stuff gets shot down.  I still think it's a bad idea to allow the axis to completely neutralize some allied abilities, even though they have quite a lot of their own toys already, and their strikes are some of the best in the game.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 03:34:15 AM by Turtle » Logged
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2006, 05:49:43 AM »

Quote from: Turtle
That said, it is still annoying whem my stuff gets shot down.  I still think it's a bad idea to allow the axis to completely neutralize some allied abilities, even though they have quite a lot of their own toys already, and their strikes are some of the best in the game.

I totally agree here. There's no way for the Allies to shoot down the Firestorm or Rocket Strike abilities. What about the V-1 Rocket ability? Can that be shot down before it hits? If not, then I'm pretty sure all the big Axis artillery-type strikes are unstoppable once they're targeted. The only Allies equivalent is the basic Arty strike, but I don't think it's nearly as powerful as the Rocket Strike, nor is it as effective an infantry killer as Firestorm :|

whispa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2006, 03:52:56 PM »

Had some fun games with Turtle and Calvin recently. Thanks for the tips fellas, they helped (infantry command, going arty first)  icon_cool

I don't see myself getting bored with this game for quite sometime as I love watch replays and seeing the battles play out (while I see what I did wrong etc heh)
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2006, 06:05:56 PM »

I may have to get in on some online games with you guys.

gellar
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: September 25, 2006, 06:53:52 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 25, 2006, 06:05:56 PM

I may have to get in on some online games with you guys.

gellar

Ditto.  Anyone for tonight?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 25, 2006, 07:03:10 PM »

MNF tonight... so unless the game gets boring, I'm probably out.

gellar
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 25, 2006, 08:08:43 PM »

Quick question...and I'm not meaning to go off-topic here, but a couple of folks in this thread have compared this to BFME2.  I tried the demo for BFME...and found it to be just another same-ole', same-ole' RTS.  I didn't really see any innovation between that and RON, or AOE or anything else.  What did I miss?

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2006, 09:25:12 PM »

I'd be up for tonight probly.  I haven't tried online yet so I haven't set up an account or what-have-you, but I'm guessing my name will be IkeV or something very very similar.  Send me a pm.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2006, 09:35:43 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on September 25, 2006, 09:25:12 PM

I'd be up for tonight probly.  I haven't tried online yet so I haven't set up an account or what-have-you, but I'm guessing my name will be IkeV or something very very similar.  Send me a pm.

I played 2-3 games in the beta.  We can figure it out together. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2006, 10:23:30 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on September 25, 2006, 08:08:43 PM

Quick question...and I'm not meaning to go off-topic here, but a couple of folks in this thread have compared this to BFME2.  I tried the demo for BFME...and found it to be just another same-ole', same-ole' RTS.  I didn't really see any innovation between that and RON, or AOE or anything else.  What did I miss?

Actually thats kind of a bad comparison because in coh you can use cover and flanking the enviroment is totally destructable oh hes hiding in a house level it  taking cover behind bushes burn the bushes down with a flame thrower unit.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2006, 12:25:20 AM »

CoH is still another RTS at heart, however it has a lot more tactical nuances.  Instead of simply building the biggest mob you can, you're encouraged to use your troops tactically.  Position, cover, timing, range, suppression, and many other factors affect how a battle will go and

I played BFME 1 and it was more of the same dressed up as something new.  Sure it had units in little groups of infantry, but otherwise it was build up and charge.

In CoH, there's been many a time that I've fought off a superior force, both in number and quality with just a handful of units because I used better tactics.  And this doesn't mean I did little micromanagement tricks that online RTS games are known for, instead I had my troops in cover, overlapping fire sectors, suppressing fire on the infantry, mortars to kill, snipers and jeeps to kill enemy snipers, and AT guns in the rear to kill vehicles.  I could move my troops to engage targets in different areas

However, let me reiterate that the game is still an RTS at its heart, you'll still have to build new units steadily and know how to manage a base and resources to win.  But, you can repel or even kill off a lot of attacks with the right tactics, and the same goes for when you're on the attack.  Good use of support can drive an enemy away from a position with just a few units. 

Then again, this does mean that you really need to manage the battles more instead of constantly playing with the base like other rts games.  Thankfully, there are some interface features that help you keep your eyes on the battlefield instead of hopping back to base all the time.  There's the building hotkeys, f1-f5 selects the appropriate building, the tactical map is a great feature that basically zooms your minimap to fill the entire screen, showing units, unit types, spotted enemy units.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2006, 01:05:52 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 26, 2006, 12:25:20 AM

I played BFME 1 and it was more of the same dressed up as something new.  Sure it had units in little groups of infantry, but otherwise it was build up and charge.

BFME1 sucked hard in comparison to BFME2..  Not even close.  Similar tactics in BFME2 but flanking becomes more important in BFME2 and is a huge tactic.  With unit upgrades as well, lesser units upgraded, can effectively fight higher units, etc.  BFME2 has fairly destructable environments as well, including items you build, but also I do regularly level nice grasslands with flaming catapults.  thumbsup  BMFE2 + Clords Mod becomes even more stellar and build up and charge essentially is rendered ineffective.

Not saying COH ain't a great game, just saying I enjoy the depth in BFME2 much more, can't wait for the expansion in November!

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2006, 02:02:57 AM »

I'm online in about 3 minutes to play CoH.  Nice to be home at night.....

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 26, 2006, 06:03:47 AM »

Anybody interested in some Tuesday night games of CoH?

I'm thinking of skipping my weekly game of GRAW and just playing some Company of Heroes.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: September 26, 2006, 06:13:18 AM »

I can certainly give it a shot.  I have Tues / Wed off with the wifey, so my comp time is limited, sadly. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 27, 2006, 06:05:58 AM »

Ended up getting on late. Still got in one game with Calvin, CSL, and Gellar though.

Lost as Axis.

They're just so much more complicated, with their tech phases and their veterancy upgrades. The allies are way more streamlined as far as playability goes. If an allied infantry unit kills a bunch of stuff it gains veterancy. For an Axis unit to gain veterancy you have to upgrade them at the Kampkraft center. Three times. And it's mucho expensive. It forces you to focus on one or maybe two things. You lose all the versatility of the Allies.

Granted, their armor is just plain superior in almost every way, but that's a small consolation if you lose the early game because you can't figure out what you should do next frown

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: September 27, 2006, 09:06:05 AM »

Actually, Axis are easier to build bases for because their progression through the tiers is linear.  They can skip buildings, but they still have to upgrade their HQ to the next battle level.

Also, each one of their buildings has a wide variety of units to build, allowing for more combined arms.  Allies have to rely on fewer units, but more abilities per unit.  I suppose allies are more streamlined in unit choice, but not quite in building/tech choice.

Axis units do gain veterancy on its own like any other unit, but they seem to gain it more slowly to make up for the fact that you can buy them veterancy.

It's important to think of axis armor not as superior in nature, but simply by the fact that they have access to heavy and super heavy tanks as a default unit.  Whereas the Allied heavies are only available with armor.  Allied AT can still pick apart axis tanks very quickly.

My main strategy is to build the wehrmacht quarters asap and get an MG team out.  It's important to get the MT team out and then a volks squad after that. For a third unit choose either another volks, sniper, or motorcycle.  Maybe build a fourth combat unit, but by then you should have enough fuel to upgrade your HQ to level 2, skirmish phase I think.  This'll give you access to flamethrowers and wirecutters for engineers, and the deadly mp44 upgrade for the volks.  It'll also make the krieg barracks available, but I usually wait to build that unless I think there's tanks or vehicles coming.

Using your upgraded volks, engineers, and combined arms from other units available from the werhmacht quarters you can still reasonably fight off many attacks while you decide whether to build a krieg barracks or go up another level to sturm armory.  If you suspect at all that you enemy is teching to vehicles or tanks, you still have two options, go sturm and get stugs to deal with vehicles, or get the wehrmacht and use AT guns and panzershrek equipped grenediers to deal with vehicles.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 27, 2006, 10:02:11 AM »

I see what you're saying, but I still think the axis is the slower-developing less versatile side when you look at all the abilities and the units together.

As for the units gaining veterancy on their own, I didn't know they did it. I'd never seen it happen before, even with a sniper that lasted a long time and killed plenty of units frown

Good times last night though guys. While I'm not as adamant about a rematch of the one game as Calvin may be, it was still a fun game. There were a few tense moments near the end when I thought we had a shot at coming back from a ridiculous score gap, but the floor fell out from under us quickly enough.

Look forward to more!

At the rate I'm going this game'll pass up BF2 for total hours played, and it'll do it in a month instead of a year and a half  icon_lol
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 12:09:22 PM by Thin_J » Logged

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 27, 2006, 02:24:59 PM »

Yeah last night was pretty funny.  We had so much of the map covered before we even saw your tanks that it was a bit unfair.  I gotta admit though, there was a scary moment when I saw a couple of Tigers knowing I only had 2 Shermans.

gellar
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 27, 2006, 04:23:37 PM »

I agree on the Axis being harder to play, but when you fully grasp them, they are far and away superior to the Allied forces.  I have a *LOT* of time in this game, but still have an almost impossible road when I play allied against a skilled and experienced Axis player.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 27, 2006, 05:47:15 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 27, 2006, 02:24:59 PM

Yeah last night was pretty funny.  We had so much of the map covered before we even saw your tanks that it was a bit unfair.  I gotta admit though, there was a scary moment when I saw a couple of Tigers knowing I only had 2 Shermans.

gellar

CSL's airdropped AT-Guns killed all three of them I think. Both of Calv's regular Tigers and my Ace along with them.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 27, 2006, 07:15:10 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on September 27, 2006, 05:47:15 PM

Quote from: gellar on September 27, 2006, 02:24:59 PM

gellar

CSL's airdropped AT-Guns killed all three of them I think. Both of Calv's regular Tigers and my Ace along with them.

Cecil and I had the strategy of: Gellar's Shermans dance around and distract the tanks while Cecil blows them up with infantry.

My favorite moment of the night was when I managed to maneuver in such a way that Calvin had two tanks stacked up both firing at me... and one of the tanks shot his other tank RIGHT up the rear armor.  It was glorious (and totally accidental).

gellar
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: September 27, 2006, 08:50:09 PM »

With the axis, you should always wait to attack until you have a good combined arms force.  With the allies, their units can pull so many roles that they can get by with a less diverse force and still handle many threats.

As for tanks, always have infantry backing them up, and a strike of some sort to call down on enemy AT.  It can help to deter enemy infantry from attacking your tanks if you upgrade them to level 2 veterancy so that they get the top machinegunner.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 29, 2006, 09:26:28 AM »

I practically live on Relic Online these days. At least when I'm not at work.

Turtle, you need to hurry through all that school stuff so you can get back to playing slywink

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: September 29, 2006, 01:25:49 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on September 29, 2006, 09:26:28 AM

I practically live on Relic Online these days. At least when I'm not at work.

Turtle, you need to hurry through all that school stuff so you can get back to playing slywink

I've got everyone added.  Perhaps I'll get to play this weekend.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: