http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:39:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Company of Heroes Impressions  (Read 15108 times)
Kobra
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2006, 12:01:37 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 16, 2006, 09:22:01 PM

Quote from: Kobra on September 16, 2006, 03:40:25 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 16, 2006, 03:22:19 AM

Quote from: Kobra on September 16, 2006, 02:07:40 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 16, 2006, 12:32:51 AM

News patch = 102fps max, 90fps average. 

Whos getting 90fps average maxed settings?  I thought the max was 75FPS from the dev forums.

My box is damn strong, and I can push 40fps average now, but haven't read of anyone getting over 75 yet even on super rigs.

Well, you saw the specs.  I get more than 75fps on my M170 laptop, so apparently the dev forums are incorrect, or the tool is incorrect. 

Anyone else getting remotely close to this, even with superboxes?  My E-Peen is shrinking by the minute.

This isn't going to help then. smile    I ran it several times and took the average. 

Ahh, 70fps is more like it.   From what I am hearing, 70-75fps is where high end rigs should fall. (SLI, etc)  Honestly, its an FPS, so anything over 20 is fine.. LOL

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2006, 01:04:34 AM »

Yea, guess the first few were flukes.  *shrug*  Either way, I'm about 6 or 7 missions in.

Spoiler for Hiden:
the one with the paradrops into the V2 rocket base
  Thus far, I'm totally hooked!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2006, 10:39:54 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon
Max widescreen resolution, all detail options maxed.

That, good sir, does not tell me what resolution you used smile

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2006, 06:04:58 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on September 17, 2006, 10:39:54 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon
Max widescreen resolution, all detail options maxed.

That, good sir, does not tell me what resolution you used smile

I believe it is 1680x1024, but I'll look this afternoon.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2006, 02:08:40 AM »

Should be 1680x1050. That's the standard 16:10 resolution. It's also what I'm running in and I can't get any results like that despite my rig being superior in what should be one of the more important areas :|

Maybe the game's extremely ram heavy?

That's the only thing your system trumps mine on is 4gb of ram vs 2gb. We have identical videocards, my Core 2 Duo spanks the pants off the 64x2's, and my hard drive, while not a raptor, is still a 7200rpm drive and that really shouldn't be affecting framerate much at all anyway.

What forceware driver revision are you using? And do you have AA turned on? If you do, are you doing it with the drivers or in the game options?

I'm really curious.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2006, 02:37:14 AM »

Should be 1680x1050. That's the standard 16:10 resolution. It's also what I'm running in and I can't get any results like that despite my rig being superior in what should be one of the more important areas :|
Ah, that is it.  I've only had this widepanel for about a month now, so I'm still getting used to the numbers.

I'd say it is - during some parts of missions I saw my ram usage head towards the 70% mark. 

That's the only thing your system trumps mine on is 4gb of ram vs 2gb. We have identical videocards, my Core 2 Duo spanks the pants off the 64x2's, and my hard drive, while not a raptor, is still a 7200rpm drive and that really shouldn't be affecting framerate much at all anyway.
*shrug*   I have SLI running, do you?

What forceware driver revision are you using? And do you have AA turned on? If you do, are you doing it with the drivers or in the game options?
  Yes, I have AA turned on via the game menu.  I don't typically mess with that stuff outside of a game unless the jaggies are really noticable.   

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2006, 03:41:22 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on September 18, 2006, 02:08:40 AM

I'm really curious.

Rumor is, the new Nvidia beta drivers add 15-20 more FPS to Company of Heroes!

The ones you want are the 92.91's.

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_rel70betadriver.html

« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 03:43:43 AM by Kobra » Logged

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2006, 04:40:13 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 18, 2006, 03:41:22 AM

Quote from: Thin_J on September 18, 2006, 02:08:40 AM

I'm really curious.

Rumor is, the new Nvidia beta drivers add 15-20 more FPS to Company of Heroes!

The ones you want are the 92.91's.

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_rel70betadriver.html

And are indeed the ones I'm running. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2006, 05:34:17 AM »

I do indeed have SLI running. I guess I'll have to give the beta drivers a shot.

I just did the whole driver uninstall/reinstall dance like a week ago though frown

Those drivers are nuts!

My max FPS was 171 and average was 61. The min was 11, but there was a bad stutter at one point while the rest was pretty much smooth as could be.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 06:09:33 AM by Thin_J » Logged

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2006, 11:10:21 PM »

Anyone else already getting tired of it?  My sons moved back to Soldiers already with rare games of COH.  We tried to have a lan session with a few friends tonight over here, and regardless of the setup we used (3 different routers), we still ran into some sync issues here and there unfortunately.  That sure put a damper on the thrills, LOL.

I seriously think I burned out on beta, and because the retail offered nothing much new other than new maps..  I was praying for a third or fourth "Side", such as Russians or something.  With all things said, I still think it is a great game, and would rate it about 88% range (strong). Thinking of selling my copy though.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 11:48:41 PM by Kobra » Logged

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2006, 01:12:11 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 19, 2006, 11:10:21 PM

Anyone else already getting tired of it?  My sons moved back to Soldiers already with rare games of COH.  We tried to have a lan session with a few friends tonight over here, and regardless of the setup we used (3 different routers), we still ran into some sync issues here and there unfortunately.  That sure put a damper on the thrills, LOL.

I seriously think I burned out on beta, and because the retail offered nothing much new other than new maps..  I was praying for a third or fourth "Side", such as Russians or something.  With all things said, I still think it is a great game, and would rate it about 88% range (strong). Thinking of selling my copy though.

Not for a second. Its a wonderful, almost genius game.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2006, 01:18:15 AM »

Yeah, I think beta really blew us out of it.  icon_neutral

One thing I really CRY to do is to jump into direct control on a tank.  Sometimes the AI is just dumb.. I had a panther move into the fire of 4 AT guns, I told him to back up, and what does he do?  Sit there for another 20 seconds masturbating with a building.  In soldiers, I'd of just drove the bitch back through the building and been done with it all.  Direct control would really rock.

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2006, 01:43:48 AM »

Still loving this game bet they come with an expansion in the future.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2006, 05:43:44 AM »

My sons moved back to Soldiers already with rare games of COH

Maybe worth checking out the Faces of War demo - which is of course Soldiers II. Be interested to see some impressions of that one.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2006, 06:52:40 AM »

Well, Calvin just found out how bad I can be at multiplayer. I guess I need more time in skirmish mode smile

The AI really does adapt well. At one point we were getting hit with what seemed like a neverending wave of Stugs on the last game we played. I countered with ranger squads, sticky bombs from my rifleman, and a couple of AT-Guns. So what does the computer do? They firestorm my AT guns and then charge in with Armored Cars that eat my infantry alive.

Of course, immediately after that I called in an off-map squad that I got extremely lucky with. It came with two tank destroyers who proceeded to rip up the armored cards and then make a valiant (but fatal) attack into the center. I think if I'd micro'd them better they would have survived. Instead they lasted just long enough to finish off two more Stugs and the point was cleared right as the last of the two died.

I was pretty sure we were boned at one point halfway through when three or four tanks showed up at our base, ripped up one of my gun emplacements and destroyed my barracks. Calvin charged in with a few shermans and I hit them with an AT-Gun while they were focused on him, we fought it off, and then ever so slowly started coming back for the win smile
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 07:12:23 AM by Thin_J » Logged

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2006, 03:40:52 PM »

I can't stop playing!  I'm loving it.  With my job shifting to daytime I'll actually be able to get some multi in as well!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2006, 04:03:39 AM »

Speed control for Company of Heroes now available;

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=108813&page=1&pp=15

Both console version, and a hotkeyable mod version.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2006, 04:48:33 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 20, 2006, 03:40:52 PM

I can't stop playing!  I'm loving it.  With my job shifting to daytime I'll actually be able to get some multi in as well!

I start dayshift in a couple of weeks myself. It will no longer be freaking impossible for me to play on the nights people from around here choose to play smile

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2006, 06:03:35 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on September 20, 2006, 06:52:40 AM

Well, Calvin just found out how bad I can be at multiplayer. I guess I need more time in skirmish mode smile

The AI really does adapt well. At one point we were getting hit with what seemed like a neverending wave of Stugs on the last game we played. I countered with ranger squads, sticky bombs from my rifleman, and a couple of AT-Guns. So what does the computer do? They firestorm my AT guns and then charge in with Armored Cars that eat my infantry alive.

Of course, immediately after that I called in an off-map squad that I got extremely lucky with. It came with two tank destroyers who proceeded to rip up the armored cards and then make a valiant (but fatal) attack into the center. I think if I'd micro'd them better they would have survived. Instead they lasted just long enough to finish off two more Stugs and the point was cleared right as the last of the two died.

I was pretty sure we were boned at one point halfway through when three or four tanks showed up at our base, ripped up one of my gun emplacements and destroyed my barracks. Calvin charged in with a few shermans and I hit them with an AT-Gun while they were focused on him, we fought it off, and then ever so slowly started coming back for the win smile

Hehe. ThinJ isn't as bad as he says he is, but he certainly needed the team practice-he got much better at the end. That last fight was awesome-the way we finally won was that ThinJ somehow managed to hold the central area and keep 2 vps most of the time will suffering rather horrific losses-primarily to the firestorm and then to armored cars and StuGs. 4-5 squads of infantry would just dissapear in the overpowered firestorm barrage. While he was doing this I had gone armored-the initial StuG force was repelled with Thin's AT and 2 shermans, an M10, and the mighty Pershing. When their attack collapsed, I took my ragged remains into the enemy base and pounded them into the stone age for almost 15 minutes-and just as we took the lead in VP's and the cpu had notihng left, I destroyed their last unit and building, ending the game. So awesome. I am trying to prep Thinny for some live action games this weekend, hes a good partner!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2006, 08:12:01 AM »

Don't forget to post your relic online names in the names topic in the multiplayer forum.

Early on in victory point control games it's actually more important to grab resources than to take the VPs.  Make sure you're fighting for the VPs, but don't throw anything away taking them.  If you grab and secure the high value resource points first, he may have the VP, but you have more resources to take and hold it later on.  However, when the VP is sitting on a high value territory, take it at all costs.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2006, 11:56:09 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 21, 2006, 04:03:39 AM

Speed control for Company of Heroes now available;

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=108813&page=1&pp=15

Both console version, and a hotkeyable mod version.

I don't see a need.  Game's buildup puts a good amount of pressure on you to get the hell out of your base and stop turtling.   That is all sorts of win in my book. This isn't Starcraft. (kkekekekeke)

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2006, 12:44:22 PM »

What does turtling have to do with game speed?  I would think being able to slow down the game would be a bigger help to people on the offense, so you can more fully use tactics, flanking, and special abilities.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2006, 12:59:35 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 21, 2006, 12:44:22 PM

What does turtling have to do with game speed?  I would think being able to slow down the game would be a bigger help to people on the offense, so you can more fully use tactics, flanking, and special abilities.

The argument that I hear is that people want to slow the game down so they can wedge themselves into their base better.  Personally, after playing through almost the entire single player game, I think the speed works just fine.  Just like real deployments, defenses were kinda hasty and reinforced later.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2006, 01:12:54 PM »

Ah, I see.

It's odd, although I normally like slower RTS games I'm finding that I really enjoy the CoH pace.  I've never played a RTS game that keeps me so active and involved in the fight.  I'm constantly building troops here, redeploying there, retreating here, building emplacements there.  You never end up staring at your production buildings waiting for an army of sufficient size to amass before you attack--every single unit that pops out is immediately useful somewhere.

Personally, I'd be more interested in a resource rate slider.  It'd be nice to spend a bit more time fighting on each Tier.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2006, 03:15:00 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 21, 2006, 01:12:54 PM

Ah, I see.

It's odd, although I normally like slower RTS games I'm finding that I really enjoy the CoH pace.  I've never played a RTS game that keeps me so active and involved in the fight.  I'm constantly building troops here, redeploying there, retreating here, building emplacements there.  You never end up staring at your production buildings waiting for an army of sufficient size to amass before you attack--every single unit that pops out is immediately useful somewhere.

Personally, I'd be more interested in a resource rate slider.  It'd be nice to spend a bit more time fighting on each Tier.

I agree, a resource allocation speed slider would fit the bill, so we have more time to enjoy each section of the game before the tanks come out.  While I do tend to turtle up a bit, I do like the idea of having more time to manage each unit better, with sick micro, you can do some amazing things in the game.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2006, 03:54:48 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 21, 2006, 01:12:54 PM

Ah, I see.

Me too!  It is a welcome change of pace.  As for tanks - I'm finding that sticky bombs can really ruin their day.  One mission had a medal for losing less than 5 tanks - I lost zero thanks to Sticky Bombs. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2006, 04:41:46 PM »

I tried performance tests last night with many different drivers, including the so-called "Tweaked" ones from places like XG Tweaks-R-Us and what not.  My conclusion - these tweak sites drivers are nothing more than snake-oil, my FPS actually DROPPED using some of them.

The best FPS?  The basic Nvidia Beta's taken directly from Nvidia's website.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2006, 06:06:28 PM »

It's a hit or miss with the tweaked drivers. They'll make some games run better, but not others.  They can also help deal with compatability issues with official drivers.  But, if you don't have any such issues, it's best to stick with original drivers.

Just so you know, allied riflemen cost only 22 points to reinforce, that's actually half their build cost.  At 270 for a 6 man squad, to reinforce should cost 45 points at 22 points, you can use them to soak losses with little fear.  That makes them the best unit to take over dropped weaponry.  With the allies, I've taken to always having a halftrack somewhere near the front so I can reinforce my infantry on the go.  As they pickup new weapons, I put them in places to cover me if I have to retreat.  Just make sure to retreat your infantry before they're all killed off.  I suppose the low riflemen reinforcement cost is to offset the fact that they have to get their experience upgrades the old fashioned way.  Likewise, if you're axis, make sure you finish off those riflemen squads or you'll be seeing them again and again.

I've been using armored cars a lot more since I usually fight hard for fuel points.  If there's a high value fuel point near your base at the start of the map, go ahead and put an obervation post on it to get your fuel incoming started early.  It may cost you some territory farther up as you have fewer early units to take territory, but you can get out armored cars pretty quickly, and those can last a while if you push hard with them.  Just make sure you get the 50cal upgrade for them so they can suppress enemy infantry, otherwise you risk getting killed by panzershreks or sticky bombs.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2006, 06:23:11 PM »

Can the halftracks reinforce troops even if the halftrack has been upgraded to the 4 MGs?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2006, 06:28:04 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 21, 2006, 06:23:11 PM

Can the halftracks reinforce troops even if the halftrack has been upgraded to the 4 MGs?

Great question!  I love these threads...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2006, 07:16:44 PM »

Wait, you can reinforce infantry from half-tracks?  Is this shit in the manual?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2006, 07:23:25 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 21, 2006, 06:28:04 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on September 21, 2006, 06:23:11 PM

Great question!  I love these threads...

The answer (IIRC, I've not looked at the game in three days) is yes.  You just lose the capability to move troops in the halftrack.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2006, 07:36:32 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on September 21, 2006, 07:16:44 PM

Wait, you can reinforce infantry from half-tracks?  Is this shit in the manual?

The manual really sucks.  And no.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2006, 08:04:47 PM »

No, what?  How do you reinforce infantry from the half-track?  Do you have to manually load them up in there, like they're a troop transport?  Or do you use the reinforce button, like they're a forward base?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2006, 08:09:02 PM »

When the troop is near a half track, the reinforce button becomes available. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2006, 08:56:27 PM »

In one of the tutorial missions the narrator makes a comment, something like "you can also reinforce from a forward base or a halftrack".

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2006, 09:36:51 PM »

I know this is a long shot, but is there a way to change your retreat point from the HQ to something else?  It'd be great if you could have everyone regroup at a forward base, although I suppose that would alter the game balance quite a bit.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2006, 09:48:53 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 21, 2006, 09:36:51 PM

I know this is a long shot, but is there a way to change your retreat point from the HQ to something else?  It'd be great if you could have everyone regroup at a forward base, although I suppose that would alter the game balance quite a bit.

I've wondered that myself in my last couple of games.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2006, 05:43:11 AM »

No.  Originally you could, but the devs found that it was just too easy for it to be exploited, especially with the defense and speed bonus you get from retreating.  Having your troops run all the way back to HQ and having to walk back is one of the balancing features for basically letting your infantry get away free from hopeless situations.

Don't underestimate the power of an APC without upgrades.  Early on if the main problem you're facing are MGs pinning your infantry, run them past those defenders in an APC.  As those defenders turn around to deal with the APC, you can move up the main attack force.  Heck, you can bring along some engineers to demo charge any bunkers in the way too.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2006, 06:38:21 AM »

What is the point of the retreating thing? What determines when they do it and when they don't. Like if I go to cap a remote ammo or fuel depot somewhere my guys just all of sudden run back.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: