http://gamingtrend.com
December 17, 2014, 11:27:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Company of Heroes Help needed  (Read 2419 times)
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 30, 2007, 04:28:56 PM »

I am on mission 11 I think where you have to defend Hill 162, or some such number, and all you start out with a few infrantry and a few engineers.  I have tried everything I can think of multiple times and they just swarm the hill and wipe me out.  Anyone beat this and have a working strat? 

This is the one where you have about 5 minutes before all hell breaks loose to build up what you can.  Also, while the hill is being attacked your HQ at Mortrain is being attacked.  I cannot even defend the hill well enough the freaking HQ. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Can't seem to get past this point. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 05:16:19 PM by mikeg » Logged

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 04:48:42 PM »

What do they use to attack the hill?

If it's infantry, you can try building MG emplacements at all entrypoints, then reinforce that with one squad of infantry and a mortar.  MGs pin the enemy, the infantry squad prevents them from getting by, the mortars kill them while they're stuck in place.

Do you use barbed wire and sandbags?  What about mines and tank traps?

If you need something more mobile than an MG emplacement, try normal MG squads behind sandbags.

One or two AT guns should be enough.  Swivel them to face any approaching tanks and use the armor piercing ability.

Do you make sure to leave gaps in those defenses so that enemies try to go through them single file so that they are more easily blasted by mortars and AT?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 04:55:23 PM by Turtle » Logged
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 05:15:47 PM »

I tried all that but apparently not effectively.  I will plod on and keep trying.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 05:22:10 PM »

I got to the hill mission and got tired of playing so started using cheat codes to remove the fog of war and a little patch that makes all my units in god mode. unfortunately it forced me to restart at the beginning so Im not back to that mission yet smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 05:29:54 PM »

Yeah, I have looked for cheats as well, but none of them were just what I was looking for.  God-mode is a little too over the top for me, but allow me to have artillery right off the bat or give me 1000 fuel and ammo-now, those would be really helpful. 

I, usually, am not a big fan of rts games quite simply because of this-the difficulty of some mission somewhere in the game stops me dead in my tracks and I never finish.  As a matter of fact in the past 10 years I have never finished an rts game I have started because of that.  I just get too frustrated and the fun goes out of it for me. 

I hope to beat this mission and go on because I would love to get Opposing Fronts, but not if I cannot even beat the first.  No way.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 06:17:55 PM »

I've actually never finished the CoH campaign, I've gotten as far as maybe the 4th or 5th mission and end up playing nothing but multiplayer.

Can you post screenshots showing the layout of the mission?  Also some arrows on the mission describing where enemies are most likely to attack from would be nice too.

Without knowledge of the terrain your're fighting on, it's difficult to

Also, do you pause to issue orders?  It's perfectly acceptable to do against a computer opponent since the AI can always manage more things than a human can at once.  Pausing to issue orders can be a real life saver in the single player campaign.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 07:27:48 PM »

Beh.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 01:36:48 AM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 07:58:38 PM »

I just went through the single player campaign last week before going on to the opposing fronts campaigns. Tips for "Mortain" aka "Defend Hill 317":

(I just played this scenario again and decided there are 4 main routes up the hill, not three).

First, visualize the map as a clock, with 12 o' clock pointing at the top of the screen, 3 o' clock to the right, and so on.

1. Your engineers can build defensive works for free. There are 4 main routes the Germans take to go up the hill. There is the wide path at 10-11 o' clock, a smaller path at 2 and 3 o' clock, and a path at 5 o' clock. Queue the engineers to build tank traps at these four routes. Hold down the shift key when clicking on the 'tank traps' icon to add it to the queue.

2. There are heavy MGs and AT guns lying on the ground, free to pick up. MGs are at the outposts you have to reinforce, and there are 2 AT's near the top of the hill. Take a squad and have it pick up an AT or MG. Then, take your depleted infantry squad, order it to retreat, then reinforce it back to full strength at HQ. Presto chango you now have heavy weapons and only had to pay manpower.

3. Capture the ammo and fuel points surrounding the hill right from the beginning. This will give you about 5 minutes of additional resources before the Germans start assaulting the hill.

4. There is an artillery battery on the hill. Add it to a hotkey (I use 0) and use the barrage capability for the first time ONLY when you see a large group of Germans on the hill. After that use it as needed. This way you don't end up wishing you had the arty available because you wasted the first strike on just 1 german squad. NOTE: The exception to this rule is if Germans are attacking Mortain OR attacking HQ. If they are, then feel free to use the arty to pound them.

5. Keypad0, keypad0, keypad0. Once the action gets heavy it is the only way to maintain situational awareness and figure out where the germans are and where you have to move your troops. If you hear "They got tanks", keypad 0. "We're getting shot up here." Keypad0.

6. One jeep has a large scouting radius. Put a jeep on the hill and you will be able to see where the Germans are sooner. The AT guns will then be able to fire further.

7. There is always something you can do, especially in the early minutes of the game. If you find yourself just waiting on squads to get reinforced then hit keypad0 and get those engineers to build barbed wire or sandbags for troops to hide behind. There should be no point when you're sitting back and doing nothing - you should always be building something - especially the free defensive structures.

8. The troops on the hill don't have to retreat back to HQ to get reinforced. Move them to the barracks that is near the objective on the hill and you can reinforce them there. Also build an aid station on the hill so that your casualties get picked up - you'll probably get 1-2 squads at least out of the casualties that you will take.

9. Try to build the outposts on all the ammo and fuel objectives. These give you VP points which let you advance up the tech tree faster. It also boosts the rate of gathering ammo resources, which means you'll be able to call in the artillery barrage more often. In fact, by building outposts I was able to get the artillery barrage ability just as the Germans were making their first big assault.

10. Another early use of the hill arty battery is to kill the Germans attacking the ranger squad in the building to the northeast of HQ. Bring a squad of infantry there, pound the Germans with arty, and then you get to use the Rangers. Arm them with SMGs and put them in reserve on the hill (by the barracks). Assign them to a hotkey and use them to kill any germans that get through your defensive lines. Especially the pesky German engineers with flamethrowers.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 09:52:19 PM by raydude » Logged

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 02:45:19 PM »

If I am thinking of the correct mission, you keep the assets you had in the previous mission.  You may want to go try the previous mission again and try to keep more stuff alive.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on October 05, 2007, 02:45:19 PM

If I am thinking of the correct mission, you keep the assets you had in the previous mission.  You may want to go try the previous mission again and try to keep more stuff alive.

After almost 20 tries, on Easy I might add, and always getting my ass handed to me, I give up.  I just don't have the stomach to go back, forwards, inwards, or anywhere with it.  It was great up to that hill defend and then the game went straight through the crapper.  Zero interest in the second now.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 04:50:01 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on October 05, 2007, 04:44:00 PM

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on October 05, 2007, 02:45:19 PM

After almost 20 tries, on Easy I might add, and always getting my ass handed to me, I give up.  I just don't have the stomach to go back, forwards, inwards, or anywhere with it.  It was great up to that hill defend and then the game went straight through the crapper.  Zero interest in the second now.

Yep - that is where I quit as well.  That one mission took me WAY too many retries.  :/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 04:59:06 PM »

Bah, I'll just have to beat the damn mission for you guys and give you saves.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 05:00:11 PM »

If there is interest, I can put up a link to a replay of this mission, or I can put up screenshots that show how I set up my defenses.

And Ike, I don't think you are thinking of the correct mission. Prior to Mortain is the mission to destroy all Panther tanks. At the end of that mission there is a cutscene where the Lt. gets killed. Then Able company gets assigned to Mortain where we're told it just has to "Hold the hill until oh six-thirty when Dog company will relieve us. Hopefully they'll have coffee."

The mission after that is Mortain counter-attack, where the units that survived Mortain will also show up.

There's also this nice little mission guide that shows where the Germans are going to appear:
http://guides.gamepressure.com/companyofheroes/guide.asp?ID=1465

Personally I thought St. Lo was the hardest because of the fact that the enemy would spawn out of nowhere from certain points. It got to the point in St. Lo where I would put tank traps around the spawn locations just so the German tanks couldn't ambush me in the back after I'd "cleared an area".

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 06:35:57 PM »

Maybe.  I would mention that I did finish the campaign on Normal, and I'm not very good, so it is possible.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 06:59:26 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 05, 2007, 04:59:06 PM

Guess so.  I would love to see a video play through of that mission.  Would be very helpful. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 07:19:52 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 05, 2007, 04:59:06 PM

Come on now...let's not act like this takes a pro  icon_wink
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 07:22:46 PM by Calvin » Logged
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 08:10:39 PM »

Based on the 3 LAN parties with my friends I can tell you that people fall generally into 1 of 2 camps:

The first camp has finally gotten the hang of using keypad-zero whenever trouble pops up. It helps quickly identify the nature of the trouble and figure out what to do about it. Heck, they even use keypad-zero for early warning. Ex: click a jeep, click into fog of war, click keypad0. Click the 'halt' hotkey when a German icon pops up.

The 2nd camp still hasn't gotten the idea of using keypad-zero yet. They still cling to the idea of using the minimap and scrolling in the main view to figure out where the trouble is, scroll in the main view to figure out where the closest "solution" is, and then scroll back to right click on the trouble. Ex: Rifle squad is being attacked by a tank! Scroll, scroll, scroll. A-ha, an AT gun! Click on it. Scroll, scroll, scroll back to the rifle squad. Right click on tank.

Those of us in the first camp have not had too much of a problem w/ the single-player campaign.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 08:40:47 PM »

I think that's the thing, perhaps the best new feature in CoH is the Tactical map accessed via the Keypad 0 button.  I use it all the time.  There could be more improvements but it's immensely useful for giving you a better overall view of the battle.  Not useful for when a heated battle is going on.  But if you need to see what's up with your teammates, or where things like arty fire is coming from, without scrolling around, it's very useful.

For the brit commando branch, the tactical map is even more useful after you place the radio triangulation.  It puts all enemy units in the triangle of radios on the minimap and tactical map.

I think part of the problem is that it's not covered well in the manual, in fact I'm sure I don't use it to its fullest.  I wonder if it's covered in more detail in the tutorials.

Anyway, by double clicking on any point on the tactical map, you can zoom your camera straight there and select any units near where you double clicked.  Selecting a unit in the tactical map and right clicking anywhere else gives that unit an attack move order.  I'm not sure what that other functions are.  But I'd really like to see them expand the features of the map to include things like a whiteboard so you can draw out what you plan to do in public games, rather than relying on map pings.

The key to remember was that the game was paced for those who make use of the tactical map.

Oh, and if hummels are giving you trouble and you have commandos, drop a Tetrarch behind the hummels.  A lot of players don't protect the hummels well enough and their armor is paper thin.  A tetrarch can usually kill one by itself before he can bring something to kill it.  If the hummels are bunched together just drop the quick arty on them.

I'm in love with the commandos branch for the brits in Opposing Fronts.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2007, 01:16:28 AM »

Huh. So I tried to see if I could save a replay of Mortain but.....is it me or are we not able to see replays of single-player missions? Somehow I thought we could do that. It would be nice. I'd love to be able to sit back and watch some of the more frenetic missions, especially on cinematic mode.

Any ideas anyone?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 02:56:28 AM »

Do we have a COH XP thread? I am pretty disappointed in the game so far...
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2007, 03:30:21 AM »

How come?

-Autistic Angel
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 12:59:53 PM »

Well, it looks like replay for single-player hasn't existed since v1.2 or something. So, I guess these screenshots and commentary will have to do:

Our first order of business is to block the approaches to hill 317, particularly the paths that German armor will be taking. First is the approach at 11 o'clock (11oc). To save time I'll make the engineers create tank traps that alternate back and forth - like the barriers at a Disneyland ride. This slows down the German armor and forces them to expose their flanks to my AT guns. Notice the medic station at 11oc. The mission starts with that already built. I'm going to leave it there because I know the Germans will spend time destroying it before moving up. Those few medics are going to be sacrificed to buy time for the rest of the unit

The second armored approach is at 3 o'clock (3oc). The engineers build tank traps at the bottom of the hill, to allow my AT guns to fire at maximum range. I'll need a jeep as well though. The jeep's scouting radius is much further than the AT gun so it will help expose the German tanks at long-range. The jeep will also be my insurance against German snipers, which I consider to be the most dangerous units on this mission. Tanks and infantry I can handle, but I've seen snipers eliminate entire MG and AT squads in short order.

While the engineers are working on the tank traps I send any nearby infantry squads to capture the remaining strategic points. I also have them create observation posts on several of them. These will give me increased resources while the OPs are up. More importantly they will slow the Germans down because they are more interested in capturing strategic points in their path than they are in going up the hill and eliminating my troops. The few minutes they spend destroying OPs are minutes that are not spent killing my guys. These squads (who do not start with any experience) will retreat back to HQ after building their OPs. They are the infantry reserve that will defend HQ and Mortain from German attacks.

The primary objective of securing and holding Hill 317 is being met, so now I turn to the secondary objective of securing Mortain. In an infantry battle my squads, equipped with the BAR, should be able to overcome the German infantry. It's the tanks and halftracks that I'm worried about. So, HQ builds another engineer unit that will then create tank traps to block the north and south entrances to Mortain. The engineer's will also build an OP on the point after that. Then the Germans will have to destroy the OP before they can capture the Mortain strategic point. By that time my artillery should be landing on them and I'll be able to send infantry from HQ to kill the rest.

A quick check on the engineers shows the tank traps at 11oc are complete. No rest for the weary! My engineers are set to work building barbed wire in a zig-zag pattern at 11oc. What I'm doing is trying to separate the tanks from the infantry. German tanks with infantry are nasty. The tanks will shoot with their main gun and MG guns while their infantry will prevent my infantry from closing to launch sticky bombs. But now the tank traps will force their tanks to become separated from their infantry, allowing me to kill them separately.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 08:35:44 PM »

Should also mention that at the mission start, you can pause and issue all these complex build orders before unpausing.

I really don't do this enough in multiplayer, which I why I keep getting overrun by Axis vehicles.  The problem is the new Brit army has no tank traps.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 09:22:33 PM »

An advance German raiding force is trying to take over one of our fuel points (12'oclock on the minimap). We're going to need the ranger's help to beat them back. The problem is, the Rangers are pinned down in a building northwest of Hill 317. Normally I'd be wary of sending just 1 squad against 2 German infantry and an MG. However, two things. The Germans are more interested in killing the rangers, and I have the hill artillery assigned to hotkey 1. A quick call to artillery and then a grenade strike to wipe out the stragglers.

This Ranger squad is worth its weight in gold. Its got three stripes which show that its a level 3 veteran unit. Upgrade it to use SMG's and it can take out that advance force all by itself. The inf squads that started the battle as newbies are going back to HQ. They'll be able to handle the Germans that will try to take Mortain. I need my veterans on the hill because that's where things will get ugly real fast. And I'll need veterans on the hill to kill the Germans as quickly as they appear.

Initial german attacks are scattered and they are wasting time trying to destroy the OPs instead of concentrating and hitting the hill. Its a good thing they aren't being played by a human. After destroying a defenseless OP these two german squads find that 3 MGs and an AT gun make for tougher opponents.

By destroying the germans quickly you'll often find yourself with lulls in the action. Take advantage of it by building even more defenses. In this case, 3 MG emplacements should lock down 11oc nicely. They should also be able to pin down (or hopefully kill) snipers before they get too close to my valueable AT and mortar units.

The combination of XP from building OPs and killing Germans have earned my squads the ability to build defensive structures. So my understrength inf squad goes to work mining the approaches to 2oc and putting up barbed wire as well. The rangers provide a nice reserve force if things get too dicey. Looks like the rangers lost 1 man in taking out that advance force. I'll make sure to reinforce them from the barracks during the next lull.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 09:56:21 PM »

These are awesome playthrus!  I wish we had more threads like this for RTS games.  I would probably enjoy them more and play more of them. 

By the way, all this stuff helped.  I beat that friggin mission. 

Thanks.   Now, I want to replay it and try some more of these suggestions and see if I can do it even easier.

Plus, I am scared what the next mission might entail.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 04:24:18 AM »

Man, thanks for the great help. I just finished the panther mission this morning and this should help a lot with Hill 317.

Ale
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: