http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 10:04:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Company of Heroes Beta Going Public ?  (Read 7365 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2006, 01:42:03 PM »

According to the rumor mill, the previously "Fileplanet Subscriber Only" Beta of Company of Heroes is going to be available to the public soon.

As far as I know, this is rumor only at this point, however, if true, and you're interested in RTS games, I seriously recommend giving it a go.

Now granted, I am one of the biggest Relic fans on the planet, but this game has (in my opinion of course) tremendous potential for being seriously awesome.  For a beta, it's already in pretty damn great shape.

Here is a link to the "announcement" that has people thinking it may be going public:

Planet CoH

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
docvego
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 04:09:41 PM »

The user that posted the comment on relicnews is a THQ employee so I'd say this is a pretty sure thing.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 05:50:51 PM »

It's true!  

Go get it... the game (even in beta form) is so damn fun.

Official Word

And they lifted the NDA, which was a smart move, cause the game (although not perfect, of course) is flat fantastic.

RON - I hope you see this.  Go get your key now my friend.  Run, run, run!     :wink:

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 07:05:43 PM »

Is there a friends/buddy system working in game?  I'd like to jump into some co-op games to practice with you guys before taking on humans.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 07:13:50 PM »

I am reasonably sure there is Turtle.  But if not, look for me anytime.

Even though I have been pimpin' the game the last few days, I am still like a babe in the woods with it.  So co-op is fine with me.

I go by Poncho online there.

LD

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 08:22:19 PM »

I usually go by Vanigan online since turtle is usually taken.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 08:58:10 PM »

RON - I hope you see this.  Go get your key now my friend.  Run, run, run!     :wink:

Got it!  I'm gonna be downloading it shortly (waiting in line...I feel like a sucker), but I've got my key and i'm accepted.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 09:41:21 PM »

Argh!  The download keeps stopping midway for me.

Are there any other links for this file?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 09:46:37 PM »

Not that I am aware of.  But honestly, there is no rush to get in (well, other than to try the tutorial), as the drop rate in games right now is quite high.  You may just be saving yourself frustration until they work out the overload I'm sure they are getting right now.  

Silver Lining and all...   :wink:

Ron - YES!  Can't wait to hook up and try some coop with ya brother.

LD

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 07:25:19 AM »

Well, I bit the bullet and downloaded fileplanet's download manager.  At least I can resume the file now.

Anyway, I should be done by tomorrow and since I have the day free, a friend and I are going to have a little lan party.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 07:31:31 AM »

Got the game, did the tutorials and played one multiplayer game so far. Looks great actually, basically DOW in WW2. Game could have been played at a lesser speed, but otherwise it was great - some connection problems however, though i believe that lies in the people i was playing, of course if you can download the 1.7 GB beta why are you having issues?

Anyways, i'm gonna have some fun with this one. CSLBC is my name on there, add me.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 09:17:16 AM »

Scratch that, they didn't accept Vanigan, so I've gone with my third alternate, "Vertrucio".
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 11:48:18 AM »

Well, the connection issues seemed to die down when I started playing with my friends, so I'm guessing part of it is what CSL said, and just crappy connections.

So far, there are two big problems I am having.  First, I tend to play this game much like I do DoW, which is, I go out and grab every strategic point I can very early.  In retrospect, I think this is spreading me way too thin, and I think I need to slow down my approach to taking new areas just a bit.  Second, I am having a tough time remembering where all my troops are, and I can't find a handy way to auto-locate them (although I may be missing something here).

I love the game, but I can not WAIT for a speed slider to slow things down just a notch.  My "planning" goes all to hell when I think things are moving too fast and I start to rush things.

Between "the 3 sites", there are quite a few of us playing now, so hooking up for games should be cake over the weekend.

LD

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 12:51:08 PM »

I'm REALLY enjoying this game thus far, based on the training stuff.  I'm looking forward to trying it out with some GTers!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 01:17:41 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I'm REALLY enjoying this game thus far...

I had a feeling you might.   :wink:  Glad you got in.

Being able to specialize in a particular branch of your armed forces really makes your gameplay decisions/style play differently in battle too.  I like that alot.

Last night, in one particular game (coop play against the AI), I went down the Infantry branch while my oldest nephew took the Armor branch.  In the middle of this particular 4-player map, sits a key Strategic Point along with a Manning Strat Point.  There is a torn down barn there and some natural (albeit weak) defenses.  We kept getting hit with tanks that really was ruining our day as we took and tried to defend the area.  I got there first, and used my soldiers to build some sweet L-Shaped sandwalls for better defense.  I followed it up by placing mines and tank-blocking thingies in the road.  The A.I. must have seen me, and came in guns ablazing.  Took me out pretty quick.  My nephew, seeing the action, came up behind me, and immediately put his men into defensive positions behind all the walls I made, and had a field day taking out the Germans as they tried desperately to skirt around my tank defenses and mines.   It was a great feeling of teamwork when you see your teammate use your constructions after you get taken out.  I bought him enough time with my little infantry skirmishes to get his superior armor rolling out, and he really took it to the Germans in the late game.  Combined arms and Combined tactics.  Just love it.

LD

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 08:15:30 PM »

DLed the demo and finished the tutorial.  Seems like a fun little game.  I'd be up for some multiplayer action over the next few days (don't work again 'till Wendesday) if folks are playing.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 10:48:40 PM »

I downloaded the demo and got the message that it wasn't a valid win 32 application. frown

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 10:53:54 PM »

Quote from: "Atragon"
I downloaded the demo and got the message that it wasn't a valid win 32 application. frown

Ugh, that sucks. frown

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 06:40:04 AM »

Haven't been able to get in, and stay in a game yet.  Somebody is always dropping, quitting when they are losing, etc.  Sucks. frown

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2006, 09:06:35 PM »

Today's been awkward.  Keep having problems with the connection to Relic.  The games I do manage to start end up pretty good.  Wish it was possible to practice 1-on-1 with bots to get used to the different factions and tech trees.

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2006, 09:10:20 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Is there a friends/buddy system working in game?  I'd like to jump into some co-op games to practice with you guys before taking on humans.

Looks like it is.  I know you can right-click names in the chat screen and there's an "Add to Friends List" option.  Have yet to see any of you guys online to try it out, though.  I'm CrayolaSmoker there as well.  Wouldn't mind a slower paced game amongst friends to explore the different units and whatnot.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2006, 06:13:14 AM »

Just started a list of names in the multiplayer forum.

There's also a small but growing list over at OO.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2006, 02:31:46 AM »

Well, the newest patch is in, which should (theoretically speaking) help some the connection issues.

Just an FYI.

LD

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2006, 03:14:33 AM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Well, the newest patch is in, which should (theoretically speaking) help some the connection issues.

Just an FYI.

Yay!  Hopefully I'll get the chance to test it out this weekend.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2006, 11:47:48 PM »

The stability goes in and out.  I've seen it stable with 1800 people on.  Then it was slightly shakey today with only 900.

And Raydude, man.  Fix your connection!  Tongue  He dropped on me in the middle of intense firefight with no warning.  I still won against two players though.  Kept them off balace by constantly pushing two fronts and getting out tanks before they could.

I've found out that the suppression fire ability that the US basic infantry get is extremely powerful  It can pin three enemy squads all by itself while it lasts.  This allows you to repel attacks with just a handful of troops.  It's costly to buy and use, but it's powerful.  So if you're playing germans and see at BAR on the ground, grab it.

One of the best ways to keep putting pressure on the enemy is to use bounding machineguns.  One machinegun covers the other while it's moving up, even better if you're moving from building to building.

Try to avoid small buildings when garrisoning, because I've found that one grenade or panzerfaust strike will kill everyone in those buildings.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2006, 01:26:42 AM »

PCGamer has an exclusive demo of the game in their October issue. They also reviewed it, giving a 96%.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2006, 03:30:07 AM »

Quote from: siege on August 13, 2006, 01:26:42 AM

PCGamer has an exclusive demo of the game in their October issue. They also reviewed it, giving a 96%.

They reviewed a beta game?   retard

My main complaints of COH stem for it "feels" a bit too fast, I would like it slowed down by about 25% or so to make it more tactical.  Other than the hideous online community - which is no different than most online games - I love the game.

I just wish they would turn on "Lan" mode so I don't  have to deal with random net turkeys, and I REALLY hope they improve the brainless AI, because the way the AI is right now, it is hopelessly retarded.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2006, 05:26:36 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on August 13, 2006, 03:30:07 AM

Quote from: siege on August 13, 2006, 01:26:42 AM

They reviewed a beta game?   retard

They could have reviewed a gold master duplicate for reviewing the game.  While it's pretty surprising that they'd have it done that early without us getting a PR that it had gone gold, it is possible.  I have had a couple of games reviewed that were not from actual retail releases.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2006, 01:41:10 PM »

Small Gamespot article on Single Player if interested and you didn't catch it yet...

Link

« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 01:42:46 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2006, 03:35:50 PM »

Is this beta still available?  Without my 360 I am jonesing for something to play.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2006, 05:48:01 PM »

It does appear closed to further entries at the moment - checking fileplanet.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2006, 06:26:54 PM »

Beta is closed for now at FP/3DGamers.

<whining snipped>

I just want Lan play and SP campaign mode so I can dispense with the pickup games with annoying gamers.  Oh, and I cry for a speed slider, the pace of the game is far too quick for me, and doesn't lend itself to great planning.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 08:05:51 PM by Kobra » Logged

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2006, 07:46:30 PM »

great.

LD

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2006, 06:20:43 AM »

This moved from a day-one purchase down to a "Wait and see" for me after playing it a ton.  I almost regret being in beta because the game will wear out so badly before it is released.  DOW was like that to some extent, while I still bought it, I didn't play it as much as I did in beta. I just finished a 2 hour game with my son where it started out casual with me learning to better play the USA, but ended up in a fight for my life because of nonsense game mechanics that are driving me insane.

* The pathing in the game needs major work, I kept getting my APCs and Tanks stuck in the middle of an open road for some unknown reason.  retard retard

* My son without hardly any resource points, was able to CHURN out stuff by salvaging my exploded gear.  I couldn't believe the way he could throw shit at me without any real pause despite a clear lack of capture points. 

* Americans are anemic in the game IMO.  Rifle squads are no match for Genadiers/KnightsCross or Upgraded Normal Germans.  Tanks, well, you know..  Artillery the germans have tremendous rockets as base units AND mortor teams, while the US has, uhh, mortors?

* I had every ammo and fuel point, but I was capped at +58, while my son with only a couple, had +80, whats up with that? Either a bug or Germans have a resource advantage.

* For the first time I realized US Anti-Tank guns can fire armor piercing, but you have to MICROMANAGE them to do it.  retard  Apparently the AI is too retarded to switch to AP when a Panther is breathing down their neck?  If you are a micro god, I guess this is ok, I am not, I suck at heavy micro.

* The german Ost flak tank thing is overpowered, and is a choice vehicle for early rushes into enemy bases, they chew up buildings and men BADLY, but do little to armor.  But if used properly, they are extremely overpowered considering they were less than stellar IRL.

* German Goliath = cheap.  Drop a bunker behind enemy lines and keep these puppies rolling into their base to destroy buildings.  What does the US have comparable?  Considering these were pretty weak, short ranged, and ineffective IRL, I think they shouldn't even be in the game.

* German buildings and bunkers are *WAY* tougher.. While US stuff is sheet metal and sandbags, and is pretty easy for even a light tank to take down.  While it takes some muscle to drop the german buildings/bunkers.

* German bunkers can be garrisoned, US cannot.  This is a pretty big advantage because german ones can fire to all sides, whilst the US one is limited to line of sight only.

* German buildings are all manned with MG42 teams, US have nothing.

* Mines are far too weak.  It takes 3-4 mine hits to take out a german light tank.

* For a special unit, paratroops seem pretty weak.  Upgraded basic german units wipe the floor with them, and it takes 5-6+ satchel charges to take out a basic concrete german reinforced bunker.  Junk.

Relic seems to have a fascination with the Nazi side.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2006, 09:37:12 AM »

* The pathing in the game needs major work, I kept getting my APCs and Tanks stuck in the middle of an open road for some unknown reason.  retard retard

Agreed.  Not only that, but tanks for some strange reason like to go into melee with the enemy if you give them an attack order.

* My son without hardly any resource points, was able to CHURN out stuff by salvaging my exploded gear.  I couldn't believe the way he could throw shit at me without any real pause despite a clear lack of capture points. 

Well, not sure if it was just salvage, but the blitzkrieg branch for the germans has an ability where you can turn 200 munitions into 1000 manpower.  Then another ability in the same branch allows them to call in more tanks for just manpower, no fuel required.

Also, did you upgrade your resource rate by buying the upgrades in the supply yard?  I'm not sure if those upgrades are at all that good since the germans always outproduce me.

* Americans are anemic in the game IMO.  Rifle squads are no match for Genadiers/KnightsCross or Upgraded Normal Germans.  Tanks, well, you know..  Artillery the germans have tremendous rockets as base units AND mortor teams, while the US has, uhh, mortors?

You're right, but also wrong.  The Americans are slightly more powerful early in the game, but quickly lose any advantage they had in the mid to late game.  Thus american players must win quickly or not at all.  Late in the game you face all those upgraded units, nasty german weaponry, and the inevitable swarms of german tanks that take forever to die.

This is balance based on pacing, and it's one of the things I hate when RTS designers use it.  Two forces should always be able to match up with each other, especially since it's very, very difficult to control the pace of a game as it unfolds.

* I had every ammo and fuel point, but I was capped at +58, while my son with only a couple, had +80, whats up with that? Either a bug or Germans have a resource advantage.

Also agreed, there is something seriously wrong with how much I can produce as allies compared to the Germans.  This is compounded by the fact that German stuff tends to survive a lot longer than allied units (at least the late game units do).  If I recall it was the Americans that were supposed to have the big production advantage.

* For the first time I realized US Anti-Tank guns can fire armor piercing, but you have to MICROMANAGE them to do it.  retard  Apparently the AI is too retarded to switch to AP when a Panther is breathing down their neck?  If you are a micro god, I guess this is ok, I am not, I suck at heavy micro.

This is one thing I really hate.  AT Guns are supposed to fire AT shells by default.  You have a gun designed to kill tanks, yet you load it with high explosive all the time?  Another reason I hate this is that eats up munitions like crazy just to deal with tanks.  They need to up the damage on the allied AT so that it stands a chance of fending off tank swarms.  Especially so since the firing angle on the gun is very narrow, way to narrow for how small the maps are and how fast the german tanks move.  Because of that it's likely you'll be firing straight into the front of the german tank.

On the whole, it requires too much use of microing and special abilities (and the munitions cost from those abilities) to deal with german tanks.  So when the tank swarms inevitably come out, it's simply too much to deal with.  Compared to US armor which is knocked out quite easily, and you simply can't produce the same amount of them as the germans, which is really odd since the allies were supposed to have at least 4 of them for every german tank.

* The german Ost flak tank thing is overpowered, and is a choice vehicle for early rushes into enemy bases, they chew up buildings and men BADLY, but do little to armor.  But if used properly, they are extremely overpowered considering they were less than stellar IRL.

Agreed, that flakpanzer is simply overpowered.  Sure, it's useless against tanks, but it obliterates anything else.

* German buildings and bunkers are *WAY* tougher.. While US stuff is sheet metal and sandbags, and is pretty easy for even a light tank to take down.  While it takes some muscle to drop the german buildings/bunkers.
* German bunkers can be garrisoned, US cannot.  This is a pretty big advantage because german ones can fire to all sides, whilst the US one is limited to line of sight only.

This isn't that bad, I kinda like the difference.  The main problem is that the US MG nest costs a lot more than a bunker equipped with the same.  I think it was 240 for a US MG nest while you can build a bunker for 150, the upgrade to an MG nest for 50 munition.  Then, as you mentioned, it takes a lot more to knock out that bunker than it does to kill the MG nest.

You're incorrect about garrisoning though.  You can put troops into US MG nests, and they will fire out the sides, try it, it works.  Unfortunately, it's also a big risk since that nest can be knocked out easily.

* German buildings are all manned with MG42 teams, US have nothing.

Incorrect, under the defensive branch of the German army there is an ability that mans all your base buildings with machineguns and allows you to reinforce near bunkers.  So this is fine by me since it's a strategic ability, and only an okay one at that.

* Mines are far too weak.  It takes 3-4 mine hits to take out a german light tank.

Yes, but mines knock out infantry easy.  Perhaps they should make two different kinds of mines.  Anti tank and anti infantry mines.

* For a special unit, paratroops seem pretty weak.  Upgraded basic german units wipe the floor with them, and it takes 5-6+ satchel charges to take out a basic concrete german reinforced bunker.  Junk.

Actually airborne are quite powerful if used correctly, the problem is as above, they're useless late in the game against a German player with the equivalent units.  Allied infantry just can't stay alive long enough in the late game.  Airborne can take upgrades like the recoilless rifle that allows them to kill hard targets like bunkers and tanks.  You can also drop in AT guns.

However, the germans get units that can knock airborne out of the sky, such as the flakpanzer and the 88.  In the case of the flakpanzer not only can it kill airborne before they're on the ground, but it'll kill them on the ground too.

Despite all this, the developers have been watching.  They've already said they've got a round of balance changes waiting to be patched in.  The problem is they're focusing on getting the Relic Online service working before they do anything else.  So, I think we'll see balance patches out in the near future now that RO is slowly getting more stable.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2006, 03:38:20 PM »

One thing I forgot to mention.

Germans are far superior with indirect fire.  As base units they have nebelwerfers, halftrack sturm rockets, and mortors..   The US only get mortors, and that is it for base indirect.  To me, this creates another pretty big imbalance about mid game when the germans can carpet rocket your ass step by step as they move Panthers and Knights Cross forward. (and Nebels eat up tanks/apcs)

I think as a base unit, US SHOULD get the 155 Howitzers AND the Priest Self-Propelled Howitzer, then the special defensive command line should get the 240MM Howitzers.  This would balance the game out a good bit.

Like I said, based on the units they gave the Germans, and the units they left out of Americans, they sure seem enamored with the Nazi's.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 03:41:24 PM by Kobra » Logged

SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2006, 03:50:34 PM »

I don't know why, but this game is slowly falling into "meh" territory for me.  Maybe it's just having two sides (which ties into the whole WWII thing).  I don't know.  I keep playing this game wishing it was Warhammer.  Or maybe I'm just burned out on all things WWII.  I don't know, but it's just not COMPELLING to me like DoW was.  I think I just need to get more games against actual people in, rather than compstomps.

Just Hiro will do.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2006, 04:05:16 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on August 14, 2006, 03:50:34 PM

I don't know why, but this game is slowly falling into "meh" territory for me.  Maybe it's just having two sides (which ties into the whole WWII thing).  I don't know.  I keep playing this game wishing it was Warhammer.  Or maybe I'm just burned out on all things WWII.  I don't know, but it's just not COMPELLING to me like DoW was.  I think I just need to get more games against actual people in, rather than compstomps.

I agree, it is solidly in the "Meh" territory for me and my sons after more play.  WWII is a bit old for us in games, but the lack of Japanese, Russian, and French errr.. Anyway, the lack of sides leaves me a bit "Flat" with the sterotypical US vs Nazi rehash.  Combined with the atrocious balance, and a bit too hectic game speed - we're anxious to get back to DoW or BFME2+Clords after playing COH.

I really hope Relic pulls out something big before this is released.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2006, 06:19:14 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on August 14, 2006, 03:50:34 PM

I much prefer this to DOW - maybe its the supply lines or I can emphasise with the units - either way i'm still having a blast. Very much looking forward to the campaigns etc.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2006, 09:57:06 PM »

I'd have no problems with having a bigger howitzer.  Tongue

I actually think the allies should get a pershing as a standard unit, and the armor branch makes just makes the more plentiful or adds experience/upgrades to sherman crews.

Despite the problems, this is still a buy for me.  The WW2 setting doesn't put me off since it's done so well.

Admittedly, the 2 armies with 3 branches each isn't exactly the most varied of games.  The thing is, the gameplay itself is a lot more nuanced than dawn of war.  So, I still think CoH with 2 armies and branches is still more nuanced than the original Dawn of War with no expansions.

All they need right now is a big balance patch to fix some things, and try some new methods of differentiating the two armies and branches.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: