http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 04:41:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Company of Heroes 2 - Now with GT Review on page 2!  (Read 4413 times)
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2013, 12:38:23 AM »

I honestly really, really regret purchasing the game.  It's just not good.  In any way.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2013, 02:44:59 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 03, 2013, 11:05:14 PM

Speaking as a big fan of the original Company of Heroes, I have to say I'm pretty baffled by how the sequel has been handled.  I mean, I haven't played CoH 2 for myself, but this Quick Look by the ever-diligent Brad Shoemaker makes it seem awful.
That quick look was cringe worthy.  You really shouldn’t get a Starcraft only RTS player to do a quick look on a Relic style game.  I felt really bad for his ally in the multiplayer match.

Quote from: gellar on July 04, 2013, 12:38:23 AM

I honestly really, really regret purchasing the game.  It's just not good.  In any way.
What is it that you don’t enjoy?  I find the campaign a bit lackluster after the excellent DoW2 campaigns but I am still having a blast with multiplayer.  Turtle and I actually had some awesome matches as Soviets the other night against some Germans who thought it would be a good idea bunker down all over the map.  At the end of the round they started whining about how lame it is that they lost because of our noob “artillery bullshit”.  icon_lol
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2013, 03:33:18 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on July 04, 2013, 02:44:59 AM

Quote from: gellar on July 04, 2013, 12:38:23 AM

What is it that you don’t enjoy?  I find the campaign a bit lackluster after the excellent DoW2 campaigns but I am still having a blast with multiplayer.  Turtle and I actually had some awesome matches as Soviets the other night against some Germans who thought it would be a good idea bunker down all over the map.  At the end of the round they started whining about how lame it is that they lost because of our noob “artillery bullshit”.  icon_lol

MP bothers me primarily because the games take too long.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2013, 04:07:44 AM »

That’s fair although I find it only slightly longer than DoW2.  Most matches seem to be 20-30 minutes for a 2v2 and slightly longer for a 3v3.  It really depends on how aggressive each side is though.  Also, more matches than not seem to end with surrender than having points tick all the way to zero.  Breaking the enemy spirit is more important than capturing points.  Thinking about it, that actually seems appropriate and intentional…
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2013, 07:16:50 AM »

All of the giant bomb guys can be pretty bad at games, but Brad is especially bad at everything save for a narrow niche. It would have been better if they'd gotten someone entirely new to games than to have a Starcraft player try it.

CoH is not about APMs and only partly about what you build. Furiously clicking all over the screen will just make your units confused.

I recommend checking out this Youtube channel, The Frontline Network, and watching some of the 1v1 replays they cast. They often have very skilled players and the two are pretty good at the game as well. They're currently casting the games from a $1000 tournament this week, so you can see how some skilled people play when it's on the line.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFrontlineNetwork

One thing I hate about Starcraft MP is that it's over too quickly, or drags out with crappy players turtling. It's never satisfying to have matches GGed in 3 minutes or so. I get more action in one matches of CoH1/2 than in a bunch of SC2 matches, especially since I'm not jumping through hoops just to get units out to fight.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2013, 06:10:15 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 04, 2013, 07:16:50 AM

All of the giant bomb guys can be pretty bad at games, but Brad is especially bad at everything save for a narrow niche. It would have been better if they'd gotten someone entirely new to games than to have a Starcraft player try it.

Hold on a second, Turtle.  Think about what you're saying.  Do you have any idea how careless and lazy a person would need to be in order to fail at a job that requires little more than slouching in front of a microphone and describing basic game mechanics?  You could pull a random volunteer off the street and have them do that in just a couple hours for free.

Brad Shoemaker is a professional game critic.  If his weekly work output could be easily replicated by an unpaid high school intern who once played a console game at his cousin's house, you'd think Brad would be fired for gross negligence.

Just think how terrible that would be.  Without Brad on staff, who would do the

-Autistic Angel
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2013, 06:34:08 PM »

While it was a bad example, I stand by my sentiment that finding a different gamer that wasn't entrenched in the Starcraft and DOTA style of gaming probably would have handled the quicklook a lot better.

Professional game critic doesn't make him a good game presenter, especially if he's bringing in baggage from other games. CoH changes of the formula so much from other RTS games that certain preconceptions will just make problems for you, you have to unlearn how to play that other style of RTS.

And one look at youtube shows that unpaid high school interns can actually replicate that work. Which is a scary thought sometimes. Although technically they do get paid for stuff they post on youtube.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2013, 11:11:40 PM »

Okay, Turtle, I'll make you a bet.

The purpose of a Quick Look is to demonstrate a game's features and show off some of its pros and cons.  In a little under an hour, Brad Shoemaker was able to show (or vaguely mention) three facts about Company of Heroes 2:

1) Infantry appear in squads instead of one at a time like in StarCraft 2,

2) You can zoom and rotate the camera, and

3) A real-time strategy game like CoH 2 plays differently than a multiplayer online battle arena game like DOTA.

If you can think of *four* facts about CoH 2 that a viewer might like to know and that a minimally knowledgeable player could have demonstrated in an hour of play -- things like the different factions, unit types, commanders, or abilities; the effects of squad experience; the new line-of-sight system; changes or improvements from the original game; the gameplay value of that DLC; the length or structure of the campaign; how winter maps affect gameplay -- I will admit the possibility that Brad Shoemaker is fucking terrible at his job.

Annnnnd.....GO!

-Autistic Angel
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2013, 12:57:16 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on July 04, 2013, 04:07:44 AM

That’s fair although I find it only slightly longer than DoW2.  Most matches seem to be 20-30 minutes for a 2v2 and slightly longer for a 3v3.  It really depends on how aggressive each side is though.  Also, more matches than not seem to end with surrender than having points tick all the way to zero.  Breaking the enemy spirit is more important than capturing points.  Thinking about it, that actually seems appropriate and intentional…

Yeah they are much longer for me (but that's likely because I'm not as good as you are).  I played a few 2v2s and they were definitely over 45 mins long and a few 3v3s that were extremely long.  Hiro, Nomo and I actually beat a team 9-0 and that game lasted 1:15.  That's just a ton of time.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2013, 03:39:59 AM »

Quote from: gellar on July 05, 2013, 12:57:16 AM

Yeah they are much longer for me (but that's likely because I'm not as good as you are).  I played a few 2v2s and they were definitely over 45 mins long and a few 3v3s that were extremely long.  Hiro, Nomo and I actually beat a team 9-0 and that game lasted 1:15.  That's just a ton of time.
Wow, that’s crazy long.  I can understand the frustration.  Either those were some incredibly contested VPs or they weren’t at all.  Generally speaking, if you can hold onto at least two VPs the tickets count down at a pretty good rate.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2013, 03:58:32 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on July 05, 2013, 03:39:59 AM

Quote from: gellar on July 05, 2013, 12:57:16 AM

Wow, that’s crazy long.  I can understand the frustration.  Either those were some incredibly contested VPs or they weren’t at all.  Generally speaking, if you can hold onto at least two VPs the tickets count down at a pretty good rate.

The issue I've seen is that most of the games spend a lot of time being 1-1-1 on the VPs, where the tickets don't go down at all.  We ended up winning the game by baiting the opposing team into a 2v2 at one point and 1v1 at another then sending random conscripts to cap the uncontested point constantly.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2013, 05:48:28 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 04, 2013, 11:11:40 PM

...snip...

Where the F* is this coming from all of a sudden? The GB crew doesn't need a giant bomb defense force.

VPs take time to tick down actually, they actually slowed down the rate in CoH2 down to CoH1 levels, which is a change I didn't agree with.

With newer players, it takes time to learn assaulting methods to keep the pressure going, which can lead to slower games.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 05:50:13 AM by Turtle » Logged
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2013, 05:29:05 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 05, 2013, 05:48:28 AM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 04, 2013, 11:11:40 PM

...snip...

Where the F* is this coming from all of a sudden? The GB crew doesn't need a giant bomb defense force.

Turtle, in my last post, I "defended" Brad by touting his ability to provide three facts in under an hour.  One of them was that CoH 2 is an RTS, not a MOBA.  Then I rattled off a long list of important gameplay features he never discussed and "dared" you to do a better job by saying anything about them at all.

Before that, I talked about how his weekly work output could be replicated by an unpaid intern in just a couple afternoon hours.

Respectfully, allow me to suggest there might be a hidden message to my posts that's failing to translate.  Try looking them over again, except this time imagine them delivered in an incredibly sarcastic tone of voice. slywink

-Autistic Angel
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2013, 05:43:14 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 05, 2013, 05:29:05 PM

Before that, I talked about how his weekly work output could be replicated by an unpaid intern in just a couple afternoon hours.

Respectfully, allow me to suggest there might be a hidden message to my posts that's failing to translate.  Try looking them over again, except this time imagine them delivered in an incredibly sarcastic tone of voice. slywink

-Autistic Angel

To be fair, I thought your first post sounded sarcastic but then you posted two more times so I started to believe you were being serious and were also completely nuts.   icon_razz

A lesson to be learned, sarcasm doesn’t translate well to text based message boards.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2013, 06:55:31 PM »

*Slaps forehead*

I really should not post on less than 2 hours sleep for the night. My PC exploded on my in the middle of night and I was scrambling to save some artwork I desperately needed to be okay.

It would be fully repaired by now with new parts, but stupid parents not telling me a huge bill had arrived until it was due yesterday delayed that.

Not in the best of moods, but at least working on getting my new rig up and running, just in time for a LAN party, and it should run CoH2 at ultra settings is a nice benefit.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2013, 11:32:26 PM »

sales suspended in Russia.

At the time of writing, almost 17,000 people had signed a petition asking Valve to pull the game from Steam in CIS territories in order to "protect the young people from [Company of Heroes 2's] propaganda".

Negative user reviews have also flooded Metacritic, lowering the average user score to 1.5.

"Your game dishonours memory of my ancestors. And the memory of Millions of soldiers and officers of the Red Army, whom liberated the world from the Nazi plague," wrote one user.

"I've never saw a game about the Great Patriotic War that has such big amount of lie and twisting of the historical facts. Your game is more like a product of the German propaganda of 1939-1945, and it's not the game which people play in free world in the 21st century."
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 11:47:02 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: