http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 10:02:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Command & Conquer The First Decade announced  (Read 2567 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2005, 10:06:46 PM »

Chertsey, UK – November 4, 2005 – Experience the award-winning Command & ConquerTM (C&C) series like never before! Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS) today announced, Command & ConquerTM The First Decade, one of the largest PC franchise compilations to date. Scheduled for release in February 2006, the title celebrates the 10th anniversary of this innovative franchise. This special collector's edition will include a dozen of your favorite C&C games spanning over the last ten years plus a bonus DVD of commemorative video features.

With over 23 million units sold worldwide to date, the C&C franchise has defined the Real-time strategy (RTS) genre with cutting-edge visuals, epic storylines, and rich mission complexities. The series has evolved over a decade, spawned over a dozen titles, and continues to be the genre benchmark by which all RTS games are measured. With its explosive style of warfare, the C&C franchise has grown over the years to span multiple fictional genres, including the science fiction Tiberium universe, the revisionist history of the Red AlertTM universe, and a twist on modern warfare with Command & ConquerTM Generals.

"Command & Conquer The First Decade offers RTS gamers a way to relive the history of C&C, and I'm thrilled to see this collection offered in one package," said Louis Castle, VP of Creative Development at EALA. "It seems like yesterday when we were all pleasantly surprised by the way the gaming community wanted to play this new type of strategy game."

The Command & Conquer The First Decade bonus DVD will feature a half-dozen exclusive video features including an interview with Louis Castle, who is also co-founder of Westwood Studios the creator of the C&C franchise. As a special bonus, C&C fans also have the opportunity to be featured on the exclusive DVD. The search is currently underway to find the world's biggest C&C fan that can showcase and prove their undying devotion to the C&C series via video submission. To find out more information, please visit www.CommandAndConquer.EA.com.

"Command & Conquer The First Decade is more than just another title in the C&C series. This is a monumental milestone in the lineage of the franchise—marking ten remarkable years of passionate fan dedication from one of the largest gaming communities," said Aaron Kaufman, C&C Community Manager at EALA. "I take great pride in being the C&C Community Manager and am committed to providing continued support to the millions of C&C fans. I look forward to seeing the video submissions for the bonus DVD!"

Command & Conquer The First Decade will combine the following titles:

# Command & ConquerTM (Aug. 1995)

# Command & Conquer The Covert OperationsTM (April 1996)

# Command & ConquerTM Red AlertTM (Oct. 1996)

# Command & ConquerTM Red Alert The AftermathTM (Sept. 1997)

# Command & Conquer Red Alert CounterstrikeTM (Mar. 1997)

# Command & ConquerTM Tiberian SunTM (Aug. 1999)

# Command & ConquerTM Tiberian SunTM Firestorm (Feb. 2000)

# Command & ConquerTM Red AlertTM 2 (Oct. 2000)

# Command & ConquerTM Yuri's RevengeTM (Oct. 2001)

# Command & Conquer RenegadeTM (Feb. 2002)

# Command & ConquerTM Generals (Feb. 2003)

# Command & ConquerTM Generals Zero Hour (Sept. 2003)

Command & Conquer The First Decade is under development at EA's Los Angeles studio.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 10:50:16 PM »

Wow, simply awesome.  Simply simply awesome.

TheMissingLink on PSN
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 02:40:47 AM »

Awesome!

I really enjoy the C&C series.  I look forward to revisiting some of the oldies.  Had a ton of fun with Red Alert 2 recently.  Still need to play Zero Hour.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 02:59:22 AM »

That is a lot of Commanding and Conquering.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 07:19:23 AM »

Buying.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 04:47:07 PM »

Price is $40.

GameSpot: First of all, happy birthday to the franchise. Ten years is quite an achievement. A couple questions about the bundle before we get to the nitty-gritty. $39.99, that seems like an awfully good deal for the package, especially for a top-tier franchise such as Command & Conquer. Why the low price point?
Louis Castle: We wanted to give back to our loyal community and avid fans and feel that this price point allows all of our fans a chance to own a great C&C collection, re-mastered to work on current operating systems, plus a special DVD of commemorative video features. We're also asking the C&C community to submit videos telling us why they are the biggest C&C fan and they may be featured on the DVD. It's a great way to let the fans feel a part of C&C history and help us celebrate the 10th anniversary. The compilation also serves as a great way for gamers to experience the series and get into the legendary franchise for the first time.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/commandconquer/news.html?sid=6139246

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 05:16:57 PM »

That is a whole lot of gaming goodness for such a low price...

greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 08:51:26 PM »

I might even pick it up, and I have -all- those titles already. It's a great pack; plus, who couldn't use an extra copy of Generals and Zero Hour? smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 11:04:09 PM »

This is just effingawesome. Presumably this is all XP optimized. OMFG, there is some great gaming in there. I will be buyign this day one.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 12:51:53 AM »

True that - I'm a big C&C fan.  I'm there on day one for this one.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 07:16:45 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
True that - I'm a big C&C fan.  I'm there on day one for this one.

Same here. I can't get Red Alert 2 to run on my XP machine and I love that game.

The idea of having all the C&C games on one disc and xp compatible is awesome.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 02:48:06 PM »

Are they being updated in any way?  I loved me some Red Alert (I still remain unbeaten!), but it's hard to go back when you are stuck in super low rez and can't zoom out any further.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2005, 07:00:55 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Are they being updated in any way?  I loved me some Red Alert (I still remain unbeaten!), but it's hard to go back when you are stuck in super low rez and can't zoom out any further.

Red Alert 2 holds up suprisingly well, since its 2d isometric stuff was so well done. Its still a little grainy and blocky, and the infantry is terrible, but its very playable, and is by far the better of the two smile

Not to mention Generals and Zero Hour both have fun single player and multiplayer that will be good to revisit.

The only thing missing from this is a game that utterly does not fit, but is a close second to RA2 as my favorite C&C game ever: the brilliant, underrated, tremendous for its time in 3D, Emperor: Battle For Dune.

Damn that game rocked.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 04:47:46 PM »

I don't care so much about the video interviews but I would really like to have an audio CD or at least be able to play the sountrack without starting the game.  Whatever the case, still a must-have for me.
Zap Rowsdower
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005, 06:56:25 PM »

Neat. It's good to see the DVD shovelware starting up.

I don't see Sole Survivor on the list though...
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2005, 07:08:16 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
This is just effingawesome. Presumably this is all XP optimized.

It would be great if it is, I'm just not entirely sure EA would bother.
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2005, 07:09:08 PM »

I think they are trying to forget it ever happened.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2005, 07:20:59 PM »

From the Gamespot article - "allows all of our fans a chance to own a great C&C collection, re-mastered to work on current operating systems".

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2005, 09:01:04 PM »

I WANT E:BFD!!
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2005, 10:31:09 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
I WANT E:BFD!!

I have it!  Woo! Worf and that fat guy from Who's Line is it Anyway?!

Just Hiro will do.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2005, 03:23:38 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
From the Gamespot article - "allows all of our fans a chance to own a great C&C collection, re-mastered to work on current operating systems".

cool smile
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2005, 10:37:59 PM »

Neato. I might just pick it up. Although I own most of the titles, C&C was a big reason why I became a PC gamer.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2005, 07:22:01 AM »

I still remember being absolutely astounded when I saw my little troops actually crawl on the ground, when they were being shot at.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2005, 09:54:05 AM »

Yeah, the original C&C was the second PC game I ever bought.

I had just finished Dune II and was jonesing for something new. I found out the same guys made C&C, read an issue of PCGamer that reviewed the game, then went out and bought it.

I still remember seeing the "Runs great on a Pentium Processor!" note on the side and wondering if my 486 would run it.

Turns out it ran just fine.

While I did have fun with Dune II, C&C is the biggest reason I became a PC gamer. It was so far above anything else I had played up to that date there was just no turning back.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2005, 12:16:45 AM »

Dune II!

When I was younger this game changed the world.  If this wasn't the first modern RTS it was the first one I ever played...

When the game came out (around 1993?) I wrote a gushing fanboy letter (via snail mail, even!) to Westwood Studios about how great this game was.  They were kind enough to write me back and tell me how glad they were, etc.  I framed it and kept it on the wall next to my computer.  I was sad when Westwood was assimilated but I bought everything they developed.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2005, 04:19:06 AM »

I remember coming home with C&C Red Alert with my friend.

We fired up a skirmish.

I saw you could build some sort of flamethrower trooper, and I promptly did that.  Then we both sat there amazed as it torched an infantry and watched the poor fellow run about on fire.

Ah the birth of gaming violence.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2005, 06:27:54 PM »

I have fond memories of command and conquer.  I got stuck at that mission where I had to get that stupid helicopter (as Nod).  Seth was starting to get a little jealous of me at that point.

But I recently fired up Emporer:C&C Dune style! and it was kinda ew.  I'm not used to the system anymore.  The stuff didn't age very well as opposed to Starcraft.

Just Hiro will do.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2005, 08:06:44 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
Yeah, the original C&C was the second PC game I ever bought.

I had just finished Dune II and was jonesing for something new. I found out the same guys made C&C, read an issue of PCGamer that reviewed the game, then went out and bought it.

I still remember seeing the "Runs great on a Pentium Processor!" note on the side and wondering if my 486 would run it.

Turns out it ran just fine.

While I did have fun with Dune II, C&C is the biggest reason I became a PC gamer. It was so far above anything else I had played up to that date there was just no turning back.

I think Dune 2 might have been my first RTS as well.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2005, 05:25:12 AM »

I would say C&C was one of my first "modern" PC games and definitely my first RTS. Before C&C, I mainly played TIE Fighter and MS Flight Sim along with some racing games.

The videos were also frigging great. Long after I grew tired of playing, the videos kept me going. The cheese factor was just right, same with Red Alert and Red Alert 2 (mmm, Tanya goodness)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2005, 08:12:28 AM »

Did you say Tanya?

Lemme check my brain.....yep, never saw ANY military women that looked like that.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2005, 10:07:42 PM »

Hell, I would pick it up for that price just to get RA 1 and tank rush all my friends.

Welcome to the Bovine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: