http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 06:48:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars Preview  (Read 3357 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 29, 2006, 07:00:18 PM »

My preview is written, just waiting on some last minute work.  I thought I'd share some awesome pictures that I can confirm are in-game shots.  We saw these in motion at E3.  Simply amazing for an RTS...

I talk about some of the fine detail effects in my preview, but I'll just point out how cool the downthrust looks on the Orca's jetwash.  *drool*

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 08:52:22 PM »

Is the terrain deformable?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 09:39:38 PM »

The scale bugs me.  Vehicles-to-troops-to-buildings... something's off.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 09:52:59 PM »

What's the current estimated release date? And what are the specs of the system running it?

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 10:19:22 PM »

Quote from: "Atragon"
What's the current estimated release date? And what are the specs of the system running it?

Yes, terrain was deformable.

The estimate is Summer 07.  They were running the demo on a Dell XPS M170 lappy (the same one I have) if I recall correctly.  Similarly, they were running Spore on the same gear.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 10:37:37 PM »

Looks nice, but any screens of the game actually being played?  Those screens (just like Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War) are zoomed in to a level where nobody will actually play it.  And I agree with CS, those troops are huge, especially when they are standing next to a skyscraper.

Still a long way off, but I hope the interface is good.  And hopefully no EA Trax.

Those screens are amazing.  You can see ripples below the orca over the (AMAZING) water.  Glad to see some different terrain (the city that is still standing) since I'd hate it all to be desolate wasteland.  Maybe I will have a new PC to play this on by then.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 10:46:59 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Looks nice, but any screens of the game actually being played?  Those screens (just like Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War) are zoomed in to a level where nobody will actually play it.  And I agree with CS, those troops are huge, especially when they are standing next to a skyscraper.

Still a long way off, but I hope the interface is good.  And hopefully no EA Trax.

Those screens are amazing.  You can see ripples below the orca over the (AMAZING) water.  Glad to see some different terrain (the city that is still standing) since I'd hate it all to be desolate wasteland.  Maybe I will have a new PC to play this on by then.

That actually was the game being played.  They didn't mention zoom, but in a fully 3d world it only makes sense.  

As far as the music goes, they won't get the original guy, Frank Klepacki, as he now works for Petroglyph.  More likely, they'll use Bill Brown, the guy who did the music for Generals.  He better start listening to old soundtracks...C&C fans are rabid about that sort of thing. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 10:50:35 PM »

One thing I don't like are those open helmeted infantry walking through a dense tiberium field.  Ouch.

One thing I'm most interested in for C&C3 is the metagame between missions.  It seems they're taking C&C's original pick a nation to attack and RoN's conquer the world mode and kicking it up a notch.

And I suspect the third faction that appears once you finish the two campaigns are aliens who originally seeded Earth with tiberium, and now they've come to harvest it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 10:54:13 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"

No, see, every building is equipped with technology that shrinks you and/or your vehicle to a size that can happily fit within whenever you get near. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 01:20:25 AM »

article is now up and on the front page!

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 06:32:23 AM »

Those shots are pretty, but I'm not blown away, simply because it looks like an appropriate graphical progression from the beautiful Battle for Middle Earth 2.  Nothing more, nothing less.

The troop scale makes a bit more sense when you consider that they're all equipped with power armor now.  C&C with Battletech Elementals, hmm.  And those oversized tanks are called Mammoth tanks for a reason, so presumably they're supposed to be that large.

Is that final shot of the troops walking through the tiberium field in the initial post supposed to be in-game, too?  It looks tweaked or concepted.  Been seeing a fair amount of that passing pre-rendered movies/concepted screenshots off as in-game crap ever since Sony tried to convince us last year that the Killzone E3 footage was real.  New Rainbow Six, Eight Days even added a cross hair to their E3 pre-render.  Ugh, stop with the deception already.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 06:42:22 AM »

No more word on the meta game?  I recall they did give out a bit more information, like being able to attack certain parts of a territory, building up structures in territories and such.

And that about confirms that the third faction are aliens.  And most likely they seeded the world with tiberium and are here to harvest it.

I wonder if they'll include country specific advantages in multiplayer this time?  Things like sub-factions such as Kane led nod, or splinter nod factions along side various GDI member states.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 06:44:38 AM »

Is that final shot of the troops walking through the tiberium field in the initial post supposed to be in-game, too?

Nope, that last shot is a concept art.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 06:45:19 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
No more word on the meta game?  I recall they did give out a bit more information, like being able to attack certain parts of a territory, building up structures in territories and such.

And that about confirms that the third faction are aliens.  And most likely they seeded the world with tiberium and are here to harvest it.

I wonder if they'll include country specific advantages in multiplayer this time?  Things like sub-factions such as Kane led nod, or splinter nod factions along side various GDI member states.

They were really cagey with information and didn't allow us to ask a single question before being ushered out.  It was like "We are showing you this, and that is it.  Get out."

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 03:55:56 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

They were really cagey with information and didn't allow us to ask a single question before being ushered out.  It was like "We are showing you this, and that is it.  Get out."

True, but the preview we saw in that room pretty much confirmed that aliens were coming. Until then I'd been unaware there was a third playable faction, but it makes sense that it would be "them."

EDIT: Just read through the article and you said as much up front. That was the moment I got chills in the room, and not just because they had the AC cranked. Also, watching the water effects in-game were stunning.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 04:35:24 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"

Yeah, that tank is as wide as one of the skyscrapers.   :o
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 10:45:04 PM »

The last pic looks like concept artwork.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 11:30:47 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
The last pic looks like concept artwork.

*Points up about 4 posts*

PostPosted: 29 May 2006 11:44 pm    
Is that final shot of the troops walking through the tiberium field in the initial post supposed to be in-game, too?

Nope, that last shot is a concept art.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 12:03:30 AM »

Wow, that last screenshot looks like concept art.

:twisted:

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 01:25:30 AM »

I could swear that last shot is concept art.

Cool
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 01:57:47 AM »

Crazy fog and GENERIC lens flare?  Gotta be a render. :idea:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 05:09:02 AM »

Hey, I'm a busy man.  I can't be bothered to read every little post  Tongue
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 02:27:09 AM »

I'm a huge fan of the C&C series... but this one looks a bit too similar to Generals, and the funny thing is a lot of the features they are flaunting are the same ones they were flaunting for Generals. I sense rehash  :?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
unbreakable
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 12:21:46 AM »

EA, put out a rehash?  
NEVER!!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2006, 04:47:30 AM »

One thing I really hope is that basic infantry is actually useful this time around.

In Generals, ground pounders got the shaft as infantry were just completely useless, even if garrissoned.  I hope they either make them tougher, or find a way that makes infantry more useful in combat without micromanaging them.

I suppose I'll have to wait for Company of Heroes for that.
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2006, 06:14:12 AM »

You shouldn't have to wait for Company of Heroes since it's supposed to come out a good 6 months before C&C 3.  September '06 vs. sometime in '07.  I'd bet on at least 6 months.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2006, 07:02:00 AM »

Ah, well then, C&C3 will have some serious competition.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2006, 01:33:31 PM »

This franchise essentially started me into online gaming, so I'll definitely check it out when it comes alone. The graphics look great and if it plays like Red Alert did, I'm sure my life will soon become this game.

Also, to echo someone's earlier concern, the dudes are almost as big as the entire tanks...it looks totally wierd. It also appears as if one man is the same size as the flying jets. I wonder who's piloting them?

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2006, 03:01:34 PM »

Um, guys, this has been happening in every RTS game since the genre was created.

It's called scale compression.  If you make infantry as small as they're supposed to be, you'd have to zoom in way too far to see any of them in action.  Same goes for tanks.

Just don't worry about it, I mean, if you really look, it happens in almost any game.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2006, 03:08:58 PM »

Um, guys, this has been happening in every RTS game since the genre was created.

It's called scale compression.  If you make infantry as small as they're supposed to be, you'd have to zoom in way too far to see any of them in action.  Same goes for tanks.

Just don't worry about it, I mean, if you really look, it happens in almost any game.

+1 to the reasons I can't wait for Supreme Commander
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2006, 03:44:40 PM »

So this doesn't have anything to do with the fact that infantry are wearing bulky Tribes/Elemental mech suits?  Or that the oversized tanks are Mammoth Tanks that are supposed to be gigantic?  I'm sure scale compression is a factor in these screens, but I think some of the units are larger than life by design, too.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2006, 04:09:32 PM »

Didn't know if you saw it or not, but here's a new screenshot from Shacknews:

http://www.shacknews.com/screens.x/cnc3/Command+&+Conquer+3:+Tiberium+Wars/1/060306/060306_cnc3.jpg

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2006, 09:25:10 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

http://www.shacknews.com/screens.x/cnc3/Command+&+Conquer+3:+Tiberium+Wars/1/060306/060306_cnc3.jpg
Hmm...now this one looks far more normal.

SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2006, 09:38:02 PM »

As I understand it, they're bringing back the ol' sidebar menu again.  I don't know if it's going to be a PURE side-bar menu... I thought the BFME2 interface was pretty damn slick.

Just Hiro will do.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2006, 10:34:39 PM »

Quote from: "jimmyorr99"
Quote from: "Destructor"
Hmm...now this one looks far more normal.

'cause people are routinely tall enough to hit their head on a billboard...

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2006, 12:40:52 AM »

Got that pic uploaded - I'll have the first Podcast hosted up shortly as well.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2006, 01:15:56 AM »

....and the podcast is up.  Hit the front page. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2006, 12:30:03 AM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"
I could swear that last shot is concept art.

Cool

'Zactly

biggrin

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2006, 05:40:16 PM »

Quote from: "Luke"

So this doesn't have anything to do with the fact that infantry are wearing bulky Tribes/Elemental mech suits?  
Yeah, I actually think that's the thing after looking at it a bit.

sclick
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2006, 10:13:03 PM »

That's true, but the problem is that the environments are becoming hyper-realistic. The discrepancy is scale is starting to stand out more, I think.

And there's nothing to say that a realistically scaled game couldn't work well ... it would just need to be designed as such. I'm sure there are probably some examples of this even today. One approach is to use squads of the little guys (base troops) rather than individuals.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: