http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 10:44:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Come to this thread when you've beaten Halo 3 (ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK)  (Read 4673 times)
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2007, 06:32:51 AM »

Welp, finally finished it. Played through Solo on Legendary to round out my Halo experience (probably have finished the first on Legendary about 6 times, 2nd one only once). Lots of intense firefights where I barely had enough ammo to get through.

Definately more enjoyable than 2, and ties things up pretty well.

Level 8 wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't awful. I thought the first half was pretty hard, but once you get Cortana back, its pretty easy from there on out.

Level 7 was definately the standout level. Infact, most of the levels which included vehicles were great fun. Double Mongooses running through the feet of the first Scarab, firing rockets left and right was a great experience.

Edit: The Flood level on earth was great. Awsome atmosphere.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2007, 03:07:53 PM »

Quote from: madpeon on October 05, 2007, 06:32:51 AM

Infact, most of the levels which included vehicles were great fun.

I have to agree with that.  the final Scarabs fight with the Valkyries was a blast-  I managed to land on the first one, jump out and take out the power supply, jump back in the Valk and proceed to do the same thing with the other Scarab.  Heck, the Scarab fights were probably the best part parts 2 & 3, followed closely by the Warthog escapes.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2007, 04:53:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 30, 2007, 10:40:11 PM

finished the game out of a feeling of obligation to see how it ends more than anything else.  final rating:  'meh'.

Same here. 

I kept waiting for some major revelations or something, and nothing.  Master Chief, still unseen, takes a nap.  Blah.  I don't give a crap about it playing homage to anything.  I wanted it to make its own homagable ending.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2007, 04:58:51 PM »

I thought it was a good ending, homage or not.  It gives the proceedings just enough melancholy to avoid being a Yub! Yub! celebration without being a complete downer.  Plus it sets up future games in an interesting manner because they can:

a) Fast Forward however far they want into the future and jettison any needed baggage from the current mythology while retain Master Chief and Cortana as leads.

b) Give MC a new adventure without having to bring in the Coveneant/Flood/UNSC etc. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2007, 05:32:25 PM »

c) frees the Elites to be allies/enemies

d) allows another spartan / new revision to take up new conquering forces etc.

I hate Happily Ever After; I think that MC has had enough close calls that this last time he didn't "make the cut".

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2007, 04:39:08 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on September 27, 2007, 06:40:05 AM

Man, I really want to replay campaign co-op...but just the THOUGHT of going through act 8 again...Ugh.  Worst level in any FPS I've ever played, seriously.

The alien levels in half life still sucks more than Act 8 in Halo 3.  Although, it's close.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2007, 04:47:06 AM »

Finished the game tonight.  Overall it's the better of the series.  I didn't like halo 1, the level design was horrible, and overall the game wasn't as good as everyone was saying.  Halo2 improved a bit on the level design, but it still was boring.  Halo 3 the level design was awesome (except act Cool  Everything seemed balanced, levels didn't feel repetitious, and overall, I had fun.  I came in expecting I wouldn't like due to the first two games, but it took me by surprise.  However the sound was horrible on my TV.  It might be my set up since I don't have it plugged in my stereo, but during the cutscenes it was really hard to understand everyone except for the human race.  So the story was quite fuzzy, especially when the flying globe dude talks.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2007, 02:52:38 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 30, 2007, 04:26:21 PM

Then there's also the flood samples on every single Halo.

That's the biggest part I don't get, and haven't understood since H1.  Why, exactly, are there flood samples on the rings?

Other than that, though, I loved the game.  Keep in mind that I played all 3 games in quick succession, so I was able to experience them as one continuous narrative.  I saw considerable improvement from each one to the next.  The first was a fairly plain vanilla shooter, but I really enjoyed how made the characters more human as the series went on.  Of course, I especially liked the MC and Cortana characters.  I thought it got a little too sappy at the end ("I'll miss you"?  Really?), but I liked the search for Cortana subplot in H3 a lot.

Level 8 didn't bother me that much.  Yes, I had to repeat it a lot until I got throught it.  I'm surprised that no one mentioned the flamethrower on that level.  That was almost the only weapon I used on that level, as it was both useful and enjoyable.

Looking forward to playing it again co-op on Legendary.  And of course, as much online MP as possible.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2007, 05:40:34 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on October 07, 2007, 02:52:38 PM

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the flamethrower on that level. 

crybaby  I did!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2007, 05:47:13 AM »

Just finished solo on Heroic.  I'm a fan of the Halo story and I liked the campaign for this one.  I agree that level 8 sucked, but for me, the worst part was the god damn brute hallway in level 2.  I spent forever trying to clear that.

Overall great game.  I'm loving the MP as well.  Bioshock is my GOTY still, but I'm glad to have played through this one.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2007, 05:49:15 AM »

Also, Cortana said that they made it through just as the portal collapsed.   They would have died in the Halo firing explosion.  The "some of us made it" comment was for the crew they show drifting in space when that piece of the voice-over plays.  Why they did not appear back on Earth, I don't know.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2007, 02:34:52 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 08, 2007, 05:49:15 AM

Also, Cortana said that they made it through just as the portal collapsed.   They would have died in the Halo firing explosion.  The "some of us made it" comment was for the crew they show drifting in space when that piece of the voice-over plays.  Why they did not appear back on Earth, I don't know.

I was reading Wikipedia about the Halo 3 story and their portal that did not lead to Earth was attributed to the Ark portal not being stable by the time they had gone through.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2007, 03:41:06 PM »

Leo, that's post padding. Edit your original. slywink

JK... thanks for looking that one up for us.

I love the name of one of the localization people: Mei-Mei Bong. I'm going to name my next child that.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2007, 04:46:03 AM »

I've got to say that levels 2 and 8 were my least favorite. Level 2 because I was still getting used to Heroic difficulty (I did speed runs on Halo 1 and Halo 2 on easy) and that brute with the hammer in the hallway was murder. Level 8 because of the lovely brown on brown scheme. Oh yes, and the shooty bugs hiding in the mist and peppering you with darts.

One thing to note about the ending, the Arbiter thinks the Chief is dead, and vice versa most likely...

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2007, 06:17:48 AM »

Finished it tonight as well.  The final movie with the reveal of Onyx gave me chills, but other than that it was kind of meh.  Act 8 was horrid as everyone mentioned, and I thought Act 9 was just as bad up to the jeep race.  Very anti-climatic way to end the series IMHO (although the Marathon tie-in at the end was awesome).

That said, I haven't tired of mutliplayer nearly as quickly as I thought I would - more Pirates/Rocket Race for quite some time smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2007, 11:27:54 AM »

Onyx?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2007, 11:53:18 AM »

Reference to a Halo novel- Ghosts of Onyx.  I'm almost done listening to the audio book and I remain baffled why everyone thinks the Halo books are a cut above other tie-in material.  Completely mediocre. 

That said, I'm not sure why people think the planet at the end of Halo 3 is Onyx.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2007, 01:37:33 PM »

I'm lost here... What planet at the end? And what's Marathon's storyline? Does it include a re-awakened cyborg supersoldier?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2007, 02:15:36 PM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on October 10, 2007, 01:37:33 PM

I'm lost here... What planet at the end? And what's Marathon's storyline? Does it include a re-awakened cyborg supersoldier?

You have to see the Legendary ending (easily available on Youtube) to see a small segment with the disabled ship Chief and Cortana are in floating toward an unnamed planet. 

I'm not completely up on Marathon's storyline but IIRC it does feature a re-awakened cyborg supersoldier.  I don't know if they've since backed away from it, but one of the Bungie higher ups (either Joseph Staten or Jason Jones) stated in 2002 that the Master Chief was indeed the protagonist of Marathon. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2007, 10:53:32 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 10, 2007, 11:53:18 AM

Reference to a Halo novel- Ghosts of Onyx.  I'm almost done listening to the audio book and I remain baffled why everyone thinks the Halo books are a cut above other tie-in material.  Completely mediocre. 

That said, I'm not sure why people think the planet at the end of Halo 3 is Onyx.

I am not entirely sure where this comes from, especially since Onyx spoiler:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I think Onyx was supposedly destroyed.
. I know some people also think it might be Marathon, but I am fairly sure the intent was that it be a forerunner planet-if not THE forerunner planet.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2007, 10:58:02 PM »

Nah,
Spoiler for Hiden:
Onyx wasn't destroyed though it was "transformed" into something closer to a death star than a planet.
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2007, 11:55:23 PM »

A followup question, what's the 'easiest' way to see the legendary ending video, play chapter 9 on legendary?

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2007, 12:05:41 AM »

Quote from: Atragon on October 10, 2007, 11:55:23 PM

A followup question, what's the 'easiest' way to see the legendary ending video, play chapter 9 on legendary?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezd3uAiN6uA

LiveTAG: happydog
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2007, 12:11:28 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 10, 2007, 10:58:02 PM

Nah,
Spoiler for Hiden:
Onyx wasn't destroyed though it was "transformed" into something closer to a death star than a planet.
Ah, well that still would not really work with the ending we see here. I think the Forerunner explanation is best.
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2007, 12:12:58 AM »

Quote from: happydog on October 11, 2007, 12:05:41 AM

I should have said 'to see it in all its HD glory' slywink

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2007, 12:35:39 AM »

Quote from: Atragon on October 11, 2007, 12:12:58 AM

Quote from: happydog on October 11, 2007, 12:05:41 AM

I should have said 'to see it in all its HD glory' slywink

you might have to play it all the way through.  the video might be linked to the Legendary completion achievement.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2007, 01:30:52 AM »

You don't even need to do that - just load up the very last save point in chapter 9 on Legendary and play from there.

You will NOT get the achievement unless you play the entire game on Legendary. You will however get the video upon beating the game on Legendary, even if it was a checkpoint save.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2007, 02:47:58 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 11, 2007, 01:30:52 AM

You don't even need to do that - just load up the very last save point in chapter 9 on Legendary and play from there.

You will NOT get the achievement unless you play the entire game on Legendary. You will however get the video upon beating the game on Legendary, even if it was a checkpoint save.

sshhhhh!  we want to get him to do the whole game on legendary  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2007, 03:04:44 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 11, 2007, 02:47:58 AM

Nice try, I have no desire to torture myself with level 8 again... only with MORE enemies.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2007, 03:06:09 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 11, 2007, 02:47:58 AM

Man is that even possible?  I had some super tough parts going solo through Heroic, I can't imagine how much more difficult they would be!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2007, 11:43:12 PM »

Finished it tonight.  I didn't mind level 8 that much.  For some reason level 9 gave me fits.  For a while I was going in circles because everything looked the same to me.

I promised myself I wouldn't play multiplayer until I finished the campaign at least once.  Looking forward to digging into MP starting next week.

I still haven't finished Bioshock yet so I won't compare the two games.  I thought Halo 3 was the best of the series for single player.

"Wake me.......when you need me."

I got the feeling that was a message from Bungie to Microsoft as much as from MC to Cortana.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2007, 04:44:15 AM »

I just finished the SP campaign on Heroic and I have a question no one has brought up thus far.

One of my favorite Halo 3 commericals was the Master Chief Momument.

In it, it shows a brute holding MC by the neck and all kinds of hell breaking loose between the humans and the brutes.

It also shows MC holding a plasma and I always was wondering, what happens there? I checked out the Halo 3 website and the scene has the following description: "Spartan-117 turned the tide in the battle for New Mobassa. By allowing his own capture, the Master Chief set in motion events that have sealed his title as Earth's greatest hero."

Damn, if I can remember this happening in the game. Did I miss a level?

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2007, 04:45:48 AM »

Quote from: Scoop20906 on November 07, 2007, 04:44:15 AM

I just finished the SP campaign on Heroic and I have a question no one has brought up thus far.

One of my favorite Halo 3 commericals was the Master Chief Momument.

In it, it shows a brute holding MC by the neck and all kinds of hell breaking loose between the humans and the brutes.

It also shows MC holding a plasma and I always was wondering, what happens there? I checked out the Halo 3 website and the scene has the following description: "Spartan-117 turned the tide in the battle for New Mobassa. By allowing his own capture, the Master Chief set in motion events that have sealed his title as Earth's greatest hero."

Damn, if I can remember this happening in the game. Did I miss a level?

Nope, the ad guys just came up with cool stuff, it had nothing to do with the game really.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2007, 04:52:01 AM »

Thanks for the quick response, leo8877.

But that is a real pisser.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2007, 06:28:11 AM »

Kind of tells you something when the marketing for a game can come up with better story points than the company making the game.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2007, 01:25:52 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 07, 2007, 06:28:11 AM

Kind of tells you something when the marketing for a game can come up with better story points than the company making the game.

+1. The monument website has a far better story than the game itself.

I finished the campaign a week or so ago and I'm glad some folks enjoyed it: I found it wholly forgettable, trite and very poorly written. In fact, I'm disgusted with how bad it was given the time and resources put into it. Could they not have come up with a better ending with better writing that didn't rely on every hackneyed story convention ("Did you think I was defeated?!" ?

Anyway, if it weren't for the incredible MP the game would be a total loss.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2007, 02:00:11 PM »

Hyperbole much? "Total Loss". Yeah, that's what it is.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2007, 02:19:58 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 07, 2007, 02:00:11 PM

Reading comprehend much?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2007, 03:23:02 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 07, 2007, 02:19:58 PM

Quote from: Purge on November 07, 2007, 02:00:11 PM

Reading comprehend much?

butter your toast much?

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2007, 03:55:57 PM »

/shrug 

I like the Halo story and Universe. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: