http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 12:32:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Come to this thread when you've beaten Halo 3 (ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK)  (Read 4645 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2007, 09:37:44 AM »

NO spoiler tags will be used in this discussion of Halo 3, because if you read the subject, this thread is all about Halo 3, the ending, the entire game, etc.

Firstly, I need to just say this: Act 8 was the most poorly designed level in Halo series history.  What an absolutely SHITTY level.  If you don't remember (and I'm sure you do), it was strictly Flood within their ship (?).  I don't know where it was at, to be honest.  Either way, I ran through most of the level.  Cut down some enemies here and there, but wow, wht a horrible level.  I was really worried how the last level was going to turn out...

And fortunately, it turned out fine.  It was a nice homage to the original Halo.  343 Guilty Spark was a bit of a pushover, unfortunately, but it's not like Halo's known for its boss fights biggrin

I didn't mind the Flood, with the exception of the awful act 8.  There's no way I'm going through that level of the game again by myself. 

Act 7 was a highlight, when Master Chief works with the flood.  By the way, what happened there?  All of a sudden, Truth gets killed, and I'm killing Flood to escape.  I was a bit confused.  Still am, actually.

I don't even understand the ending.  Did Master Chief survive?  Were there any scenes during/after the credits?  I hit a button on the Bungie thank you and never got the chance to see the credits.

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 09:50:32 AM »

Annnnnnnnnd checking Youtube, I definitely missed some stuff by hitting a button on that Bungie screen.  That answers a few questions...

TheMissingLink on PSN
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 09:54:43 AM »

Same here I hit the button and level 8 was just a run through.

I played through the game in Coop and it is a blast.  We played straight through on heroic. 8 hours so not too bad now for multiplayer.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 04:45:33 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on September 26, 2007, 09:37:44 AM

Firstly, I need to just say this: Act 8 was the most poorly designed level in Halo series history.  What an absolutely SHITTY level.  If you don't remember (and I'm sure you do), it was strictly Flood within their ship (?).  I don't know where it was at, to be honest.  Either way, I ran through most of the level.  Cut down some enemies here and there, but wow, wht a horrible level.  I was really worried how the last level was going to turn out...

And fortunately, it turned out fine.  It was a nice homage to the original Halo.  343 Guilty Spark was a bit of a pushover, unfortunately, but it's not like Halo's known for its boss fights biggrin

Agreed. Level 8 sucked monkey balls. I guess the point was to run through the level as fast as you can, as fighting was totally worthless, but...

It sucked. Period.

9 didn't start too well either. Thankfully, once you get up the GIGANTIC TOWER WITH NO CONTINUE POINTS it just sorta ended there.

And yes, just like in Halo 2 (which my AI friends killed for me, believe it or not - I did NOT fire the final blow), the end boss sucked. Shot Guilty Spark up a few times, and then poof! it was over (but I also used the charging sniper laser of doom on him).

The racing sequence out though was a lot of fun. Definitely a homage to Halo 1.

Overall, a good game, but definitely NOT the game of the year that many sites are calling it (solely based on their reviews). But of course, I'm biased - I won't be playing multiplayer much at all (just SP and co-op).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 04:53:04 AM »

It was good but not game of the year.  When I finished Metroid 3 it stuck with me,  but with Halo it just like any other game.   Still great but not the best.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 06:40:05 AM »

Man, I really want to replay campaign co-op...but just the THOUGHT of going through act 8 again...Ugh.  Worst level in any FPS I've ever played, seriously.

TheMissingLink on PSN
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 06:56:48 AM »

For those of us who hit a button when the bungie note poped up here is what you do.  Go to the campaign menu and select the mission halo.  From there you should be able to spawn at Rally point alpha which is after the control room and all that BS.  You can play on easy and all you have to do is fight to the warthog drive on the road that falls apart and watch all of the cut scene without pressing any buttons!  Simply going into you recent videos will not work.

But yes level 8 sucks ass!  Best advice is to use the energy sword on the big guys.  Seemed to work well when we were playing co-op.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 07:44:38 AM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one to hate level 8. Seems like they were just too many of those wierd things that were a dog/shooter/hulk creature that could go between forms, hated those always seemed to be too many grouped together and guns just didn't kill them fast enough.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 08:16:58 AM »

The shooter flood were just plain annoying, especially since they had no balance mechanic, they could keep shooting constantly with no stop to try and advance on them.  Then, they were also tougher than any other flood form.  Really annoying.  I hated level 8, despite finding flood more interesting to fight in this game compared to the first two.

So, all of you did see the bit after the credits, right?

But before I get to that, what the hell was it with all those plot holes at the end?  How did firing one ring at the Ark destroy all of the flood?  They never explained that.  Was that, "the answer" to the flood?  Just firing the rings again?  It just does not compute.  I mean, not even killing the gravemind will work since another gravemind just pops up wherever enough flood congregate.  The Human covenant war is likely over without the hierarchs to lead them.  But wait, aren't there more Hierarchs?  Bungie's crappy storytelling rears its ugly head again.  So much for all questions being answered.

So, Master Chief and Cortana are stuck out in deep space, broadcasting a beacon, with MC on ice and Cortana all lonely.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 06:40:42 PM »

got a very Alien vibe from the ending.  i fully expect to see a spinoff series pick up in the far future with a new race finding the hulk and wiping a very thick layer of ice from the glass to reveal MC's face.

not sure what the extra ending stuff from the legendary completion is or could be, but i'm hoping to find out soon. 

overall, i liked the game quite a bit than i thought i would.  i really enjoyed that late game sequence with the aircraft, especially the battle against the scarabs. a lot of aircraft flying around taking pot shots at one another and these mammoth tanks menacing anything that got close.  i brought one down near one of those snowy outcroppings and was able to jump right on to it's head.  raced up, ripped one of the plasma cannons off it's mounts and proceeded to blow the S out of it's core.  great fun, and got a nice view of it while i was taking off in the aircraft. 

i loved the flamethrower.  really made level 8 much more manageable.  got a great Aliens vibe using it. 

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 07:29:03 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 27, 2007, 06:40:42 PM

overall, i liked the game quite a bit than i thought i would.  i really enjoyed that late game sequence with the aircraft, especially the battle against the scarabs. a lot of aircraft flying around taking pot shots at one another and these mammoth tanks menacing anything that got close.

Personally, I took one of the aircraft and outright landed it on top of the scarab, dashed inside, blew up the generator, and then ran back out, boarded my craft, and flew off.

Worked great for the first scarab. Some jackass decided to blow it up the second time though before I could get back. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 07:56:10 PM »

yeah, that happened to me for the second one as well, except the dumbass hadn't managed to die and was just tooling around in it, just out of reach.  i think he was pissed that i hopped out above ground for the first one and the aircraft landed on it side, dumping him out.  i finally got him to give me a lift over to the arbiter though, so at least that worked out.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 08:09:06 PM »

By the way, you can kill a scarab without ever going inside it.  First you knock out a leg causing it to stop.  Then go to the back and look for a flashing red disc on the back.  Shoot that out and when it explodes it'll take a large chunk of the back with it, revealing the power core for you to shoot.  That's how I took out the scarab from within my aircraft in that sequence.

I didn't want to play through again for the legendary ending so I looked it up on youtube.
Spoiler for for the legendary ending:
It just adds on another small sequence after the after credits movie.  It shows the remains of the frigate with MC and Cortana on it, no time specified, but it's slowly drifting towards what's revealed as a populated planet in the background.  That or the planet could be coming towards it.

Could this be Marathon, the martian moon turned colony ship?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 08:44:13 PM »

oh,.....see i thought we were in some kind of timeloop...with him going to sleep at the end in the chamber(all this is after the credits)...because he awakes from the chamber at the beginning of halo 1...full circle..halo

i still wanted to see what the ugly fucker was like under the helmet

and yes,level 8 sucked all kind of balls!!...it wasnt as though it was a long level,but they just stuck you in there,with overwhelming enemies and hard to find ammo....i must of been going back and forth over the same 10 steps about 20 times...must of took me about 2 hrs to get it done!!!!

EDIT:oh one more thing,i found that the warthog was a lot more driveable in this one than in Halo 1.....and i guess it helped that i didnt have a timer this time

EDIT:EDIT:from looking at the levels from theatre,i have added it all up and it took me 7 hrs 24 minutes in all to finish the game(thats because of level 8 with its baby stpes and level 7 having to backtrack to look for ammo all the time)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 10:16:21 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 07:00:22 AM »

just finished the game on heroic...was a little worried about how they ended things until i reached the end of the credits and saw the extra scene.  overall, i enjoyed the campaign quite a bit and would say it's my favorite of the three.  i really didn't mind fighting my way through the flood ship once i figured out that melee attacks work much better than any of yours guns.  those big mutating flood are pushovers if you use the energy sword, and just about any others can be taken out with a single melee attack.  i rarely fired a shot unless i was caught in a swarm of infection forms, and i used grenades (plasma or brute) to take out most of the shooter flood that were stuck to the walls.  i also used melee almost exclusively while fighting my way up the tower near the end...definitely the way to go for killing flood icon_cool

Quote from: TheMissingLink on September 26, 2007, 09:37:44 AM

Act 7 was a highlight, when Master Chief works with the flood.  By the way, what happened there?  All of a sudden, Truth gets killed, and I'm killing Flood to escape.  I was a bit confused.  Still am, actually.

the flood helped you out strictly so that you could prevent Truth from activating the entire halo system and wiping out all life in the galaxy.  as soon as you prevented that from happening, the flood went back to their usual ways of trying to take over everything.  your plan after that was too activate only the halo near the ark, which was still under construction and not fully functional, leading to the destruction of the ark site.  this wiped out gravemind and the rest of the flood without destroying all other sentient life in the galaxy.  at least that's my understanding...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 04:26:21 PM »

Yeah, but as I keep mentioning, with the story they've established there's simply no way to wipe out all the flood by just blowing one ring.  The gravemind just reforms somewhere else where the flood have infected.

They never really established how firing one ring at the ark would stop the entire flood threat.

For example, while the gravemind was on his way to the ark  site, he had to fly close to Earth's surface.  Why didn't he just drop a few flood pods on populated areas as he passed?  Those flood would be well out of range of the ark blast.  Also, the gravemind had control of the High Charity for a while, no reason he couldn't have gone and infected a few new places, or store pods on various planets.  Then there's also the flood samples on every single Halo.

Also, the death of Miranda Keyes and The Sarge were completely pointless.

It's very poor writing overall.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 07:28:08 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 27, 2007, 08:16:58 AM

So, Master Chief and Cortana are stuck out in deep space, broadcasting a beacon, with MC on ice and Cortana all lonely.

Yea I never saw anything similar to that before...ohh wait we did at the end of HALO 1!

Finish the Fight my ass...they ended like every other game does now, with the door stuck open on purpose for the next game.

Now if they had The Chief and Cortana go out in a blaze of glory to save everyone I could give Bungie and MS some credit for actually having some balls.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2007, 10:40:11 PM »

finished the game out of a feeling of obligation to see how it ends more than anything else.  final rating:  'meh'.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 06:20:54 AM »

Halo 4: Start a New Fight!

Shamelessly stolen from a funny vid about halo.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 07:22:09 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on October 01, 2007, 06:20:54 AM

Halo 4: Start a New Fight!

Shamelessly stolen from a funny vid about halo.

or:

Halo 4: Fighting.  Do It.

Because I can,
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 09:12:28 PM »

I'm not sure they were trying to give the impression that they were eliminating the Flood for all time forever with the firing of the ring.  I seem to remember that when the MC and Arbiter are leaving, Gravemind says something about how it's just another "passing of time" for him, or something like that.  I think it was another attempt to leave the door open. 

Overall I found the story pretty confusing and not self-contained enough.  You pretty much have to have played the other games to understand what's going on to even a basic level.  Lots of times I had no real idea where I was or what I was doing.

But gameplay-wise, I thought it was excellent overall.  It's a purebred action shooter and I think it's pretty close to perfect in that regard (level 8 excepted - pure hell).  The gameplay is intense and fun, and I thought it ranged from "pretty good" looking to "jaw-dropping."  A lot of the lighting and composition in cutscenes are just fantastic.  And I'll be playing multiplayer for a long time.  Hammer Zombies is just too much fun smile
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 09:56:53 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 30, 2007, 04:26:21 PM

Yeah, but as I keep mentioning, with the story they've established there's simply no way to wipe out all the flood by just blowing one ring.  The gravemind just reforms somewhere else where the flood have infected

If you really listen to guilty spark's dialogue it's only supposed to wipe out "the local infestation". So they killed all the flood on earth.

Does it say at some point that they've killed the flood for good? It's possible they did and I missed it because the dialogue was hard to hear at times.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 03:20:25 AM »

No, the local infestation is all the flood on the Ark, and the Ark is through the portal which leads to a place outside the galaxy.  If the ring could have reached Earth every human on Earth would also be dead.  So that's why I think Earth not being infected is a gaping plothole when you clearly see how easily the gravemind can infect an area just by passing through it.

I think the gameplay is good, but they tried to present the game as a masterwork story that'd close off this chapter of the Halo universe, and to me it failed on many levels.  I think they should have just killed off the flood entirely, not because I dislike the flood.  But mainly because, in reality, nothing has really been resolved.  The flood is still out there.  Although if I were the remaining human and covenant commanders, I'd quickly send ships all over the galaxy and atomize any rings they find since all rings have flood samples on them.

In trying to leave too much open, they hurt their story closer.  Frankly, it would have been enough to eliminate the flood then have MC and Cortana float off stranded.

Thankfully, good gameplay can overcome poor storytelling.

And about the sound, did anyone else have trouble hearing the voices in this game, or do I just need to get my hearing checked?  Halo 3 was really lacking in audio settings, usually you can turn up seperate tracks like Voices, Sound Effects, and background music.  I usually turn the effects and music down a few notches and voices set to max so that I don't have to rely on subtitles.  All the music and sound effects I heard fine.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2007, 05:55:24 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 02, 2007, 03:20:25 AM

No, the local infestation is all the flood on the Ark, and the Ark is through the portal which leads to a place outside the galaxy.  If the ring could have reached Earth every human on Earth would also be dead.  So that's why I think Earth not being infected is a gaping plothole when you clearly see how easily the gravemind can infect an area just by passing through it.

it's not a gaping plot hole...earth was infected by the single flood ship that crashed there, but the infection had not spread far from that point yet.  in the cutscene where the elites and humans discuss their plans, the elites decide to travel through the portal to stop the prophet (along with MC and the arbiter), and the human army stays on earth to clean up the remaining flood infestation.  fortunately, the gravemind was at the ark and not on earth, allowing for him to be destroyed when the halo was activated.  while it's not explicity shown, it's implied that the forces on earth were able to clean up the remaining flood presence prior to the arbiter's return.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2007, 06:09:55 AM »

one thing I didn't get, probably cause I didn't really pay attention to the story that well when playing the campaign...

at the very end of the game, where the Master Chief and the Arbiter drive the warthog onto the big ship to escape the last Halo firing, how come Master Chief ended up getting stuck out in the middle of space while the Arbiter made it back to Earth (for the memorial dedication ceremonies, etc)

I must be missing something totally obvious, lol
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2007, 06:15:03 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 02, 2007, 06:09:55 AM

one thing I didn't get, probably cause I didn't really pay attention to the story that well when playing the campaign...

at the very end of the game, where the Master Chief and the Arbiter drive the warthog onto the big ship to escape the last Halo firing, how come Master Chief ended up getting stuck out in the middle of space while the Arbiter made it back to Earth (for the memorial dedication ceremonies, etc)

MC's half of the ship didn't make it through the gateway before it closed and gets cut off.

Because I can,
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2007, 07:04:45 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 02, 2007, 06:15:03 AM

MC's half of the ship didn't make it through the gateway before it closed and gets cut off.

hm really?  is that clearly shown in the cinematic?

I didn't notice anything like that, I'll have to watch it again
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2007, 08:00:39 AM »

Just finished Halo 3, easily my GOTY thus far... and I've just barely scratched the surface of MP. I'm surprised at how many aspects of the game that people were complaining about that I ended up liking, I really need to stop reading impressions and reviews, so much uncalledfor bashing. Anyhow, I pretty much loved everything about the game from head to toe. Graphics were beautiful and the frame rate was silky smooth, there was a single moment that I witnessed slowdown but other than that there was none, so it might have just been a bug. For me, as far as best graphics on the system, it's a tossup between GoW and Halo 3. Loved everything about the sound, effects and music were spectacular, voice-acting was fine. The gameplay in Halo 3 varied, I think one of my favorite parts of the game were all the different vehicles. Seriously, they could make a Halo game solely consisting of driving/flying levels and I would buy it, they made for some especially fun coop moments. The level design was really good, not just for having a lot of awesome locales but also just in the way everything was set up. There were always multiple ways of approaching an enemy, and I never felt claustrophobic like in Bioshock. The story was pretty good overall and I enjoyed the pace, however I do agree that certain story elements could have been conveyed to us better.

So, as far as the campaign goes I would give it a 9/10. I liked all the missions, even mission 8 which I'm surprised people hated. It was definitely a bit confusing in some areas, but I have fun fighting the Flood, it gets so hectic! I only played the first few levels in coop and it was a blast so I can't wait to play through the rest of the game again at a higher difficultly. Now to get cracking on the multiplayer...

« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 08:02:10 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2007, 02:49:21 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 02, 2007, 07:04:45 AM

I'm pretty sure part of that shows MC looking out of the severed portion of the ship, plus Cortana's line 'everyone made it, or at least most of everyone' (or something like that) points it out too.  Granted, they could have made it a bit more clear, and I don't know why they waited until after the credits to show MC's fate.  It's almost like they tacked that part on at the last minute to avoid millions of Halo fans showing up at their doorstep to rain fury upon Bungie.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2007, 05:02:18 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 02, 2007, 02:49:21 PM

It's almost like they tacked that part on at the last minute to avoid millions of Halo fans showing up at their doorstep to rain fury upon Bungie.

No, they put that last part where they did (after the credits, and if you skipped the credits you missed the 'ending') so people can complain that the game doesn't end, and then those people would get ripped a new one once others found out they didn't see the actual ending. biggrin

That, and Halo 3 ends exactly how the first starts - Master Chief coming out of/going into cold sleep. Hence the name of the final level.

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2007, 04:13:12 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 02, 2007, 07:04:45 AM

there are a couple of shots that make it clear.  first, just before the explosion, they show the Arbiter taking a seat in the front cockpit of the ship while MC is taking cover in the rear.  next, you are shown the front half of the ship crashing into the ocean on earth during Hood's memorial speech, with only the Arbiter stepping out of the wreckage.  after the credits, when you see MC in space, he's shown on a ship that has been cut cleanly in half and Cortana comments that 'most of us made it' through the portal just before it collapsed...the tail end of the ship, with MC and Cortana, didn't slip through the portal quickly enough and were left behind.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2007, 05:18:32 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 02, 2007, 03:20:25 AM

After the end of Level 5 when MC gets picked up by the Elites, the rest of the Elite fleet glasses half of Africa to eliminate any possible Flood infestation.  Lord Hood mentioned it in the cinematic that followed that level.  There was only a single Flood ship sent to Earth so that should have been sufficient.  There are certainly other Flood out in the universe but it's established that they are effectively trapped as long as they lack a means to travel.  So, for now, the universe is safe.  It's possible there are other Flood out there with ships from the takeover of the Coventant but since the game doesn't show them I wouldn't call it a plot hole. 

Just finished the game on Heroic. I've also already replayed all of Levels 1-6 (which I did before finishing) and I expect it's a campaign I will continue to return to (though I will likely be skipping Lvl 8 in the future).  Fantastic game overall and it completely redeems a disappointing Halo 2.  I agree that Level 8 was the weakest but I liked every other level with Levels 3, 4, 6, and 7 being absolute masterpieces.  Level 5 was fine too- that's exactly how a Flood level should be handled. Level 8, with flamethrowers in hand, actually wasn't that bad with two exceptionally frustrating passages for me that were really pissing me off.   

Very sad to see Miranda die.  Story overall was fine but it was a classic mop-up third act where they spent the entire time finishing the plot threads from Halo 2 with no new story added. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2007, 04:37:17 PM »

I didn't get the cut off bit at the end, either.  The pieces do add up (thanks for pointing them out here), but it would have been nice to actually see it happening so we wouldn't have to put it together.  Similarly, I think we should have seen an establishing shot of the replacement Halo being built.  It wasn't immediately clear what that big wall was.  I will say it seemed clear to me from the writing that there was a coda coming after the credits.  When you have an uberconfident character like Master Chief say "We'll make it" then they're going to make it. 

I've never liked the Flood.  They always seem like an ammo suck to me.  I was actually not minding them in this game until Level 8.  I can't tell you how much ammo I wasted before I decided to just run for it.  The Flood seemed to continuously regenerate.  There was no end.  Also, those spikey bastards on the walls were a royal pain in the ass.  If you didn't have the right kind of weapon, forget it.  Blowing up the ship was a lot of hopping around.  Then when I got to the new Halo and had to climb the tower, I was still in run-it mode, not realizing that I had to switch gears back to slow and methodical.  The Flood went back to being as annoying as ever.

However, taking that out of it, there were some incredible sequences in the campaign.  Overall, I found it excellent.  I think Bioshock is a better single player experience, but this was pretty damn good.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2007, 06:30:53 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 03, 2007, 04:37:17 PM

I

I've never liked the Flood.  They always seem like an ammo suck to me.  I was actually not minding them in this game until Level 8.  I can't tell you how much ammo I wasted before I decided to just run for it.  The Flood seemed to continuously regenerate.  There was no end.  Also, those spikey bastards on the walls were a royal pain in the ass.  If you didn't have the right kind of weapon, forget it.  Blowing up the ship was a lot of hopping around.  Then when I got to the new Halo and had to climb the tower, I was still in run-it mode, not realizing that I had to switch gears back to slow and methodical.  The Flood went back to being as annoying as ever.

Gotta agree with you there. I found myself just wanting to get through level 8. Luckily, I thought the last bits made up for it. I enjoyed every part of the game except level 8. Running through a level just wasnt that much fun for me.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2007, 01:51:23 PM »

I liked level 8.

WAIT ! I'm serious. It wasn't my favorite level, but I thought it was necessary to get Cortana back, and since you're in Flood-town, the idea of killing all the flood in their own ship is stupid. Running is part of the strategy, watching where you fire (As you do NOT want to keep hitting those lovely wall-pods). There was active camo and a whole lot of OMG OMG OMG moments in there, but it wasn't the worst level ever. I hated the library WAY more, and there are other console games who's best levels were worse than Level 8.

Using the brute shots was critical for the flying covenant / flood transformations (the ones that scurry, shoot, and can act as wall turrets); but pistolwhipping them works wonders too. As to getting lost, the slant of the ground is your indicator. Either you're descending or ascending.

To speak to Turtles point about nothing being accomplished:

Halo1 plunged the human race facing extinction from the Covenant and war was breaking out on all fronts.
It also saw the accidental release of a plague that would wipe out the universe, given half-a-chance.

Halo2 had the Elites broken off from the Covenant, and 2 of the 3 religious leaders killed.  The zealotry of the Covenant, were the humans not fighting against them, would have destroyed the entire galaxy in following their leaders to be faithful.

Halo3 saw the Elites fight to help take down the Covenant. They stopped the plague and concievably destroy the Flood (at least. for now). From the flood perpective there was no net gain. From a human history perspective, there was.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 01:58:13 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2007, 04:52:37 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 03, 2007, 05:18:32 AM

After the end of Level 5 when MC gets picked up by the Elites, the rest of the Elite fleet glasses half of Africa to eliminate any possible Flood infestation.  Lord Hood mentioned it in the cinematic that followed that level.  There was only a single Flood ship sent to Earth so that should have been sufficient.  There are certainly other Flood out in the universe but it's established that they are effectively trapped as long as they lack a means to travel.  So, for now, the universe is safe.  It's possible there are other Flood out there with ships from the takeover of the Coventant but since the game doesn't show them I wouldn't call it a plot hole. 

You forget that the Gravemind, controlling the High Charity, had to pass within Earth's atmosphere, and very close to the ground to go through that portal to get to the Ark.  So as he's flying over Earth he looks down and sees cities, eh, why not drop a few flood pods?  The elites are already through the portal fighting the brutes, there's no one left to glass continents to stop an infection.  MC blows the ring, and the Arbiter comes back to a flood controlled Earth.  We've seen how numerous flood pods are, and as the elite commander said, all it takes is one spore to start an infestation.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2007, 05:04:47 PM »

It's possible but considering that paramount importance to  him at that moment was stopping the Covenant from initiating the Halos from the Ark (which he was just barely in time to do), I don't think it's implausible that he didn't take the time to try and spread some Flood spoor.  And, even if he did, Lord Hood's forces were most certainly working on tracking anything that came out of High Charity and could eradicate them. 

As to being close to ground near the Ark transport site- that area had already been glassed anyway so I'm sure they did it again for good measure.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2007, 05:09:01 PM »

The floodship appeared and went through the portal over Africa. They wiped out half the continent. I think Mr. Gravemind figured that would have been enough, and it's not like, with mastered space travel and the entire elite forces, that they couldn't have determined where drop-ships landed. The flood isn't a subtle invasion.

[edit damnit KG ... you're too fast for me. biggrin]

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2007, 07:37:56 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 04, 2007, 04:52:37 PM

We've seen how numerous flood pods are, and as the elite commander said, all it takes is one spore to start an infestation.

<gag>  I smell sequel......  Halo 4: All Flood All the Time!

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2007, 01:18:25 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 04, 2007, 07:37:56 PM

Quote from: Turtle on October 04, 2007, 04:52:37 PM

We've seen how numerous flood pods are, and as the elite commander said, all it takes is one spore to start an infestation.
<gag>  I smell sequel......  Halo 4: All Flood All the Time!

That'll be one Halo game I'll most definitely pass on.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: