http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 12:59:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Combat Elite: WWII Paratroopers  (Read 2567 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 22, 2004, 06:22:20 PM »

Anyone else following this game?  It looks like Silent Storm in realtime.  No idea how deep the gameplay is, but even a good looking third person shooter would be lots of fun.  The fact that it is multiplayer capable isn't half bad either.

Gold Guide Entry

I'm just disapointed that the release has slipped twice now.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 06:06:44 PM »

im definately interested in this. ill be following it. it looks liek it will eb real good. cant wait for me updates

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 03:44:15 PM »

Great...now there's no telling when this will be released. *sigh*

http://www.consolegold.com/PressReleases/index.php?PRID=1081

Acclaim doesn't seem to be in calm waters lately.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 03:57:42 PM »

I read a magazine review that said something kinda funny about the game: "Why is there no parachuting in a game with Paratroopers in the title?"

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 04:01:04 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I read a magazine review that said something kinda funny about the game: "Why is there no parachuting in a game with Paratroopers in the title?"

Kind of like Phalanx on the SNES.  There is no banjo playing old man (who is on the cover) in that game slywink

Woo!  Found the Phalanx Cover Art for those of you that have no idea what I'm talking about.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 04:20:21 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Kind of like Phalanx on the SNES.  There is no banjo playing old man (who is on the cover) in that game slywink

I don't have any idea what that game is about, but I'd certainly feel like a tool asking the clerk to get that out of the glass case.  It looks like a Deliverance movie tie-in game.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 04:28:23 PM »

It's actually a really good sci-fi shooter.  You can see the ship you fly on that cover (it's small), it's just that the old man with the banjo takes up the majority of the cover.  Of course almost no one bought or played this game because the cover made it look stupid.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 04:52:15 PM »

"We're surrounded, sir."

"We're supposed to be surrounded.  We're paratroopers."

You know...considering at what point the parachute was used.....aww..nevermind. This is game, screw realism.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 05:07:20 PM »

If this is the game I think it is (using the Baldurs Gate console engine), it just got a terrible review in either OXM or XBN (you'd think I would do a little research before posting this...oh well, here I go again).  I think it got a 4.5 or 5.1 or something.  The main complaint is that the engine was designed more for hack 'n slash and magic than guns.  It makes sense, I remember using the bow was always a pain in the ass in Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance.  Big bummer because I was looking forward to this one.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 07:35:01 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
If this is the game I think it is (using the Baldurs Gate console engine), it just got a terrible review in either OXM or XBN (you'd think I would do a little research before posting this...oh well, here I go again).  I think it got a 4.5 or 5.1 or something.  The main complaint is that the engine was designed more for hack 'n slash and magic than guns.  It makes sense, I remember using the bow was always a pain in the ass in Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance.  Big bummer because I was looking forward to this one.

Is there an online posting of this review?

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 07:47:09 PM »

Nope, its in this months OXM.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 09:10:00 PM »

Reading it right now...4.1.  Basically saying that an action-RPG framework isn't the best for all games.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004, 12:44:32 AM »

EB Corporate sent around a notice to stores saying that Combat Elite had been cancelled.

According to IGN, there's some legal stuff going on.  Looks like this isn't making it to shelves soon.  I'm sure everyone is most upset.  smile

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2004, 10:20:48 PM »

How do you save money by cancelling a completed game?  Is it really so bad that they couldn't make back a limited run's duplication costs?

I had some hopes for the game.  It's too bad really.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2004, 12:12:00 AM »

Quote from: "Hrothgar"
How do you save money by cancelling a completed game?  Is it really so bad that they couldn't make back a limited run's duplication costs?

As stated from the PR piece we posted a few days back:

BattleBorne(TM) Entertainment, Inc. today announced that a preliminary injunction has been entered in its favor against Acclaim Entertainment, Inc. (OTCBB: AKLM) by order of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, County of Nassau. The preliminary injunction restrains Acclaim from shipping BattleBorne's Combat Elite(TM): WWII Paratroopers for the Sony(R) (NYSE:SNE) PlayStation2 and Microsoft(R) (NasdaqNM: MSFT) Xbox platforms. BattleBorne Entertainment has sued Acclaim for breaching the parties' development agreement by failing to make payments when due and by threatening to release Combat Elite prior to making all required payments.

Ah, lawsuits due to lack of payment...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2004, 03:02:53 PM »

this is turning into a soap opera, not what u wanted. i was expecting this game to be good. that is disappointing, i wish they would just pay up and release it. it looked good, there is no way a game like that one could not at least AT LEAST break even.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: