http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 02:10:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: College Hoops 2k8 (all systems)  (Read 2515 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2007, 12:13:04 AM »

Well....

After being scared to even look at my favorite game franchise after what they did to NBA 2k8 this year, I decided on a whim to give the demo a download on the ps3.

I am incredibly happy to say that it seems to play really good as well as looking fantasticly awesome.

You can't really do a whole lot with a 5 minute half of play, but what I saw and played seemed extremely well put together.

Special shout out to Old Negus:  You may want to come out of the woodwork long enough to poke around here my friend... it's possible we have another winner on our hands.  Game releases very soon, so we should know more before long.  I have no clue if it will look as good on the 360 as it does on the ps3, but if so, I think you will be mighty impressed.

Anyone else give the demo a go yet?     

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 12:52:31 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on November 18, 2007, 12:13:04 AM

Well....

After being scared to even look at my favorite game franchise after what they did to NBA 2k8 this year, I decided on a whim to give the demo a download on the ps3.

I am incredibly happy to say that it seems to play really good as well as looking fantasticly awesome.

You can't really do a whole lot with a 5 minute half of play, but what I saw and played seemed extremely well put together.

Special shout out to Old Negus:  You may want to come out of the woodwork long enough to poke around here my friend... it's possible we have another winner on our hands.  Game releases very soon, so we should know more before long.  I have no clue if it will look as good on the 360 as it does on the ps3, but if so, I think you will be mighty impressed.

Anyone else give the demo a go yet?     
Yeah, I made a post about it about a week ago in some random thread. Basically take all the good in NBA2k8, fix almost all the bugs, add the college game, clean up the awful open shot misses-and you get CH2k8, which even in 5 minutes of demo play appears to be the superior game this year (And one I will be picking up). This shows me two things: 1. 2k sports knows what needs to be done and did it properly, and 2. they need to suck it the fuck up and patch 2k8. Its often an extremely fun, satisfying, and even good game of basketball-but its also very broken in some ways and needs to be fixed, period. Oh-and roster updates 2k? TWO WEEKS into the season and the rosters are not even close to being correct? Get off your asses and support those of us that continue to support you.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 12:54:28 AM »

I played it the graphics look kind of cartoony and stealing was way to easy hope it was on easy setting.  Would really like to check out the 360 demo when it drops to decide.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 03:02:35 AM »

Wasn't it EA's version that was totally crap last year?  Or are you guys talking about 2K's version of this years game?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 03:06:31 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 18, 2007, 03:02:35 AM

Wasn't it EA's version that was totally crap last year?  Or are you guys talking about 2K's version of this years game?

EA's version was awful, this is 2k's version-hence the several references I made to 2k fixing things, you know, in my post.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 02:01:50 PM »

Yeah Cal... you had me scared to even try the demo after the way I heard they pooped on NBA2k8.

My 360 has been acting up a bit... did they release a demo for that as well, or just the ps3?

Oh, and if anyone is interested in this, you should watch two particular ign vids that have got me salivating. 

The Sapida & Timmerman Interviews

Rumors are this is coming out Monday?  That's an odd release day for videogames, isn't it??

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 10:41:20 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on November 18, 2007, 02:01:50 PM

Yeah Cal... you had me scared to even try the demo after the way I heard they pooped on NBA2k8.

My 360 has been acting up a bit... did they release a demo for that as well, or just the ps3?

Oh, and if anyone is interested in this, you should watch two particular ign vids that have got me salivating. 

The Sapida & Timmerman Interviews

Rumors are this is coming out Monday?  That's an odd release day for videogames, isn't it??

Yeah its a wierd release, but I think it shipped Friday for some reason, so should be out most places Monday. Still not sure if I am going to buy it or wait for a sale-I really like the demo, but 2k hasn't even bothered to update my rosters for NBA yet and honestly I might not buy it just to show my displeasure, as silly a gesture as that is. I am sure at some point I will.

By the way, if you were tempted to try EAs CH March Madness 2008  that came out on Live yesterday, just don't. Its so bad.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 01:44:51 AM »

Cool thanks.

I'm sure I'll be one of the few to get this early while the rest of you are knee-deep in Mass Effect.

Man, I love gaming!

LD

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 07:55:01 AM »

I saw you playing tonight-impressions please! The demo finally came to Live and I still love it. If anything, I think it actually might look a tiny bit better on PS3 (and I mean, so tiny-its mainly a little less jaggies on the PS3, which could be resolution rather than anything else), but its smoother and controls better on 360 (As expected)-so whatcha think LD? I am pretty sure I am going to buy this either way. Did they finally add an option to allow you to start your dynasty/legacy thing from a current school and current season so you don't have to miss out playing with the team you support and the players you know if you want to go that route (and frankly its the most fun way to do it). I really hated that last year that I had to play a separate season mode just to get my team last year (I eventually got to coach them 8 years into my dynasty-DOH!).
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 08:14:44 AM »

Hey Lockdown, thanks for the heads up! I too was scared this year after hearing about the dropped ball that was NBA 2K8. But it sounds like they've taken the best sports game ever (CH2K7) and... improved it???

I'll be downloading the demo soon. Maybe I finally have an idea on what I'll be spending my $25 Super Mario Galaxy gift card on!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 02:01:52 PM »

Damn.

Too many games right now.   icon_eek

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 02:10:30 PM »

So it was rather comical.  I had about 26 friends on last night while I was playing this.  The breakdown went something like this:
Rock Band - 13 players
Mass Effect - 9 players
CoD4 - 4 players
CH2k8 - me   icon_frown

I put in a good 4 hours last night and messed around with the tutorials, the sliders, the ABL thingy, and then played a couple games just to get a taste of how long it was going to take to adjust to the new stuff.  As is usual with a new version of College Hoops, I got crushed in my first game (I play on All Conference difficulty) by about 40 points.  I'm so used to it by now, it doesn't even phase me.  It takes me a good 5 games to "get" all the new controls and the subtle differences of the gameplay from the year before.

I'll keep my initial impressions "short" for now, mostly because the amount of stuff to talk about in CH2k8 is literally exhausting.  

The short version is:  The game plays fantastic, and seems to be a real winner so far.  I encountered no glaring hiccups or anything that made me raise an eyebrow (yet).  I would say the game does look a little bit better on the ps3, so I think your eyes were correct Calvin.  The standout features so far are the drills you can put your players through, the tutorials explaining everything you can do in the game, the ability to scout and actually play with high school players, and the atmosphere of being at a game.

-  -  -  -  -

The longer version if you want to read it:

I think I'll do bullet points, cause there is just too much to list any other way right now.  It would get too confusing for me.

+ The atmosphere of a game.  As fantastic as this was last year, they have taken it to yet another level.  I am just blown away.  The crowds and their chants are so exhilarating, it is heart-pumping.  From the "You Can't Do That!" chants when the opponent commits a foul while your star is in the act of shooting, to the new "D - Fense!" chants, it's just nuts.  In way of further improvement, the crowds also seem more intelligent on when to chant and when to shut up.  This seems to be based on the "6th man" meter, and it seems to work.  Once you max out the meter, your guys icons (under their feet) flash green for a moment, letting you know everyone is getting a slight boost to performance thanks to the crowd.  And boy oh boy, does the crowd let you know they are behind you!  My advise... play this game as loud as you can without pissing off your neighbors or family, cause it's worth it.

+ The tutorials.  For all those people out there that love this game but don't quite "get it" - these are for you.  They explain how to do all the isomotion moves, passing, dribbling, defense, post ups, etc...  And the way it's presented is simple, easy, and effective.  Pick the area you want to be tutored on (like passing), choose the type of pass (like alley-oop), then watch the demonstration.  When you're ready, click a button and the button combinations are shown on screen and you have a chance to do it until you want to stop.  No more, "Hey LD - I like the game, but how do you....?"  -  It's now there for you to do yourself in the tutorials.

+ Playcalling.  This is great for all you non-experts out there.  Simply turn on an option in the menu screens, and you can see exactly what you are supposed to do on the court as you play.  "What the hell is an inside-out post up?"  Simple.  Enable the option in the menu to show you, call the play while your playing, and a diagram shows up on the floor as you control your guys.  Once you learn the symbols (and they are easy to learn), you just follow the sketches on the court.  It's brilliant, and something I wish they would do in hockey games for people like me that love the sport, but don't understand the nuances of the plays.  Speaking of playcalling, the new playcalling screen mapped to the right d-pad button is great.  It's got lots of options, much more than the 4 you had with the old style of control.  Nice improvement.

+ Recruitment.  You know, this is a subject worthy of an entire post itself.  It simply gets deeper and more fun every year.  They have added ways for you to scout and even play as high school kids you are interested in.  It's just too deep to even go into right now, and I'll bet I haven't even scratched the surface of it.  I'll talk about this in a later post.

+ Playing the Game.  Oh boy, let's see.  Well, there is the new foot-plant mechanic that 2k7 did not have.  That is the #1 thing that is throwing me off right now.  You just can not move your guys on a dime anymore, wherever you want to go.  It functions a tiny bit like the foot-plant mechanic introduced in NFL2k5, in which it takes into account your momentum, and the fact that you need to plant a foot to switch directions.  CH2k7 had a mechanic that made fine movements with certain players difficult, but in a more "he is a slow lumbering turd" kind of way.  2k8 uses a different type of thing that takes some getting used to.  NBA2k8 has this as well, but from what I understand, it's more subtle and less jarring in College Hoops.  But for me, it still is taking a bit of time to get used to.  So much to talk about here.  The A.I. is smarter.  They react to double-teams better.  They are smarter at finding the open guy and swinging the ball around to him quickly for a shot.  They are much better at hitting cutters as they find a seam in the zone and leading them with a great pass for an easy bucket.  The d-pad coaching menu is just awesome.  You can on-the-fly coach so much easier than before through the d-pad controls.  I'm sorry, there is just too much to talk about here.  I'll post more later.

+ Halftime adjustments.  Another great feature for those that don't know the college game quite as well.  At halftime of games, the computer will analyze what happened in the first half and offer suggestions to you on a blackboard type screen.  You can make the adjustments right there and then, and it will tell you if you did the correct thing.  Some of the things they suggest, especially regarding how to deal with certain opposing players, is really quite well done.  The only issue I have with this feature at this time is that you can be up by 15 at half, and they still might have a list of 8 things for you to change.  C'mon now.  I'm kicking ass, I can't need to adjust THAT much!  

+ Drills and Training.  This is one area where I always thought the NBA series smoked the College Hoops series.  Well, they addressed it this year with an easy-to-use training program that you can give to individual players on your team during the practice week in order to have him work on specific areas of his game for improvement.  It is leaps and bounds better than anything they had in CH2k7.  Focus on conditioning, strength, agility, etc, etc...  For each player on your team if you want to take the time to do it.  This, in combination with how much practice time your coaches devote to the week (remember recruiting time eats into practice time), will determine what type of improvements your players make in what areas, before their next game.  Add to this the really fun mini-games called DRILLS.  It seems like you are allowed to do two of these per session only.  They are specific mini-game drills you as the user can do with a specific player on your team to focus on a particular area (rebounding, passing, defense in the post, etc...).  You are given a goal of what needs to be accomplished in a set amount of time.  If you pass, your player will make gains in specific areas.  For people who are really into the game, and want to maximize their players ability gains, this is a really fun feature.

Alright, I'm getting tired of typing, and there is just too much to talk about.  I'll post more as I get time over the next few days.

In summary:  So far, so good.  Lots of stuff still not dug into yet though, so knock on wood.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 02:15:19 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 02:24:10 PM »

Great job on the impressions.

I still haven't gotten around to buying NBA 2K8 yet. But it looks like I'll skip it and just go with CHoops this year.

When you say the PS3 version looks better are you referring to the graphic quality?  I heard that the 360 version is 60fps and the PS3 is 30.  Although the PS3 demo felt like 60 to me.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 02:31:51 PM »

I had heard the 30/60 thing as well, but I'm not sure I completely believe it.  Keep in mind though, I don't keep up on things like that at all, as it doesn't really interest me, so I don't know.

And yes, when I say graphics are better, I mean slightly so, and it is referring to graphic quality.

LD

Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 11:53:59 PM »

Great impressions, Lockdown! Thanks for taking the time to write them down. I know what you mean about getting blown out in the first game. Always feel like such a rookie. I just started my league in NBA 2K7 (was $10 at Target so I thought I'd give it a shot) and am getting whooped.

The IGN review was not terribly favorable but they still gave it 82%. I can see their points, but overall the game is looking fantastic.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 09:49:03 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on November 21, 2007, 02:31:51 PM

I had heard the 30/60 thing as well, but I'm not sure I completely believe it.  Keep in mind though, I don't keep up on things like that at all, as it doesn't really interest me, so I don't know.

And yes, when I say graphics are better, I mean slightly so, and it is referring to graphic quality.

Lockdown, awesome impressions-I really appreciate the great writeup. I am absolutely buying this, but it may not be until around Christmas in case I get it as a present (and my wallet is just dead from so many different wounds!)-but either way keep the good stuff coming.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 03:45:34 PM »

I caved and bought the 360 version last night. 

I have no idea when I will actually start playing it seriously though.  What with Mass Effect, Assasins Creed, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, and Call of Duty 4 multiplayer on my plate for this weekend. 

Game overload.  icon_eek icon_eek icon_eek

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2007, 02:58:15 AM »

Some more thoughts...

+  Practice is a pretty neat mode, albeit nothing revolutionary.  You can play 1on1 as anyone versus anyone, from 7 to 21 points.  This actually is a great mode to practice your isomotion moves against the A.I. - which will become very helpful in games if you ever like to do that sort of thing.  You can also play halfcourt or fullcourt practices from 2on2 to 5on5, with the same scoring options as 1on1.  Lastly there is Freelance, which is just you on the court.  It's good for getting your distances for dunking, as well as practicing isomotion with noone there to bother you.

+  Each college player in the game has about 30 statistics, ranging from shooting to passing to rebounding to stamina to verticle leap to how many nosehairs he has.  It's nuts how much goes into making a player.

+  Getting back to the awesome training and stuff.  It looks like there are 24 weeks that you can work on specific training for each player on your team.  Each week you have two 'slots' for TRAINING and one 'slot' for CONDITIONING.  If you don't want to mess with this stuff at all, it defaults all training and conditioning to Balanced.  But if you want to get specific, you have 8 training choices (which directly effect a skillset) and 4 conditioning choices which effect different attributes.  You also get 2 specific DRILLS per week to take a specified player through.  The whole thing is just so cool, and really let's you try to improve your players.  It seems to me the lower your players' ratings, the more of a % they will increase with training.  But it doesn't seem to be ridiculous either.  You aren't going to turn your point guard into a rebounding machine when the season is over just cause that's all you do.  The incriments of change seem to be very believable.  It's not all peaches and flowers though.  The one issue I see as of now is that some Drills are quite easy, others just about right, and some are quite difficult.  Perhaps it was intended to be that way to avoid cheesy gains, but some of the shooting drills are quite tough, at least with the below-average players I am using to do the drills.

+  Legacy Mode is divided into two types:  Open and Career.  Career makes you start out with a team of 2K's choice, and you can not edit player or coaches attributes (beyond very basic initial pluses).  You make a coach and start your career.  Open Legacy lets you choose any team you wish, from any conference (I believe), and you can edit player and coach attributes until your heart's content.  One of the neat little things they improved this year is the Conference Card.  This is like a little stat card that shows the Top Players, General Information, Conference Leaders, Standings, etc... from just the conference you select.  It is a lot like the Team Cards from last year (which are still in).  Lots of neat information at the push of a few buttons.

+  I have played about 7 games or so now.  I have won a total of 1 game.  The computer is just a lot smarter in this version, and I am just such a horrible defensive player and playcaller.  I may actually have to tone down the difficulty to Starter (just one level above the easiest level) until I get a freakin' clue.  It's kind of embarrassing to admit, but truth be told, I can't tell you how excited I am that some of the cheese moves I came to rely on last year just don't seem to work anymore.  When you use an Iso move to drive to the basket in 2k8, you really feel like you accomplished something.  Getting open for that jumper is also a good feeling.  My fear is that the casual gamer who tries to play on an upper difficulty level might get frustrated if they don't dial down the difficulty.  But honestly, College Hoops (in my opinion) is getting complex to the point I'm not sure the average gamer is going to pick it up and enjoy it anyway.  It's heaven for me, but I think 2k better be a bit careful they don't go too far.  But like I said, if lowering the difficulty makes things a bit more forgiving, then it's probably a non-issue.  I just need to make sure the A.I. doesn't turn into Jack Stupid on easier levels, but instead just makes it a bit less skilled.

+  I loaded up 2k7 to compare the games earlier today.  After playing with the newer A.I. that plays so much smarter, the incomparable crowd reactions, the newer coach-on-the-fly interface, and the legacy additions, I don't know if I'll be returning to 2k7 very often except to maybe do a bit more comparing for test purposes.

Still LOTS and LOTS to test before I can render any type of final verdict, but like before... So far, so good.

LD

Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 04:18:08 AM »

Kudos to lockdown for the impressions. I saw he was playing the game the other night so I knew his impressions were on the way.

I am planning on getting this game sometime next month but im curious about the nosehair stat for recruiting players. I'm nervous to ask what minigame will improve "number of nose hairs". Also, have you figured out what is the optimal number of nose hairs for a jumpshooter.? Tongue

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2007, 10:36:50 PM »

Lockdown, you the man.

I'm wanting this game even though I just started NBA 2K7. I will have it, only a question of when.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2007, 12:32:01 AM »

Lockdown-have they still gimped the Open Legacy so you can't get all the fun achievements starting it that way? It drove me nuts last year that to unlock all that stuff I had to do the career stuff and as a result couldn't play with my team until the guys who I knew were 7 years since graduated smile I think if so, this year I will just forego worrying about the achievements and just start with my team.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2007, 01:05:01 AM »

I don't know the answer to that, Calvin.  I will see what I can find out.

LD

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 09:13:37 PM »

Well i picked this up yesterday for the PS3.   I was a huuuuge fan of NBA 2K7 and thought i'd give the college variety a shot this year since it's gotten decent reviews.

So far my impressions are that i really really suck smile

There are alot of things i like (most of what Lockdown mentioned), but man i really suck.   I gotta really spend some time in practice mode before i start my Dynasty.  The game just really seems to play really fast to me.   I got pretty decent with NBA 2K7 by setting up my defense and running plays offensively, but so far this game really is kicking my butt.   There are so many options on controlling your player offense and defensively that i'm a bit overwhelmed.   I tried to play a couple games with the manual in my lap and just try a few things out, but i just couldn't keep up.   Gotta spend time in practice mode and just a few games taking my licks while i get a good handle of the controls.

So far my initial impressions are really favorable.   Graphics are sweet and i've seen no slowdowns (since i'm running the PS3 version).  Looking forward to spending quite a bit of time with this the next few days.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 10:56:43 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on November 24, 2007, 01:05:01 AM

Any results on this yet LD? I am not getting this until Christmas.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 01:34:11 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 16, 2007, 10:56:43 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on November 24, 2007, 01:05:01 AM

Any results on this yet LD? I am not getting this until Christmas.

Dang it, I never did find out the answer.  I apologize.

Xmann - If you want the game to play a bit more like it's NBA counterpart and make it just a tad easier... you will want to speed up the overall Player Speed and lower the overall Game Speed.  In essence, what this does is make player animations a bit faster so it doesn't seem like they are shooting the ball or rebounding with 30 pound weights hanging on their body.  But in order to not make the game too fast, you need to counterbalance it by using BOTH sliders, not just the upping Player Speed.  Note, this is just for the USER, not the A.I.  They don't need any freakin' help!   icon_wink   Just a little something I figured out by messing with the sliders.

LD

jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 10:05:34 PM »

I have this for the 360 and am loving it.

The best feature this year?  2K Share.  Instead of having to purchase a shitty transfer device memory card ouija board bullshit thing, people post files to the share board and you can download whatever you want.  Within 10 minutes of firing up the game, I had current rosters with classic teams, custom sliders and a custom 1-in 4-out playbook.  Sweet.  Custom chants are also available, though I haven't d/l any of those yet.

Second best feature is the mappings that show you how to run plays like on a football game.  I now finally understand the timing of some of the screens and dives.  Makes the plays much easier to learn and run.

Overall, a good update to an already solid game.  Like said above, I do turn down the player and game speed to make it seem less frantic and more like basketball.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 10:16:54 PM »

Quote from: jament on December 17, 2007, 10:05:34 PM

I have this for the 360 and am loving it.

The best feature this year?  2K Share.  Instead of having to purchase a shitty transfer device memory card ouija board bullshit thing, people post files to the share board and you can download whatever you want.  Within 10 minutes of firing up the game, I had current rosters with classic teams, custom sliders and a custom 1-in 4-out playbook.  Sweet.  Custom chants are also available, though I haven't d/l any of those yet.

Second best feature is the mappings that show you how to run plays like on a football game.  I now finally understand the timing of some of the screens and dives.  Makes the plays much easier to learn and run.

Overall, a good update to an already solid game.  Like said above, I do turn down the player and game speed to make it seem less frantic and more like basketball.

Oh awesome to the rosters, cannot wait to get it!!
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 12:34:01 PM »

Well i'm having some buyers remorse now.   NBA 2K7 is still #1 on my playlist and i nearly bought it for 2K8 and now i wish i had.  Not that this is a bad game, it's just too fast for me.  I changed the game speed and it's still too much for me.  I've played a good 8 or 9 games and i still get hammered and i'm not making any progress.   Been through the practice tutorials, changed my plays, etc. and still not getting anywhere.

Anyone who's played NBA2K8 tell me if it's alot like 2K7?  If so, i probably need to go back to that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: