http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 08:37:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cold Feet: 360 Edition  (Read 5504 times)
Kobra
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2006, 10:57:44 PM »

Not trying to derail, but speaking of Carcassonne and stuff..

Rumor has it, they are working on DS versions of such games... My god, that would rox.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2006, 03:39:46 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 01, 2006, 03:40:05 PM

Quote from: shaggydoug on September 01, 2006, 03:21:08 PM

Forza 2 delayed?  Past Christmas? Can you point me to info on that?  I went googling and couldn't find anything.

I can't find the link, but I read that they announced Winter 2007 at Leipzeig, which would point to a first quarter release.  I have no problem believing that considering that even the video they released last week was still pre-rendered using in game assets. 

You appear to be correct sir: http://www.gametab.com/news/671997/

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2006, 03:41:28 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on September 01, 2006, 09:21:46 PM

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on September 01, 2006, 07:11:13 PM

Farscry -- I'm about honesty too, not for any moral reason really, just, it's easier to keep stuff straight when you always tell the truth.  The thing is, I don't regard this hypothetical exchange between CostCo and me to be dishonest in the least.  My logic is, I'm not lying to anyone, all transactions are taking place according to CostCo's protocol, and no one is getting hurt.

Based on the further information you and others (including Kobra's details on the company too) have provided, I'll renege on my view that it's ripping off the store.  Sounds like it's part of their system for better or worse.  In fact, given how customer-focused they are, if there's one in my area I may have to start shopping there.

I'd still feel a bit shady returning it, though. icon_wink Probably my Puritanical upbringing.
It may be their policy, but if it's abused consistently (which given the word of mouth it gets via the intarweb could very well be the case), it won't be their policy for much longer.  There's nothing saying Costco can't and won't eliminate that program if it becomes a liability.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 03:43:24 PM by Laner » Logged
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2006, 03:43:00 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 01, 2006, 10:57:44 PM

Not trying to derail, but speaking of Carcassonne and stuff..

Rumor has it, they are working on DS versions of such games... My god, that would rox.

Hmm. I'd be skeptical that it would work. I've played castles and while it is an immensely fun game in real life, I'm not sure how it would translate to DS. If it's a wholly online game I could see that being fun, but would they try to make it into a SP game?

<Should we start a separate thread?>

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2006, 03:56:16 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on September 01, 2006, 10:52:36 PM

I think GRAW on the 360 is the best console-based shooter I have ever played.  I think the only real weakness is the AI of your squadmates in the campaign. But the multiplayer is nearly perfect IMHO.  There are still PLENTY of people playing GRAW online.  You can always find a game.

I also think GRAW is a great shooter.  There is a group of us that gets together about once every week or two for multi.  And I had a blast with the single player, too.  Sure the squad AI wasn't the best, but I had no trouble keeping them alive and rarely had to revive anyone.  I would just put them in a covering fire position and handle the dirty work myself.  Then again that's how I prefer it.  icon_cool

The biggest gripe I have against it is the price of the expansion pack.  For the content they delivered it should've been $10 at the most.  I haven't heard any word on it but I'm sure they'll have a retail SKU containing both at some point.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2006, 05:36:04 PM »

How's GRAW in terms of pickup multiplayer?  I liked Chromehounds but I couldn't stand the fact you basically had to be in a 'clan' to play it.

Oh yeah, since Valkyrie Profile 2 is looking kind of grim (and since it's Squeenix I can wait for it to pricedrop) Yakuza turned out to suck, and Enchanted Arms is steadily gaining word-of-mouth momentum to overcome the shitty reviews, I'm back to on the fence about a 360.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 05:38:04 PM by -Lord Ebonstone- » Logged

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
dback99
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2006, 05:46:39 PM »

I currently own 2 games for the 360, Oblivion and NCAA 2k6, and I absolutely think the system was worth it.  I have a killer PC, but nothing beats kicking back on the couch and playing these games in HD.  

Im able to network it with my PC and view my photos and listen to MP3's which is a cool feature, especially when the grandparents come around and I can show pics of my daughter.

And as far as games coming out, i'm looking forward to Raw vs. Smackdown '07, NHL 07, NBA 07, Mass Effect, Viva Pinata.

Is it worth it?  I think it is.  I've gotten over 75 hours logged on Oblivion alone, so for me that game makes it worth it already. I have a blast with the system, and think it was definetly worth the $399 I paid for it..

-dback

Xbox Live tag: dback99

Listening to: volbeat!!

Playing: swtor, skyrim, rocksmith, ootp11
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2006, 06:07:19 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on September 07, 2006, 05:36:04 PM

How's GRAW in terms of pickup multiplayer?  I liked Chromehounds but I couldn't stand the fact you basically had to be in a 'clan' to play it.

I haven't had any issues getting into GRAW games at any time and no clan required.  However, a couple of people I know prefer Battlefront vs. GRAW because you can drop in on already running games.  No waiting around in the lobby for the next game to start.   Note that I haven't played Battlefront myself.  Just relaying their preference.

- shaggy

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2006, 06:26:24 PM »

I have never had a problem getting into a pickup GRAW game.  I have found that the playerbase is generally more mature than Battlefield. 

BTW I play Chromehounds in pickup games quite a bit (I was in the Q23 squad for a little while, but I don't really have the time anymore).  I don't think you HAVE to be in a squad.  But a squad definately makes the game more fun.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2006, 06:37:32 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on September 01, 2006, 09:04:25 PM

LE, my opinion is this. If you need people on an internet messageboard to convince you to buy it, then you shouldn't. Spending that much money on a console should be based on whether or not you are excited about the system and whether or not it has games you really want to  play.

Jimmy, there is a long-standing CG/GT/GG policy in effect. No going against the GT Forum Effect.  ninja

So you get back in line and shut the hell up.  icon_wink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2006, 06:45:04 PM »

Quote from: Laner on September 07, 2006, 03:41:28 PM

It may be their policy, but if it's abused consistently (which given the word of mouth it gets via the intarweb could very well be the case), it won't be their policy for much longer.  There's nothing saying Costco can't and won't eliminate that program if it becomes a liability.

It's written on every receipt. How could the web get to more customers? As it stands, Costco doesn't eat it, so they aren't going to stop it. Since they host such large numbers of mfgrs, any new business is forced to agree to their policy or miss out on a very lucrative deal. If they put out a sub-par product they get burned by it, not Costco. What that does is weed out the chaff products. Their policy eliminates the "Buyer Beware" that we've been accustomed to. Since they don't risk their bottom line, they're unlikely to change unless the manufacturers back out due to their losses.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2006, 09:25:44 PM »

Sorry. Momentary lapse of reasoning.

LE, you NEED to go out and get a freakin' 360 right NOW. Otherwise, we're all going to sit here and mock you. Tongue
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2006, 10:13:32 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 07, 2006, 06:45:04 PM

Quote from: Laner on September 07, 2006, 03:41:28 PM

It's written on every receipt. How could the web get to more customers? As it stands, Costco doesn't eat it, so they aren't going to stop it. Since they host such large numbers of mfgrs, any new business is forced to agree to their policy or miss out on a very lucrative deal. If they put out a sub-par product they get burned by it, not Costco. What that does is weed out the chaff products. Their policy eliminates the "Buyer Beware" that we've been accustomed to. Since they don't risk their bottom line, they're unlikely to change unless the manufacturers back out due to their losses.

Exactly, which is one of the reasons you GENERALLY find higher quality loot at Costco.. I was just talking about this very thing with my wife last night, who said "Did you notice that almost everything we've bought at Costco seems to outlast things we buy elsewhere?".  Well yeah, if the policy is, the Manufacturer EATS IT if it sucks, you can bet most manufacturers are going to stock their best kits at Costco.

Costco is lucrative for Manufacturers to get into..  Average costco customer makes $75,000 a year in a recent poll, thats tremendous given Walmart shoppers probably average 19K a year.  If a manufacturer wants to tap into millions of big spending customers, they get into Costco. If they don't, they lose a significant source of big ticket buyers.

The policy has been in force for something like 20+ years, it won't ever change, and has proven that a company can be overly consumer friendly, and still remain grossly profitable with a big customer retention ratio.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2006, 12:12:27 PM »

Last night after work I bought, from Costco, an Xbox 360 package...@ 46 years of age, it is my very first console.

In the past I have bought consoles for my 3 kids such as the Gamecube;however this X360 is for me  icon_biggrin.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2006, 12:26:21 PM »

Quote from: Goonch on September 08, 2006, 12:12:27 PM

Last night after work I bought, from Costco, an Xbox 360 package...@ 46 years of age, it is my very first console.

In the past I have bought consoles for my 3 kids such as the Gamecube;however this X360 is for me  icon_biggrin.

Huzzah!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2006, 01:13:57 PM »

Quote from: Goonch on September 08, 2006, 12:12:27 PM

Same here at age 38.  My kids longingly admire my 360 but their pleas are greeted with a resounding "NO!"   Tongue
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2006, 01:55:56 PM »

Unless I missed it has noone mentioned Gears of War, it's my number one anticipated title and is supposed to be out on Nov 12th.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2006, 02:33:39 PM »

Quote from: Mystic95Z on September 08, 2006, 01:55:56 PM

Unless I missed it has noone mentioned Gears of War, it's my number one anticipated title and is supposed to be out on Nov 12th.
I dunno.  It looks pretty and all but otherwise what makes it stand out?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2006, 02:47:06 PM »

Quote from: warning on September 08, 2006, 02:33:39 PM

Quote from: Mystic95Z on September 08, 2006, 01:55:56 PM

I dunno.  It looks pretty and all but otherwise what makes it stand out?

It's a tactical, action, 3rd-person horror game.

Some dude from Epic said that...so I guess the fact that it's tactical & horror makes it stand out.

It actually looks really boring to me, but I'm in the minority.

TheMissingLink on PSN
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2006, 02:55:33 PM »

I think GoW looks fantastic.  But something about it reminds me of Brute Force in the way it is being marketed.  That scares me a little bit.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2006, 04:10:08 PM »

Chainsaws are standard equipment!  What more do you need than that?!?

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2006, 05:59:22 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on September 08, 2006, 02:55:33 PM

I think GoW looks fantastic.  But something about it reminds me of Brute Force in the way it is being marketed.  That scares me a little bit.

You got that too? It's the "Four unique personalities" thing that has me skiddish. I HOPE it turns out great but I tellzya, I *am* skeptical. I'm not a big fan of the "shoot enemy 140 times to kill it" method they seem to have adopted. Haven't pulled my preorder out though.

Rainbow Six : Vegas has me MUCH MORE excited.

Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2006, 07:46:02 AM »

R6: Vegas is a modern-day tactical shooter with hallways and billboards just begging for advertisements.  GRAW, Ubi's last Tom Clancy shooter, had them, so why not uphold the tradition?  GoW's pedigree and setting decrease its chances of being tainted by ads, so it wins by default.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2006, 12:32:49 PM »

Soo, if you're running through Times Square and you see a giant billboard for Panasonic this would bother you? If the game is going to advertise products that the real world has up, then it doesn't bother me.

If Mario starts wearing Levi's though; that was never part of the game. You see what I'm saying?

Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2006, 04:48:03 PM »

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but I don't agree.  I'm not paying $60 for the privilege of running through Times Square.

But it would still bother me to see the Time Square ad, even when it's free.  I loathe all advertisements.  They're mind pollution, and I'm running out of ways to get away from them.  Now it's time for them to infect videogames.  That companies like Ubi and EA think they can get away with ads, especially when their games will still be at MSRP, is completely insulting.  But I should be thankful.  It makes the difficult process of choosing from so many great games a bit easier.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2006, 12:20:16 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on September 07, 2006, 05:36:04 PM

GRAW and PGR3 are (IMO) the best two games out right now for quick pick up and play multiplayer games.

The only issue with GRAW is that if you don't have the downloadable content and all the people you want to play with do have it, then you have to host. All the time.

Personally, I think the downloadable content is well worth the price they charged. I've easily put forty hours into just the new co-op levels alone, on top of the crazy hours I already had in the original four co-op levels and the singleplayer game.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: