http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 11:37:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CoH...is it worth going back to?  (Read 1437 times)
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2004, 06:16:43 PM »

I played this for almost a month or two and just got burnt out. Now that it has been out for sometime, is it worth going back to or is it just basically the same ole thing it was before?

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 06:44:29 PM »

Have patience, grasshopper.  WoW is coming.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 07:05:10 PM »

It is essentially the same game:  Take hero into streets or mission doors, kill all critters, repeat on next mission.

I find the charm to be in the missions and task forces, following the story arcs and the like.  I also find that the group you are with makes all the difference in how much you enjoy the game.

They have added a number of nice touches to the game:  just yesterday, I entered yet another office building, with the same walls and general layout that I've seen at least 1000 times before.  This time, however, there were icicles hanging from the ceiling and ice patches on the floor that were actually slippery (was fun sliding across 'em).

I'm still having a blast, and as I get increasingly higher with my main (L28 now), I'm beginning to unravel the relationship between all the various factions.  I'm also encountering new stuff that I've never seen before, and there's quite a bit of 'wow' factor there too (even within the same groups I've fought a million times).

Essentially though, it's the same game that you left.  There are no new powers and no new archetypes, and no real way to gain xp aside from doing the missions and random street-sweeping.

Edit to add:  The GG Supergroup has now merged with The Wanderers SG, so you'll want to look up Inspectre or Morgen on the Virtue server for an invite.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 07:13:28 PM »

Hey thanks DonD for the input. Looks as if I will hold out a little longer. I am interested in going back though. And Lord Ebonstone...have you had a chance to play the WoW beta? If so any input you can give me on that? Thanks...

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 08:12:00 PM »

I agree with Don. They are fleshing the game out with things like instanced outdoor missions, new zones and villains, badges to find and earn, capes and auras, the ability to re-spec characters, etc. but it is still fundamentally the same game it was before.

I do think it has gotten better since release. For one thing, mission rewards were upped dramatically so that it isn't necessarily far more effective xp-wise to street sweep all day like it once was. Some of the character types are also better balanced than they were.

They still have work to do, notably in the area of making larger teams worthwhile and adjusting the difficulty of the game post-22.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 09:52:51 PM »

I took a month and a half break and just recently came back.  After betaing and playing for the first 2 months I too was a little burnt out.  There are a lot of new things and balancing but the core game play is the same... beat up o nthe bad guys.   I found the addition of costume changes and capes to be great.  Although purely a cosmetic change they but more emphasise on collecting "money" then just  for enhancements.  New missions and zones also alleviated some repetivness.  I've been back for a month and really enjoyed it.  I dont play it nearly as much as other mmorpgs and thats ok.  I dont have the desire or the need to get enjoyment out of it.  I'm sure i'll be bored again by the time my 2 month game card is up an thats fine too.  Becuase, I know i'll be back eventully down the road when another big update and/or City of Villians comes out.

morlac00 on PSN
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 12:05:29 AM »

I really did try to get back into it, but I just wasn't enjoying myself in the game. I enjoyed my time with the Victory Sentinels and I won't forget the long evenings of patrolling with them.

*Sassbot Program Terminated.*

*End*

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: