http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 07:51:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: COD4 impressions (demo on pg 1, game on pg 2)  (Read 6322 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2007, 02:26:50 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 25, 2007, 09:44:59 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 25, 2007, 02:33:27 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on October 25, 2007, 02:30:35 PM

Quote from: StitchJones on October 25, 2007, 02:07:03 PM

This also has me pumped for Crysis.  I need to push my 8800 to it's limits. icon_twisted

+1  my 8800 gts has never been so happy!

I'm even wondering if I'll be able to run Crysis.  My Core 2 Duo is 2.13Ghz, and they say the minimim specs are 2.2ghz  icon_frown
Your rig will run it probably quite well. If I recall correctly mine is only a bit better than yours (unless you upgraded the vid card up-what was it?) and in the very unoptimized Crysis beta I can get anywhere from about 15-40 FPS with pretty much everything on at 1680x1050.

true, the beta did run at a decent framerate.  The 'Intel Core 2.0 GHz (2.2 GHz for Vista)' has me worried, but worse comes to worse it'll prompt me to pick up that recently price cut quad core  icon_wink  I definitely have the GPU covered with my 8800 GTX 768.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2007, 03:10:43 AM »

Vladamir Putin's COD4 Game Review:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27120.html
Is stupid. Possibly is funny if you're drunk already.  Tongue

We now return channel back to technical discussions and arguments. Yah.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 03:13:20 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2007, 03:49:36 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 27, 2007, 03:10:43 AM

Vladamir Putin's COD4 Game Review:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27120.html
Is stupid. Possibly is funny if you're drunk already.  Tongue

We now return channel back to technical discussions and arguments. Yah.

ShootinPutin187  icon_lol

Because I can,
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2007, 11:10:21 AM »

Strange, I felt a little underwhelmed. I don't really know why, but I never really felt the adrenaline pumping. I think I would actually like it more on xbox. This is the first call of duty game I've played on the pc, and pixel-perfect aiming actually seemed to deteriorate the whole chaotic-firefight-vibe I felt in Call of Duty 2. Also, I think the effect of a rumbling controller, and actually having to pull a trigger adds enormously to the feeling of being in combat.

Also, at times it felt a bit too much like a barrel shoot. I mean, you zoom in, blam blam, enemy dead, zoom out, scan for next guy, zoom in, etc. There was not a lot of running around frantically, evading grenades, ducking behind cover...

I sure hope there'll be a demo for xbox, to see if I can feel the 'vibe' there smile
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2007, 02:29:35 PM »

I wonder why the xbox hasn't received a demo yet.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2007, 02:42:50 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 01, 2007, 02:29:35 PM

I wonder why the xbox hasn't received a demo yet.

because they hate you guys  Tongue

Because I can,
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2007, 08:44:23 PM »

Because the 360 already had the multiplayer beta?

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2007, 01:40:26 PM »

Gamespy has some final "out of the box" impressions before their multiplatform reviews tomorrow:
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare/832781p1.html
Of PC interest:
On the PC, we couldn't have been happier with the game's performance. In both single-player and multiplayer, we cranked things up to 1920x1200 and didn't experience a framerate stutter (granted, it's a beefy machine with a GeForce 8800 GTX). The PC is clearly the best-looking of the three platforms, but that's only due to the small resolution bump; the 360 and PS3 versions are both easily among the best looking games on their platforms to date.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2007, 03:25:57 PM »

supposedly the single player is about 5 hours long  disgust

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2007, 03:30:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 06, 2007, 03:25:57 PM

That's insane.  This just changed to a do not buy for me.  At least until it's $19.99.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2007, 03:53:41 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 06, 2007, 03:30:24 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 06, 2007, 03:25:57 PM

That's insane.  This just changed to a do not buy for me.  At least until it's $19.99.

from IGN:

Rounding out COD4's very short list of complaints is the campaign length. On Regular difficulty, you can probably beat COD4 in 5-6 hours. As you move up towards Veteran (which really separates the men from the Marines), the completion time can get closer to 8-9 hours. Still, it's a very brief experience. At least it's a great one. Once you beat COD4, you unlock Arcade Mode. This allows you to replay the entire campaign or individual levels with arcade-style rules. You'll have a set number of lives and earn points for different types of kills. And, of course, there is always the multiplayer.

ok, 8-9 hours isn't too bad, as long as Veteran is available from the get go.

Because I can,
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2007, 05:28:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 06, 2007, 03:53:41 PM

But doesn't veteran just mean you will die more and it will take longer/more damage to kill the baddies?   It's not like the campaign will have more content.  I don't get it.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 05:35:41 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2007, 05:40:00 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 06, 2007, 05:28:59 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 06, 2007, 03:53:41 PM

But doesn't veteran just mean you will die more and it will take longer/more damage to kill the baddies?   It's not like the campaign will have more content.  I don't get it.

well, in the demo you had to play more carefully- run and gun didn't work too well.  you do have a point though- they really need to say if the length was from reloading constantly or needing different strategies.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2007, 05:56:28 PM »

fwiw, IW's Grant Collier insists that the single player campaign at Veteran difficulty takes him something like 20 hours to play. The easy mode is meant for casual players and new-to-FPSers and he says it's maybe 5-6 hours. I just wonder how much of that extra 14 hours is just dying repeatedly and working your way back from checkpoint saves, and I've had enough of that in MOH: Airborne to last me a lifetime.  paranoid

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2007, 07:32:43 PM »

i'll change the thread name now that the game is out. 

ron says the pc version is much much nicer than the 360, even at lower settings.  i'm curious how big a difference it is.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2007, 07:39:19 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 06, 2007, 05:56:28 PM

fwiw, IW's Grant Collier insists that the single player campaign at Veteran difficulty takes him something like 20 hours to play. The easy mode is meant for casual players and new-to-FPSers and he says it's maybe 5-6 hours. I just wonder how much of that extra 14 hours is just dying repeatedly and working your way back from checkpoint saves, and I've had enough of that in MOH: Airborne to last me a lifetime.  paranoid

Based on the drastic difference in play time, I'm guessing it's a LOT of dying and playing over the same section again. I highly doubt you'll be getting things like new levels and such on Hard mode.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2007, 03:32:21 AM »

Alot of it is also having to move alot slower in the harder difficulty levels too. Can't just run and gun it.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2007, 07:38:35 AM »

Quote from: madpeon on November 07, 2007, 03:32:21 AM

Alot of it is also having to move alot slower in the harder difficulty levels too. Can't just run and gun it.

I think this counts for a lot of that time.

You don't necessarily die that much if you're super careful, although there will be some sections that will kill you multiple times, but you have to move super slow to avoid death on Veteran. It's just like Call of Duty 2. Move slower and survive.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2007, 08:57:39 AM »

yeah, the play times include dying and reloading.  Started on regular at 11:15 pm, finished at 3:50am.  Not a bad game for 10 bucks-  I think they need to cut out the other studio that's been working on CoD and let Infinity Ward do the games even if it means they take a couple of years between releases.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2007, 02:12:39 PM »

If it's like MOH: Airborne (which I still can't quite finish, the Flak Tower finale is a pain), the gameplay will be 12 hours of dying and fighting back from checkpoints ad nauseam and 3 hours to actually go through the campaign.  icon_evil Tongue The COD4 demo felt far more "fair" imho (AI enemies missing now and then etc.) than MOH:A, so I'm really optimistic.

I'll look for this at lunch today perhaps. I'm not generally into multiplayer, but if I could join a group from here somehow, it sounds fun.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2007, 03:16:09 PM »

OK, now that I'm awake some better impressions:

I couldn't map anything to the number pad.  I swear I could do so in the demo, but this time around I couldn't.  It kinda screwed with my normal FPS setup as I'm used to using the arrow keys and mapping all the important keys around them.

damn the set pieces were nice.  It was cool to see more of Pripyat, even though I kept on looking out for mutants, the Order and anomalies  icon_wink

Make sure you sit through the credits- there's more actual gameplay right afterwards.

Some of the survival moments were irritating and were what added to the playtime, especially reloading with the checkpoint save system- between a few of them it added about a half hour onto my playtime.  still, most checkpoints were fairly close.

It was nice they ddin't cheese out with gimmicky weapons or enemies.

apparently Grunts don't get taught to open doors.

the AI was nice, but there were times my allies actually pushed me out into the line of fire.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2007, 05:47:15 PM »

I picked up the collector's edition at Best Buy at lunch -- not because I wanted the CE (it lets you download a digital version of the official strategy guide, and it includes a small hardcover artwork book), but it was the only copy of the PC version I could find in the whole store. Their PC racks are rapidly deteriorating into Circuit City style "no order, total chaos, guess where the game you want is, and lets mix the pre-order boxes and the new games together" madness. They bury games in the educational games section and vice-versa. It's a shambles.

I rescued a few buried copies of Hellgate and Tabula Rasa and put them on the top rack (although I'm apparently the last PC gamer in Northern Va.  paranoid), but this was the lone PC COD4 I could find so I nabbed it.

If I was unemployed, I'd just spend a whole day at each BB and CC store in my area and "fix" the PC shelves. Ah well.  icon_neutral

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2007, 04:41:59 AM »

Wow, what a prologue (albeit short). If you are motion sickness prone like me, you're going to find getting through the ship very challenging.  paranoid

Although I had to drop down to 1024X768 for a playable frame rate on my older PC (AMD64, modest ATI card) it really is drop dead gorgeous without necessarily requiring a monster PC to run. Just a glimpse of ze SAS in action (already seen in most trailers I guess):

I get easily frustrated in these things so I'm going with "Regular" difficulty as my miserable "training course" time suggested.  icon_biggrin

I probably need to update my drivers. I found one or two spots in the prologue where my screen became all meshed and pixeldy, and if I turn off shadows in graphic settings it has that same effect.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 04:44:41 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2007, 01:39:53 PM »

Wow, no shortage of multiplayer servers (1,200 this morning, though given the hour, many are empty), or players:

You can tell at a glance what servers are using voice comm. I'm not real clear what the 3 icons after the "speaker" mean (checkmark, Infinity Ward logo and "blue thing with a red circle around it."  icon_confused

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2007, 02:33:50 PM »

try starting a game and it will likely explain it... or maybe mouse-over the icons?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2007, 03:42:58 PM »

I think the blue dot is for Punkbuster.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2007, 04:06:04 PM »

Mousing over didn't do anything (I expected it to) -- I thought maybe one of them indicated whether Friendly Fire from teammates was on. This reminds me of some road signs I'll see with a stick figure, squiggly lines, a tree, and antlers on it. And you're like, "huh?"  saywhat

I had a hard time keeping up with my AI SAS team in the prologue. In fact, at one point, I turned around for one second, and when I looked back, the team was two rooms ahead of me and the game autosaved. I couldn't tell if it was on purpose or not, but I thought my squad was made up entirely of Sam Fischers or something. Meanwhile, I'm like Screech in "Saved By The Bell." ninja2

As with the demo, the weapons just "feel" right imho; and at Regular difficulty anyway, the enemy AI seems challenging without being robotic killing machines (i.e., they miss a lot and you don't get a face full of bullets every time you peek over something). I 'ave this pet theory it's easy to make AI that never misses, and AI that never hits, but it seems tough for devs to design AI that's somewhere in between.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 04:11:31 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2007, 09:47:17 PM »

My short review of the game (based solely on single player):

Holy shit. What an absolutely FANTASTIC FPS. This is a must play by anybody who enjoys the FPS genre in the slightest.

And maybe the devs over at Hellgate can take a lesson or two as this is how you design a game engine. I played through the entire SP game in one sitting without even thinking about crashing, and I played at max detail (which blows HL out of the water) the entire time and rarely ever dropped below the 30fps mark on my PC.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2007, 10:38:04 PM »

What specs, Destructor?  COD4 is the first game for my system where I've had to bump down the graphics to have it run well.

gellar
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2007, 01:46:31 AM »

Quote from: gellar on November 08, 2007, 10:38:04 PM

What specs, Destructor?  COD4 is the first game for my system where I've had to bump down the graphics to have it run well.

Well, my system is a bit overkill if I had to make a guess:

Intel Quad Core @2.4GHz (soon to be OCed)
4GB RAM
8800 GTX (currently not OCed) at 1680x1050 resolution
PoS Vista

It also helps that I never run AA or AF. I'll always take framerate over graphics looking slightly better. The only time I ever saw the frame rate drop at all was whenever I moved through areas absolutely filled with smoke. Beyond that, it was 30FPS easily, if not 50-60.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2007, 05:03:10 AM »

Yeah def a bit better than mine... maybe it's time to upgrade the vid card.

That being said, the last part of All Ghillied Up is the most annoying thing I've played all year.  Really sours the game for me so far.

gellar
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2007, 05:17:31 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 09, 2007, 01:46:31 AM

Quote from: gellar on November 08, 2007, 10:38:04 PM

Well, my system is a bit overkill if I had to make a guess:

Intel Quad Core @2.4GHz (soon to be OCed)
4GB RAM
8800 GTX (currently not OCed) at 1680x1050 resolution
PoS Vista

It also helps that I never run AA or AF. I'll always take framerate over graphics looking slightly better. The only time I ever saw the frame rate drop at all was whenever I moved through areas absolutely filled with smoke. Beyond that, it was 30FPS easily, if not 50-60.

hmm, I was running it on a system with Core 2 Duo @2.13Ghz, 2 GB RAM and a 8800GTX w/Vista with all the settings maxed and it was really smooth.  I think you should be fine with AA/AF on.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2007, 02:33:21 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 09, 2007, 05:17:31 AM

hmm, I was running it on a system with Core 2 Duo @2.13Ghz, 2 GB RAM and a 8800GTX w/Vista with all the settings maxed and it was really smooth.  I think you should be fine with AA/AF on.

While I could be, I generally don't see much of a difference (especially on a FPS) between AA off and on. AF yeah, to a point, but it's just not worth it in my eyes.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2007, 06:39:34 PM »

To be fair, Infinity Ward has been around for years and seems to have a great relationship within Activision. Flagship is a start-up, and I just get the impression their dev team is not exactly a cohesive, veteran team. I'm being nice about it in terms of Hellgate's launch condition.  disgust I still enjoy Hellgate, but I really have this vision of Bill Roper on this ship that's full of holes, taking on water, and all the crew is frantically bailing water out and putting duct tape on holes.  saywhat. Meanwhile, Infinity Ward is this iron bottomed schooner with nary a scratch on it.  mad

I think it's great IW set up separate launch teams for each platform (according to Grant Collier interviews), set no limits, and just told them to make the best use of the platform they could, and the end result seems to be that it runs beautifully on each platform.

I've loved what I've played so far. I know the storyline is not exactly original, but I really am impressed -- relatively speaking, it's not like PC game storytelling is Shakespeare -- with some of the storytelling techniques.

I was reading some grumbling at Penny Arcade ("Gabe" for some reason comparing it with R6: Vegas), but he seemed to be comparing Apples and Oranges. I would no more compare it to R6: Vegas, than I'd compare Half-Life 2 to Ghost Recon: Advanced War Fighter.  icon_confused I have told buds who prefer more "open," less scripted single player games to perhaps wait for Crysis but otherwise it has my wholehearted recommmendation to everybody. I just wish they'd find a way to do co-op, or give mod-makers the tools to implement that.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 06:42:15 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2007, 06:26:35 PM »

I gotta give Games for Windows magazine some credit -- was skimming latest issue. They declined an invitation from Infinity Ward to visit and play the game for review, with only writers and devs to test the multiplayer with. This would've let them battle with PC Gamer for "World Exclusive!"  Roll Eyes first review rights, but they didn't feel that would be a fair test of multiplayer for review so they declined the invitation.

Of course, by the time GFW gets its COD4 review into print it'll be irrelevant for most gamers (a month from now or thereabouts), but I think it's the right call for print, and probably their 1Up site can do an online impressions/review in a more timely fashion. I've blabbed here and there about various sites reviewing online-only games before they've ever even released (Eurogamer for example), and that's probably based on doing online play with a few devs or something. I can understand posting impressions early for the sake of Being First, it just seems very iffy to label something a complete review done under those conditions, esp. for online-only titles.

Anyway, so far I'm getting chewed up in the British SAS outdoor mission after the ship sequence. After dying several times, I decided to put it on the backburner for a while.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2007, 01:09:55 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 21, 2007, 06:26:35 PM

Anyway, so far I'm getting chewed up in the British SAS outdoor mission after the ship sequence. After dying several times, I decided to put it on the backburner for a while.

wow, what difficulty are you playing it on?

Because I can,
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2007, 06:41:51 AM »

Picked this up today (which was my first Call of Duty game) and wow, I'm having a great time with it.  Graphics are amazing and the gameplay is intense.  Very well done!  Might need to scan the trade forum to see if there are any older Call of Duty games out there and go back and replay them.

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2007, 01:20:14 PM »

Okay, can someone tell me where the cheat menu is.  I have read it is supposed to be unlocked after completing the game on any difficulty setting.  Well, I did that and all I got was Arcade Mode.  No cheat menu where I am supposed to see all the other modes.  I have collected enough intel that I am supposed to have the old-time movie mode, arcade, slo-mo, etc, but nope, just arcade mode.

I don't get it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2007, 02:37:49 PM »

Once you've beaten the game, load up any level (I did it by firing up Single Player and choosing a stage) and then once it's loaded, hit Escape. You'll see the Cheat Menu from there. It's really limited as to what you can 'cheat' though, unless you've found ALL the secret documents scattered among the levels.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2009, 03:30:29 PM »

Yikes has it really been 2 years?

I'm revisiting this. I couldn't come close to finishing it before due to motion sickness issues. My current Borderlands play seems to have made me at least temporarily a bit more comfortable with FPSs, and I've gotten to the cool C-130 gunner mission.

I have realized that I truly stink at these games so I'm playing on easiest (recruit) mode.  icon_razz

I think what's working better for me performance wise this time aorund is a pretty modest resolution (1152X864 or something) with details tuned up.

A couple year's late...

I've always loved IW's character models, even going back to the first Call of Duty (I think I mentioned earlier that some folks back then complained the characters all looked like they were bout 5 feet tall in relation to the environment, and I think they eventually got the proportions right later icon_smile)

Just liked the attention to details, right down to the rivets in the knee pads and eyelets in the belts.  icon_cool I'm sure if they go in an MMO direction later, they'll let you buy prettier belts from the Microtransactions Store.  Roll Eyes

And fingers! You youngster gamers don't know how amazing it is to see "fully delineated" fingers on character models in a shooter.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 03:50:04 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: