http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 08:34:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: COD World at War on PC, anyone?  (Read 5016 times)
kratz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2008, 06:42:45 PM »

I bought this today... curious if anyone else went the PC route for this.

Maybe check out the co-op sometime?
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 07:26:58 PM »

I have the PC version and would love to play Coop. I may be on this weekend but most likely be scarce due to a server install scheduled at work for this weekend.

My online name there is the same as here.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 09:02:11 PM »

I think mine is as well.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 09:14:30 PM »

How many people can co-op at once? I may be tempted to get this sooner rather than later if the co-op is good.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 09:20:05 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on November 13, 2008, 09:14:30 PM

How many people can co-op at once? I may be tempted to get this sooner rather than later if the co-op is good.

On the 360 it's up to 4 players for the co-op campaign and zombie mode.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 11:39:37 PM »

I will have to wait to pick this up till next week.  Too many games are causing my mind to overload frown

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 12:46:47 AM »

Played about an hour of the SP.  Pretty cool.  Nobody does a scripted shooter better than these guys... great visuals, great special effects (rocket attacks!)... cool beach landing, bayonet charging japanese... bayoneted japanese... creepy germans.

Hells yeah.
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 12:24:08 PM »

Great game and it runs like a dream even on my system. Just as good if not better than CoD4. I don't play online, but it was still worth the $$$ for the 6-8hrs of non-stop fun smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 04:02:54 PM »

I'm waiting to see if Steam is going to run a special on it.  my plate is still full with Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3, plus just watching the gameplay videos gives me that 'burned out' on WW2 feeling- maybe it's because the ones I saw were set in Berlin and not the Pacific.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 05:54:43 PM »

So far, I think I actually like the SP campaign better than COD4.  Some cool stuff.  Banzai charges!

I got up to level 11 in MP, just playing HC mode.  Pretty fun stuff... looks like tons of unlocks.

Vicious dogs are either frightening, or disturbing since the dead german shepherds look like my dead german shepherd. frown
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 07:42:54 PM »

I'm really not enjoying this game. I loved COD4, which was the first game in the series I bothered playing, and I'm a big fan of FPS-games in general. I've played through COD4 twice, and despite some issues with struggling to figure out your goals at times, it's a seriously good game.

COD5 however, is a completely different beast. It feels like I'm just heading into deathtrap after deathtrap with no chance of avoiding it without knowing about it in advance. The result is that I take a few steps forward, die, reload, use my knowledge of the upcoming deathtrap to survive it, take a few more steps forward, die, repeat. It doesn't help that your vision is completely obscured by smoke about half the time, and that the rest has you trying to desperately avoid running into the annoying amounts of invisible walls. See that guy over there shooting at you from behind that sandbag? Want to throw a smoke grenade then run up to the sandbag and shoot into it? No, you can't do that, because there's a fricking invisible wall in the way that's going to kill you because it will leave you stuck in the open while you attempt to figure out what just happened.

Even things that are supposed to be awesome just by being included in a shooter are plain annoying. Take the tank mission I just played for example. It was INCREDIBLY annoying to get through. Most of my time was spent just sliding back and forth while trying to figure out where my attackers were shooting from (which was quite hard, considering the smoke all over the place).

There's also little in the way of story here, unlike the previous game. In COD4 you had your two main enemy leaders to take out, and the story was neatly structured around this goal. COD5 just feels like a series of set-pieces with little actual relation between them apart from them involving your character and Gary Oldman or Kiefer Sutherland (I wish he would shout "Dammit! We're running out of time!" at some point, but time isn't a factor here. Only the location of the next script trigger is).

I'm finding it hard to motivate me to finish COD5 at the moment. It just leaves me cold. Consider me bitterly disappointed.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 01:57:18 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 15, 2008, 07:42:54 PM

I'm finding it hard to motivate me to finish COD5 at the moment. It just leaves me cold. Consider me bitterly disappointed.

I'd try and  make it at least to the Blackhawk mission which is a real highpoint IMO. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 03:57:38 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 16, 2008, 01:57:18 AM

I'd try and  make it at least to the Blackhawk mission which is a real highpoint IMO. 

Just camp in a safe spot behind a Sherman Tank for 3 decades or so for it to show up. slywink
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 04:04:39 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 16, 2008, 03:57:38 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 16, 2008, 01:57:18 AM

Just camp in a safe spot behind a Sherman Tank for 3 decades or so for it to show up. slywink

Heh Tongue  Correction, make it to the Blackcat mission...
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 05:14:25 PM »

That's odd. I found COD5 to be much easier than COD4. Sorry you were disappointed in it, but I thought it was a very solid entry into the CoD series, and didn't see anything about it that was particularly frustrating or broken.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 06:50:06 PM »

I haven't come back to the campaign much because I have been playing the multi non stop...  I'm up to about level 18 or 19 now... pretty fun!

For some reason, when I did go back to play the SP, it had forgotten that I had ever played... I'm wondering if this is because I didn't sign in w/ my online ID before playing the first time?  I had to start over, which is fine, I guess... just odd.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 07:24:22 PM »

Quote from: kratz on November 16, 2008, 06:50:06 PM

For some reason, when I did go back to play the SP, it had forgotten that I had ever played... I'm wondering if this is because I didn't sign in w/ my online ID before playing the first time?  I had to start over, which is fine, I guess... just odd.

Were you playing the campaign co-op the first time around?  I read it doesn't save your progress unless you're doing it solo.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 08:08:01 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 16, 2008, 05:14:25 PM

That's odd. I found COD5 to be much easier than COD4. Sorry you were disappointed in it, but I thought it was a very solid entry into the CoD series, and didn't see anything about it that was particularly frustrating or broken.

I don't thinking I'm dying any more often in COD5 than I did in COD4. The difference is that I'm now dying because of factors that are totally out of my control. In COD4 I always felt that if I died, it was my own fault and I'd do better the next time. In COD5 I don't even know what killed me half of the time, and I sure as hell can't stop it from happening without being plain lucky.

I can take a high level of difficulty, such as COD4 was able to present. What I can't take is randomness entering the equation. Sure, it might be realistic for someone in a war to get killed by an enemy he couldn't see nor know about in advance, but it's definitely not fun to do this in a game.

I've played a bit further into the campaign, and I find that the Russian missions are better than the American ones. What I mean by that is that there are occasional moments of fun between the massive stretches of frustration and lack of inspiration.

Hopefully they can do a better job with COD6 next year. Here's hoping. At least those of you who care about multiplayer are having fun, and that's good. It's just sad that it had to be at the expense of those of us who prefer single player gaming.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 11:13:20 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 16, 2008, 08:08:01 PM

Hopefully they can do a better job with COD6 next year.

In case you might not know, CoD4 and CoD5 are by totally different developers.  Since CoD 6 will be from Infinity Ward (CoD4 guys) there is an excellent chance it will be much better.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 11:51:25 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 16, 2008, 11:13:20 PM

In case you might not know, CoD4 and CoD5 are by totally different developers.  Since CoD 6 will be from Infinity Ward (CoD4 guys) there is an excellent chance it will be much better.

Do you think that's why they removed the numbering?  Or does Activision not care anymore if most people who buy the game don't know who the actual developer is?
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 12:15:49 AM »

I played through the initial american and russian missions today, and I still think it's really good.

I haven't died for reasons I wasn't aware of too much, though I admit there are some very brutal, crazy fights... I always thought that there were in COD4 as well.  Some of the scripted stuff is very cool this time around, and the Peleliu landing sequence was pretty nifty.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 12:53:38 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 16, 2008, 11:51:25 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 16, 2008, 11:13:20 PM

Do you think that's why they removed the numbering?  Or does Activision not care anymore if most people who buy the game don't know who the actual developer is?

it seems like alot of companies are dropping the numbering for sequels, like with the Gothic and Tomb Raider series.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 11:48:14 AM »

Anyone know how well it plays on aged machines? Consdering getting it for PC, since a friend of mine will...

A new one
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 03:23:49 PM »

Quote from: kratz on November 17, 2008, 12:15:49 AM

I played through the initial american and russian missions today, and I still think it's really good.

I haven't died for reasons I wasn't aware of too much, though I admit there are some very brutal, crazy fights... I always thought that there were in COD4 as well.  Some of the scripted stuff is very cool this time around, and the Peleliu landing sequence was pretty nifty.

I played to the point when the campaign switches back from Russians to Americans and I agree - I don't see all that randomness Tilt was talking about. I do die to grenades quite a bit, but that's hardly random, it's mostly because I am too busy shooting to notice the grenade indicator.

Tilt, maybe you are playing it on high difficulty settings? I am playing it on regular and finding it quite enjoyable - I am able to stay alive for long time, often without dying for several checkpoints.

Another advice is try to use alternative ways for your attacks. Flanking is obvious and very effective option, usually it's not a good idea to attack an MG nest head long.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 03:35:09 PM »

I too found it cheaper and more frustrating on occasion than CoD4.  The grenades are a big issue mainly because the indicator can be very hard to see sometimes so it was often too late once I noticed it.  There was also a few sections where the game seemed to want me to use a particular weapon to get through an encounter but was kind of obtuse on where to find it ("Use the Panzershrek? Where is the Panzershrek").  Or an encounter seemed to be designed with smoke grenades in mind but I would already be out of them. 
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 05:29:34 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 17, 2008, 03:35:09 PM

I too found it cheaper and more frustrating on occasion than CoD4.  The grenades are a big issue mainly because the indicator can be very hard to see sometimes so it was often too late once I noticed it.  There was also a few sections where the game seemed to want me to use a particular weapon to get through an encounter but was kind of obtuse on where to find it ("Use the Panzershrek? Where is the Panzershrek").  Or an encounter seemed to be designed with smoke grenades in mind but I would already be out of them. 

Hrm... I can think of two specific examples of what you mentioned above...

"Use the Panzershrek", in one of the russian missions with multiple tanks... Seelow Heights... there were literally at least 5 different locations to obtain a panzershrek and/or ammo for it... all of these weapons were pulsating/glowing.

"Use smoke", the one time I've been instructed to use smoke, it was at the very beginning of the mission. (Clear the mortar crews, Peleliu).

That's not to say that you are wrong to find it more frustrating than COD4... it may well be.  I still think it's good, and some of the maps and battles in the SP are really very cool (burning germans out of the wheat to gun them down? Yeah buddy.)
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 05:55:41 PM »

I'm with you, TiLT. The single player portion of this game is lackluster. First of all, it has all the WWII game cliches you can think of. Beach landing, check. Landing craft around you are blown out of the water before they reach the beach, check. A bunker is flamed and its burning occupants pour out the front, check. Obligatory mission where you control a tank, check. Another tank suddenly saves your ass, only to be blown to pieces by a *gasp* hidden panzerschreck (!), check. The setting is one big yawn fest. There are a few other things that I won't mention, because they are 'spoilers', but suffice to say it has all been done before (mostly in Saving Private Ryan).

Second, the game is simply frustrating. I'm playing on medium, and I probably died five to ten times more than any other shooter I've played in the past couple of years. I consider myself to be a very seasoned FPS player, but this game just kicks my butt at times. I've figured out what my problem is, though. I'm too impatient. I assume that, if I clear all the enemies from a certain part of the map, it's more or less clear and I can advance. However, this game insists on repopulating each part at least three times. The only way to get through this game is to play it like a shooting gallery. Sit in one relatively safe spot and point and click on each target until it stops popping up. This gamey feeling is reinforced because fresh enemies (mostly) take up the exact same positions as the ones you just killed. As soon as your gallery is empty you get to move on to the next. For me personally this takes all the tension and immersiveness out of the game.

Teammates piss me off, too. They are like moving blocks of concrete that stick to your back. Many were the times where I wanted to run away from an enemy or a grenade, but couldn't because one of those nitwits was blocking my escape. You are dead, please replay half the level. On three separate occasions did they block me into a corner in the scenery, where the only way out was to throw a grenade at my feet and blow myself up. You are dead, please replay half the level. This is all the more frustrating when you have to sit through a large section of scripting. That flame tank is kinda neat the first time you see it, but after waiting for it to clear the map for the seventh time I get very impatient with the game.

And last but not least: the weapons sound terrible. After finishing Fallout 3 these things just sound like pea shooters. Not to mention the fact that you've used all these weapons a million times before. The only cool thing about the whole single player game is the flame thrower if you ask me.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 06:17:23 PM »

Yeah, I died more in this game as well and some parts are just frustrating.  The Russian tank missions was just annoying, there were so much smoke that you can't see where to shoot or where the shots  are coming from.  The AI needs work, cause there would be an enemy soldier right in front of your team and they would ignore him. Also, they would wait til you move to a certain trigger point before advancing and helping you out (Reichstag mission comes to mind), I'd be taking so many hits before I even see a single AI advance.

I think CoD4 had a better story and less frustration but I like the MP of CoD5 though.  My gripe about the MP is the spawn point can be ridiculous sometimes, it would spawn you right in the middle of enemies or enemy's spawn point.  And some of the maps are way to small that it becomes really chaotic.

It's still a fun MP game though.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 06:43:34 PM »

Yeah, the tank mission was awful. Especially since there were lots of rocket toting baddies running on foot but the flame thrower's short range left you too vulnerable while closing. 
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 07:38:18 PM »

Quote from: Lord Percy on November 17, 2008, 05:55:41 PM

I'm too impatient. I assume that, if I clear all the enemies from a certain part of the map, it's more or less clear and I can advance. However, this game insists on repopulating each part at least three times. The only way to get through this game is to play it like a shooting gallery. Sit in one relatively safe spot and point and click on each target until it stops popping up. This gamey feeling is reinforced because fresh enemies (mostly) take up the exact same positions as the ones you just killed. As soon as your gallery is empty you get to move on to the next. For me personally this takes all the tension and immersiveness out of the game.

Actually, the real trick to these areas is to advance... that stoppers the flow.  It'll keep throwing stuff at you unless you keep moving up.
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 09:00:48 PM »

Quote from: kratz on November 17, 2008, 07:38:18 PM

I'm too impatient. I assume that, if I clear all the enemies from a certain part of the map, it's more or less clear and I can advance. However, this game insists on repopulating each part at least three times. The only way to get through this game is to play it like a shooting gallery. Sit in one relatively safe spot and point and click on each target until it stops popping up. This gamey feeling is reinforced because fresh enemies (mostly) take up the exact same positions as the ones you just killed. As soon as your gallery is empty you get to move on to the next. For me personally this takes all the tension and immersiveness out of the game.

Actually, the real trick to these areas is to advance... that stoppers the flow.  It'll keep throwing stuff at you unless you keep moving up.

In a significant number of areas that is impossible though. In some missions they even spawn (and respawn) enemies in areas that you are not able to reach. Charging there will just get you shot at from all sides.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 09:53:25 PM »

In a significant number of areas that is impossible though. In some missions they even spawn (and respawn) enemies in areas that you are not able to reach. Charging there will just get you shot at from all sides.

You're doing it wrong.  icon_biggrin

Seriously, Kratz is right. The trick to Call of Duty (and it's been true of every game in the series) is to keep moving, take ground, and flank when possible. It's not about blindly charging into the thick of enemies - it's about taking out your most serious threats, then pushing forward when you have an opening. If you sit there all day trying to deplete the infinite spawn, you're wasting your time, and if you try to just run past the enemies you're on a one-way road to Frustrationville.

I''m really puzzled at the people who are having so much trouble. I've played every game in the series, and this was by far one of the easiest campaigns in the series on normal difficulty. I can count on one hand the number of levels I had to try more than twice to beat. Sorry, but I really just don't see anything that was done differently here than how it was done in the past four games and expansion. 

Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 11:39:06 PM »

Iunno, I've played and finished all previous CoDs, and this one is just not clicking with me. Spawns are definitely not infinite, but enough to make the whole thing feel gamey. And my other points still stand. Oh well, this one is going back on the shelf. There are enough good games to keep me occupied right now. Tongue
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2008, 12:30:45 AM »

You tried out the multi yet, Percy?

F'n rules.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2008, 01:23:00 AM »

Quote from: kratz on November 18, 2008, 12:30:45 AM

You tried out the multi yet, Percy?

F'n rules.
+1

There are maps that are huge and is great for long distance sniping (Cliffside) but there are maps that are so small that it's really chaotic (Dome comes to mind). Very fun MP.
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2008, 08:08:17 AM »

That's true, CoD4 MP was awesome, so I'll give this a shot, too. I'm suffering from gaming overload, though. Too much good stuff has come out recently!
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2008, 01:18:37 PM »

My CoD clan has come to the startling conclusion that in general, WaW's maps beat CoD4's maps hands down. I think the big difference is the size. Playing the sniper class is actually possible now. Aside from 3 or 4 maps, none of them feel cramped like CoD4's often did.

The one downside is that they don't scale as well to a smaller number of players. This is where my clan is going to run into some trouble, because ordinarily the most we'll have on is a 6 on 6 or 8 on 8. Those kinds of numbers are just too small for some of the larger maps like Downfall or Seelow. I think what we're going to try to do on those maps is restrict our game modes to CTF and other goal-oriented game types where we know we will have people concentrated around certain areas.

We've come to a consensus to make the switch permanently to WaW, and it was solely due to the map selection. In general everybody likes the modern setting better, but the WaW maps are just so much fun to play that it was an easy decision.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2008, 01:44:49 PM »

I'm with you, TiLT. The single player portion of this game is lackluster. First of all, it has all the WWII game cliches you can think of. Beach landing, check. Landing craft around you are blown out of the water before they reach the beach, check. A bunker is flamed and its burning occupants pour out the front, check. Obligatory mission where you control a tank, check. Another tank suddenly saves your ass, only to be blown to pieces by a *gasp* hidden panzerschreck (!), check. The setting is one big yawn fest. There are a few other things that I won't mention, because they are 'spoilers', but suffice to say it has all been done before (mostly in Saving Private Ryan).

It seems the Marines get the shaft yet again. Its supposed to feel different because its a different service and mindset. So I guess there are no amtracs that could have been piloted from the ship to the shore and inland? No ability to call close-in air support or naval gunfire? No tank phones? (the phone-like things behind the tank that allow infantry to communicate with the tanker inside, telling him where to shoot)

I hate it when developers just treat the Pacific as the European theater but with more water.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2008, 02:23:24 PM »

Quote from: raydude on November 18, 2008, 01:44:49 PM

It seems the Marines get the shaft yet again. Its supposed to feel different because its a different service and mindset. So I guess there are no amtracs that could have been piloted from the ship to the shore and inland? No ability to call close-in air support or naval gunfire? No tank phones? (the phone-like things behind the tank that allow infantry to communicate with the tanker inside, telling him where to shoot)

I hate it when developers just treat the Pacific as the European theater but with more water.

There is definitely some form of bombardment (can't recall if it's naval or airstrikes) that you can direct on occasion.

Otherwise the key differentiation between WaW's Pacific campaign and the other campaigns in WW2 shooters seem to be:

- Flame Throwers
- Japanese soldiers laying in wait to perform suicide attacks
- A large amount of clearing out tunnels

There is also an attempt to display the lack of basic supplies at one point but it's pretty weak since you spend so much of the game scavenging ammo and weapons anyway.

In general, I thought the Russian campaign was more interesting and better executed despite the fact that much of it felt like retreading old ground. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 02:25:08 PM by Kevin Grey » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2008, 03:53:16 PM »

Aaaand, my GF (Bestest one in the world!) just got me this one! So, I'm in as well! how do I find you  guys online, is there some kind lobby where you can add friends or some such?

btw, game is installing, so my questions may be answered as I load it up, but am a bit excited right now  icon_lol

A new one
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: