http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 01:49:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: co-op gaming  (Read 2584 times)
stiffler
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 18, 2004, 07:29:34 AM »

My friend and I finally finished Baldur's Gate 2.  We previously played the first installment.  I was wondering what to tackle next.

I figure that Champions of Norrath: Realms of Everquest would be a good bet, as it is made by Snowblind, who made the first BG.  Is this one going to stray too far from the original formula that made the others so great?

I have the Dungeons and Dragons Heroes game, and know the Fallout: BoS is out as well.  These are the main co-op (not split-screen) games I know of.

Oh yeah, the Hunter games.  I have those laying around as well  (I think there are three of them), but heard they can be very difficult.

Basically we really enjoy the buying and collecting of loot.  Don't ask why, but my friend is a real nut for picking up and carrying every item we find.  Man, was he bummed when we beat the first BG and we couldn't leave the tower to sell all the crap we had picked up.  Something with a good inventory system is a plus.

So, any suggestions?  I do feel that CoN is probably the best bet, but looking for opinions on it as well as the other two and any others that might exist.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 12:35:30 PM »

Erm, now when you say Baldur's Gate 2, I take it you mean BG: Dark Alliance 2? Because BG2 was made by Bioware for the PC, and it's quite a whopper of a game compared to its console counterpart.

In any case, Champions of Norrath is pretty much the same as DA2, except with more crap(aka items) in it, tougher monsters about it, and a finer sheen to it. If you want to continue along similar veins of the other games you listed, then I definitely recommend you take the dive and follow it with this title.

Just be sure to understand, that the "rush in and hack like a mofo" tactic of DA games don't quite work as well in CoN. smile

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 02:50:51 PM »

Most definitely get Champions of Norrath - I've played them all, and that one is the best out of the bunch. Stay away from Fallout (will put you to sleep), and D&D:H isn't that good IMHO.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 03:29:53 PM »

I enjoyed the original Dark Alliance, but DA 2 was awful, in my opinion, especially in Co-op.  Where is the fun in money grubbing when the pool of gold is available to both of you?

Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 04:06:36 PM »

D&D Heroes?

Don't forget you can search the Console Gold site:

http://www.consolegold.com/Search.php
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 10:53:41 PM »

Yes, I meant BG: DA 1&2.  It would be nice to play the PC games co-op though, but that would take literally forever since it took us nearly six months to finish BG: DA 2!  We played an hour here and an hour a few weeks later, that kind of thing.

Sounds like CoN is the unanimous choice!  Fellow mentioned "more crap" and that sounds great.  I am actually interested in the fact you can't just "rush in and hack like a mofo" because near the end of the game my friend was the tank and that's exactly what we did.

It figures this is (and the apparent bore, FO:BoS) are the only two out of the ones mentioned I don't have!  Anybody seen it for a good price?

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 11:22:08 PM »

You're lucky in that they recently lowered the price of CoN to $29.99 (which is a bargain for the title). Cheaper than that, and I'd suggest trying to get it used through either Amazon re-sellers, or EBGames (and by using a #% off Pre-Owned coupon). Still, com' on, now.. $29.99? That's do-able.  Cool

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 11:35:38 PM »

Thanks.  I had not seen it for under $50 yet.  I figured it had to fall soon and it already has!

$30 is certainly doable (as $50 was clearly doable for BG:DA2) and if any games are worth the money/hour it has been these co-op titles.

Maybe the sequel will be out by the time we finish this one. biggrin

The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 09:13:30 AM »

What would be the best one out of all these titles? I haven't got any of the games mentioned, but my "main cooperative games-friend" has recently fallen in love with diablo2, so he'd like these games too I guess...

I'd like a game that's user friendly, has lots of cool loot, and where team work would be needed.
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 01:01:03 PM »

Well, my friends and I loved playing through D&D: Heroes together - 3 of us did, and it is only $9 now, I think.  So you can't really lose picking that up.  If you don't like it, no big deal.  Sounds like CoN is the main contender, though.  Or, why don't you just play Diablo 2 with him?

What systems do you have?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 03:05:25 PM »

Quote from: "The Rocketman"
What would be the best one out of all these titles? I haven't got any of the games mentioned, but my "main cooperative games-friend" has recently fallen in love with diablo2, so he'd like these games too I guess...

Champions of Norrath out of all of them. And I've played them all (BG:DA 1&2, Fallout, CoN). Solo, unfortunately, but I've played them all.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2004, 04:09:50 PM »

I *think* Champions of Norrath is $20 this week at Best Buy.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 06:53:58 PM »

For sh*ts and kicks, I went to take a peek at the local Best Buy to see, if CoN was indeed $19.99, and it is!

So best get to hoppin', stiffler. It's your lucky day.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2004, 07:06:09 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
For sh*ts and kicks, I went to take a peek at the local Best Buy to see, if CoN was indeed $19.99, and it is!

So best get to hoppin', stiffler. It's your lucky day.

My God, I hate going to Best Buy!  I bet when I go on my way home they won't have it.  I can feel it :evil:

Such a pain to drive by that accursed mall.  I'll report back when I get home.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2004, 08:50:11 PM »

What'd be even more a pain in the arse, was you driving there, and not getting it for $19.99.

Can you say JINXED?  :twisted:

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2004, 10:44:01 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
What'd be even more a pain in the arse, was you driving there, and not getting it for $19.99.

Can you say JINXED?  :twisted:

Oh you mean like WHAT JUST HAPPENED?

They didn't even have any in stock!  I would have actually paid the full $30 for it just because I drove all that way for it.  Now I am just sour.

I just knew it... :cry:

Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2004, 10:45:35 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
My friend and I finally finished Baldur's Gate 2.  We previously played the first installment.  I was wondering what to tackle next.

I figure that Champions of Norrath: Realms of Everquest would be a good bet, as it is made by Snowblind, who made the first BG.  Is this one going to stray too far from the original formula that made the others so great?

If you're looking for the same kind of gameplay then CoN is your best bet by far.  Personally, as multiplayer games go, that genre hasn't produced the great multiplay experience I've been looking for.  If you are open to other genres I recommend Gladius, Winning Eleven 7, Samurai/Dynasty Warriors, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004, Worms (non-3d), Power Stone 2 (Dreamcast)....  Those are what I can think of right of the top of my head.  What some developer needs to do is make a multiplayer RPG like Secret of Mana or Secret of Evermore or a competition game like Uniracers.  They just don't make em like they used to.   biggrin

Oh and you can get Gladius for the Gamecube for $20 right now at EB.

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2004, 10:56:18 PM »

Quote from: "Jack Burton"
If you are open to other genres I recommend Gladius, Winning Eleven 7, Samurai/Dynasty Warriors, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004, Worms (non-3d), Power Stone 2 (Dreamcast)....

We play Worms Blast all the time.  I'm constantly digging out the trusty old Dreamcast for that!  Is there a 2D Woms game on the PS2 or Xbox?  I might have to look into one of the PS1 titles (if it works on the PS2) because getting the DC out every time is getting old.

We tried the Dynasty Tactics game but it was pretty chaotic.  It didn't seem to offer much more than button mashing.  I found it to be a better game when played single-player.

Tiger Woods is a great game.  I have it on the PC.  We do, however, play some Hot Shots Golf on the PS2.

I just traded for Gladius.  Does that have a multiplayer component?

If I were truly a masochist I would buy another copy of NWN and go through that multiplayer.  It fits the bill, but doesn't lend itself to the casual sit-on-the-couch on again/off again gameplay we usually have time for.

Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2004, 11:32:58 PM »

If you are open to other genres I recommend Gladius, Winning Eleven 7, Samurai/Dynasty Warriors, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004, Worms (non-3d), Power Stone 2 (Dreamcast)....

I just traded for Gladius.  Does that have a multiplayer component?

If I were truly a masochist I would buy another copy of NWN and go through that multiplayer.  It fits the bill, but doesn't lend itself to the casual sit-on-the-couch on again/off again gameplay we usually have time for.

Yeah gladius can be played by up to four players but probably works best as two player.  Basically the multiplay consists of the two players choosing who they will control in battle.  The first player pretty much controls everything out of battle but you can switch off on that stuff.

As far as worms goes, Worms Blast is available for the Gamecube.  If you like that I also recommend the Super Bust-A-Move games for the PS2.

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2004, 11:40:11 PM »

Yeah gladius can be played by up to four players but probably works best as two player.  Basically the multiplay consists of the two players choosing who they will control in battle.  The first player pretty much controls everything out of battle but you can switch off on that stuff.

As far as worms goes, Worms Blast is available for the Gamecube.  If you like that I also recommend the Super Bust-A-Move games for the PS2.

Cool, thanks for the Gladius info.  I do like those Bust-A-Move type games.  I play Dynomite on my PC and Snood on the GBA.

The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2004, 09:01:03 AM »

Quote from: "Balshazaar"
Well, my friends and I loved playing through D&D: Heroes together - 3 of us did, and it is only $9 now, I think.  So you can't really lose picking that up.  If you don't like it, no big deal.  Sounds like CoN is the main contender, though.  Or, why don't you just play Diablo 2 with him?

What systems do you have?

Well, we are playing through diablo 2 now smile . He's an elemental druid, and I'm playing a trapper assasin...  But I've played through it a zillion times now, ever since it came out, so it's getting just a liiittle boring for me smile

But what are the alternatives? I have Sacred, but I'm waiting for the 1.7 patch, cause I don't care for it in its current state. And gladius I have too, but I don't think my buddy will like that one. A game has to grab him immediately, or he won't like it. But this thread has been pretty helpful in that regard, I'll check out the mentioned games, see if I can get one cheap...
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2004, 01:34:01 PM »

Well, there's co-op in Halo, which is a lot of fun.  Baldurs Gate 2 can be played co-op, and there's certainly a lot of buying and collecting of loot there.

My girlfriend and I are playing through Tales of Symphonia together... one person moves on the world map and moves the avatar through the dungeons, but both fight, and both can manipulate the menu (which you use A LOT).

Can't Battlefield 1942 be played Co-op?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2004, 04:33:16 PM »

The single player 'AI' is pathethically dumb, and that's putting it nicely. Avoid that game at all costs on the PC if you're looking for co-op.

Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2004, 06:48:38 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

The single player 'AI' is pathethically dumb, and that's putting it nicely. Avoid that game at all costs on the PC if you're looking for co-op.

Unless you play online with a ton of other people and play on the same side as your friend. biggrin

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2004, 06:17:42 PM »

They didn't even have any in stock!  I would have actually paid the full $30 for it just because I drove all that way for it.  Now I am just sour.

I just knew it... :cry:

Just to piss me off further, when I went in today they had 10 copies.  They were all back to the original price.  I will buy it somewhere else because I hate it when they do that crap.  Sale ends and the happen to "find" 10 copies in the back.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: