http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 01:12:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CNN's Morris on the Revolution controller  (Read 1033 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2005, 09:55:44 PM »

Very interesting write-up based on his hands-on playtime.

Some highlights:
I initially found myself waving my arms wildly, resulting in the onscreen pointer whizzing back and forth at blinding speeds... Once I figured out that subtle movements made for simple gameplay, I went through eight demos demonstrating a variety of features and possible uses.

So apparently you don't have to "wave your arms wildly" to be able to play with it.  It actually sounds like it's designed to avoid that.  So much for that frequently trotted out problem people have with the controller.

I effortlessly pulled off loops and flight stunts I've never been able to manage with today's standard controller in a flying demo, simply by holding the controller as I might a paper airplane. ("Star Fox" fans should start getting excited.)

That sounds very cool.  And easy to figure out and play.

By adding an auxiliary thumbstick controller, I was able to play through a level of a retrofitted "Metroid Prime 2" (a GameCube game). Confession time: When it comes to console shooters, I'm terrible. I can finish them, but I'm nowhere near as competent as I am with my mouse/keyboard setup for the PC. In the early stages of the "Metroid" demo, it looked like this trend would continue, as I was all over the screen. By mid-way, though, I was better able to move and aim – and enjoyed the game far more than I did with the GameCube controller. ("Metroid" fans... well, you're probably already pretty excited.)

It turns out I'm not the only one who has this problem with standard controllers.

"I was a developer for many years before my current role, but I've never been a very good gamer," Nintendo president Satoru Iwata told me. "I've never been able to control a first-person shooter, but as soon as I used the Revolution controller, I found it very easy to control the game. So, I think that's a genre that's particularly well suited for the controller."

All along this sounded like a great way to control FPS's on a console.

"When we first watched it, we thought, frankly, 'what the hell is this?'," said Jack Sorensen, executive vice president of worldwide studios for THQ. "The main thing is getting it in your hands. Once you do that, it's pretty intuitive. It's not about more buttons. It's about ease of use for consumers. ... I'm surprised and happy with the direction Nintendo is going."

Once again the idea behind this controller sounds wacky but from people who have used it and are developing for it, the controller sounds very easy to use, innovative and exciting.

Bring on the flames (again!)!
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 10:08:57 PM »

Wooo, awesome!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 10:25:26 PM »

OMG GAMECUBE AM CRY WEAK HARDWARE NINTENDO SUX WAY TOO KIDDIE

(preorder, day 1 [thank you hetz for making me realize you gotta PREORDER CONSOLES nowadays  biggrin ])

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 11:42:04 PM »

Sounds intriguing!  I'm excited for the Revolution!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 12:06:14 AM »

Sounds intriguing and cool, but with Res Evil 5 coming to 360 and PS3 I have absolutely no reason to own this console.  Shame too because I personally think of the three current ones the Cube is by far and wide the best built.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 12:45:13 AM »

but with Res Evil 5 coming to 360 and PS3 I have absolutely no reason to own this console.

I don't think there have been any specific annoucements of what games are going to hit this console as of yet. Resident Evil may continue on the platform.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 01:00:01 AM »

Sounds cool - Let's hope they use it!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 01:17:38 AM »

Followup from him:

Wow. Lots of questions. Ok, here’s what I got… Keep in mind I was working with a prototype, so there *will* be some changes.

Draconic: Start button will be part of the remote. No go change your pants. ;-)

Gegtik: I had some worries about wrist fatigue as well and experienced it a little when I was standing up and trying the demos. (That could also have been because I had my arm fully extended the entire time I was standing - remote control training, I guess...) But once I sat down, I realized, I could rest my arm on my thigh and could go forever. Weight… not much more than a CD, if memory serves. It’s been about a week-and-a-half, so it’s hard to replicate exactly. But certainly less than the remote control I have for the VCR at my desk

Rosewood: The grip was all hard rubber at this point. Dunno if that’ll be changed. No lag at all on the buttons. The A (top) and B (trigger) buttons felt natural. The start and select buttons are pretty small.

Turd: (Heh… I said Turd) Yeah, I’ve seen that video. It’s nothing at all like the demos shown. The graphics were crude at this point – and really were nothing but demos to show functionality. That’s why photos/video weren’t allowed.

Sharkii: Not quite sure what you mean by setup of demo system. The TVs stood alone, with the dev kits underneath (shielded by a screen). Didn’t try the adaptor. Wasn’t the point of the demo.

Iscariot47: Yes, there are sensitivity settings, but I think that’s determined by the developer, so it might vary game by game. Truth be told, I don’t really know the answer to this… it very well could be a part of set-up, but I didn’t go through that. Sensitivity didn’t change as I moved closer to and further from the screen.

Dextius: The demos did have an onscreen indicator of some sort, but for the flying demo (for example), the plane was your indicator. (There was no big “X” or anything.) In Metroid, your gun was your indicator, whichever way you swung the controller, your aiming would match it. Remember, these were early tech demos to show functionality, so weren’t representative of what the games will be like. We’ll have to wait for May for that. Precision varied. First thing I did was begin swinging like the guy in the video and while it kept up with my movements, they weren’t really appropriate for the demos I got. We’ll have to wait and see. As for their intentions, I have no idea.

Boxelder: Seemed pretty precise to me.

Lunatic Angelic: Not entirely sure what you’re asking, but when I did move fast and come to sudden stops, the onscreen indicator halted as well. It didn’t keep moving after I’d stopped, if that’s what you mean. It kept up with my fast movements, too, but for that particular demo, it didn’t help me, since it was more about precision.

Chris rules.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 02:09:39 AM »

Weeeeee! Me excited.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 02:11:11 AM »

Goddamn it.....I know Chris personally and I really trust his opinion.  Just stop it man!  You won't make me buy it! YOU WON'T!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 02:35:24 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Goddamn it.....I know Chris personally and I really trust his opinion.  Just stop it man!  You won't make me buy it! YOU WON'T!

Sounds like it's time for a GamingTrend exclusing interview with Chris Morris!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 03:53:58 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Gaming Trend, er, CNN Effect for the win? biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 04:20:52 AM »

I've said it from the first video showing folks "playing" with the new controller - The potential the Revolution represents has me excited again to be a gamer.  Whether that potential is fulfilled remains to be seen, but you've got to applaud Nintendo for trying something new at the console level (centered on gaming, not turning the device into an all-in-one entertainment solution) instead of just upping the graphics power and leaving it to the third parties to innovate... when you know the vast majority of what you'll get is simply more of the same.

YAY NINTENDO!  biggrin

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 08:36:57 AM »

It can be the greatest controller ever, but if the games released are in the mix of types we saw for the Gamecube it won't matter.  

Besides, if it's successfull for Nintendo you can bet that MS and Sony (who are already the kings of copycating) will suddenly have their own versions.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 02:03:37 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
Besides, if it's successfull for Nintendo you can bet that MS and Sony (who are already the kings of copycating) will suddenly have their own versions.

However, it'll be an extra purchase/accessory, and we all know how well those sold, right (see PS2 HD, the RAM expansion on the N64, the PS2 System Link, the PS2 Multitap, etc)?

In short, Microsoft/Sony might make their own version, but it'll only be supported by a very small list of games/devs. Nintendo on the other hand, will get support by all the developers, as everybody who owns a Revolution will have one.

Maybe on the PS4/Xbox 720, but not in this generation for them.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2005, 02:29:47 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
It can be the greatest controller ever, but if the games released are in the mix of types we saw for the Gamecube it won't matter.

Somehwat agreed.  I agree that it may not matter to the overall success of the Revolution, but even if the Revolution is nothing but ports of current Gamecube games updated to use the new controller, I think you'll see an industry-wide change in the next generation.

Even if the Revolution fails, I still expect to see controllers responsive to motion in Sony's and Microsoft's fourth and third gen consoles, respectively.  The reactions to FPS control using the Revo controller (in a test capacity, even) makes that an almost certainty.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: