http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 03:55:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Close Contact: First to Fight?  (Read 1340 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2005, 10:10:12 PM »

Anyone pick up Close Contact: First to Fight?  Some real human impressions would be nice.  Apparently (at least according to a few people on the GameFAQ boards), it got a shocking 2.8 from OXM.  Yipes!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 10:46:07 PM »

really? i went from not carin a bit about this game to bein mildly interested after playin brothers in arms (i thought the full spectrum FPS idea sounded stupid until i saw it done in bia and it was awesome)

i was hopin it would be a more "modern" version of that - but if its tankin it goes back into the i dont give a damn category
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 11:28:54 PM »

Well, it is published by Global Star.  Think of Global Star as Activision Value.  It is the redheaded stepchild of Take Two Interactive.  

Or in E3 speak, its the Kentia Hall of the show...where Games Go to Die.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 02:51:49 AM »

I'm actually glad it's terrible.

I've got way too much on my gaming plate right now for me to bite into yet another game.

I'm still trying to get through Chaos Theory, I have Swat 4 that I'm like 6 missions into, I'm back into Raven Shield again, still playing CS:Source, and I have a mild addiction to Act of War: Direct Action.

Plus Brothers in Arms sits installed on my hard drive waiting for me to start it.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 04:02:58 AM »

Actually, Global Star has started to turn around a little, with the excellent Scaler and the only-one-level-in-but-it-ain't-bad-so-far Spy Vs Spy.  However, those are both $20 games and aren't going to overthrow their Kentia Hall label.  Maybe they should stick to the cheapies.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 04:10:42 AM »

IGN just gave it an 8.0.  So those of us not needing another game may have to add it to the list.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 04:36:11 AM »

Thats too big a disparity even for IGN-something must be off with OXM's review or IGN is on crack, I have no information about the game at all, but IGN has been a little harsher than usual the last couple weeks (SMT:DDS only picked up a 7.8-gamespot rated it higher), so this is an odd score.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 05:08:24 AM »

Some are claiming a conspiracy with OXM tanking reviews before MS big releases.  I guess to get consumers to save their dough and spend it on the MS game.  Apparently, if you look back at pre-Halo 2 games, nothing scored very high.  Still, I don't think any game scored so low.  Maybe someone at MS is bitter that Close Combat is no longer one of their properties (not sure how that went down)...

AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 04:28:35 PM »

I rented this last night and i dont really know what to think about it yet.  

On one hand i see alot of potential.  The game is deep, as deep as SWAT 4 or Ghost Recon ever was.  there are so many controls for this game that most buttons on your controller will have not 2 but 3 functions.  for instance to crouch you click the L stick, to prone you double click.   The white button heals you, your mates, and calls a corpsman for a downed soldier.  this is of course a double edged sword because depth is good, but controllers suck for games with lots of controls.  

the fighting its a high point in the game.  Lots of times while playing a FPS you shoot at a group of people turn the corner and see another group of people 1 block away.  in that situation i always ask my self where these other bozos where while i was waxing thier homies.  Well in first to fight people tend to act more realistic.  enemies will reinforce thier comrades who are underfire.  Shooting the wall behind a coverd enemy can freak him out and make him run.  Killing a squads commander will create chaos in thier ranks.  The same goes for your own squad.  If one of you guys go down your team looses moral.  As this happens thier performance decreases.  they take longer to respond to orders, shoot less or less accuratly.  they will also talk in a frightend way take cover more often and even run away and hide.  

Sound is ok, it reminds me of the sound effects for Black Hawk Down on the pc.  One bitch tho, and pls Devs take note if you read this bored.  A loud repeating klaxon siren spanning the first hour of gameplay is not a good thing

Grafix are so so.  I would put them a bit beneath the recent brothers in Arms.  Lots of brown.  Muddy textures, and funny looking guns.    Character animations and ragdoll physics are really nice tho.  

My one big bitch about the game is level design.  it breaks down like this.  you get a mission and its broken down into lots of little sections.  each section is connected by a load.  Now i cant tell you why they did this but each section so far has consisted of a 5 mabey 10 min gun fight in and intersection or 2 and then Bam you are loading again.  Id say a little less than half of my time has been spent doing something other than shooting terrorists.  I really do hate that.

This game definatly does not deserve a 2, but im not sure it deserves and 8 either.  All in all i think in order to enjoy this game, if its good enouhg for that, i would have to play it on the PC.  too many commands and bad controler aiming = buy it for the PC.

AttA
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 10:03:15 PM »

I too have been playing this via rental and my verdict is.....yuck.  I agree with Atta that it is deep and had tons of potential, but the glitches just ruin it for me.  In the first 3 minutes I command my team to move to a point in front of me, and off they go just fine, but while running in front of me everyman's pack disappears from their backs before my very eyes and reappears 3 seconds later.  Wallah. Magically disappearing and reappearing gear.  Totally ruined the immersiveness for me.  And their movement animations are not that good either.  And as I continued to play there was more and more of these stiff animations and graphical glitches.  I am not going to list everything I saw, but man what an unoptimized mess.  At least the short while I played it.  Maybe it irons out later in the game, but I could not give it that long to impress me.  

But more than anything the game just felt soulless.  While playing I just felt 'so what'.  I took it back rather quickly, and I will admit didn't give it as much a chance as perhaps I should have, but I was not impressed and if a game doesn't grab me soon, I bail.  

I won't be buying this one at any price and though I don't agree with OXM's score completely, I certainly would not give it more than a 5.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: