http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 08:53:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clive Barker's Undying, Doom 3 Return to Castle Wolfenstein?  (Read 1296 times)
ravenvii
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2005, 11:32:14 PM »

Now that I've finished Max Payne 2, I'm wondering which game to tackle next. I need it to be short, as I'm leaving on Monday morning, and won't have access to the PC until June. So I'd like to beat whichever game I pick by Sunday night. I heard Doom 3 takes 20+ hours to beat? That's perhaps out. How long is RtCW? Is Undying worth playing? I once played the demo, and HATED it. Is that an good implication that I won't like the game? (The part where a door blows off, and you enter into this wacky hell-looking place with wacky skeleton things that you can't kill coming out of the ground and killing you in one hit. I thought that was just all-out wack).
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 11:36:38 PM »

I know lots of people loved Undying.  I appreciated what it was trying to do but I never got very far.  It just didn't do it for me.

I also couldn't get into Return to Castle Wolfenstein so I'm not much help there.

Sorry!
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 11:46:53 PM »

I liked Undying a lot.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 12:06:09 AM »

You can beat Call of Duty between now and then, but Doom 3 might take a little longer unless you devote all your time to it on Saturday and Sunday. Undying is a little slower at times, so I wouldn't recommend that for a speed-through. Great game though, just not one you want to burn through.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 12:39:27 AM »

I didn't get very far into Undying, but that was mainly because my system at the time couldn't handle it so I traded it.  Wolfenstein was fun and quick (10-15 hours, kinda glad it was a friends copy I borrowed so I saved 55 bucks).  Doom 3 was 'meh'.  It felt more like a chore than fun towards the end.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 02:41:13 AM »

I'd say Undying for sure.  It's a little older than the other two, but there's a lot of cool stuff in that game.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 03:51:56 AM »

Played some of Undying. Didn't like it much... it just doesn't hook me at all... I mean, I feel like I have no reason for fighting those leaping Howler things. And why are all the people in the Manor just there, doing their stuff like it's just everyday while those Howlers are all over? Hell, at one time I even saw a butler walk down a hall, his hands behind his back even, as two Howlers run up to him, claw him up good, and then came for me. Huh?

Oh well. Up on the trade block it goes, unless anyone can convince me otherwise.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

All three are good games. I liked wolfenstien quite a bit when it came out, but never revisited it. I have gotten halfway through doom3 about twice and cant ever seem to get the gumption to finish it. Its just...bland.

The best of the bunch you mentioned is certainly Undying. Its a wonderful game with a great story, some truly tense and atmospheric moments, a generally creepy disturbed feeling, and some good combat. The graphics hold up pretty well today, and it can be found for no more than 10 bucks or so. Too bad we never got a sequel. The game is also quite long by today's FPS standard, but the middle of the game tends to drag a bit.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 10:02:49 AM »

Quote from: "Driver"
I liked Undying a lot.

Same here. It wasn`t perfect, but it was interesting and lots of fun for me.
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 12:00:34 PM »

RTcW is my second favorite FPSer, right behind Deus Ex.  The maps are well designed, the bosses get your blood flowing, and the atmosphere is great.

I have had Undying since christmas, and have played it twice.  Really boring game.  Maybe it hasn't aged well, maybe it was overated, I dunno.  What I do know is that the action is so plain, the story so very not interesting, and the cheap scares don't jump the heart at all.
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 02:14:12 PM »

Undying was really good, but pretty hard, at least until you get the scythe  :twisted:   Then it's great, because where it was hard before, you go around killing stuff left and right, all like "how you like me now, beyotch?"

I *still* need to get RtCW.  BB still has it for like $30, so Im hoping to see a sane price, maybe at EB or GameStop.
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 02:19:13 PM »

They're all great games. Undying is the weakest of the bunch, in my opinion. RtCW was great and I was one of the few who really liked it. Unfortunately for you, none of them are short games that can be played in two days. Not by me, at least. I second Call of Duty if you haven't played it. It's one of the best shooters I've played and it was my number one game for 2003 and it's somewhat short (though not too short).

My smile still stays on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: