http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 01:14:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Classic RPG updates - Planescape Torment, Fallout2, Arcanum  (Read 15463 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2008, 05:10:46 PM »

What res are you guys running?  I don't have much trouble reading the text, but I also didn't bump the resolution up to OMG!! levels.

tylertoo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2008, 06:30:11 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 09, 2008, 05:10:46 PM

What res are you guys running? 

1280x600.  Still somewhat readable on my small laptop screen.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2008, 03:34:24 AM »

This is a bit frustrating, but I can't get the widescreen mod to install. According to the troubleshooting guide, it says I need to do a full install of Planescape.  I have installed and re-installed twice, but to no avail.  I didn't see any options for full vs partial installations, but I shall try to discover the source of the difficulty and overcome it as I would like to play this classic again.

I have the 2 disc version of the game, so it is already "factory" patched - that seems to matter in general but not in this case.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2008, 09:08:44 AM »

Arnir-

1. Create a "Cache" folder in your PS:T folder

2. Copy the contents of disc 2 into the Cache folder

3. Edit the torment.ini file to redirect the game to look for disc 2 data in the Cache folder (it should be at the beginning of the config file; just paste over the path directing the game to your CD drive to the path with the data on your hard disk).

After that, try to install the widescreen mod.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2008, 01:28:37 PM »

Right - just went through this yesterday with my old 4 disk version. I was shocked when I put disk 1 in and installed and it never asked for any of the other disks... forgot about all of the disk swapping. Don't forget this was what, 1999, when hard drives weren't all that large. The full install is a manual but painless process. Found these areas at bootstrike.com which helped tremendously:

http://www.bootstrike.com/Torment/docs.html

http://www.bootstrike.com/Torment/files.html

I ended up doing the full install, patching to 1.1 (needed only for the 4 disk version) then the 'All Inclusive FixPack', UB and Tweaks, the widescreen mod then lastly (whew) the crack. Ended up running it at 1280x800 even though my monitor supports up to 1920x1200 as at higher resolutions I thought things were just too small and too separated on the screen. 1280 seemed the best compromise to me. And I ended up (so far) turning off only the Morte 'Easter Egg' mod as I prefer him as a plain old floating skull. icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2008, 05:49:19 PM »

Copying of the files did the trick. Thanks, folks.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
tylertoo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2008, 02:24:23 AM »

Grr.  The widescreen mod works great on PS:T but the game crashes when I enter a certain area.  My screen goes black until I Ctrl-Alt-Del back to desktop.

I'll try a reinstall.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2008, 02:47:05 AM »

Quote from: tylertoo on June 16, 2008, 02:24:23 AM

Grr.  The widescreen mod works great on PS:T but the game crashes when I enter a certain area.  My screen goes black until I Ctrl-Alt-Del back to desktop.

I'll try a reinstall.

I had the same problem myself at one point and had to revert to an earlier save game.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2008, 12:06:08 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on June 09, 2008, 12:38:13 PM

Quote from: Calvin on June 09, 2008, 11:19:08 AM

I actually installed all this about 2 months ago in prep for my annual PS:T run (And yes, that means I am cooler cause I found it on my own!). It's still a struggle to read text sometimes on my gigantor 24 inch monitor, but I haven't really gotten started on my run yet. Soon I hope.

Yep, I have a 22" monitor, and while the widescreen mod sure looks nice, it's definitely a small font that's a little tough on the eyes. I have PST running in Gametap too, and I'd almost just rather use the bad graphics but big font, given the amount of reading there is to do in this game.

Has anybody tried running the game in portrait mode?
Can it be run windowed?
Oh, and I asked in the PST thread but got no answer: Do you guys like the Gibberling 3 tweak pack
or do you prefer a different set of mods?

I've not played it, but have a copy somewhere. Unpacked 10 boxes yesterday looking for it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 12:08:38 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2008, 04:08:49 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 16, 2008, 12:06:08 PM

Quote from: Jeff Jones on June 09, 2008, 12:38:13 PM

Quote from: Calvin on June 09, 2008, 11:19:08 AM

I actually installed all this about 2 months ago in prep for my annual PS:T run (And yes, that means I am cooler cause I found it on my own!). It's still a struggle to read text sometimes on my gigantor 24 inch monitor, but I haven't really gotten started on my run yet. Soon I hope.

Yep, I have a 22" monitor, and while the widescreen mod sure looks nice, it's definitely a small font that's a little tough on the eyes. I have PST running in Gametap too, and I'd almost just rather use the bad graphics but big font, given the amount of reading there is to do in this game.

Has anybody tried running the game in portrait mode?
Can it be run windowed?
Oh, and I asked in the PST thread but got no answer: Do you guys like the Gibberling 3 tweak pack
or do you prefer a different set of mods?

I've not played it, but have a copy somewhere. Unpacked 10 boxes yesterday looking for it.
G3 tweakpack is great, PS:T can not be run windowed.
tylertoo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2008, 09:07:47 PM »

Quote from: JCC on June 16, 2008, 02:47:05 AM

I had the same problem myself at one point and had to revert to an earlier save game.

Thanks, John.  An earlier save game works for me as well; never would've thought of trying that.  You saved me from a reinstall.  Now I just have to figure out how to avoid this problem as I re-do the quests since the earlier save.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2008, 01:55:08 PM »

Quote from: tylertoo on June 16, 2008, 09:07:47 PM

Thanks, John.  An earlier save game works for me as well; never would've thought of trying that.  You saved me from a reinstall.  Now I just have to figure out how to avoid this problem as I re-do the quests since the earlier save.

I was able to burn through the quests I had done earlier in pretty much the same sequence as before, and the problem didn't repeat itself. Since I haven't seen it again, but I am trying to liberally add saves in case it happens again.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
tylertoo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2008, 02:29:09 AM »

I went back about three saves and had the problem (black screen upon entering new area) happen again in a different area.  Not sure what to do.  I may start from scratch -- reinstall, then start the game over again.  But I have to say I was itching to complete my first run through, which I began at Christmas 1999.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2008, 12:02:12 AM »

Just got this installed with the packs and the widescreen hack and it's pretty smart so far.  I never played it much, so I'm looking forward to it.  I only wish I could get Achievements (I've become such the console gamer lately...).

Edit- Planescape installed and updated...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 06:05:23 PM by Pyperkub » Logged

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2008, 03:37:15 AM »

Would anyone be willing to see if this hack works for Arcanum? I don't see any info on the author's homepage. If it does, I'm definitely going to purchase Arcanum immediately. One of my biggest hurdles to the game was the low resolution.

TIA!
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2008, 10:58:14 PM »

It sounds like the final Arcanum patch was released a couple days ago. Should be able to find it at the Terra-Arcanum site. There are also a WIP resolution patch and also an extra content patch for this unofficial patch.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2008, 07:44:41 PM »

A new Arcanum patch has been released along with what looks to be the music. I thought that he was done with the patches before but more is always good.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=23720

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2009, 02:25:09 AM »

Did anything ever fix the problems gun users had in Arcanum? If so I may try it again. But I would want to be a gun user that can actually win.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Glycerine

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2009, 04:42:10 PM »

I've tried getting Torment to run at just about every possible res without visual glitches, but have so far been unsuccessful.  On the other hand, I can run BG2 at 1680x1050 with no problems.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: